Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2019 tickets selling fast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Came across a prime example of this today.

Specifically say that funds raised go to charity and to be fair last year they did donate 5,500 however there are a number of things they fail to mention

- this figure includes money raised from free entry with 50e sponsor (as well as any extra raised beyond the 50e threshold)

- doesnt include extra revenue from tshirt and virtual run option effectively means you get a medal in the post for not showing up. Funnily enough this medal is provided by a virtual run company run by the race organiser (which is not a charity organisation to the best of my knowledge.

Despite the good PR around the novelty cheque donation the maths on this really don't stack up in favour of the organisers.

What in the name of God is a virtual run? A donation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

skyblue46 wrote: »

Send your garmin pic/strava and get a medal. Basically buying a medal for a huge mark up without any of the overheads of the actual racing aspect.

Win win for race organisers. Pretty sure Disney have tapped in to this for a knock down price of 50 dollars :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Many many people run DCM for various causes so a lot of charities nationwide would benefit indirectly from most marathons.
    Group of my mates did it and raised 10 grand which was split between a local charity and Crumlin hospital.
    I think that is better than DCM having an official charity for the race.
    My local Athletic club had 20 volunteers at it so our club definitely benefit from it as well.
    I can imagine insurance from such an event is eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:

One of my biggest pet hates in the last year in particular. These are popping up all over the place. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When you think about it, the charity connection is a bit of a pox on our sport. Not one asks the GAA/rugby/soccer player, when he togs out for the parish/county/province/All-Ireland, ‘who he’s doing it for’. Despite the vast numbers (compared to running) who compete in these sports.

When people ask me who I’m running for, I say no one. When they ask about charity, I tell them I do far to many races/marathons to ask people to donate money, that I wouldn’t have the nerve to impose, and that anyway I prefer to donate privately myself. It usually ends the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Damn FOMO. Done in for another twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I reckon when or if I ever go back into the world of marathons. I'll just pick a decent one somewhere in Europe. I don't think I'd commit to signing up for one nearly a year out.

Seems like DCM are allowing transfers next year at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I'm in.feck it.Can not believe I have signed up nearly a year in advance.I remember,waiting until my last long run was done,before signing up a few years back.How times have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Seems like DCM are allowing transfers next year at least.

Where have they said they are allowing transfers? I’ve seen possibility of refunds but have not seen possibility of transfers in print!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sold out. That's fairly bonkers

Where have they said they are allowing transfers? I’ve seen possibility of refunds but have not seen possibility of transfers in print!

I'm almost sure I've seen it mentioned on one of the threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Can't believe it is sold out. I've been training ages for it. I didn't know it was going to sell out. etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Can't believe it is sold out. I've been training ages for it. I didn't know it was going to sell out. etc etc

To be fair probably give those folks a pass that missed the deadline this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

I have been fundraising and all

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I have been fundraising and all

Registered but don't know if I'll make it, runners are wore out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Henry42

Damn it. I was literally going to register this morning and got a message that it was sold out. I suppose I'll need to hope someone drops out who I can swap with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Henry42 wrote: »
    Damn it. I was literally going to register this morning and got a message that it was sold out. I suppose I'll need to hope someone drops out who I can swap with.

This must be a wind up? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Henry42

skyblue46 wrote: »
    This must be a wind up? :pac:

Why would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

Did anyone get a code from KBC yet? I signed up last Tuesday and the email verifying that would check if I was a customer. I have not heard from them since

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭dubal

thereality wrote: »
    Did anyone get a code from KBC yet? I signed up last Tuesday and the email verifying that would check if I was a customer. I have not heard from them since

KBC are doing discount codes, will be useless when its sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Still waiting for mine to come through. They said the codes will work even if the marathon sells out!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Irishder wrote: »
    Still waiting for mine to come through. They said the codes will work even if the marathon sells out!

Hi guys,

So I have registered, and am a KBC customer. Are you saying that you are registering and getting the discount retrospectively? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Murph_D wrote: »
    When you think about it, the charity connection is a bit of a pox on our sport.

I doubt the charities who benefit from all the fundraising through running events would see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Henry42 wrote: »
    Why would it be?

Would it be because you post in a four page, ten day old thread about the Dublin Marathon selling out very soon, minutes after it sold out?

Could it be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi guys,

So I have registered, and am a KBC customer. Are you saying that you are registering and getting the discount retrospectively? How?

No when they give the discount code you log in and pay then. I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Got burnt. Only have myself to blame. I hate the thought of running under someone else's name but it may have to be the way. It's hard to plan 11 months ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The discount is substantial (50 instead of 93) but is it worth it if it sells out any KBC don’t come through?

Really? So they upped the price to everyone just to offer KBC customers a discount.
    Kind if pi55ed off with KBC also have they really sold out or are they keeping places backnfir customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I went to RWC in 2015. I couldnt get to Cardiff for one of Irelands games. I popped back onto RWC2015 website. Stuck my ticket up for sale and 2 days later it was purchased by someone else. I got my money back, except the €3 processing fee. A new ticket was issued to the new buyer for a processing fee of €3 and the ticket price was paid back to my credit card

Simple. Its basic software these days. DCM should be able to offer a service in a window (August for example).

Advertisement