Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What I do not understand is how someone could read that and say "yep, that makes sense because blah."

What could you possibly replace blah with?

His clear and concise method of conveying his point? Nope.

The deeply rooted logic and rationality that underpins his argument? Nope.

How can he read that and say "yes, I'm going to put this in the public domain where other people can read it"? How can his editors do that?

GAH!:mad:

Reading his stuff is like taking a fistful of crazy pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jernal wrote: »
    Um, seriously got to ask here how much does this guy get paid for this rubbish?
    I'd say a fair bit plus he's a part of the broadcasting board too. Still can't believe he's considered a credible journalist.

• Moderators Posts: 51,847 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Rationality and reason shut out mystery? This coming from a person who believes that God created the universe for one species to worship him?

If person chooses a reason/rationality over religion (Roman-Catholism in this case) then the amount of mystery in their life is increased. Things like abiogensis, evolution, language, morality, art etc. are no longer "God-given" and now something to be investigated to see what the origin of these ideas/process.

Surely it is religion, i.e. Roman-Catholism, that is reductionist? It says "God made this", "God says don't do that", "your life is gift so that you can worship God".

And his premise for his closing question is daft, "since scientists do not not know how matter originated, what exactly is a non-'supernatural' explanation for the meaning of life?" He states that the realm of science doesn't have scientific knowledge about X, then poses a philosophical question about Y.

It was strange for him to critise people for alledgedly believing in things they don't understand because the experts assure them the theory makes sense. He fails to consider that reasoning is way more damaging to his own following of his brand of Christianity, seeing as he has no understanding how an enternal deity could exist and how it could create a universe.

In addition to that, anyone can educate themselves in science and investigate the evidence for themselves. Can the same be said for Christianity?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Still can't believe he's considered a credible journalist.
    The mystery for me is why he's considered an intellectual.

He'd be a smart guy if he'd drunk as much from the fountain of knowledge as much as he'd wee-wee'd into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,204 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robindch wrote: »
    He'd be a smart guy if he'd drunk as much from the fountain of knowledge as much as he'd wee-wee'd into it.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wait, are you suggesting drinking your own wee makes you smarter? :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    Drinking my wee? Well, couldn't do him any harm. If you've his address, I'll send him a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nope, but it could make you a survival expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,204 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Drinking my wee? Well, couldn't do him any harm. If you've his address, I'll send him a bottle.

Attach a note saying "This urine has been transubstantiated into the urine of Jesus Christ." He'll definitely drink it then. He wouldn't even need to think about it - much easier on brain, mind and reason.

That'll be the Royal Wee I suppose.

• Advertisement

That'll be the Royal Wee I suppose.

I bet you've been saving that for years for even the most tangentially relevant moment.:p

A quote by Phil Plait that is an excellent answer to Mr. Waters anti-reason article. It's in comic form, and very large so didn't embed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Pope Benedict, speaking last year in Berlin, compared the reduction of reason imposed on our cultures to a concrete bunker with no windows

He would, wouldn't he!

It's analogous to the oil companies warning Americans about how wind farms are 'warming' Texas. Not at all biased. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

koth wrote: »
    A quote by Phil Plait that is an excellent answer to Mr. Waters anti-reason article. It's in comic form, and very large so didn't embed it.

I really love those kind of comics. Thanks.

Ah jaysus. He was on Newstalk there trotting out more or less the same bollocks. The presenter was useless - just let him drone on and on.

He seriously likes the sound of his own voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

This time he reckons Irish politics is like a spagetti western:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0615/1224317977630.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No mention of atheists, or bullsh*t about mystery and understanding reality by ignoring it. He must be ill.

On the other hand, that piece was spectacularly daft. And he clearly hasn't watched many good westerns. Shine on, your crazy, crazy diamond!

is he on drugs or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bluewolf wrote: »
    is he on drugs or something

If he isn't, the. I suspect he should be.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

I suspect that there is a story waiting to be be written about how the Mick Wallace VAT affair illustrates some aspect of the Irish psyche or Irish culture - but this pile of waffle from John Waters is not that story.

Why on earth an alleged "quality paper" continues to publish this gibberish is beyond me. Maybe somebody could write a story about that instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Watery logic, anyone?

^^^ Watery grave methinks.

Doesn't take long to realise Water loon he is.

With irony meters fatally red-lined, Mr Witters is appearing this evening at the Dalkey Book Festival to talk about his book "How We Lost the Plot":

http://www.dalkeybookfestival.org/how-we-lost-the-plot-john-waters-talks-to-david-mcwilliams/

"We" meaning "I" in this case, one assumes.

It's sold out anyway, so no temptation to go there and sneeze, fart loudly, move one's chair about the place, pick one's nose, scratch one's bum and generally prepare to hand him A+A's coveted "Pigs Bladder on a Stick" award.

209051.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Water these religious conservative types smoking tbh?!

swampgas wrote: »
    I suspect that there is a story waiting to be be written about how the Mick Wallace VAT affair illustrates some aspect of the Irish psyche or Irish culture - but this pile of waffle from John Waters is not that story.
    Indeed, though it's a good illustration of his less religious comments on politics. Incoherence is something common to a lot of his writing - something to do with him commenting on others - he thinks he knows what ails us.
    Why on earth an alleged "quality paper" continues to publish this gibberish is beyond me. Maybe somebody could write a story about that instead?
    That is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A+A's coveted "Pigs Bladder on a Stick" award.

Say what now?

Dave! wrote: »
    Water these religious conservative types smoking tbh?!
    A few years ago, Waters denied being a conservative - despite taking conservative positions on a lot of things (e.g. same-sex marriage).

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

tawnyowl wrote: »
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Crocodile?

duck-crocodile1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

With irony meters fatally red-lined, Mr Witters is appearing this evening at the Dalkey Book Festival to talk about his book "How We Lost the Plot":

He's finally got his autobiography published then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

A+A's coveted "Pigs Bladder on a Stick" award.

209051.JPG

I WANT ONE!!!!!! Gimmiegimmegimmie!!!!!

please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It says something about Mr. Water's own standards of personal hygiene and his waffling abilities that he thinks Mick Wallace is the clean no-nonsense personification of the american hero;
    The baddie always sports a moustache, a mean look and an evil laugh; the minor baddies are fat, short-arsed and stupid. Baddies mouth off too much – the more talk the less principles........
    The Good Guys are not so much handsome as virtuous-looking, fresh-faced...like myself and Mick
    yes, tbh I did modify the end of that quote

His latest droolings

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0629/1224318966021.html
    Congress gave sense of community with Christ

JOHN WATERS

Fri, Jun 29, 2012

The reductive, cynical media overlooked the real significance of the Eucharistic Congress

WHAT HAPPENED at the 50th International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin was, in human terms, sensational. I do not say “Catholic terms”, or “religious terms”, or “spiritual terms”. I say “human terms” because in excess of 100,000 Irish people came together and rediscovered something about their lives that they had for some time been disposed to doubt. The Irish media missed this completely and, moreover, couldn’t care less.

The congress began in a cloud of pessimism, arising from the current beleaguerment of the official church. The attitude of the Catholic Church’s Irish leaders since the announcement that the 50th IEC would be held in Dublin suggested this was something they would prefer not to have to undertake. The timing was wrong; there were too many unresolved issues; and it would inevitably lead to a further backlash.

This pessimism was, in worldly terms, understandable but excluded the possibility of unworldly occurrences. The fact that Pope Benedict XVI was advised against travelling to the congress was perhaps the most visible indication of this negative thinking, which infected also those who were thinking of attending.

For the first couple of days the mood among Irish pilgrims was fragile and a little subdued. The media, looking around for empty chairs to count and photograph, captured this reasonably well.

But then something happened. There occurred an encounter – then another, then another – between one frayed and bewildered Catholic and another. People gathered in the cafes and compared their tentative impressions of the congress and their views of life in general. At Masses and workshops they fell into conversation. Out of these exchanges emerged a feeling – not just “I am not alone”, but “I have not been alone after all”.

For years now, Irish Catholics have found themselves at least as beleaguered as the church’s leadership. But for many of the silent – silenced – faithful, the sense of being besieged has been worse, because they have been denied the opportunity to conduct the kind of public conversations out of which affirmation and encouragement might be gleaned. The clerical abuse scandals have provided a pretext for the enemies of Catholicism to drive virtually all such conversation from the public realm. This process has resulted in another: an isolating of the individual human person with regard to the primary questions of existence.

With increasing vehemence, this new, de-absolutised culture insinuates that human beings are defined only and completely by economic, political and technocratic means, with broader understandings categorised as outmoded, irrational and problematic.

What happens is that each person in his or her own skin becomes convinced that certain understandings about reality – inherited, adopted, arrived at or reasoned into – have, in some uncertain and unclear way, been declared obsolete and extraneous. Nobody can recall the conversations in which these decisions were arrived at but many can detect the consequences in the changed air around them.

At the RDS a fortnight ago, thousands of people awoke to the trick that has been perpetrated upon them. They discovered that others had been experiencing the same odd sensations and similarly rendered inarticulate about what was assailing them.

There is another way of putting this: Irish Catholics attending the congress had an experience of Christ’s continuing presence in their lives.

This, though, is an example of a sentence we have to be careful about in the new dispensation. The day may come when we may require a special font to indicate that such sentences are no longer approved.

However you describe it, the fact remains that thousands of people went home from the congress reinvigorated with a sense that, notwithstanding the content of the surrounding culture, they had been accompanied all the while.

That the media missed all this is unsurprising since this failure was built into the conditions I have described. Moreover, the conclusion is inescapable that the media no longer considers the reporting or analysis of such phenomena as part of its brief, so that this “failure” is not regarded as a failure but as a victory.

This represents a grave situation in democratic terms. It means that the benefits of the Irish media as a means of communication between people – as opposed to at people – has been withdrawn on a selective ideological basis by those who control the media by operating it.

Indeed, because the media has now vacated all areas of potential exploration not concerned with the most literal elements of material existence, the consequences are more serious. They include, yes, the privatisation of the greater questions confronting the human person but, more than that, the construction without consultation of a culture in which, all such questions having been hollowed out, the individual human being is left thinking such questions occur to him or her alone.

At the back of this development is what is called “pluralism”, a word which implies that every outlook in this category is being accorded equal emphasis and respect. But the only perspective that is respected and provided for in this new dispensation is that of the disgruntled sceptic, the nihilist, the cynic. His is the only absolutism now truly represented in the reconstructed conversation of our public square.

© 2012 The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dave! wrote: »
    His latest droolings

I've read that twice but still don't have a clue what he's ranting on about. Looks like a load of absolute bollixology to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

At the RDS a fortnight ago, thousands of people awoke to the trick that has been perpetrated upon them. They discovered that others had been experiencing the same odd sensations and similarly rendered inarticulate about what was assailing them.

There is another way of putting this: Irish Catholics attending the congress had an experience of Christ’s continuing presence in their lives.

"Assailing" is an odd choice of words. It kind of implies that Jesus Christ is going around mugging people. Might be appropriate, given that a lot of people might yell his name if being threatened with a knife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...it gets worse as it goes on.

Pretty damning in one, he seems to be saying that the weekly Mass is not giving spiritual reinforcement to the Catholics.

It actually reads as if the RCC only exists in tiny pockets around the country, and is constantly attacked from all sides:rolleyes:

And is really complaining that the newspapers don't have enough "God-talk"? They're newspapers, not the local parish bulletin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've read that twice but still don't have a clue what he's ranting on about. Looks like a load of absolute bollixology to me.

He is just another ageing male Catholic railing against the waning of the star of Catholicism and it is, supposedly, everyone's fault but theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I say “human terms” because in excess of 100,000 Irish people came together and rediscovered something about their lives that they had for some time been disposed to doubt. The Irish media missed this completely and, moreover, couldn’t care less.
    Mr. Waters should in fact be delighted that the media missed the fact that despite nearly 90% of Irish people claiming to Roman Catholic, less than 3% of them paid any attention to the RC equivalent of the World Cup.

If they were to report on this dismal attendance, it would lead to quite serious questions about the state of his chosen faith in this country.

oh waters shut up and stop talkin bollocks will ye

couldnt get past the first 2 paragraphs of that tripe

• Advertisement

^
    Just wrote an oul letter to the Times pointing out just that fact :p

Y'know, I saw Valve's new "Meet the Pyro" short, and I actually thought of John Waters, drooling away in his little fantasy dream world where he makes sense and Catholicism is all lollipops and sunshine and children not getting tortured and raped...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How can he complain about the "media" in his newspaper column?

Also...

being-oppressed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

koth wrote: »
    And is really complaining that the newspapers don't have enough "God-talk"? They're newspapers, not the local parish bulletin.

As I recall though, the IT had Jesuspalooza on it's front page every day it was on. I don't read the Indo so I can't comment on it but Broadsheet featured it quite a bit. Not to mention the extensive RTE live coverage. What does he want, a Big Brother style 24/7 coverage?

'Day 2 in the Big Jesus house, the bishop's saying mass.'

Come on, there was more than enough coverage of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

How can he complain about the "media" in his newspaper column?
    The word "media" appears 8 times. Those consistently anti-catholic, biased journalists, and everyone knows that The Irish Times is the worst offender......:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The media, John?

Would that be TV, online, radio, print, social?

Be specific, otherwise STFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fitz0 wrote: »
    As I recall though, the IT had Jesuspalooza on it's front page every day it was on. I don't read the Indo so I can't comment on it but Broadsheet featured it quite a bit. Not to mention the extensive RTE live coverage. What does he want, a Big Brother style 24/7 coverage?

12 AM....Cardinal Brady is in the Diary Room....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Nodin wrote: »
    fitz0 wrote: »

12 AM....Cardinal Brady is in the Diary Room....

Fr. Brian D'Arcy, how does it feel to be the first Catholic evicted from the Congress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Undergod wrote: »
    Fr. Brian D'Arcy, how does it feel to be the first Catholic evicted from the Congress?

This post caught my eye, I have not followed any of this Congress, was it like on Fr. Ted? Sounds funny, did I miss something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Nah, just Brian D'Arcy is yer man that's getting gag orders from the Vatican a few months back, and I was taking some comic liberties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement