Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah, arc is hdmi arc
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIKcdjzHKo0
    �� HDMI ARC is the Coolest TV Feature You're Not Using (Here's How ...

Spdif is optical
    https://goo.gl/search/S/PDIF
    S/PDIF,

Can't make out the button on the right, what does it say

2.1 and 5.1 is number of channels, the .1 means the subwoofer

Thanks

Ok so the 1,2 and 3 buttons are the hdmi buttons in.

Spdif is the optical cable I have in.

I have the TV going into hdmi 1 and the shield into hdmi 2. Then one hdmi cable from switch to TV.Was trying to set up the buttons manually and esp the power button. So I could set up activities on the remote. Then came to this:
    https://cdn-cx-images.dynamite.myharmony.com/mh/ss/i/faq/mh-device-addprivate-pg4-v1.png

Choosing first option so activity was:
    TV on, Virgin box on, Switch power on, Hdmi 1 but could not get it to work so had to leave the power always on the switch.
    For second activity have:
    TV on, Hdmi2 , Shield and surround on.
    As power for switch always on both working.

However did not synch remote yet using cable so will need to try that and delete activities and try again and see if I can power switch off and on using activity.

For the spdif do I have to include that on the activity for the shield ? Don't want it for TV.

Also what would I use the 2.1 or 5.1 channels buttons for?

Not at home so don't know the other button and Arc I need to look and read more about but can it be used in activities?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thanks

Ok so the 1,2 and 3 buttons are the hdmi buttons in.

Spdif is the optical cable I have in.

I have the TV going into hdmi 1 and the shield into hdmi 2. Then one hdmi cable from switch to TV.Was trying to set up the buttons manually and esp the power button. So I could set up activities on the remote. Then came to this:
    https://cdn-cx-images.dynamite.myharmony.com/mh/ss/i/faq/mh-device-addprivate-pg4-v1.png

Choosing first option so activity was:
    TV on, Virgin box on, Switch power on, Hdmi 1 but could not get it to work so had to leave the power always on the switch.
    For second activity have:
    TV on, Hdmi2 , Shield and surround on.
    As power for switch always on both working.

However did not synch remote yet using cable so will need to try that and delete activities and try again and see if I can power switch off and on using activity.

For the spdif do I have to include that on the activity for the shield ? Don't want it for TV.

Also what would I use the 2.1 or 5.1 channels buttons for?

Not at home so don't know the other button and Arc I need to look and read more about but can it be used in activities?

Cheers

The switch must have the ability to downscale 5.1 to 2.1. You shouldn't need this in an activity, just leave it at 5.1. You will probably need to map ARC and Spdif to two different activities like you were doing before. I have the power on mine set to always on, never turn off so it's not used.

The switch must have the ability to downscale 5.1 to 2.1. You shouldn't need this in an activity, just leave it at 5.1. You will probably need to map ARC and Spdif to two different activities like you were doing before. I have the power on mine set to always on, never turn off so it's not used.

Cheers

For the TV activity I don't want the sound to come from the Amp want it just from TV so activity set to not turn Amp on. For the shield I do

Should I use the Arc port from TV to switch ?

So TV activity should be below to just use sound from TV?

TV, Virgin box, Hdmi 1

And for shield should use the below to use sound from Amp?

TV, Hdmi 2, Shield, Amp

Still trying to figure out activities especially when it comes to where I want to sound for each activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Don't upgrade your hub if you are using any local smart home controls (e.g. home-assistant)

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/a6u6ep/psa_harmony_hub_firmware_v415206_breaksremoves/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

matrim wrote: »
    Don't upgrade your hub if you are using any local smart home controls (e.g. home-assistant)

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/a6u6ep/psa_harmony_hub_firmware_v415206_breaksremoves/

Mine hasn't worked with Alexa for weeks, it's basically just an ornament gathering dust now.
    I'm guessing this is what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭jones

matrim wrote: »

I dont get how this effects the end user? So local smart controls (google home commands) now run through Logitech/Google servers? Wasnt this part of the update that meant you wouldnt have to say "hey google *ask harmony* xxxx"

What changes with this update?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

jones wrote: »
    I dont get how this effects the end user? So local smart controls (google home commands) now run through Logitech/Google servers? Wasnt this part of the update that meant you wouldnt have to say "hey google *ask harmony* xxxx"

What changes with this update?

I don't think this should affect google home or alexa (but I could be wrong as I don't have one). It's more so if you used a locally run home automation server to control your hub it will no longer work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads does this remote control the virgin media box?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes, it supports pretty much all, it has IR and Bluetooth and WiFi if you have a hub

Yes, it supports pretty much all, it has IR and Bluetooth and WiFi if you have a hub

Cheers, also any idea if it would make my smart TV chromecastable with a Google home?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've the next model down and it's not much use with the VM box for some stuff due to the limitations of the Horizon so presumably this would be the same. It can change channels and do volume, etc ok but where it falls down is that the Horizon doesn't have an On/Off state it can only toggle power from whatever state it was in.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've the next model down and it's not much use with the VM box for some stuff due to the limitations of the Horizon so presumably this would be the same. It can change channels and do volume, etc ok but where it falls down is that the Horizon doesn't have an On/Off state it can only toggle power from whatever state it was in.

With devices like that I just leave the power state to always on and turn off everything else

Ok, I've bit the bullet on this, hopefully it works out or i'll be sending it back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Have activity set up to turn on tv, shield, switcher to hdmi 2 and spdif on. I mapped the hdmi 1,2 & 3 buttons to harmony remote that's ok. However i mapped spdif also and have this as activity but when i go to TV settings sound still set to TV and not amp?

Optical cable going from amp to switcher and hdmi from switcher to TV.

Deleted activity and tried again but no option to choose amp as sound and not tv.

When I manually change sound source to audio out optical then there is no sound. Yet when optical cable plugged directly into the TV i did previously?

Sound is low with TV speakers and set up as pro logic option on amp.

To late to try mess around with it.

So any suggestions on what is correct set up to get sound to come from amp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

so you don't want sound from the amp for tv. only for shield. that right?

if you had sound from the amp before when it was connected to the tv via SPDOF, why now connect it to the switch instead? run the tv and shield to the hdmi switch, run a hdmi from that to your tv, and then optical out to your amp. does that now work?

other option is tv/shield to switch, hdmi to tv from switch, spdif to amp from switch. when you want tv, switch to that hdmi input , for the shield when you switch to that input you may have to hit the 5.1 button, i don't think the switch is downconverting the audio i think it's changing edid settings to make the source send different audio formats

one piece of advice, ignore the harmony to begin, get it all working with the remotes that came with the units. figure out the commands that are needed, then program the harmony. Will make it a lot easier than trying to figure out if the issue is with the harmony or a setup issue which the harmony will not solve)

mossym wrote: »
    so you don't want sound from the amp for tv. only for shield. that right?

if you had sound from the amp before when it was connected to the tv via SPDOF, why now connect it to the switch instead? run the tv and shield to the hdmi switch, run a hdmi from that to your tv, and then optical out to your amp. does that now work?

other option is tv/shield to switch, hdmi to tv from switch, spdif to amp from switch. when you want tv, switch to that hdmi input , for the shield when you switch to that input you may have to hit the 5.1 button, i don't think the switch is downconverting the audio i think it's changing edid settings to make the source send different audio formats

one piece of advice, ignore the harmony to begin, get it all working with the remotes that came with the units. figure out the commands that are needed, then program the harmony. Will make it a lot easier than trying to figure out if the issue is with the harmony or a setup issue which the harmony will not solve)

Thanks

Yes Just want to use the sound from the AMP when using the Shield for the moment. If any football on TV then I might want to use it for TV

I bought a switch based on post from the high horse brigade. Previously I had the Optical cable going from Amp directly into TV this is when it worked. I now have this plugged into the switch as no hdmi ports on amp

This is the Remote that comes with the Switch

https://imgur.com/S51OmCF

So you have the 1,2, 3 buttons for each hdmi ports and the ARC, and SPDIF buttons (button on second row not sure of) and last row 2 ch and 5.1 ch. I have mapped the hdmi button and SPDIF button to harmony. I did this manually

So the settings for each activity is

TV on, Virgin box on, Switch box on, TV(HDMI 1), Hdmi Switcher (Hdmi1)

On this I get sound from the TV and no issues here for the Shield I have the below activity

TV on, Hdmi switcher on, Shield on, Amp on, TV(HDMI1), HDMI Switcher(Hdmi2), Hdmi Switcher(Spdif)

So do I have to map the 5.1 button on original remote and include this on the activity for the shield?

Not the best remote that came with the switcher was trying to figure out it when I got it but gave up and thus mapped in and then tried to figure it out

The optical on the TV was only passing stereo to the app, may not have a Dolby licence. I have the same issue with my LG TV. Cheap fcukers LG saved the cost of the licence. With a hdmi switch they will get 5.1 split out over optical.

Btw, if your amp is ever showing Pro Logic, it means it's only receiving 2.0 stereo and the amp itself is upscaling that 2.0 to 5.1 (not great). You really want proper passthrough where the full audio is passed to the amp or downscaled from a modern format (DTS+ or DTS HD) to AC3 that your amp supports

The optical on the TV was only passing stereo to the app, may not have a Dolby licence. I have the same issue with my LG TV. Cheap fcukers LG saved the cost of the licence. With a hdmi switch they will get 5.1 split out over optical.

Btw, if your amp is ever showing Pro Logic, it means it's only receiving 2.0 stereo and the amp itself is upscaling that 2.0 to 5.1 (not great). You really want proper passthrough where the full audio is passed to the amp or downscaled from a modern format (DTS+ or DTS HD) to AC3 that your amp supports

Thanks

So what are my options ?

Not at home now so don’t know the model no of TV but it’s a Samsung 4k TV

The amp has different selections model is a yamaha rx-v359 so good few years old

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-6540-discontinued-yamaha-rxv359-home-cinema-receiver.aspx

So do I use the 5.1 option and map this to the Harmony and then add this step to the activity?

Thanks

So what are my options ?

Not at home now so don’t know the model no of TV but it’s a Samsung 4k TV

The amp has different selections model is a yamaha rx-v359 so good few years old

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-6540-discontinued-yamaha-rxv359-home-cinema-receiver.aspx

So do I use the 5.1 option and map this to the Harmony and then add this step to the activity?

Yes, but get it figured out without the harmony first as it only complicates things.

You also have the option of assigning buttons to the touchscreen when an activity is running. I have a power toggle of my surround receiver on the touchscreen in all my activities as the very odd time it doesn't turn on, makes it easier for the missus.

Yes, but get it figured out without the harmony first as it only complicates things.

You also have the option of assigning buttons to the touchscreen when an activity is running. I have a power toggle of my surround receiver on the touchscreen in all my activities as the very odd time it doesn't turn on, makes it easier for the missus.

Cheers.

I will try to map it later.

Switcher is behind the TV so will see if I can use the remote that came with it to try it out first.

Missues just wants the tv to come on with sound when a button is pressed no interest in surround etc. and with all the messing around I have done she nearly is throwing the remote out the window. No interest in the shield yet but may later when she wants to watch sports or a film and Amp behind TV so it can be turned on the old fashion way………

That’s for another day:;)

• Advertisement

Yeah I've a feeling you've taken on too much at once. Just get it working with the TV for now you can tweak your setup later now you have the hardware

older tv's almost definitely passing stereo as you say as the audio processors were stereo only. more recent tv's though at least some of them are outputting multichannel(and not just for internal sources like tuner/netflix)

older tv's almost definitely passing stereo as you say as the audio processors were stereo only. more recent tv's though at least some of them are outputting multichannel(and not just for internal sources like tuner/netflix)

Over Arc HDMI yes, not over optical. Optical has pretty much been made obsolete as it doesn't support the modern formats most things use today. Netflix uses Dolby Plus, that won't work over optical.

Over Arc HDMI yes, not over optical. Optical has pretty much been made obsolete as it doesn't support the modern formats most things use today. Netflix uses Dolby Plus, that won't work over optical.

yes, but his amp only has optical so sending it plus won't work in the first place. sending it over hdmi to that cheap switch via arc won;t work either, it still has to go via optical to the amp ( and i'd wager all that switch is doing is changing edid settings to change audio stream, not downconverting)

if his tv has optical out (which he says it does) and it outputs standard multichannel (as some newer tv's do) then i'd trust that more than a cheap chinese switch. if it doesn't output multichannel then try the switch, but having used dozens of cheap switches over years they cause as many problems as they solve.

anyway, this is no longer anything to do with a harmony, so gunner i'd suggest if you need further help open a thread in the HE forum. i'm not going to risk the wrath of those interested in harmony remotes any more :)

yes, but his amp only has optical so sending it plus won't work in the first place. sending it over hdmi to that cheap switch via arc won;t work either, it still has to go via optical to the amp ( and i'd wager all that switch is doing is changing edid settings to change audio stream, not downconverting)

if his tv has optical out (which he says it does) and it outputs standard multichannel (as some newer tv's do) then i'd trust that more than a cheap chinese switch. if it doesn't output multichannel then try the switch, but having used dozens of cheap switches over years they cause as many problems as they solve.

anyway, this is no longer anything to do with a harmony, so gunner i'd suggest if you need further help open a thread in the HE forum. i'm not going to risk the wrath of those interested in harmony remotes any more :)

Not much you can do to get surround on Netflix but plenty of apps like Kodi and Emby on the Shield have advanced passthrough options to downscale modern formats to AC3 to send over optical. Leave the Shield set at 2.0 and it will send Netflix in stereo.

So was it a waste getting the HDMI switch?

What I had previously was the optical going from the TV to the amp and also hdmi from Shield to Amp and TV to Virgin box

Then I had problems with sound so posted on the nvidia topic

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823443&page=92

So got the Switcher to see if this would work

I am trying to reset password for the HE forum see if anyone can assist there and debating if to return the switcher or not?. I don’t have Netflix and just use Stbemu and Various apps and just want surround sound via Amp and Speakers that I have

Tv sound I have no issue with but all I want is speaker sounds from Shield

Nah not a waste on the switch, as thhb said it should work, my approach was to change the littlest and go from something that was working. You'll get it setup once you figure it out.

Getting surround is going to be on a per app basis as your receiver is connected by optical.

I'd be doubtful you'll get surround from STBEmu, I get 2.0.stereo output on mine which my surround receiver upscales to Pro Logic but that could just be my provider. Other providers could output AC3 on some channels, movies etc

Your Virgin box should output AC3 on the channels that have it, my Tiviar does. My receiver changes from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital when I change to a channel that supports it.

Getting surround is going to be on a per app basis as your receiver is connected by optical.

I'd be doubtful you'll get surround from STBEmu, I get 2.0.stereo output on mine which my surround receiver upscales to Pro Logic but that could just be my provider. Other providers could output AC3 on some channels, movies etc

Your Virgin box should output AC3 on the channels that have it, my Tiviar does. My receiver changes from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital when I change to a channel that supports it.

Thanks

So map the buttons for the 2.1 and the 5.1 to the Logitech remote and assign buttons to turn these on and off as one may work with one app and other for other apps?

Can try it out using original remote also

Anything that I need to change on the AMP or keep it at Pro Logic?

Had a Minix box before Shield and had no Switcher and no issues with Surround sound and had activities set up on this

Cheers

Going to be a trial and error test

• Advertisement

Thanks

So map the buttons for the 2.1 and the 5.1 to the Logitech remote and assign buttons to turn these on and off as one may work with one app and other for other apps?

Can try it out using original remote also

Anything that I need to change on the AMP or keep it at Pro Logic?

Had a Minix box before Shield and had no Switcher and no issues with Surround sound and had activities set up on this

Cheers

Going to be a trial and error test

You're going to need to trial and error. I'm not sure about the 2.1 and 5.1 buttons, do they even do anything? I'd map them as touchscreen buttons so you can select them when an activity is running. Anyway you probably want the Shield controlling audio passthrough, not the hdmi switch. I don't have these options on mine.

You're best to figure things out first without the Harmony. Once you know the best settings it's easy to configure the Harmony to suit.

Advertisement