Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

THE ALM wrote: »
    Looking forward to receiving mine, hopefully tomorrow. Similar to yourself I have an enigma2 combi box which is listed as working with the remote so will be interested on seeing how adding favourites will work.

Also have a rpi3 which I added an ir sensor to and programmed with the cheap multi remote I have and lirc, will be interesting to see how this works. Can always learn with the existing remote I'd imagine.

May i ask how/what you are doing to access the different bouquets on your enigma2 box from the remote?

My bouquets are Saorview for the Irish stuff, Entertainment, movies, news for the stuff i get through the dish from Freesat. I've a 'shortcut' on the remote for the Saorview and Entertainment bouquets and got tired of setting up after that.

If you know of a better approach, I'm all ears.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Personally, I just created a favourites boutique, with all the English language channels on it, both Saorview and FTA sat.

I only added a few of the channels to the Harmony remote, the most frequently watched ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Past few days the response time for the Harmony hub and remote very slow

Have activity set up to turn on and off the tv and takes ages for TV to come on? Also have skill set up with Alexa to turn on and off tv and change stations and again slow response times

Anything I can check to see what could be slowing it down as don't want to go through process or deleting and setting it up again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Past few days the response time for the Harmony hub and remote very slow

Have activity set up to turn on and off the tv and takes ages for TV to come on? Also have skill set up with Alexa to turn on and off tv and change stations and again slow response times

Anything I can check to see what could be slowing it down as don't want to go through process or deleting and setting it up again:mad:

First thing i would do is turn on and off your router and also turn the hub power on and off and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

May i ask how/what you are doing to access the different bouquets on your enigma2 box from the remote?

My bouquets are Saorview for the Irish stuff, Entertainment, movies, news for the stuff i get through the dish from Freesat. I've a 'shortcut' on the remote for the Saorview and Entertainment bouquets and got tired of setting up after that.

If you know of a better approach, I'm all ears.

Like bk I just have a favourites bouquet with a mix of the regularly watched freesat and saorview channels and have added these as favourites to harmony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

THE ALM wrote: »
    Like bk I just have a favourites bouquet with a mix of the regularly watched freesat and saorview channels and have added these as favourites to harmony.

This is what I have at the moment but I'm strongly considering changing my satellite box from a combo (which needs continuous attention to keep channels in order) to a Freesat box which would mean I would switching back to the TV itself for Saorview. Anyone know if there is a way to mix the harmony favourites from two different sources, Saorview from TV and BBCs etc from Freesat box

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is what I have at the moment but I'm strongly considering changing my satellite box from a combo (which needs continuous attention to keep channels in order) to a Freesat box which would mean I would switching back to the TV itself for Saorview. Anyone know if there is a way to mix the harmony favourites from two different sources, Saorview from TV and BBCs etc from Freesat box

Switching to a Freesat box at the moment is probably not a good idea. Channel 4HD and All4 left Freesat last month. They are still on FTA.

But I totally get the annoyance of having to keep channels updated.

bk wrote: »
    Switching to a Freesat box at the moment is probably not a good idea. Channel 4HD and All4 left Freesat last month. They are still on FTA.

But I totally get the annoyance of having to keep channels updated.

Hmm. Didn't realise that. Might just buy a better combo. What I have is an Amiko Alien 2 ruining enigma which is self updating with autobouquets but still needs a little attention every few weeks. My main issue with the Amiko is that it's very sluggish with Saorview

Hmm. Didn't realise that. Might just buy a better combo. What I have is an Amiko Alien 2 ruining enigma which is self updating with autobouquets but still needs a little attention every few weeks. My main issue with the Amiko is that it's very sluggish with Saorview

I'm in actually the same spot!! I've the AA2 too, but not happy with it's reliability either. *

Based on feedback over on the Satellite forum, I'm probably going to buy a Tiviar alpha plus in a few days to replace the AA2. Seemingly it has a much faster processor and more RAM, etc. so much smoother and more reliable. I'll let you know how it goes if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone else having issues with their harmony hub and the Hue bridge?

The Hue part of my activities stopped working a few days ago. Like when I press Watch Apple TV everything is powered on and switched to Apple TV and the Hue lights dim to a low purple colour. Now they dont change at all.

Ive had a look at the app and also the desktop app for the Harmony and they have disappeared from my activities and cant be re-added.

On further inspection Ive noticed that although the Hue Hub is listed in devices it has an icon beside it and says that although its on the wifi network Harmony cant control it!!

Ive tried re-syncing, Ive deleted it from Harmony and then re-added it(with difficulty)Ive powered off the harmony Hub, moved it beside the Hue bridge, Ive rebooted my router but I still have it showing as not being able to control it.

Anyone any ideas? Ive spent the last 90 minutes fiddling around and have gotten nowhere. The Logitech software is soo frustrating and clunky to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Alexa cant find Harmony for the last two days . Tried everything , rebooted router,hub alexa . She can find the scenes for harmony but not the actual device ....

Any ideas what I'm missing ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just wondering how the harmony manages switching sources? My Samsung TV has a single button for selecting sources and I can't seem to find any discrete IR codes for each source on the net. Am I right in thinking that as a work around the harmony switches off the TV every time a change in source is needed which would be right PITA given the amount of time this would take. As a better workaround I was thinking of picking up a HDMI splitter and learning it's IR codes with the Harmony - has anyone tried this?

digitaldr wrote: »
    Just wondering how the harmony manages switching sources? My Samsung TV has a single button for selecting sources and I can't seem to find any discrete IR codes for each source on the net. Am I right in thinking rhat as a work around the harmony switches of the TV every time a change in source is needed which would be right PITA given the amount of time this would take. As a better workaround I was thinking of picking up a HDMI splitter and learning it's IR codes with the Harmony - has anyone tried this?

Yes, this is how I switch sources. I had to use the learn function of the harmony remote to learn the 4 hdmi sources of the hdmi switch remote. It works well, the TV remains on the same source. My hdmi switch also has optical audio which I use with a Logitech z5500 surround system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Yes, this is how I switch sources. I had to use the learn function of the harmony remote to learn the 4 hdmi sources of the hdmi switch remote. It works well, the TV remains on the same source. My hdmi switch also has optical audio which I use with a Logitech z5500 surround system.

I've the z906, some bang off it. One of my top 3 impulse buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just wondering how the harmony manages switching sources? My Samsung TV has a single button for selecting sources and I can't seem to find any discrete IR codes for each source on the net. Am I right in thinking that as a work around the harmony switches off the TV every time a change in source is needed which would be right PITA given the amount of time this would take. As a better workaround I was thinking of picking up a HDMI splitter and learning it's IR codes with the Harmony - has anyone tried this?

Can't you assign one of the spare button as a specific source and use it in a sequence of activity?

I guess that depends on how the tv is designed to switch inputs, though.

Edit: Regarding Samsung having only one button on the original remote, when you go into the devices mode on your remote there is a list of inputs available that I believe can be used in solution above. Let me know if it works, I could try to do it as an exercise. I use an AV receiver, and use similar stream of commands in my activities where each one does change the input on the receiver.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one of these as I'm thinking the elite would be a better albeit more expensive option. How annoying is it to have the video playback controls above the touchscreen? These would probably be my most used buttons - can't understand why they put them there. Would especially annoy the other half!

Is the touchscreen as sluggish as some of the reviews suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one of these as I'm thinking the elite would be a better albeit more expensive option. How annoying is it to have the video playback controls above the touchscreen? These would probably be my most used buttons - can't understand why they put them there. Would especially annoy the other half!

I find it OK, it's easy to adjust to the button placement. I don't find the touchscreen sluggish at all really.

I've both the Elite and the Ultimate.

The Ultimate works fine, but if you can stretch, the Elite is a far better designed and laid out remote and also feels more premium.

I had the ultimate first and it was fine, but when I got the Elite it was a real joy and I happily relegated the Ultimate to the rarely used bedroom.

On paper they are much the same, but in person the Elite is a big step up. It is hard to explain without using both.

BTW I think they designed the Ultimate like that because they thought touch screens were the future, thus they put it in the middle as you'd use it lots. In reality touch screens are poor for remotes, physical buttons rule and you actually don't use the touchscreen on these remotes beyond the initial "activity" selection and odd advanced setting. The Elite recognised this mistake and corrected.

The best way I can explain the difference is they created the Ultimate, it is a good product, but has a bunch of cons. The Elite feels like the engineers took those cons as a todo list and fixed each and every one of them with the Elite.

bk wrote: »

BTW I think they designed the Ultimate like that because they thought touch screens were the future, thus they put it in the middle as you'd use it lots. In reality touch screens are poor for remotes, physical buttons rule and you actually don't use the touchscreen on these remotes beyond the initial "activity" selection and odd advanced setting. The Elite recognised this mistake and corrected.

I'd say you're spot on there. I googled alternatives to logitech harmony and found this. Very sleek looking industrial design but too touch screencentric and I get the impression form their own support forums that the software is very much still in Beta.

I'll probably go with an Elite on Amazon warehouse deals - my only concern would be that the battery might be a bit knackered but hopefully I'll get one that was returned after a couple of weeks.

I'd say you're spot on there. I googled alternatives to logitech harmony and found this. Very sleek looking industrial design but too touch screencentric and I get the impression form their own support forums that the software is very much still in Beta.

Yes, Logitech previously had an all screen tablet and they also tried just a phone app + hub, but neither of them really worked out.

Physical buttons for the most common functions, easy to identify in the dark, turned out to be more useful for day to day use.
    I'll probably go with an Elite on Amazon warehouse deals - my only concern would be that the battery might be a bit knackered but hopefully I'll get one that was returned after a couple of weeks.

If you aren't in a rush, it gets reduced on Amazon every few months, during sales or deal of the day. Also 20% off warehouse during those sales. Use camelcamecamel to track it's price and get an alert when reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Strange problem the last two days with my Ultimate. There is a serious delay from when I do something on the remote/app to the light on the hub blinking and the command working.

If I press mute on the remote it can take up to four seconds for the hub to blink and another two/three seconds for the Soundbar to mute.

Similar to pause TV on Sky. Four to five seconds for the hub to blink and three to four seconds after that for sky to pause.

Hub hasn't been moved and nothing new that could block the signal so not sure what's going on.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mine is doing the same, can be 30 seconds on a switch on before something happens. Massive delay.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Strange problem the last two days with my Ultimate. There is a serious delay from when I do something on the remote/app to the light on the hub blinking and the command working.

If I press mute on the remote it can take up to four seconds for the hub to blink and another two/three seconds for the Soundbar to mute.

Similar to pause TV on Sky. Four to five seconds for the hub to blink and three to four seconds after that for sky to pause.

Hub hasn't been moved and nothing new that could block the signal so not sure what's going on.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

I'm getting exactly this with both my harmony remotes. It's the latest update. Sync the remote fixes it but I synced last night and the sluggishness returned today. I'm going to downgrade firmware tomorrow if it's sluggish again

I'm getting exactly this with both my harmony remotes. It's the latest update. Sync the remote fixes it but I synced last night and the sluggishness returned today. I'm going to downgrade firmware tomorrow if it's sluggish again

Yea I synced last night and it was fine this morning but really sluggish again tonight.

Edit: just checked Twitter and there's so many people complaining. Hopefully a fix will be out soon. Back to normal remotes until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Major pain! Had to dig out old my old remotes... after an hour of watching a movie on my Apple TV the remote decided to start slowly sending all the commands I had been inputting so every minute or so my tv would change source, turn off, boot me from Amazon Prime. Had to unplug the hub
    Got an “I told you so” from the wife who’s never quite bought into the universal remote solution

I've had harmony remotes for over 15 years, since before harmony bought them and they were a separate company, and never had an issue like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi all

Same delay issue over the weekend,pulled power cable to hub and reconnected and then synced remote,all good since

Hi all

Same delay issue over the weekend,pulled power cable to hub and reconnected and then synced remote,all good since

I did the same but the delay appeared again after a few hours.

yeah a reboot fixes it, but then it comes back after a few hours

another symptom, on the phone app instead of going directly into the activities screen it now comes up searching for hubs and ou have to click the hub to connect to it

• Advertisement

Both mine have been fine since I rebooted and synced

Advertisement