Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is George Gibney?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Trish Kearney who told her story on podcast will be on Late Late Show tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bring him home.

Was the episode where they confronted him (before the break) really as bad as people said? I stopped at that one as it was destroyed here and I didn’t want the experience of the whole thing ruined by that. Never went back to it after but was thinking I might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Was the episode where they confronted him (before the break) really as bad as people said? I stopped at that one as it was destroyed here and I didn’t want the experience of the whole thing ruined by that. Never went back to it after but was thinking I might.

The better episodes were at the end.

They tried to play the "hot on his trail" angle, but it was never really that type of pod which is why I think it annoyed a few of us.

The latter half of the series is just more survivors coming forward and mark interviewing them really. So it becomes just an outlet for them to be heard,which is worth a listen. This is what it should have been sold as at the start really.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

benji79 wrote: »
    Trish Kearney who told her story on podcast will be on Late Late Show tonight

She spoke very well. I’d certainly like to read her book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Beersmith wrote: »
    The better episodes were at the end. They tried to play the "hot on his trail" angle, but it was never really that type of pod which is why I think it annoyed a few of us. The latter half of the series is just more survivors coming forward and mark interviewing them really. So it becomes just an outlet for them to be heard,which is worth a listen. This is what it should have been sold as at the start really.

Yeah that sums it up for me as well. It seemed like the Miami Vice part of it was what they needed to sell it to the BBC, but the bread and butter of the story (i.e. the victim's stories) was very well done. And they certainly did the state some service. Hopefully this will lead to something tangible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I see he's still getting things fundamentally wrong about the legal proceedings that led to his trial being prohibited in the 1990s. The Supreme Court never made an order prohibiting the trial. That court held that Gibney could seek to leave to bring judicial review proceedings in the High Court. The test for leave to bring judicial review proceedings that stemmed from that case (G v. DPP [1994] 1 IR 374) remains good law is cited pretty much every week in the High Court so can hardly be regarded as "controversial". That was also a judgment of then Chief Justice Finlay, not Denham as Muchnik and Broadsheet like to imply conspiratorially.

He then went back to the High Court, which granted an order prohibiting his trial.

Advertisement