Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was outside there now. It's very cold. Fire lit in mid May. Madness
    We've had a few heavy downpours from 3ish, it got chilly and I lit the fire at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

Growth is absolutely brutal. There is a few silage fields closed since start of april and they are only at a strong grazing height. You would be hoping growth would take off any week but its not happening

Same here growth is brutal. Spread fertiliser again over the grazing ground this week never had to do that before in May and I have less cattle due to beam and price of stores only for that Id have some back in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pissing rain here all evening. Growth of 65 in the last 6 days, it's improving alright but wet weather and lower DM of grass has stock unsettled, will have paddockor two to take out when weather clears to keep covers right, won't be able to wait for them to go in with first cut. Have been following cows with 20 units N, 2k gallons parlour washings/ watery slurry on some paddocks instead. Walk the farm every week, or few days, you'll be surprised how things will change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭green daries

Mooooo wrote: »
    Pissing rain here all evening. Growth of 65 in the last 6 days, it's improving alright but wet weather and lower DM of grass has stock unsettled, will have paddockor two to take out when weather clears to keep covers right, won't be able to wait for them to go in with first cut. Have been following cows with 20 units N, 2k gallons parlour washings/ watery slurry on some paddocks instead. Walk the farm every week, or few days, you'll be surprised how things will change

Are you still buffering and what with if you are just out of curiosity still buffering here straw and silage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Are you still buffering and what with if you are just out of curiosity still buffering here straw and silage

I be surprised if any dairy farmers is not buffering. Had half my stick back inside for a week. Have started feeding ration to a finishing bunch and have left the one inside out to clean paddocks after them. Have eaten part of one sage paddock will have to use half another one as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Will have to put in some of my stock tomorrow for probably at least a week to give the grass a chance to build up.
    Some of the heavy ground getting cut up and whatever bit of grass being trampled.

Not buffering, getting 5kgs 14% in parlour, haven't gone in with silage since they went out fulltime once they could stay out weather wise.

The ice cold rain in May is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

Put in 21 stores on Sunday and grazed 1 acre silage ground so far - with 14 large stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Good loser wrote: »
    Put in 21 stores on Sunday and grazed 1 acre silage ground so far - with 14 large stock.
    I'll be doing the same today. Putting in around 20 stores.
    Even though there's a slight improvement this week in growth its still only March weather !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

It's getting a bit hairy here. I've started the third graze on some paddocks this week. I haven't been forced into ground closed for hay or silage. Just about staying ahead of them with grass. 50 x 15 to 26mt olds out on 30 acres. I wont house. Ground like concrete here so will stick in a ring feeder and feed with grass to slow down if needed. Upping meal for the heaviest 20 to get them ready for slaughter thwt bit sooner to slow those on grass. Grass is very dry here almost crisp. They seem to be thriving away on it and cleaning out paddocks very well. I took a chance on sibclair magill grass seed while reseeding over the last few years that performs well in colder conditions into the spring/autumn. Better be lucky than good some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Cordless grass trimmer in Aldi tomorrow week if anybody wants to do cut and weight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

13mm today, heat, and loads of sunshine. Rocketfuel for grass, woohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭green daries

Cordless grass trimmer in Aldi tomorrow week if anybody wants to do cut and weight

We would need a hoover around these parts to collect the grass lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Timmaay wrote: »

We had great growing humid day here in the midlands but heavy rain last night and very heavy showers again today so ground getting soft especially the re-seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im glad of the few spare bales of silage....ill never look to sell old silage again...priceless!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

Going to put in 20 stores. Ground absolutely saturated here after today's rain. They are only walking grass into the ground and bogging the place. Better off in for a few days

Timmaay wrote: »

Very significant growth today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Im glad of the few spare bales of silage....ill never look to sell old silage again...priceless!

Old hay old gold

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

Going to put in some tomorrow for a week or 10 days hopefully the place will dry out and grass will grow!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Is there ne'ery abit of growth at all?!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is there ne'ery abit of growth at all?!!

Enough to make a field look better but that's about it.

Possible it is speeding up these days. Hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I walked fields on Thursday that got slurry 3 weeks ago and you could still see it in places but it's a different picture this morning. The grass is jumping out of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

surprised how sticky the top surface got ( joys of farming in heavy yellow clay i suppose) considering how dry ground had been. Plenty silage bales left over so low growth suited me this year

Hershall wrote: »
    Going to put in some tomorrow for a week or 10 days hopefully the place will dry out and grass will grow!!!!

Ground is drying out quickly. And really fast growth. Don't feed too many bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Hershall wrote: »

I let 16 back into the bird cover again with a round bale. There’s a pick grass init too . Normally have it sown by now so glad I haven’t. Got a ton of sulpa can to shake on 16 acres of reseeded paddocks so a week in bird cover will give that a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Robson99 wrote: »
    Going to put in 20 stores. Ground absolutely saturated here after today's rain. They are only walking grass into the ground and bogging the place. Better off in for a few days

Where is that? Conditions where I am in N Galway not so bad, not too much rain, but no growth due to lack of heat.

Growth is taking off here, dry breaks in weather to manage the grass will be the issue now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

great growth here last 2 days in Limerick lovely soft rain and temp well up, place is greening up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

Put them in this evening. Grass very tight.

Advertisement