Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

God ME1 controls are clunky. Press X to dash instead of L3 feels so unnatural now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

For what it is the visual overhaul is pretty decent, performance is mostly solid also but it'd be extremely surprising not to be (I had one frame drop out of the blue for about 20 seconds before it went back to normal). The graphics tuning options are pretty much non-existent but again being a relatively simple upgrade and not a modern title I doubt anyone will have performance issues running it 'maxed' on anything more powerful than a potato. Controls are funky as mentioned above, especially returning to the old annoyance of mapping out Keys as you would a controller, Sprint and Use are the same key...because those two things are so related and need to be on one key when I have quite a few of them to spare... The tiny FOV is the only constant thing getting in the way of my enjoyment right now though, it's making me ill with the awkard screen bob when running so I'm just avoiding sprint except in emergencies. I'm also not crazy about them removing the zoom-bob on snipers, it's way too easy to target now whereas it took some skill on the older version.
    Still really enjoying being back in the series and hopefully there'll be some FoV fixes shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Legendary or classic level scaling for ME1?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

J. Marston wrote: »
    Legendary or classic level scaling for ME1?

I went with legendary as i believe it will be easier to max out your character to get the most out of moving onto ME 2. The original 1 needed 2 playthroughs if i remember correctly to max out. Could be wrong but the new leveling system is designed for one playthrough per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mass Effect 1 really feels old now even with the updates but my god is it good to be back. Renegade Femshep the Return :D

• Advertisement

Not only does the Mako control WAY better, the environment around you is hugely improved. I wish you had shortcut to squad skills like later games. It's great though being able to use any weapon at any time. Combat is a lot more fun because of it.

Also, loving photo mode.

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1393354889837912064?s=19

As said above, ME1 does feel very old these days.

I've been playing Apex Legends forever and holding X to sprint instead of L3 is alien to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*whispers it* ME1 felt old and clunky when it first came out. It played like what it was: a not-quite-there-yet attempt to merge an RPG and shooter, and just didn’t really feel particularly good to play. Things like the infamous elevators just added to a sense of clunkiness.

ME2 was a big improvement. It moved the dial far more towards ‘shooter’ and the overall game feel and flow was all the better for it.

Do people go purely paragon, rigidly renegade or mix and match?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

J. Marston wrote: »
    Do people go purely paragon, rigidly renegade or mix and match?

I usually go purely Paragon, better off picking one and sticking with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I usually go purely Paragon, better off picking one and sticking with it

This. Although the auld 'Sheppard is an ass' videos we're quite good back in the day.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Got reacquainted with the clunkiness after an hour or two. Fine with it now.

Huge cast reunion going live at 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Tried to play ME 1. But just to janky for me. So after 5 hours hopped over to mass effect 2, enjoying it a good bit. Bit saddened it does not play well on super ultra wide. HUD size is broken. I can barely see the weapon wheel. Bug where I need to disable anti aliasing or ghosting on the left side of the screen happens. (Can force in nvidea control panel for now). The weapon wheel is tiny but the subtitles take up half the screen so have to disable them :(. Pc options in generally pretty crap too e.g no fov slider etc. Wee bit disappointed with it so far. Surprised at how many reviews are saying it’s how remastered should be done. As technically it’s a still a bit all over the place and still feels like a poor pc port with **** all settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CrazyFish wrote: »
    Tried to play ME 1. But just to janky for me. So after 5 hours hopped over to mass effect 2, enjoying it a good bit. Bit saddened it does not play well on super ultra wide. HUD size is broken. I can barely see the weapon wheel. Bug where I need to disable anti aliasing or ghosting on the left side of the screen happens. (Can force in nvidea control panel for now). The weapon wheel is tiny but the subtitles take up half the screen so have to disable them :(. Pc options in generally pretty crap too e.g no fov slider etc. Wee bit disappointed with it so far. Surprised at how many reviews are saying it’s how remastered should be done. As technically it’s a still a bit all over the place and still feels like a poor pc port with **** all settings.

Seeing people call it a remaster of a poor pc port, with many of the issues were there in the originals.

Yes it's a good remaster of a console port, they did a good job updating the core but didn't change how the PC port originally is a sub par conversion. Not being PC-master-race just pointing out that the same mistakes they made in translation in the original remain here so many years later, but that should not be surprising as it happens elsewhere also. I've given up on asian PC games understanding what a mouse is for example. Still, it's Mass Effect, it's that friend you know you shouldn't like but still love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Anyone else playing this on PS4 Pro (or Xbox One X I suppose since I heard the same reports) getting horrible screen tearing on performance mode?

In the Citadel it's borderline unplayable. I can tolerate framedrops here and there. But screen tearing is where I draw the line. No excuse to have this be a thing nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just started Mass Effect today. My Shepard is an Earthborn, War Hero, Solider which I feel perfectly captures my idea for what Shepard could be. Someone who grew up on the streets on Earth without a family, learning how to survive and attaining strong skills and street smarts but also mindful of where he/she comes from so comes from a humble background, then joins the military and proves his valour as a soldier, and becomes a war hero by saving Elysium. His war hero status helps him become an N7, and then eventually a Spectre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Does no one remember there was a brilliant mod for ME1 on Moddb. It beautifully updated all the graphics using ME3 as standard.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just started Mass Effect today. My Shepard is an Earthborn, War Hero, Solider which I feel perfectly captures my idea for what Shepard could be. Someone who grew up on the streets on Earth without a family, learning how to survive and attaining strong skills and street smarts but also mindful of where he/she comes from so comes from a humble background, then joins the military and proves his valour as a soldier, and becomes a war hero by saving Elysium. His war hero status helps him become an N7, and then eventually a Spectre.

You were doing so well until you picked male Shep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can't not pick male Shep, even though i can admit female Shep sounds better.

My head canon just won't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The FOV fix is essential for me. The difference is absolutely huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Near the end of ME1.

Game has been great so far, and they really have done a great job with updating this.

Looking forward to 2, as it plays a lot better than 1.

Kiith wrote: »
    I can't not pick male Shep, even though i can admit female Shep sounds better.

My head canon just won't allow it.

Male renegade Shepard sounds too evil, while Female paragon Shepard is a bit too goody goody and reminds me too much of captain janeway in star trek at least like when she's had her coffee and not blowing up borg.

That's the way I did ME and Biowares' Old republic, went through the voices for each class and picked the one that sounded most inline with the good/bad and class I was going for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fem Shep's renegade choices are more 'im so sick of this ****' rather than 'im a sociopathic bellend' and are way funnier and also way easier to take as a result.

It's a pity the binary alignment system is so awful in bioware games because mass effect is way more fun of you ignore achievements and role play it.

They got rid of morality in Andromeda, and Dragon age never had it. Individual character approval or faction approval in those. Didn't play Anthem but I don't think it had morality either.

The only ongoing thing they've morality in it is Old republic where it's tied to the dark/light side.

New update now live.

I did Bring Down the Sky dlc too early, didn't have enough charm to get a good ending to it, maybe leave it til later in the game. Forgot how much mindless corridors and empty rooms there were in ME1, taking ages of fatigued running going back and forth. An awful map mixed with a galaxy map that doesn't tell you where assignment objectives are, not the best for speeding through. Reminds me of how great a sequel ME2 was, so many improvements, can't wait to get onto it.

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/news/update-5-17?utm_campaign=mele_hd_ww_ic_soco_fb_me-update-fb&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&cid=68665&ts=1621267957845&isLocalized=true

• Advertisement

Thought they did something about that so you weren't punished for the order you did the side stuff.

Advertisement