Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is George Gibney?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lives destroyed. Shocking trail of destruction left in Gibneys path of selfish pleasure.

BPKS wrote: »
    Another difficult listen today - the life that poor 'Susan' had because of this horrible b@stard.

Again, I hope the legal people who ensured he escaped justice listened to this and get a sick feeling and a few sleepless nights from it.

Legal people don’t have it in them to feel anything other than what they made from getting him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah I listened to this on the way in to work this morning and jaysus I was none the better for it. Very grim story. It really is shameful that there is no justice for the victims. Is it not possible for the victims to take a civil case or is there a statute of limitation on those as well? The legal people who got him off will burn in hell with him.

Can't imagine how guilty the parents must feel knowing that they unwittingly transported their kids to this guy to be abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I get the impression that the primary function of this podcast is not to reveal an explosive fact about the case that no one knew before, but to give the survivors a voice. To make them three dimensional and human and more than just details in Gibney’s charge sheet. And I think it does a good job of that - while we get details of Gibney’s background, it’s the survivors who I think are at the centre of the pod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I get the impression that the primary function of this podcast is not to reveal an explosive fact about the case that no one knew before, but to give the survivors a voice. To make them three dimensional and human and more than just details in Gibney’s charge sheet. And I think it does a good job of that - while we get details of Gibney’s background, it’s the survivors who I think are at the centre of the pod
    I think that's what the podcast is doing best and what it should have aimed to do. I think the whole sitting outside his house and following him is detracting from that. Kinda seems like two different ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

The podcast is putting the spotlight on Gibney. Whether it reveals nothing new that hasn't been talked about before doesn't really matter

Every newspaper column, tv and radio interview generated on the back of the podcast highlights this miscarriage of justice to a wider audience and you would hope ultimately leads to pressure on US authorities to deport him back to Ireland where he will face trial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

deisedude wrote: »
    The podcast is putting the spotlight on Gibney. Whether it reveals nothing new that hasn't been talked about before doesn't really matter

Every newspaper column, tv and radio interview generated on the back of the podcast highlights this miscarriage of justice to a wider audience and you would hope ultimately leads to pressure on US authorities to deport him back to Ireland where he will face trial

Will he face trial though? Wasn't the original ruling that the statue of limitations had passed? I know recently there have been convictions for historical sexual assaults but, if a judge already ruled on it, can it be revisited or would it have to be a whole new trial citing different offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Will he face trial though? Wasn't the original ruling that the statue of limitations had passed? I know recently there have been convictions for historical sexual assaults but, if a judge already ruled on it, can it be revisited or would it have to be a whole new trial citing different offences?

Honestly I don't know. I thought irish authorities were looking for the US to deport him so assumed they were looking to have him face trial

While not perfect, the legal system isn’t nearly as shady now as it was then.

Raoul wrote: »
    I think that's what the podcast is doing best and what it should have aimed to do. I think the whole sitting outside his house and following him is detracting from that. Kinda seems like two different ideas.

filler that seemed "edgy" in principle to the podcasters.

in reality it comes across as keystone cops meets garda patrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

glasso wrote: »
    filler that seemed "edgy" in principle to the podcasters.

in reality it comes across as keystone cops meets garda patrol.

Agree that the benefit of this so far is to hear the stories of the survivors and their families to get insight into the horror and impact of the abuse. The surveillance and driving around the US neighbourhoods adds a bit of drama. Sounds like there are plenty of local campaigners who have been all over his movements, like the Irish guy based in Florida. Useful to read the Paul Kimmage interviews with Gary O'T in Sunday Independent last couple of weeks to give more if the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'll be honest, i knew very little about this until a couple of weeks ago. The name Gibney was someway familiar but nothing more. Have listened to all episodes, i find it very interesting. Its one of those things thats hard to listen to but at same time you want to hear more.
    Lots of emotions listening to it, very sad for the victims. Lot of anger too, really want this guy to suffer something and not get away and die without facing justice. With modern social media, tracking etc surely he can be found, charged and thrown into a prison cell to die!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

big_drive wrote: »
    I'll be honest, i knew very little about this until a couple of weeks ago. The name Gibney was someway familiar but nothing more. Have listened to all episodes, i find it very interesting. Its one of those things thats hard to listen to but at same time you want to hear more.
    Lots of emotions listening to it, very sad for the victims. Lot of anger too, really want this guy to suffer something and not get away and die without facing justice. With modern social media, tracking etc surely he can be found, charged and thrown into a prison cell to die!

What are you on about? He has been found, many times, charged with what? The crimes he already went to court about and got off

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Susan's story was heartbreaking, don't know how Mark Horgan restrained himself from swinging for Gibney when he saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Beersmith wrote: »
    What are you on about? He has been found, many times, charged with what? The crimes he already went to court about and got off

Im on about going after him again. Surely he can be brought up for something. Outcomes can change. Charged with what? Child abuse id imagine
    Why just stand back and let him away

big_drive wrote: »
    Im on about going after him again. Surely he can be brought up for something. Outcomes can change. Charged with what? Child abuse id imagine
    Why just stand back and let him away

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/george-gibney-muchnick-update-966190

Seems like yer man Muchnik (the guy who has been covering Gibney in the US and pushing to get him followed up on) is not really impressed with the podcast

https://concussioninc.net/?p=14638

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/10/06/irvin-muchnick-not-making-waves/
    I don’t expect to be named Miss Congeniality for having to break the news to folks in Ireland that the BBC/Second Captains podcast Where Is George Gibney?, despite being hyped to the heavens by the herd of independent minds in the Anglo-Irish media, is pitifully exploitative and faux-earnest, and that its practitioners are callow.
    Tonight.

Journalist Irvin Muchnick (above) will Answer A Broadsheet Reader.

Please leave any questions on Gibney, the BBC Sounds/Second Captains podcast or any other matters for Irvin below.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Irvin obviously made his mind up in the first second of the first episode as he says here.

I don't think anyone connected with the show is saying that it is breaking new ground, but it is bringing the story to new people.

I too found the car chase type thing at the start to be a bit strained but since then I've found it paints an interesting story on just how bad the situation was as late as the mid-90's in terms of child security. The litany of people connected with swimming who were convicted of/accuse of various crimes was extraordinary.

He seems to bw speaking a lot of truth. I think WIGG has been all production over substance alright.

• Advertisement

Irvin obviously made his mind up in the first second of the first episode as he says here.

I don't think anyone connected with the show is saying that it is breaking new ground, but it is bringing the story to new people.

Yes. Briefly reading through his stuff, it seems Irvin is affronted by anyone else telling the story in a way he considers unacceptable. He has a go at Justine McCarthy, for God’s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have it on the podcast list, but honestly am reluctant to listen to it since AFAIK Gibney is free. Despite what he did to those kids.

“In the interview of Susan’s sister, she betrays this superficiality. The tragedy of her sibling’s ruined life is, yes of course, that Susan, following multiple suicide attempts, would turn into a mental patient who required institutionalisation. But the other tragedy is the one about how the evil coach dashed a family’s dreams of Olympic glory — Susan’s, directly, and their parents’, vicariously.

Thus does our world devolve into full-tilt jockocracy, a place where the ultimate grievance is the one expressed by the Marlon Brando character in On the Waterfront: “I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody.”

The above is from Irvin’s article in that Broadsheet link. It’s pretty disrespectful to the family of one of the survivor’s of Gibney’s abuse. It seems to me that he can’t see the value of this podcast simply giving the survivors a voice as an end in itself. And that’s fine, but he doesn’t have to be an ass about it

"BBC/Second Captains’ Where Is George Gibney? may prove to have significant fresh information, or it may prove to be applying, for the umpteenth time, broadcast production values to old information.

Regardless, if it turns out theirs is the voice that nudges deportation/extradition over the top, I’ll tip my hat."

He also wrote that. Fair enough he is being blunt about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

"BBC/Second Captains’ Where Is George Gibney? may prove to have significant fresh information, or it may prove to be applying, for the umpteenth time, broadcast production values to old information.

Regardless, if it turns out theirs is the voice that nudges deportation/extradition over the top, I’ll tip my hat."

He also wrote that. Fair enough he is being blunt about it I think.

Surely that ship has sailed given that he was already charged with such crimes and broadcasting a podcast on the topic would at the very least be used in his defence as making it difficult for him to have a fair trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Irvin coming across extremely bitter. Seems he's not happy with the attention/praise being heaped on WIGG

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

“In the interview of Susan’s sister, she betrays this superficiality. The tragedy of her sibling’s ruined life is, yes of course, that Susan, following multiple suicide attempts, would turn into a mental patient who required institutionalisation. But the other tragedy is the one about how the evil coach dashed a family’s dreams of Olympic glory — Susan’s, directly, and their parents’, vicariously.

Thus does our world devolve into full-tilt jockocracy, a place where the ultimate grievance is the one expressed by the Marlon Brando character in On the Waterfront: “I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody.”

The above is from Irvin’s article in that Broadsheet link. It’s pretty disrespectful to the family of one of the survivor’s of Gibney’s abuse. It seems to me that he can’t see the value of this podcast simply giving the survivors a voice as an end in itself. And that’s fine, but he doesn’t have to be an ass about it

Well he does if he wants to use this to promote his website and books (all of which look pretty atrocious).

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

He seems to bw speaking a lot of truth. I think WIGG has been all production over substance alright.

It thinks its season 1 of serial.

The Aaron Dessner ( love the national) piano and Horgan masquerading as Sarah Koenig in the "car chases".

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Surely that ship has sailed given that he was already charged with such crimes and broadcasting a podcast on the topic would at the very least be used in his defence as making it difficult for him to have a fair trial.

Im not trying to act like an internet hard man but I don't understand how this fella hasn't at least been tracked down and given an absolute hiding. If he is in the states under a fake name etc hes hardly going to go to the cops to report you if you break his legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Thought today's episode was excellent. The investigative aspect of the podcast really started coming together. Think some of the criticism here was a little hasty. Gonna be very interesting next week.

Advertisement