Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    A+A's coveted "Pigs Bladder on a Stick" award.

209051.JPG

I WANT ONE!!!!!! Gimmiegimmegimmie!!!!!

please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It says something about Mr. Water's own standards of personal hygiene and his waffling abilities that he thinks Mick Wallace is the clean no-nonsense personification of the american hero;
    The baddie always sports a moustache, a mean look and an evil laugh; the minor baddies are fat, short-arsed and stupid. Baddies mouth off too much – the more talk the less principles........
    The Good Guys are not so much handsome as virtuous-looking, fresh-faced...like myself and Mick
    yes, tbh I did modify the end of that quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

His latest droolings

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0629/1224318966021.html
    Congress gave sense of community with Christ

JOHN WATERS

Fri, Jun 29, 2012

The reductive, cynical media overlooked the real significance of the Eucharistic Congress

WHAT HAPPENED at the 50th International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin was, in human terms, sensational. I do not say “Catholic terms”, or “religious terms”, or “spiritual terms”. I say “human terms” because in excess of 100,000 Irish people came together and rediscovered something about their lives that they had for some time been disposed to doubt. The Irish media missed this completely and, moreover, couldn’t care less.

The congress began in a cloud of pessimism, arising from the current beleaguerment of the official church. The attitude of the Catholic Church’s Irish leaders since the announcement that the 50th IEC would be held in Dublin suggested this was something they would prefer not to have to undertake. The timing was wrong; there were too many unresolved issues; and it would inevitably lead to a further backlash.

This pessimism was, in worldly terms, understandable but excluded the possibility of unworldly occurrences. The fact that Pope Benedict XVI was advised against travelling to the congress was perhaps the most visible indication of this negative thinking, which infected also those who were thinking of attending.

For the first couple of days the mood among Irish pilgrims was fragile and a little subdued. The media, looking around for empty chairs to count and photograph, captured this reasonably well.

But then something happened. There occurred an encounter – then another, then another – between one frayed and bewildered Catholic and another. People gathered in the cafes and compared their tentative impressions of the congress and their views of life in general. At Masses and workshops they fell into conversation. Out of these exchanges emerged a feeling – not just “I am not alone”, but “I have not been alone after all”.

For years now, Irish Catholics have found themselves at least as beleaguered as the church’s leadership. But for many of the silent – silenced – faithful, the sense of being besieged has been worse, because they have been denied the opportunity to conduct the kind of public conversations out of which affirmation and encouragement might be gleaned. The clerical abuse scandals have provided a pretext for the enemies of Catholicism to drive virtually all such conversation from the public realm. This process has resulted in another: an isolating of the individual human person with regard to the primary questions of existence.

With increasing vehemence, this new, de-absolutised culture insinuates that human beings are defined only and completely by economic, political and technocratic means, with broader understandings categorised as outmoded, irrational and problematic.

What happens is that each person in his or her own skin becomes convinced that certain understandings about reality – inherited, adopted, arrived at or reasoned into – have, in some uncertain and unclear way, been declared obsolete and extraneous. Nobody can recall the conversations in which these decisions were arrived at but many can detect the consequences in the changed air around them.

At the RDS a fortnight ago, thousands of people awoke to the trick that has been perpetrated upon them. They discovered that others had been experiencing the same odd sensations and similarly rendered inarticulate about what was assailing them.

There is another way of putting this: Irish Catholics attending the congress had an experience of Christ’s continuing presence in their lives.

This, though, is an example of a sentence we have to be careful about in the new dispensation. The day may come when we may require a special font to indicate that such sentences are no longer approved.

However you describe it, the fact remains that thousands of people went home from the congress reinvigorated with a sense that, notwithstanding the content of the surrounding culture, they had been accompanied all the while.

That the media missed all this is unsurprising since this failure was built into the conditions I have described. Moreover, the conclusion is inescapable that the media no longer considers the reporting or analysis of such phenomena as part of its brief, so that this “failure” is not regarded as a failure but as a victory.

This represents a grave situation in democratic terms. It means that the benefits of the Irish media as a means of communication between people – as opposed to at people – has been withdrawn on a selective ideological basis by those who control the media by operating it.

Indeed, because the media has now vacated all areas of potential exploration not concerned with the most literal elements of material existence, the consequences are more serious. They include, yes, the privatisation of the greater questions confronting the human person but, more than that, the construction without consultation of a culture in which, all such questions having been hollowed out, the individual human being is left thinking such questions occur to him or her alone.

At the back of this development is what is called “pluralism”, a word which implies that every outlook in this category is being accorded equal emphasis and respect. But the only perspective that is respected and provided for in this new dispensation is that of the disgruntled sceptic, the nihilist, the cynic. His is the only absolutism now truly represented in the reconstructed conversation of our public square.

© 2012 The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dave! wrote: »
    His latest droolings

I've read that twice but still don't have a clue what he's ranting on about. Looks like a load of absolute bollixology to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

At the RDS a fortnight ago, thousands of people awoke to the trick that has been perpetrated upon them. They discovered that others had been experiencing the same odd sensations and similarly rendered inarticulate about what was assailing them.

There is another way of putting this: Irish Catholics attending the congress had an experience of Christ’s continuing presence in their lives.

"Assailing" is an odd choice of words. It kind of implies that Jesus Christ is going around mugging people. Might be appropriate, given that a lot of people might yell his name if being threatened with a knife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...it gets worse as it goes on.

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Pretty damning in one, he seems to be saying that the weekly Mass is not giving spiritual reinforcement to the Catholics.

It actually reads as if the RCC only exists in tiny pockets around the country, and is constantly attacked from all sides:rolleyes:

And is really complaining that the newspapers don't have enough "God-talk"? They're newspapers, not the local parish bulletin.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've read that twice but still don't have a clue what he's ranting on about. Looks like a load of absolute bollixology to me.

He is just another ageing male Catholic railing against the waning of the star of Catholicism and it is, supposedly, everyone's fault but theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I say “human terms” because in excess of 100,000 Irish people came together and rediscovered something about their lives that they had for some time been disposed to doubt. The Irish media missed this completely and, moreover, couldn’t care less.
    Mr. Waters should in fact be delighted that the media missed the fact that despite nearly 90% of Irish people claiming to Roman Catholic, less than 3% of them paid any attention to the RC equivalent of the World Cup.

If they were to report on this dismal attendance, it would lead to quite serious questions about the state of his chosen faith in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oh waters shut up and stop talkin bollocks will ye

couldnt get past the first 2 paragraphs of that tripe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

^
    Just wrote an oul letter to the Times pointing out just that fact :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Y'know, I saw Valve's new "Meet the Pyro" short, and I actually thought of John Waters, drooling away in his little fantasy dream world where he makes sense and Catholicism is all lollipops and sunshine and children not getting tortured and raped...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How can he complain about the "media" in his newspaper column?

Also...

being-oppressed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

koth wrote: »
    And is really complaining that the newspapers don't have enough "God-talk"? They're newspapers, not the local parish bulletin.

As I recall though, the IT had Jesuspalooza on it's front page every day it was on. I don't read the Indo so I can't comment on it but Broadsheet featured it quite a bit. Not to mention the extensive RTE live coverage. What does he want, a Big Brother style 24/7 coverage?

'Day 2 in the Big Jesus house, the bishop's saying mass.'

Come on, there was more than enough coverage of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dades wrote: »
    How can he complain about the "media" in his newspaper column?
    The word "media" appears 8 times. Those consistently anti-catholic, biased journalists, and everyone knows that The Irish Times is the worst offender......:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The media, John?

Would that be TV, online, radio, print, social?

Be specific, otherwise STFU.

fitz0 wrote: »
    As I recall though, the IT had Jesuspalooza on it's front page every day it was on. I don't read the Indo so I can't comment on it but Broadsheet featured it quite a bit. Not to mention the extensive RTE live coverage. What does he want, a Big Brother style 24/7 coverage?

12 AM....Cardinal Brady is in the Diary Room....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Nodin wrote: »

12 AM....Cardinal Brady is in the Diary Room....

Fr. Brian D'Arcy, how does it feel to be the first Catholic evicted from the Congress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Undergod wrote: »
    Fr. Brian D'Arcy, how does it feel to be the first Catholic evicted from the Congress?

This post caught my eye, I have not followed any of this Congress, was it like on Fr. Ted? Sounds funny, did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Nah, just Brian D'Arcy is yer man that's getting gag orders from the Vatican a few months back, and I was taking some comic liberties.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

I always found Brendan O'Connor a lot more convincing than Fr Trendy D'arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

DarkJager wrote: »

The Congress started on a downbeat note, journalists photographed empty chairs, attendees later cheered up, John Waters claims that this was due to some mysterious immaterial - eh - thingy. He doesn't like that the media (or those he read) didn't note the change in mood and concludes that this is somehow due to the media not reporting views they don't care for and John Waters feels this is somehow not good for democracy.

Summed up in two sentences. Maybe I should teach John Waters how to write more clearly....

One thing I noted - he was talking a lot about mood - John Waters seems to emote when he needs to think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

tawnyowl wrote: »
    The Congress started on a downbeat note, journalists photographed empty chairs, attendees later cheered up, John Waters claims that this was due to some mysterious immaterial - eh - thingy.
    Funny you should say that -- a heavily religious relative rang me the other day to say that there'd been a miracle at the event, but she didn't have the full details yet and would get back to me when she did.

A miracle that anybody turned up to the thing at all, I'd have thought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

tawnyowl wrote: »
    Maybe I should teach John Waters how to write more clearly....
    FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

2.jpg

Does not compute.

I realise it may not be our JW but still. What if it is?

EDIT: Just noticed the line points to occult. It must be our John.

Does not compute.

Nopers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Waters_(filmmaker)

Our John Waters isn't capable of such concise, clear statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

2.jpg

Does not compute.

No! Kindle for the win!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Of course there was. RTE had 3 bloody hours of it live on two consecutive Sundays. I can't imagine the viewing figures were high. Looked like about as much fun as an appointment with an incompetent dentist.

I just don't understand how Waters still has a column in a national newspaper, even allowing for the dire state of newspapers generally. He's the ultimate strawmanner, always arguing against his own perceived grieveances and injustices which often barely exist outside of Watersworld. He seems to be implying that the most boring and pointless conference of the year should have had more than the already-generous coverage that it garnered. Really John?

• Advertisement

Heh, "Watersworld", I'm using that. The associations with the Kevin Costner film are just too delicious.

Advertisement