Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Private Numbers'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

amdublin wrote: »
    Let's all calm down on exaggerating the spam calls.

I agree they were zero per cent in the past. But that is not to say they are 100% now.

As I mentioned already they constituted the majority of calls to my previous number.

100% more like 1000%
    How much time you wasting "checking voicemail"
    pressing the play button on an answering machine doesnt take very long TBH
    listening to the message as its recording takes no time at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    As I mentioned previously they constituted the majority of calls to my previous number.

But your new number is okay?

No need for the histrionics then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I refer the right honourable member to the previous two points.

my landline is unlisted so it shows up as private, sire i hope you never have a family emergency where they cant reach you as you wont answer

booboo88 wrote: »
    my landline is unlisted so it shows up as private

You can get that changed you know
    i hope you never have a family emergency where they cant reach you as you wont answer

My immediate family (mostly unlisted like myself) numbers all show up when they call me

in any case they can Leave a message....like how bloody hard is it FFS
    amdublin wrote: »
    But your new number is okay?
    Yes but nonetheless I still dont answer withheld numbers as in my experience no good ever comes from doing so.

You can get that changed you know

My immediate family (mostly unlisted like myself) numbers all show up when they call me

in any case they can Leave a message....like how bloody hard is it FFS
    I'm assuming you dont get the meaning of the word EMERGENCY:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

All my immediate family members live more than 200 miles away from me. I really cant envisage any type of <switch to big bold font for ludicrously over-dramatic effect> "emergency"</font> where the additional time (<90 seconds) to check a voicemail and call someone back is going to make a $hyt€ of a difference.

Anyway Ive wasted enough time justifying my telephone call handling practices to complete strangers. (Although LOL at the how worked up people get over how others choose to manage their own affairs).

Goodnight !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I really don't understand the logic behind not answering private numbers. Then again I'll answer anything... I remember once passing a phone box and it ringing so I went in and picked it up. Was just a couple of young lads messing across the road. Its only a phonecall and a phonecall can't harm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I answered a ringing public phone once too - felt freaky, but all it was was "Is Niamh there?"

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

I seriously don't get all the animosity towards anyone who would dare to ignore a ringing phone. What difference does it make if you ignore it or answer and hang up? I mean honestly, why does it matter so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not the not answering, moreso the reasons for not answering: namely that it's rude to block your number (the caller doesn't always have control over that, so it's nothing personal), they must have something to hide (a bit OTT and over-analytical).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah I answered a ringing public phone once too - felt freaky, but all it was was "Is Niamh there?"

I hope you hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I never answer private numbers. Everyone I know/want to answer to shows their no. Private no. is always "It has come to our attention that you havent paid your bill". I always know as soon as I answer because its usually a foreign person who mangles the pronounciation of my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I seriously don't get all the animosity towards anyone who would dare to ignore a ringing phone. What difference does it make if you ignore it or answer and hang up? I mean honestly, why does it matter so much?

I know! It's seriously crazy the amount of posters who are so annoyed that their private/blocked number doesn't get answered immediately!
    LOL fcuking crazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ah, Hello, Well, We've a summons below here for you, Will you be able to attend on the 10th, Ah Them drugs again, Yea, Misuse of Drugs. Good man.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I never answer private calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

In an emergency you should be ringing 999 - not someone's mobile. What did peoplem do in an EMERGENCY before there were mobile phones? Was the death rate much higher then?? What happens if you are in the shower and the phone rings and you didn't hear it!!? Oh noes! All the talk about paranoia on here because people won't answer private numbers, when some on here always do because they are scared it is an emergency - THAT is paranoia:eek:

To have your number automatically hidden is one thing, but to hide your number on purpose is rude whatever way you look at it. As has been said before, when they answer they are going to know who it is anyway, so why not provide them with that information first so they can chose whether they want to talk to you or if now is an appropriate time.

My opinion is that most people who answer private numbers do so out of curiosity. They couldn't bear to not know who wants them for something. They get pissed off if they don't answer in time cos now they will never know who it was!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

oh - whats this - the payphone in the local hospital ..... is a blocked / non-number.

/thread.

(ok maybe not entirely true, i havent checked, but for all you know it could be)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

EGAR wrote: »
    I never answer private calls.
    Neither do I. You've got direct access to my pocket. At least have the decency to let me know who I'm answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I dont have my number on private, but I dont get what the big deal about it is. As a matter of fact, if I decided I wasn't going to answer private calls, I wouldn't have gotten a job. So go right ahead and ignore private calls. More job interviews for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

DjFlin wrote: »
    I dont have my number on private, but I dont get what the big deal about it is. As a matter of fact, if I decided I wasn't going to answer private calls, I wouldn't have gotten a job. So go right ahead and ignore private calls. More job interviews for me.
    In my experience calls offering job interviews leave a voice mail owing to the fact that these people have the cop on to consider the real possibility that you're not available, thus the purpose of voice mail, so that makes your statement all the more ridiculous :rolleyes:

In general terms however the advent of the mobile phone means anybody anywhere can get to you at any time. There are times when there are some people we don't actually want to talk to and caller ID lets us know who's calling so we can decide if we're in the mood for chat with that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Biggins wrote: »
    If its emergency - my family, friends and business people know how to get me.
    If its anyone else emergency-wise, they known how to get my number - this includes state agencies.
    If anyone that knows me, wants to get me for some reason in emergency, they can do so quite easily.
    If anyone that don't know me but wants to get in contact with me, there are procedures they can use and they should know them.

Does it involve shining a big light from the top of a building .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I dont answer private numbers either ... if you dont want me to know who you are, dont expect me to talk to you.

This thread reeks of paranoia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I never answer them. It's always a recruitment agency ringing with some job I'm not interested in applying for. I just ring them back or email when it suits me to, I don't take calls from people who are trying to sell me something when it suits them to make the call.

And if whoever it is doesn't leave a message then it's just not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Just answer the phone ffs. What are they gonna do? Stab you through the headset?

No, if its pricewaterhouse coopers, then they'll hold up your day to do a survey, and ALWAYS ring on private no

[QUOTE=Gophur;74414792]@ Anyone who refuses to answer a private number call

Not answering a ringing phone is the height of ignorance.

Someone is trying to speak to you and you refuse to answer?

If knowing who's on the line is in any way important you'll answer the call.

If a strange number (one you don't recognise) show, do you answer it?[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: do you happen to work for them by any chance :D

Here's the thing. What have you got to hide that you conceal your number?

Yes, I will answer a strange number. At least I can call you back, coz I have your number.

+1, exactly, the number is hidden to trick you into answering, as far as Im concerned (regarding ntl/pwhc/any other business looking for you to answer a survey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Abi wrote: »
    No, worse. It could be my mother.

Hey, a kindred spirit :D
    It could be my mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dudess wrote: »

Was she? Or what did you do with her?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

There's 4 people/companies likely to call me from a private number:
    1. douche #1
    2. douche #2
    3. some company who assume is NTL, who don't leave messages. Thereby confirming there was no need to pick up.
    4. A friend of mine who leaves a message because he knows about the above.

<Sheldon mode> Ergo, no need to answer. </Sheldon mode>

But more importantly, I hope Niamh got the message in the end. Sounds like a tragic affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I never answer them. It's always a recruitment agency ringing with some job I'm not interested in applying for. I just ring them back or email when it suits me to, I don't take calls from people who are trying to sell me something when it suits them to make the call.

And if whoever it is doesn't leave a message then it's just not important.

^^This.
    It really is as easy as that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My folks house phone comes up as private number and they dont know how to change it so I have to answer them!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement