Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered

• 31-01-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After reading the 'sad moments in gaming' thread, I have a serious craving to play the trilogy again. I never played through the updated ending, citadel and some other dlc. Sold my ps3 so wanted to check if anyone here heard about the trilogy bring released on next gen?

I read Bioware hinted at it last year but can't see any recent news.

Especially as Mass Effect 4 won't be out this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I reckon they will do a trilogy and they did say that they would leave the ME1 combat as is and not change it to ME2 and 3 style as it would not work well in the game. Also talk of making new cut scenes to like the games together more closely.

The next Mass Effect game won't be called Mass Effect 4 though as it is not a continuation of the ME3 time line. It will be set before or during the first 3 games.

Mass Effect was a great new IP for gen 7 consoles and came out early in the 360's life cycle. There is no new IP like it for gen 8 so far which is worrying imo.

Generation 8 is moving alot slower than 7 that really hit the ground running on the 360 at least as the PS3 was late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Updated ending is overrated.
    Citadel...I didn't actually finish it...though everyone seems to like it

Did my 3rd playthrough of the Trilogy late last year.

Was utterly disappointed with Leviathan...given the price

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Starting my first play through soon enough. Only ever played an hour of the first years ago. Kinda looking forward to it really, even with the mixed reports from everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Starting my first play through soon enough. Only ever played an hour of the first years ago. Kinda looking forward to it really, even with the mixed reports from everyone

YOU LUCKY B@STARD! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

theres a massive difference between 1 & 2, in a good way.

I never finished 3, another one on the long term back burner. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

You should really enjoy. IMO the ME2 is the best one, but I'm pretty sure not everyone agrees with me.

Yeah ME2 was my favourite. I rushed through ME1 on my PC (all low crappy graphics) so I understood the story for ME2 on playstation. Would like to play through it again and put proper hours into it but definitely preferred the combat in 2 and 3.

Great looking over the
    Indoctrination
    series ending theory again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    You should really enjoy. IMO the ME2 is the best one, but I'm pretty sure not everyone agrees with me.

ME2 was provably my favourite but I felt the story added very little for the trilogy, it added lots of characters but you could go from 1 to 3 and still follow the story, you'll just be asking who is that every few minutes.

Haven't played any of the DLC for 2 or 3. Biowares DLC rarely lowers in price

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They'll definitely do a next gen release of the trilogy. It's an easy money maker. Sure modders have already improved the textures on the pc, so it shouldn't be that big an issue to up the graphics a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gunplay-wise, I'm of the opinion that every sequel improved upon the last.

But in the sci-fi exploration angle the series has been all over the place, so I hope they take all the best bits of 1&2 (Mako, underground areas, uncharted planets) and build upon them. ME3 was too close to "corridor shooter".

Also there better be a simultaneous PC release!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd rather they redo combat in me1, and it would hopefully be more remake than remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I loved ME 1 and 2 on the 360. Got ME3 on the PS3 and couldn't play it the frame rate was so bad.

Either way, as entertaining as they were, they were seriously broken tech wise. Interminable loading times (the elevators of doom!), clipping, crashes, slowdown.

These games would seriously benefit from hardware capable of running them smoothly with massively reduced load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Maybe in 5 years time... Mass Effect still looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭jones

I'd definitely play through a remastered ME series again. Imagine them in 1080p and 60fps goodness.

ME2 was my favourite by a mile but I did enjoy 1 & 3 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Unnecessary imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ME1 - I'm a RPG game with an open world to explore and choices to make; oh and I love elevators, elevators is the bestest thing eva!
    ME2 - Shooters R Us, Look at me COD; I haz gunz!
    ME3 - I heard you like corridors; let me show you my corridor technology and don't worry about making decisions because I'll make them for you so you can shot some more in my corridors. Did I mention I like corridors?

Cormac... wrote: »
    Unnecessary imho.

One of the best new IPs from gen 7. I think it deserves to live on. There is so much that can be done with it with all the back story and lore that the first game alone set up with all the codex entries.

You could make an RTS like Homeworld or Halo Wars, an FPS/RPG style game like Deus Ex or revive the space shooter genre with a Colony Wars style game all set in the Mass Effect universe.

The first game deserves the HD treatment imo.

Let me rephrase.... "At this point in time, it is completely unnecessary"

This is not some 64bit game from way back when, a person could pick up Mass Effect 2 tomorrow and it would still hold up.
    Maybe in 2 or 3 years, yeah fair enough might be a decent idea.

It would be like saying Fallout 3 or Bioshock 1 or Red Dead Redemption need to be remastered.

We're reaching ludicrous Spider Man movie franchise levels of rehashing the same stuff now.
    I can't wait for the only version of the Last of Us that matters on next gen (Playstation 5)

Fair enough point but do consider that Mass Effect 1 is 8 years old this year. Halo got the HD treatment after 10 years, alot would not consider it worthy of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gave my 360 to a mate - if they released the trilogy on next gen I'd be all over it. Would love to play through it all again on the Xbox One or PS4.

• Advertisement

By all means Remaster 1 (i actually never played it as it was so dated to be frank), but the whole trilogy? Madness!

I got a loan of Dragon Age Inquisition and playing it just makes me want to play Mass Effect all over again. Checking on some forums, a lot of people are looking for a remaster on next gen. Dunno why but since getting a PS4, my favourite games have been remasters - GTA V, Last of Us, Sleeping Dogs, Resident Evil. I'd look forward to a ME Trilogy remaster more than most upcoming new releases.

First time I regretted getting rid of my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cormac... wrote: »
    By all means Remaster 1 (i actually never played it as it was so dated to be frank), but the whole trilogy? Madness!

Id be with you here, They hold up pretty well by and large, If they really cared about preserving the legacy for gamers who didn't get a chance to play them on old systems, they'd just sort out backwards compatibility and leave that be it. A lot of these remasters - Sleeping dogs, Metro, Saints Row, etc have a real smell of "quick coat of paint, and easy money for us".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

nearly given up on ME1, the combat is quite poor, the save system is terrible and although i'm enjoying the story I might just skip to the second one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Johny_cash

its a great game alirhgt

I just used the DLC comic for 1, no gameplay, make 6 choices, bobs your uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sweetie wrote: »
    nearly given up on ME1, the combat is quite poor, the save system is terrible and although i'm enjoying the story I might just skip to the second one.

You can save whenever you like.

sweetie wrote: »
    nearly given up on ME1, the combat is quite poor,.

The combat is bad until you max out the skill of whatever your weapon of choice is but by then you are almost unstopable in normal difficulty.

2 just streamlined all the skills, made base accuracy shooting more realistic starting off and unlimited ammo is gone as a trade off. Replaced with heat clips to keep with the game's codex lore of ME1 that traditional ammo does not exist anymore. It's all tiny metal shards accelerated to near light speed with mass effect fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Missed out on the last 2 DLC for ME3, both are meant to be good or at least nice additions. But due to the fact that Bioware never have sales on their DLC (on PC) or the points to buy them they're still very expensive.

I could likely get the remastered version with all the games and dlc for cheaper.

ME2 was a big change in combat, biotics got a big over hall and weapons were improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Started 1 again there recently, decided to hook it up to my 50" flatscreen. It still holds up reasonably well - sure, it's not going to win any realistic graphics competitions, but with this quality texture mod, it's still very watchable. And playable, even if - as mentioned - the combat of ME2 is quite a bit better.

Decided to go Engineer, the one class I haven't played yet. Also picked a black femshep, which I haven't done either.

Advertisement