Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is George Gibney?

Options
  • 27-08-2020 7:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭

First proper episode of it dropped this morning. Just listened to it. Pretty good so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yup I enjoyed it. Looking forward to next week's episode already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Good start. Wish it wasn't week by week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Good start - pity it wasn't hour long episodes though.

Although given the nature of the content, its probably better in the 30 minute format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

First proper episode of it dropped this morning. Just listened to it. Pretty good so far.

I thought I already listened to this a few weeks ago?? Must have been something else ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

KaneToad wrote: »
    I thought I already listened to this a few weeks ago?? Must have been something else ..

The trailer has been played a good bit on Second Captains so maybe you heard that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Yeah, I should have waited until they all came out before I started listening. Now I'm going to have to tune in every week!

Brilliant first episode.

Was excellent. I know nothing of the story only the vague who he was/what he did so I'm looking forward to hearing it all unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Review here by a journalist who has written about this for many years

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/08/27/gibney-didnt-vanish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Review here by a journalist who has written about this for many years

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/08/27/gibney-didnt-vanish

Talk about sticking the knife in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Enjoyed it overall. Slightly slow start but once Chalkie started telling his story it really grasped me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Did they say how many episodes?

I might hold off til its finished and listen to them together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Jesus that review is a bit harsh after only one episode! He is certainly right there is nothing new about the first episode, I have heard Gary O'Toole tell almost the exact same story to OTB a while back. But if it's one of ten, could you not at least let him lay out the background for international listeners in the first episode before criticizing him?
    "Sources in Florida tell me that Horgan and company botched their Gibney stakeout."

If it's true that Horgan did make a botch out of the stakeout and then simply faked the "car chase" then he deserves to be called on it for sure. And tbh, the subject is far too serious to be getting up to that sort of oul b0ll0x if that is in fact what happened. I think Horgan should address this.

What is with the "theme tune" though. Like you little brother messing with a 1980s Casio keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

What is with the "theme tune" though. Like you little brother messing with a 1980s Casio keyboard.

I love it - almost an underwater sound to it, blended with nursery rhyme vibes - it's very fitting for the show. It was also specially written and composed for the show by Aaron Dessner of The National.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I love it - almost an underwater sound to it, blended with nursery rhyme vibes - it's very fitting for the show. It was also specially written and composed for the show by Aaron Dessner of The National.

Don't see the point in theme tunes for podcasts. I understand in visual media to have people's names come up but its just a waste of time in pods

Talk with the producers of the podcast on with Brendan O'Connor on the 12.30-13-00PM part of the show. The last half hour I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

sheroman01 wrote: »

Agreed. Had a very melancholic feel to it and was a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Talk with the producers of the podcast on with Brendan O'Connor on the 12.30-13-00PM part of the show. The last half hour I mean.

Worth a listen or just a promotional piece?

Worth a listen or just a promotional piece?

they didn't answer anything asked that was going to be in future episodes so not a lot there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sounds good. But will hold off until there are a few episodes and binge them. Hate waiting for the next one. That is the one thing about these podcasts that drives me mad, but hey, they have lives too I suppose.

I do build up the podcasts for a binge lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

glasso wrote: »
    they didn't answer anything asked that was going to be in future episodes so not a lot there!
    I got the feeling they were holding back and didn't want to let the cat out of the bag with Brendan.

• Advertisement

I got the feeling they were holding back and didn't want to let the cat out of the bag with Brendan.

I would have said that it was very obvious - more than a feeling!

They went on to drum up more listeners for the podcast - not tell the story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

2nd episode was a tough listen.

Horrible to think what that man got away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, that was pretty hard hitting alright. Can't say it's an enjoyable listen, but worth listening to all the same.

It really is ridiculous that he got away with this for so long. The two poor girls being abused every day for years and years. I can't imagine the guilt that the parents must feel, but how were they to know when everybody was fawning all over George Gibney.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Aidric wrote: »
    Agreed. Had a very melancholic feel to it and was a perfect fit.

Serial esque.

Love the national. Have seen them 22 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

As others have said, can't call it an enjoyable listen but it's enthralling thus far, probably as much for the fact that he's still free as for anything else. 2nd episode was a definite step up on the 1st.

I may be in the minority here, I'm enjoying the weekly drop of a podcast. It allows you to absorb the content & mull over it rather than gorging on the whole thing rapidly. Although if the production is to consist of 10 episodes of 30 minute duration, they could've condensed them a bit and ramp each episode up to 45 minutes perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Really enjoyable so far.

Gary O' Toole is such a great speaker and a really decent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

One particular moment in the second episode made my stomach drop... Such a disgusting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I don't mean this in a prurient way, but more than one person so far has accused him of almost daily abuse. The ****er was prolific. How did he not get caught. He was at it the whole time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    The ****er was prolific. How did he not get caught. He was at it the whole time

Episode 3 sheds some light on that question.
    The culture of the time had a lot to do with it. Church & state figures were treated with such exorbitant reverence when you look back now. Off the scale really. I was a Dublin school-leaver in 1993, had no interest in swimming but I knew who George Gibney was (and this was before the charges) so I can only imagine his demi-god like status in swimming circles.
    Episode 3 also hints at who he might've had in his corner when the heat came on.

Mad, bad stuff.

Advertisement