Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What I do not understand is how someone could read that and say "yep, that makes sense because blah."

What could you possibly replace blah with?

His clear and concise method of conveying his point? Nope.

The deeply rooted logic and rationality that underpins his argument? Nope.

How can he read that and say "yes, I'm going to put this in the public domain where other people can read it"? How can his editors do that?

GAH!:mad:

Reading his stuff is like taking a fistful of crazy pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jernal wrote: »
    Um, seriously got to ask here how much does this guy get paid for this rubbish?
    I'd say a fair bit plus he's a part of the broadcasting board too. Still can't believe he's considered a credible journalist.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Rationality and reason shut out mystery? This coming from a person who believes that God created the universe for one species to worship him?

If person chooses a reason/rationality over religion (Roman-Catholism in this case) then the amount of mystery in their life is increased. Things like abiogensis, evolution, language, morality, art etc. are no longer "God-given" and now something to be investigated to see what the origin of these ideas/process.

Surely it is religion, i.e. Roman-Catholism, that is reductionist? It says "God made this", "God says don't do that", "your life is gift so that you can worship God".

And his premise for his closing question is daft, "since scientists do not not know how matter originated, what exactly is a non-'supernatural' explanation for the meaning of life?" He states that the realm of science doesn't have scientific knowledge about X, then poses a philosophical question about Y.

It was strange for him to critise people for alledgedly believing in things they don't understand because the experts assure them the theory makes sense. He fails to consider that reasoning is way more damaging to his own following of his brand of Christianity, seeing as he has no understanding how an enternal deity could exist and how it could create a universe.

In addition to that, anyone can educate themselves in science and investigate the evidence for themselves. Can the same be said for Christianity?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Still can't believe he's considered a credible journalist.
    The mystery for me is why he's considered an intellectual.

He'd be a smart guy if he'd drunk as much from the fountain of knowledge as much as he'd wee-wee'd into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robindch wrote: »
    He'd be a smart guy if he'd drunk as much from the fountain of knowledge as much as he'd wee-wee'd into it.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wait, are you suggesting drinking your own wee makes you smarter? :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    Drinking my wee? Well, couldn't do him any harm. If you've his address, I'll send him a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nope, but it could make you a survival expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Drinking my wee? Well, couldn't do him any harm. If you've his address, I'll send him a bottle.

Attach a note saying "This urine has been transubstantiated into the urine of Jesus Christ." He'll definitely drink it then. He wouldn't even need to think about it - much easier on brain, mind and reason.

That'll be the Royal Wee I suppose.

• Advertisement

That'll be the Royal Wee I suppose.

I bet you've been saving that for years for even the most tangentially relevant moment.:p

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

A quote by Phil Plait that is an excellent answer to Mr. Waters anti-reason article. It's in comic form, and very large so didn't embed it.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Pope Benedict, speaking last year in Berlin, compared the reduction of reason imposed on our cultures to a concrete bunker with no windows

He would, wouldn't he!

It's analogous to the oil companies warning Americans about how wind farms are 'warming' Texas. Not at all biased. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

koth wrote: »
    A quote by Phil Plait that is an excellent answer to Mr. Waters anti-reason article. It's in comic form, and very large so didn't embed it.

I really love those kind of comics. Thanks.

Ah jaysus. He was on Newstalk there trotting out more or less the same bollocks. The presenter was useless - just let him drone on and on.

He seriously likes the sound of his own voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

This time he reckons Irish politics is like a spagetti western:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0615/1224317977630.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No mention of atheists, or bullsh*t about mystery and understanding reality by ignoring it. He must be ill.

On the other hand, that piece was spectacularly daft. And he clearly hasn't watched many good westerns. Shine on, your crazy, crazy diamond!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

is he on drugs or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bluewolf wrote: »
    is he on drugs or something

If he isn't, the. I suspect he should be.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

I suspect that there is a story waiting to be be written about how the Mick Wallace VAT affair illustrates some aspect of the Irish psyche or Irish culture - but this pile of waffle from John Waters is not that story.

Why on earth an alleged "quality paper" continues to publish this gibberish is beyond me. Maybe somebody could write a story about that instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Watery logic, anyone?

^^^ Watery grave methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Doesn't take long to realise Water loon he is.

With irony meters fatally red-lined, Mr Witters is appearing this evening at the Dalkey Book Festival to talk about his book "How We Lost the Plot":

http://www.dalkeybookfestival.org/how-we-lost-the-plot-john-waters-talks-to-david-mcwilliams/

"We" meaning "I" in this case, one assumes.

It's sold out anyway, so no temptation to go there and sneeze, fart loudly, move one's chair about the place, pick one's nose, scratch one's bum and generally prepare to hand him A+A's coveted "Pigs Bladder on a Stick" award.

209051.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Water these religious conservative types smoking tbh?!

swampgas wrote: »
    I suspect that there is a story waiting to be be written about how the Mick Wallace VAT affair illustrates some aspect of the Irish psyche or Irish culture - but this pile of waffle from John Waters is not that story.
    Indeed, though it's a good illustration of his less religious comments on politics. Incoherence is something common to a lot of his writing - something to do with him commenting on others - he thinks he knows what ails us.
    Why on earth an alleged "quality paper" continues to publish this gibberish is beyond me. Maybe somebody could write a story about that instead?
    That is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A+A's coveted "Pigs Bladder on a Stick" award.

Say what now?

Dave! wrote: »
    Water these religious conservative types smoking tbh?!
    A few years ago, Waters denied being a conservative - despite taking conservative positions on a lot of things (e.g. same-sex marriage).

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

tawnyowl wrote: »
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Crocodile?

duck-crocodile1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

With irony meters fatally red-lined, Mr Witters is appearing this evening at the Dalkey Book Festival to talk about his book "How We Lost the Plot":

He's finally got his autobiography published then?

Advertisement