Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R Kings and other car raffles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

Total scam run on facebook. More than likely running an illegal "raffle", who verifies that the draw is even run?

Even if they do give out prizes, its probably a mate who been prearranged to "win" etc. BOGUS.

A lot of "probably" and "more than likely" in that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

HBC08 wrote: »
    A lot of "probably" and "more than likely" in that post.

Yes info on this is scarce.

All we know so far is that it either has to be free to enter or there must be a substantial test of skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scubasteve182

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes info on this is scarce.

All we know so far is that it either has to be free to enter or there must be a substantial test of skill.

Looking at the law it doesn't have to be free to enter, it has to have an alternative free entry method which it appears they have

Looking at the law it doesn't have to be free to enter, it has to have an alternative free entry method which it appears they have

Ah yes that could be it.
    I think it may be impossible to get the free entry in on time but that's would seem to be the loophole used.

ted1 wrote: »
    What’s to stop an employer charging and employee a 5er to entering a competition to win his salary. And he then wins his salary. Do you think he could avoid paying tax on his salary.

This is effectively the same thing

That is like saying a bookie could say an employee won a bet to the value of their salary to avoid paying tax on their wages as gambling winnings are not taxed in the UK, I'm sure there is more to it than what you are saying, there is several large companies in the UK all doing these sorts of competitions, for example cool FM have no gambling licence but run a pay to play (with an alternative free entry method) daily cash call for £1000s of pound all which isn't taxable, I'd imagine this would fall in the same bracket as that

• Advertisement

Ah yes that could be it.
    I think it may be impossible to get the free entry in on time but that's would seem to be the loophole used.

Yea, that's what I was looking at, elite competitons in England have a very similar free entry route and they don't appear to have a question at all, the question could just be there as an extra element of security I suppose to keep them right

Yea, that's what I was looking at, elite competitons in England have a very similar free entry route and they don't appear to have a question at all, the question could just be there as an extra element of security I suppose to keep them right

That's the mystery finally solved for me, thanks for the answer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the_syco wrote: »
    Can someone tell me that if I did win one of the cars up north, would I be able to insure a NI car under my name in Ireland under a RoI insurer, so that I could drive it into Ireland to be VRT'ed?

Its the same process as buying a UK car yourself.
    Every Insurer will transfer to the uk reg and give you a timeframe to change over to an irish reg.

Ive done it multiple times across multiple insurance companies over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

sc86 wrote: »
    The country is in the grip of a pandemic and there is lads on here salty over a legit company making a few pound from a very simple idea.

I love ireland , and i love our culture etc , but the begrudgery in our nature is our worst aspect, reading the replies here is jaw dropping , and in some cases quiet sad.

They raffle a good standard of car , they wont buy rubbish and there is genuine winners , nobody is forced to enter.
    If a guy wins a 20k car for 20 quid , good for him , if the guy who raffles it makes a few quid , good for him also.

I agree with you and all... But I still don't trust it enough to buy a ticket! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

In the current draw they are asking people if you use a knife or spoon to eat soup. Would answering that require a substantial deal of skill?
    Currently spending alot of time at home with my toddler, its suprising how challenging eating a bowl of soup can be. I think it would hold up in a court challenge to prove skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

the_syco wrote: »
    Can someone tell me that if I did win one of the cars up north, would I be able to insure a NI car under my name in Ireland under a RoI insurer, so that I could drive it into Ireland to be VRT'ed?

Could you link to said legislation? Someone linked to something that applied to england earlier in the thread. Didn't see anything about NI.

Yes you have to do that if importing a car from the north insurance company cover you till vrt is paid just need the reg no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

A lot of similar competitions popping up on my facebook feed now also a fair few cork winners too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,493 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

ofcork wrote: »
    A lot of similar competitions popping up on my facebook feed now also a fair few cork winners too.

Same. There appears to be tens of copycat pages now. I wouldn’t trust any of them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ryannn1435

100% legit, my brother is 19 and won a 320 M Sport BMW for 20 EUR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I entered the draw for the Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day and was only a couple of lines away (my name was on the screen when they showed the line with the winners name) so I think it's legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't think it was R Kings but a mate won a 5 series MSport, think it was 08 though. Maybe a cheap version of R Kings? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Doubt they'd get anywhere close to 13k on it as it still needs to be VRT'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Doubt they'd get anywhere close to 13k on it as it still needs to be VRT'd.

How much would the VRT be on that, do you reckon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How much would the VRT be on that, do you reckon?

Hard to tell without the reg, as theres additional charges based on emissions now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Hard to tell without the reg, as theres additional charges based on emissions now.
    In the ad it says it's 2014. Does that make a difference?
    €13k does seem steep for a six year old car and as you say VRT on top of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Thats been done before too. Someone one 2 cars in one week a while back. They spoke with a local dealer and sold them on the spot.
    RKings even had the story on their facebook

There must be about 20 different ones showing up on my Facebook now even a dealer in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

I won a C63 from them last year which I kept for 6 weeks then sold as I hadn't thought of the road tax on something like that! Was a fun 6 weeks though.

Was skeptical of it all too beforehand and the guy I picked it up from was saying they have the same conversation with everyone about not believing it's real.. At nearly 200k likes on facebook now I think people are realising.

I would love one did you pay the vrt.

I would love one did you pay the vrt.

No, family member lives in Belfast so just registered it there, drove it around Cork for the weeks I had it then back up north to sell it.

Felt strange to sell a car I got only 6 weeks earlier, but the money from the sale is waiting to be spent on an M140i whenever travel is possible again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

There’s a few lads around that are “raffling” low cost cars, scramblers etc on fb. Numbers of the Irish lotto. Pick your number 20 euros a head. Draw won’t be held until all numbers sold and money paid.

Mostly lads trying to shift stuff they’ve no chance of selling normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Reputable dealer in clonmel that I bought my last car off seems to be in on the act now, decent cars in the € 20k range. He is giving the profit to charity seemingly. Great way to shift stock and get cash in when nothing is selling in fairness. I don’t know the legal ins and outs but I wouldn’t have any great issue with it once everything is clear and above board

Reputable dealer in clonmel that I bought my last car off seems to be in on the act now, decent cars in the € 20k range. He is giving the profit to charity seemingly. Great way to shift stock and get cash in when nothing is selling in fairness. I don’t know the legal ins and outs but I wouldn’t have any great issue with it once everything is clear and above board

Similar to the ads I keep seeing on fb about the Ferrari driving experience guys raffling off one of their Ferrari's to give whatever profit to Pieta house. €50 a pop though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

https://wincar.ie/ WinCar is another one raffling mostly Irish reg cars. Nothing as impressive as R Kings yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Mc Love wrote: »
    https://wincar.ie/ WinCar is another one raffling mostly Irish reg cars. Nothing as impressive as R Kings yet though

Would be skeptical on any that don't have a registered company number or address shown anywhere, RKings are very legit, based in NI, fully legal in their juristiction, transparent and above board.

I'm getting loads of ads for these now on Facebook. The only one that caught my eye was for a tractor.

I'm getting loads of ads for these now on Facebook. The only one that caught my eye was for a tractor.

I'm getting loads of ads for lift leggings :cool:

I just like their video's

There must be 30/40 of these raffle sites on Facebook. For some reason since I read this thread my Facebook is inundated with suggestions of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Seen that and the cars are decent looking too. Good way of shifting a few cars in this climate.

• Advertisement

What is the name of the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I can also state that RKings appear to be fully legit just saw a Facebook post where a chap I know in Naas won a black Jeep Cherokee with a few off road toys on it this week. I'm waiting for something to catch my eye and it might be worth a punt

If it’s that easy to make money by raffling cars how come more people aren’t getting in on the act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Friend of my friend won a 141 range rover on it about 3 months ago. Vrt would have been about 17k though. She was going to try sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

adam88 wrote: »
    If it’s that easy to make money by raffling cars how come more people aren’t getting in on the act.

I think that they have the advantage that their competitions are extremely popular on Facebook in part due to the relatively high end prizes that they offer. I know of lots of groups have tried it since and while some are reasonably successful, most have failed.
    I’m not on Facebook but if you search car competitions I’d say you’d have a lot of results.

• Advertisement

I think that they have the advantage that their competitions are extremely popular on Facebook in part due to the relatively high end prizes that they offer. I know of lots of groups have tried it since and while some are reasonably successful, most have failed.
    I’m not on Facebook but if you search car competitions I’d say you’d have a lot of results.

Ya I was curious. Seems like an easy way to make a few bob. Facebook is full of them and my Facebook suggestions are now full of them as well. Fair play to them. Seems to be a rite cash cow

Another garage in north cork is getting in on the act has some nice motors uk imports but irish reg.

Another garage in north cork is getting in on the act has some nice motors uk imports but irish reg.

Just seen that. Actually passed their yard on Thursday. Nice stock

Are they selling much fair few bmws with these m performance kits.

michellie wrote: »
    Friend of my friend won a 141 range rover on it about 3 months ago. Vrt would have been about 17k though. She was going to try sell it.

Did she end up keeping it? A lot of the prizes have ridiculous VRT amounts, throw in the NOx charges on top of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Mc Love wrote: »
    Did she end up keeping it? A lot of the prizes have ridiculous VRT amounts, throw in the NOx charges on top of it

I'm not sure, I just gave her the VRT quote through my friend. I'll ask and see did she sell it. That 17k was including the NOX. I guess people aren't aware of this when they enter a competition

A few lads I've talked to said if the VRT is an issue, then they'd sell to trade. Don't know how viable that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

michellie wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I just gave her the VRT quote through my friend. I'll ask and see did she sell it. That 17k was including the NOX. I guess people aren't aware of this when they enter a competition

Shur your still doing well out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simple, sell it in North or UK and price right for quick sale or try do a deal with a dealer but you won't be getting a good price....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Simple, sell it in North or UK and price right for quick sale or try do a deal with a dealer but you won't be getting a good price....

Whatever price you can get is still a win for a €25 outlay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement