Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Anyone use LM4360 AHERLA K7 P? I put him on yesterday as something different other than Knell or Zag and interested to hear if anyone has calves on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What's cwi meant to be for calving? People's experience, not the figures...

I had a heavy pull out of a simx first calver. Bull calf. Big thick head on the calf. Once the head came, the rest wasn't too bad. All OK though..

I've used him twice on mature cows.....no issue calved themselves....would not have thought of him as a bull for maiden heifers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

I had a heavy pull out of a simx first calver. Bull calf. Big thick head on the calf. Once the head came, the rest wasn't too bad. All OK though..

I haven’t used him but i wouldn’t be putting a bull like that on heifers either without expecting trouble especially if it’s a bull calf.
    I’d try LM2014 on heifers if you want to put a Lim on them.
    Hard to beat Saler bulls on heifers for trouble free calving imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Used him on 30 months, odd pull, wouldn't be fir tight heifers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Weighed a Fiston bull calf today for a neighbour as part of Beep. 360Kg and still not 6 months. Serious calf. You'd laugh if you saw him at about 6 weeks. He was as wide as he was tall.

This bull weighed 390kg yesterday at the mart. He never got a bit of meal, straight off the cow. It's some weight for a Feb calf. Mother is a black whitehead.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

This bull weighed 390kg yesterday at the mart. He never got a bit of meal, straight off the cow. It's some weight for a Feb calf. Mother is a black whitehead.

She must be very milky to be at that weight already. What did he make at the ring?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    She must be very milky to be at that weight already. What did he make at the ring?
    €890 I think. Colour went against him. He was greyish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Calves are weighing well this year, she’s a good cow
    Sadly as per your later post colour can be an issue

Calves are weighing well this year, she’s a good cow
    Sadly as per your later post colour can be an issue

No offence, but she's a sh!t cow if her calf is only worth 890 let alone a ch bull calf

• Advertisement

No offence, but she's a sh!t cow if her calf is only worth 890 let alone a ch bull calf

God, ye must have very high standards. Like I said, he never got meal. She's a handy cow maybe 575kg. I'm sure he could get better prices from cont type cows with less milk, but he'd have to feed more meal to make up the diff in weight. End of day it's about profit not vanity.

God, ye must have very high standards. Like I said, he never got meal. She's a handy cow maybe 575kg. I'm sure he could get better prices from cont type cows with less milk, but he'd have to feed more meal to make up the diff in weight. End of day it's about profit not vanity.

50 euro of meal turns a calf inside out, that's probably one of his best too, there not all doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Some weight alright. Did you go with a few?

RD10 wrote: »

Ah, he's a young relative of mine starting out, so I'm delighted for him. ;)

But if that calf was golden yellow in colour the calf could of made €1200+
    Sadly colour is a major factor

Ah, he's a young relative of mine starting out, so I'm delighted for him. ;)

A LM or SI heifer off that cow will set him up well

• Advertisement

But if that calf was golden yellow in colour the calf could of made €1200+
    Sadly colour is a major factor

Ya but that's the thin g out of black cows, colour is ****e. If my aunt had balls she'd b my uncle comes to mind

Week old Excel (LM4027) calf. Great width to him. Seems quiet too.

Week old Excel (LM4027) calf. Great width to him. Seems quiet too.
    Good bone for a limo too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

LM,4027 are nice calves, I have two of them, done ok over the summer and quiet to work with.. best of luck with him.

Anyone any mbp cows? How are they for milk?

• Advertisement

Had two here a few years ago, they were very poor for milk even tho they were off milky cows.They weren’t kept long.

RD10 wrote: »
    Just saw this now. No just brought for him. He had other bucket fed calves too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Kept one here a few years ago.....never again....the cat would have more milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

€890 I think. Colour went against him. He was greyish.

Just about its price. Have softened a little in the last 3 weeks.

Sold three weanling yesterday. Two Zags and something else.

410 made 960
    395 made 920
    390 made 930.

Very surprised with the weights. Weight them 8 weeks ago (July 20) and they 312, 305 and 302. That’s a lot of weight to gain in 56 days. They had been on meal upto the 15 August or so. Grass was only middling the last month also so was happy with weights. A little disappointed with prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s a 7 month old bull......who never had a shake of meal. If all our cows could get calves to that weight with no meal....

And saying “no offence” is not really excuses of being an asshole, no offence.

893bet wrote: »
    It’s a 7 month old bull......who never had a shake of meal. If all our cows could get calves to that weight with no meal....

😂😂😂 When u see the prices little heifers are making, suckle farming is far more than having 400kgs of a calf, a blue is worth 3/kg golden charolais 2.8 and your going nearer to 2/kg for bad calfs with bad colours. Nobody will pay big bucks for bad coloured calfs, all well and good on paper getting so much gain per day, ounce of breeding is worth a tonne of feeding as they say. No offence :rolleyes:

Colour is everything! ...
    And all the cute boys buying the wrong colour calves. Larry doesn't pay for colour.

And all the cute boys buying the wrong colour calves. Larry doesn't pay for colour.

I'm not selling to Larry...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

893bet wrote: »

LOL, couldn't have said it better myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Why is colour a thing if you're just going to cut its throat?

• Advertisement

Why is colour a thing if you're just going to cut its throat?
    Wrong colour would hint at wrong breeding. A golden charolais would indicate a char from a red Lim. A mousey char, an Angus or black Lim mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Anyone ever calf down a heifer from a culard charlaois ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Amateur Farmer

Who2 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with tomschoice jet?

Hi, just wondering if you received any feedback on Tomschoice Jet? I’m thinking of using him this Autumn and was wondering what sort of cow suits him best?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, just wondering if you received any feedback on Tomschoice Jet? I’m thinking of using him this Autumn and was wondering what sort of cow suits him best?

Any help would be appreciated.

Seen a Tom's choice calf make 1050 at 345kgs, out of pathaneise x limo cow., lovely wide hairy calf

Anyone have Lm 4217 Knell calves? How are they as weanlings? Are heifers looking like good replacements? Any information welcome

Mine are doing well. Nice & docile too. Bulls are doing about 1.35 ADG. Couple of nice shapely heifers too by him which I'll be keeping hopefully as replacements next year. He is performing way better than my ZAG calves anyway.

Mine are doing well. Nice & docile too. Bulls are doing about 1.35 ADG. Couple of nice shapely heifers too by him which I'll be keeping hopefully as replacements next year. He is performing way better than my ZAG calves anyway.

Good to hear all that, thanks. No issue with calving them? He seems ok for calving difficulty.

Yeah I had him on a number of heifers (calving at ~24months) but only 1 hard pull. Easy enough but I would only put him on biggesh heifers going forward. I've put him on 10 cows this year

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Has anyone ever tried or had any success using CWI 90% sexed semen on heifers?

So I tried cwi sexed semen on three heifers.
    All are Ai'd 7 weeks now and hopefully have held.They were €40/straw plus insemination free.

• Advertisement

So I tried cwi sexed semen on three heifers.
    All are Ai'd 7 weeks now and hopefully have held.They were €40/straw plus insemination free.

Do you inseminate 12 hours after standing heat as per non sexed?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Do you inseminate 12 hours after standing heat as per non sexed?
    Yes if on in the morning ai in evening.about 10/12 hours.

Has anyone got any older calves by the Bova bull Loyal (LM 4184)?
    Do they stay a bit on the small side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Has anyone got any older calves by the Bova bull Loyal (LM 4184)?
    Do they stay a bit on the small side?

Bull we sold in April was by him, only grew when he was over 10 months &was thriving when we sold him. Mother was tall though.
    Have another this year off a heifer and seems bigger.

Bull we sold in April was by him, only grew when he was over 10 months &was thriving when we sold him. Mother was tall though.
    Have another this year off a heifer and seems bigger.

Would you like him as a bull? I'm thinking of getting some straws, if my AI guy allows me.

Would you like him as a bull? I'm thinking of getting some straws, if my AI guy allows me.

I'd only put him on heifers tbh, there's much better bulls for cows out there imo.
    He gives great calves that pop out easily off a heifer, better than ZAG anyway!

• Advertisement

I'd only put him on heifers tbh, there's much better bulls for cows out there imo.
    He gives great calves that pop out easily off a heifer, better than ZAG anyway!

Ya, it was heifers I wanted him for. It's just with the pedigrees, I don't want to end up with small cows from him.

Ya, it was heifers I wanted him for. It's just with the pedigrees, I don't want to end up with small cows from him.

I've only had two bulls off him so someone else prob has more usage off him which can say better. Here's the heifer with calf when she calved, a framey type. Dunno what he'd be like off smaller heifers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113351298&postcount=5929

Actually while I'm at it, here's the first Loyal fella too. ERE dam.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113285068&postcount=5903

Well he's not a tall bull then, the cows off him would have zero scope in my opinion

Sure if the heifers have any bit of height to them he should throw good calves.
    He’s easy calved, looks decent for milk at the minute anyway and has a very good pedigree.
    He’d be a safe option on heifers, no point destroying a nice heifer with a hard calving bull imo.
    What alternatives are out there
    LM 2014 is easy calved and suitable for heifers, should have a bit of size and nice shape to them but milk mightn’t be great, time will tell.
    Knell should bring size and seems to throwing nice stock but a bit harder calving, should be milk there.

Patsy, here's this year's Loyal bull. He likes the ladies already :D
    He's young & he'll never be a superstar but he's a nice little fella off a heifer.

4YMPS1vh.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement