Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Private Numbers'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Just answer the phone ffs. What are they gonna do? Stab you through the headset?

On the other hand - dont bother your arse answering it. If someone really wants to contact you, while being so secret about who it is, they can send you a text or leave a voicemail. Whats the worst that could happen?!
    Gophur wrote: »
    @ Anyone who refuses to answer a private number call

Not answering a ringing phone is the height of ignorance.

Someone is trying to speak to you and you refuse to answer?

If knowing who's on the line is in any way important you'll answer the call.

If a strange number (one you don't recognise) show, do you answer it?

Its actually the opposite is true. Phoning someone is ignorant. As Stephen Fry put it - Imagine if someone walked into your office and started shouting "Speak to me now! Speak to me now! Speak to me now! until you said hello to them" how you would react.

Personally, all the times I've answered a private number I've always gotten "Waaaah.... Is Johnner there?" or some other wrong number bullsht.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Why hide your number? I answer them but don't like it. Will also say it to the caller.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

StudentDad wrote: »
    I thought I'd throw this in here as it is afterhours :) Some intrepid person keeps trying to ring me using a 'private number.' However, I will not answer 'private numbers.' I don't know it irritates me on some level I suppose.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who thinks in the day and age of 'own number sending' that it's bloody rude to hide your phone number?

SD

I answer them, if someone is ex directory, or calling from an extention it will come up as a private number. Your only wasting your money calling your voicemail, then calling them back if its important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

donalg1 wrote: »
    put 0024 before the number you are dialling e.g. 00240861234567 when you use the landline next time and your number will appear.

Putting 0024x before a number will dial some other country, won't it?

On an Eircom landline, dial 142 before the number and it will activate Caller ID. Dial 141 to hide your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

The only reason I hate private numbers is because if ya miss the call you cant ring them back. It's pretty annoyin not known who it is thats why I would answer if I heard the call. Just hang up if its someone you dont want to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

you know that there is a button that you can press that can end a call, normally red with a picture of a handset. It has never failed me yet

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

:rolleyes:

I can think of worse things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Some people may not remember they have their caller display hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I don't answer private numbers anymore either. I get a load of calls repeatly from UPC, Eircom, Specs Savers and have a dozen other companies trying to sell me stuff and they all seem to be using private numbers. I always say I don't want whatever they're selling and to stop calling me but the companies don't listen to me and call back a few days later. I got sick of the calls and since they don't seem to take no for an answer I just don't answer the phone to all private numbers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Absolute bulls*it. If someone in a mask walked into the room and screamed "talk to me, talk to me, talk to me" would it be ignorant to ignore them.

Also, if it's that important, leave a message.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I thought I'd throw this in here as it is afterhours :) Some intrepid person keeps trying to ring me using a 'private number.' However, I will not answer 'private numbers.' I don't know it irritates me on some level I suppose.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who thinks in the day and age of 'own number sending' that it's bloody rude to hide your phone number?

SD

This question come up a lot here OP.
    My answer is still the same.
    You don't go up to a front door with a mask on and ring the bell - why should you do it with a phone then?
    No, I never answer phone calls if the person can't be bothered to give their number.
    I tell all my friends and acquaintances this. If they don't like it. Tough.
    Besides everything else - I just consider it rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

SD

I've tried ringing you 65,000 times. Will you answer the phone before i get in trouble :mad:

Biggins wrote: »
    You don't go up to a front door with a mask on and ring the bell - why should you do it with a phone then?
    No, I never answer phone calls if the person can't be bothered to give their number.

Valid point

Most of the time if you get a number of calls from a private number it could be from the same person but how do you know as there number is blocked:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

i never answer private numbers.

Me neither. I dont want to be told I have only 7 days to live:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Biggins wrote: »

Thought you were old enough to know better than that Biggins.
    What if it's an emergency? Loads of "what ifs"...

The mask at the front door is pointless analogy; people who call to your front door in a mask are either going to rob you or say trick or treat...what is someone on a private number actually going to do that's so hurtful?

As for sky or eircom calling from private exchanges do what I do...wait for them to say this is such and such calling from X and tell them to f*ck off. Works everytime and oddly enough I don't get many marketing calls these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

I hate private number phone calls...but answer anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

why not?

i like to know who i will be talking to, the call isnt important if the person is afraid to show who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Unknown numbers are the ones you need to look out for. They're not just private, we don't know what the hell they are, THEY'RE NOT EVEN ON THE F*CKING GRID MAN!

*hides behind couch*

I thought it was generally girls who didn't answer private numbers due to the high percentage of lads getting their numbers from others and trying to get a date.

Either that or fapping while they have the girl on the line.

Lads should just answer, we'd be lucky to get that kind of action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Hate private number. I usually answer it out of curiousity, but increasingly less likely to these days cause it always seems to be someone I dont particularly wanna speak to.
    It is a bit rude imo

I thought it was generally girls who didn't answer private numbers due to the high percentage of lads getting their numbers from others and trying to get a date.

Either that or fapping while they have the girl on the line.

Lads should just answer, we'd be lucky to get that kind of action.

No we're all shivering in fear at these private numbers:(:(. Scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This is why I don't have a phone. Why should anyone be obliged to listen to someone at any hour, day or night? Most times it is a non-call. They are just bored and decided to call someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

i like to know who i will be talking to, the call isnt important if the person is afraid to show who they are

...and you'll know who it is you'll be talking to when they say "Hi this is X".

It's a wonder some of you set foot outside the door of a morning, for fear of the unknown...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Worst is when you get a call of Private Number and all they say is .. "Well Ring me back will ya? " and hang up :mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wertz wrote: »
    Thought you were old enough to know better than that Biggins.
    What if it's an emergency? Loads of "what ifs"...

The mask at the front door is pointless analogy; people who call to your front door in a mask are either going to rob you or say trick or treat...what is someone on a private number actually going to do that's so hurtful?

As for sky or eircom calling from private exchanges do what I do...wait for them to say this is such and such calling from X and tell them to f*ck off. Works everytime and oddly enough I don't get many marketing calls these days...

If its emergency - my family, friends and business people know how to get me.
    They know my policy on security. They apply same too in a lot of cases.
    Additionally if they are that stupid not to kop-on thats its their hidden number that is causing a lot of their calls to go unanswered - frankly, I don't want to talk to such slow and stupid people.

If its anyone else emergency-wise, they known how to get my number - this includes state agencies.
    If anyone that knows me, wants to get me for some reason in emergency, they can do so quite easily.
    If anyone that don't know me but wants to get in contact with me, there are procedures they can use and they should know them.

I have reasons for tight security. Thats all on that I can say on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Putting 0024x before a number will dial some other country, won't it?

On an Eircom landline, dial 142 before the number and it will activate Caller ID. Dial 141 to hide your number.

No shouldnt do i use the 0024 and it seems to work for me, but sure try em all and one might work, and sure if you do end up ringin another country ya can have a chat about the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get people that won't answer private numbers. It's not like you're going to get mugged over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

I never answer private numbers, or numbers I don't know. I just like to know who I'm talking to first! 90% of the time the person will leave a voice mail, and I'll ring them back immediately (or not, if it's someone trying to sell me something etc.) And if they don't leave a voice mail, then the call can't have been too important in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I never answer them. If it's important they can leave a message and I'll call them back. If you can't be bothered to display your number, I can't be bothered to answer it.

Advertisement