Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncle wants to take 11 year old on Holidays on their own Mod Warning #51

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That the op is asking opinions is enough to show he's unsure.

If in doubt don't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Unless the uncle has been a carer to 'mammy and daddy' I would question the lifeskills of someone who never lived independently should anything unexpected happen in London with a child...
    It is possible both for the OPs reaction to be OTT based on previous opinion of the uncle AND for it still to be a bad idea...

The uncle has never babysat for the niece on his own... not one night but out of the blue a weekend getaway to London is the first such offer?
    Something doesnt add up.

Where do you get all this?

Op hasn't said it.

Op obviously has a dislike for his brother in law and seems not giving any information.

Possibly the brother in law just currently lives with his parents. Op has been very careful in wording his two posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

OP seems long gone, this thread is going in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Darc19 wrote: »
    Where do you get all this?

Op hasn't said it.

Op obviously has a dislike for his brother in law and seems not giving any information.

Possibly the brother in law just currently lives with his parents. Op has been very careful in wording his two posts.

The OP most certainly dislikes the brother-in-law. He didn't say "still living with the parents" - it was "Mammy & Daddy". Then the way he phrased it about the new girlfriend.

Maybe there is something "not right" with the brother-in-law. How can we know?

It seems an odd thing to be asking here. I don't see how anyone can give guidance.

Travelling at this time is daft anyway.

Antares35 wrote: »
    For what it's worth on this point, our daughter is four months old and OH and I are in the process of drafting a will that ensures nobody from my family will have custody of her if we both die. People can and do make provision for the welfare of their children every day, and sometimes that involves heartbreaking decisions, it's just not exactly something you'd bring up as casual conversation in the office over coffee.

The way you are doing things is the right way to do it.

I’m just questioning those that are saying that they would never let their child go away with another relative. It’s entirely up to them to make that decision but if they do feel that way, they really need to forward plan for all eventualities as you have.

Probability is all of you will get to raise your children to adulthood but life can take an unexpected turn now and then.

• Advertisement

A single man at home with parents is no more or less likely to interfere with a child than its parent or someone in comes into contact with through school or activities.

I would be very aware of kids safety and would never be willing to take even the smallest chance but I would never assume someone is guilty of something based on looks/life.

This type of trip needs thought, not assumptions.

Statistically, he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I have read all the messages, some a little off the wall.

I wasn't able to response for the last few day as I was working. I spoke to my wife/ her parents about the situation and we all had the same option we just didn't feel comfortable, we don't have any Issues with him he doesn't have a family and probably naive when it comes to this sort of thing.

So probably my wife will tag along and suggest his G/F also tags along.

Advertisement