Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Private Numbers'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have my iPhone jailbroken, and use iBlacklist to automatically bounce all private and unknown numbers (Yup, there's a difference) directly to voicemail. My voicemail then tells them that I'm unavailable, and if by chance they're calling from a blocked number that the phone rejects blocked calls, and to leave a voicemail. Covers all angles.

It's my phone, not yours, I'll chose how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

when you buy a house and take out insurance and install things like landlines etc you seem to go on to every marketing list in the country. My door would knock at least twice a day

Hello this is airtricity/sky/bord gas/jehovas/kids wanting sponsored /travellers selling/charity workers for whatever.Until I left flatland and moved into an estate I had no idea of the amount of visits you would get from these people.

The phone is no different. Half the phone calls you are subjected to are bullsh*t.

Why should you let your dinner go cold or miss part of the film you were watching or rush out of the bathroom to deal with this drivel? Its not paranoia its just irritation. Eventually after a year or two living here I decided to take a spam approach both to door knocks and to calls. Any genuine visits I always know about in advance otherwise the door goes unanswered. My friends and families numbers show up in my phone.If someone hangs up and leaves a voicemail I will always check it and return the call if its genuine otherwise I ignore it.The mysterious callers rarely do leave voicemails which shows it was an unimportant call. Previous generations would never have dreamt of not answering the phone or door but they werent drowning in the amount of marketing drivel that we are. I think(depending on where you are living) that you could become a slave to your phone or your doorbell. I think you need to have controls in place. I have had this policy in place for several years with no negative consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I always answer private numbers.

Just hang up if you don't want to talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

fair enough - miss the wedding/funeral/night out/old mate/interview/ex grovelling for your help and or privates

you can never be too careful betty, thats what i keep tellin these young folk, answerin blocked numbers, sure its madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Imagine being so scared you might miss something. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

How everyone should respond to cold callers :)

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I answer the phone when it rings because lots of people in work and customers have my number and their internal phone systems sometimes have caller ID blocked..

Youre using your phone for business purposes so of course youre going to answer it. Similarly a person looking for a job would probably take all calls (although why the fup a prospective employer wouldnt leave a voicemail is beyond me)

However Id safely wager that for the majority of people here are neither looking for a job or running a business right now (or if they are they use a separate phone for business) so your point is pretty irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ah, still loving UPC's *90 service :D

If anyone calls me from a private number, they get "The person you are calling does not wish to talk to callers who set their number to private.... "

Bliss! Even UPC can't get through to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

If you have a Samsung phone you can easily block the number in your 'Calls settings' but if you dont then you can download an app 'Call Control' and put any number or private numbers on your blacklist causing them calls to be bounced once they ring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My parent's house phone is a private number because my mother didn't want it in the phonebook, caused me endless grief in school/college when I had no credit in my mobile and needed to call friends, they never answered the feckin thing. I don't get it, such suspicion people have about private numbers, so what? Hang up if the person annoys you/tries to sell you something, is that not an option no? I answer all private numbers on my private and work mobiles and have never had a prank call or someone trying to sell me something, I've actually answered a few mobile numbers that were people trying to sell me advertising stuff, thought it was safe enough to answer mobile numbers! Just answer the bloody thing, the worst that can happen is that you have to hang up the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Sorry, I didn't mean a blind date. More someone who might have met the girl once and wants to pursue things further even though she has no interest.

Also, a mate of mine's little sister had a phantom fapper who used to call from a private number, Gardaí couldn't do much about it.

This happened to me a few years ago. I know it was a guy from school but he denied it and I had no proof. It was really gross and went on for over 3 years until I went to college. I changed my number 3 times but he got it everytime. My grandmother was in hospital a few times in that time so my aunt would call me and her house number was a private number so I had to answer meaning if it wasn't my aunt I got one of those phone calls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can override Caller ID default settings like this:

So, there's no excuse :D

Send Caller ID:

Landlines : (Eircom, UPC, Smart Telecom and even Blueface)
    Prefix with 142.

Mobiles:
    Prefix with *34# (or check menus)

Withhold Caller ID:

Landlines : (Eircom, UPC, Smart Telecom and even Blueface)
    Prefix with 141

Mobiles:
    Prefix with #34#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Brian017

I never answer Private Numbers. If it's important they are welcome to leave a voicemail and i'll get back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Acoshla wrote: »
    My parent's house phone is a private number because my mother didn't want it in the phonebook
    So when you said the following to your mother
    Acoshla wrote: »
    Hang up if the person annoys you/tries to sell you something, is that not an option no?

Just answer the bloody thing, the worst that can happen is that you have to hang up the phone.
    could you still not convince her to make her number public?

If not why not? people who do not answer probably have similar reasons as she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I got a call from the Garda station, it was a private number. Glad i answered it.

Oh and i always answer private numbers, doesnt take too long to figure out who is calling and if i want to talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Solair wrote: »
    Ah, still loving UPC's *90 service :D

If anyone calls me from a private number, they get "The person you are calling does not wish to talk to callers who set their number to private.... "

Bliss! Even UPC can't get through to me :D

The ultimate paradox! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Been getting calls on my phone from Optical Express, I don't want to hear from them so everytime I see the uk number I don't answer.

They've been trying to call me on a private number too lately, I just send them straight to voicemail.

Why do people even use private numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

seanbmc wrote: »
    Been getting calls on my phone from Optical Express, I don't want to hear from them so everytime I see the uk number I don't answer.

They've been trying to call me on a private number too lately, I just send them straight to voicemail.

Why do people even use private numbers?

I either use it to ring back a number I dont reckonize or when I'm pranking somebody

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Nearly all private numbers that come to my phone are sales calls, if its that important they can leave me a message and I'll get back to them. They never show their number and never leave a voicemail so its obviously not important so why should I waste my time talking to them.. thats my logic anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I never answer anymore. I get 3 or 4 calls a week from MBNA, asking to make extra payments even thou i have set up a weekily standing order and im not in arrears. The calls used to be from India. I complained several times and nothing happened. All of a sudden they stopped for a couple of weeks and then started up again. I answered and the girl said that the service had moved back to ireland and the details were lost but she would make sure the calls stopped. Well they havent and they are bloody annoying. As i dont like to be rude or angry at some poor soul who is not responsible and just doing their job and i figure it must be costing them an awful lot to ring me so sometimes ill never answer other times ill answer and leave the phone down and continue on with what im doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

some ESB depts call from private numbers and then ask you to confirm your details, answer private questions etc. If that is'nt setting your customers up to be scammed I don't know what is. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'll answer private numbers, worse that can happen is it's a telemarketer, you tell them to eff off and hang up.
    What I hate is genuine callers using private number, and not leaving a voice message, so all you know is that someone tried to ring you, but you have no idea who it was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Cant stand people who purposely block their number. "Friend" of mine is a complete gadget freak, always has the latest iphone (and is always telling people about how great it is) but despite the all singing all dancing phone, he will rarely if ever leave a voicemail, send a follow up text or an email. He insists on always ringing with a blocked number and generally keeps it up, once a day or so, untill he gets bored and gives up.

What i dislike about it in this case is that its used as a ploy to catch me on the hop. Hes always asking me to do things for him, (yeah sexy things) or inviting me to places I have no interest in going. Obviously by catching me unawares its harder to make up a story about washing my hair or whatever. Christ I hate that. People should always be given the option to make up some bull**** to get out of engagements IMO, its only manners!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Don't answer private numbers unless I am expecting an important phonecall, I don't see the point in people having their number blocked the whole time especially when you're trying to get a hold of family or friends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just dunno how anybody talked to anybody before caller id existed. Lots of unused phones back then I tells ya

jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Don't answer any private numbers, it's usually someone looking to relieve me of my hard-earned cash in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

got a call of a private number earlier.

answered...

low and behold i now have a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

robbie_998 wrote: »
    got a call of a private number earlier.

answered...

low and behold i now have a new job.

The sneaky bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Bambi wrote: »
    The sneaky bastards

no... no their not.... its just whatever way the phones are set up in the company.

just answer private numbers... its not the end of the world if you do.

Gardai also call from private numbers. (im sure they'll be pissed if you ignored them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I just got a call from a private number. Was online and as soon as I attempted to answer. The call stopped.

Advertisement