Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't want to be that guy who knows nothing of the process, but I'm gonna be that guy and say, doesn't that just make sense? Hearing someone else speak the lines you're in conversation with would definitely make it more realistic. Maybe I should be giving the VA's a bit more credit when they do a good job if they mostly do it line by line with no actual conversation...

Fair enough if they're monologues but conversations should surely be recorded together. I return to my favourite series The Legacy of Kain, and this video of outakes from Soul Reaver Defiance which shows they did indeed record together, and maybe that's why I consider it some of the best voice acting in any game ever! There are other, serious recording videos, they're about 20+ minutes long each, all on TouYube:

The woman who did the voice of Sara Ryder in Me:A said that they were set u to record lines on their own. She requested (and got) the Director to read the other lines in a scene while she was recording so that it was easier for her to respond in tone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retronauts did a recent episode with Jennifer Hale if you want to learn more about voice actors and the process they go through. I've also met a couple of voice actors and a lot say that anime and videogame recordings it's very rare you would see the other actors. I remember one telling me she played loads of parts with Steve Blum and it wasn't for five years that she ever got to meet him and that was because she was heading into the recording booth to record her lines and she caught him while he was leaving.

I don't want to be that guy who knows nothing of the process, but I'm gonna be that guy and say, doesn't that just make sense? Hearing someone else speak the lines you're in conversation with would definitely make it more realistic. Maybe I should be giving the VA's a bit more credit when they do a good job if they mostly do it line by line with no actual conversation...

Fair enough if they're monologues but conversations should surely be recorded together. I return to my favourite series The Legacy of Kain, and this video of outakes from Soul Reaver Defiance which shows they did indeed record together, and maybe that's why I consider it some of the best voice acting in any game ever! There are other, serious recording videos, they're about 20+ minutes long each, all on TouYube:

Tony Jay's voice though...
    In today's world of animation and multi million euro game franchises that man would be a star

The woman who did the voice of Sara Ryder in Me:A said that they were set u to record lines on their own. She requested (and got) the Director to read the other lines in a scene while she was recording so that it was easier for her to respond in tone.

If you can not have the actors in place then a reader would make perfect sense, when needed.

VA's can record in different countries to the development, with many having booths in their houses. So it's easy to understand why they would not often be in the same room.

I imagine that is where the better actors earn their crust. Being able to image the conversation beats and coming in correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wish it was a remake rather than just graphical updates. Not sure I particularly care for doing those elevator sections in ME1 again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

titan18 wrote: »
    Wish it was a remake rather than just graphical updates. Not sure I particularly care for doing those elevator sections in ME1 again

Yeah, would love a remake but if they were to do that, I'd imagine there would be no new mass effect. Even though I never finished Andromeda, I'm still interested to see what they do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I feel like they should have brought out the remastered trilogy for PS4 a few years ago when they released Mass Effect Andromeda. Glad to see it be released though, and with a new game in the making too.

Apparently 2 sites in Asia listed the release date as 12th March. Both have since been deleted but sounds plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Preorders are up for Best Buy, Amazon, and Gamestop for the US at least.

There's no No preorder bonuses, so even less of a reason to preorder. No date for best buy, I can't get onto the US gamestop site, and amazon only have a temp date for the end of the year.

$60, and PC isn't listed for a physical release yet .

"Known insider Shinobi602 gave a few hints about ME:LE. Here's what I found:"

"It's a lot more than [a simple up-res], especially ME1."

"Don't expect a visual overhaul on the level of Halo 2 Anniversary or something, but there's definitely a good amount of work that's gone in, not just visually but systems wise too."

and when asked if we'll see something soon, he responded:

"You can survive one more weekend :)"

https://twitter.com/RinoTheBouncer/status/1355540786784456709?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I know I shouldn't let myself, but I am excite! So something before next weekend maybe.

I know I shouldn't let myself, but I am excite! So something before next weekend maybe.

I dunno if he's talking about this weekend or next, hopefully something the coming week anyway. My expectations are an up res remaster with faster elevator load times, anything more is a bonus. The fact he says it's a lot more than that and ME1 is getting some work done sounds very promising.

I've been watching this lore series, great short videos about stuff i either forgot or never knew. Cannot wait for this remaster.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVm9WIF9aIuC1OsSY9_Nf3LoQ5Im4g9An

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The people who came up with the ideas for the races in Mass Effect were geniuses. I love the Hanar and the Volus especially. The way they speak always makes me laugh. Here's hoping they return in the newer game.

To balance the hype, this one at gameinformer says not to get too hyped. This was back in November when it was rumoured to launch so the delay night have added more tweaks like Shinobi hunter at.

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1325130416999772162?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I honestly didn't mind the mechanics of the ME aside from Mass Effect 1 which felt a little clunky. Was much improved in ME2

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As long as they include all the expanded content and DLCs and all the rest, I'll buy it. I just checked my Origin library there, ME1 is missing (I thought I had it from a humble bundle or something), so that dashes any plans to play through again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Vicxas wrote: »
    I honestly didn't mind the mechanics of the ME aside from Mass Effect 1 which felt a little clunky. Was much improved in ME2

Some balance is more needed than anything, and that should just be spreadsheet stuff.

Other than that, it could do with a once over for stuff like insta-dying because you get Lifted and ragdoll off a platform, and the cover snapping being a bit clunky.

Some of it is probably engine limited but hopefully it could be tweaked a bit.

Shiminay wrote: »
    As long as they include all the expanded content and DLCs and all the rest, I'll buy it. I just checked my Origin library there, ME1 is missing (I thought I had it from a humble bundle or something), so that dashes any plans to play through again :D

Yupp all the dlc and promo items including, only thing not is the multiplayer. If they just announced a trilogy port to current gen with all dlc, I'd still get it day one as i have yet to play the dlc for 3. I cannot ****ing wait to play Citadel after hearing so much about it.

Mass Effect: Revelation, the first novel and Prequel to ME1 is on Amazon audible which has 30 day free trial and 1 premium book free. I'm not sure if the ME books count as premium but gonna give it a go tomorrow. Usually listen to music while i work, why not an audio book, even in bursts. Supposed to be good anyway with a focus on Anderson and Saren.

I saw on reddit that the 2 books that follow, Ascension and Retribution are really good as well while the 4th and final ME trilogy novel Deception is really really bad (different writer).

https://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Revelation-audiobook/dp/B001LJQ8RS?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

With the rumours going around and her love of mass effect, looks like we could getting news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1356016707987513344?s=19

• Advertisement

Liana saying that the remaster isn't releasing in March (or February). Another date rumoured is May. If it is May, I hope ME1 is getting more than a graphics update. Hopefully will know more tomorrow anyway.

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1356290071255797761?s=19

Journo's invited to a deep dive presentation about the trilogy. I know there's 3 games but surely a 'deep dive' means more that a res up anyway.

https://twitter.com/andrearene/status/1356323465775599617?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never underestimate the games industry's ability to overhype a nothing burger. I still remember microsoft talking for weeks about a game that will be a massive announcement.

That game was the (pretty great but besides the point) pacman CE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't Konami have a "big" announcement for something recently that was absolutely nothing to do with any games?

Hope this isn't pushed past March...was looking forward to playing it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nice,

Also dont look at IGN's coverage, they seem to have forgotten that remaster and remake arent the same thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That got me hyped...even though i've seen it all before a bunch of times :D

Don't care what anyone says, its a fantastic trilogy imo.

Looks very pretty, waiting for someone to do a side by side of all the scenes from that vid.

Some more info:

No ps5/xbx version planned as that would be a "bridge too far" for unreal engine 3 and feel it would be best to concentrate the next mass effect for next gen.

All 40 dlc's included. Quality of life and gameplay improvements. Discreet autosaves added to stop you going through multiple scenes again if you get killed in a boss fight. Some frustrating boss fights tuned, still hard but not unfairly. Extended ending will be canon. I assumed it would, would be weird to leave out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gamespot put up a video with Bioware's Mac Walters on all the concept characters for the squad in ME2 that didn't and since this is just a remaster still won't make it.

There's an actual document in the video with some familiar, some close, and some cut characters. They don't really show you half of it as they keep ken burnssing it so even pausing you can only read some of it.

There was a concept for a Crazy Quarian King who'd be partially based on the crazy Irish man from Braveheart.

"Do I get to kill Geth?"
    "Yes, you get to kill Geth"
    "Excellent"

They also planned a Salarian Assasin based on Inigo Montoya

• Advertisement

More info:

You can now carry any weapon in all 3 games, no longer locked out. This is ****ing amazing for me as my preferred build was locked with pistol or shotgun when i just wanted the AR.
    Elevator rides take 14 seconds opposed to 1 minute of the originals but they can also be skipped entirely.
    Improved Mako controls.

https://www.thegamer.com/mass-effect-legendary-edition-preview-skippable-elevators-improved-mako-and-more/

vrtjXsB_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

5AoKrGr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

JHv3eD7_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

9euB3EJ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Advertisement