Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Cheers bk.
    bk wrote: »
    Only downside is when you are out and get a text from your better half asking you to change the channel as she can't find the remote!!!

I can definitely see this happening for me too!

I ordered one from Amazon.co.uk lastnight, it worked out as €168 including delivery. Amazon.de had it for €156 (plus delivery) but didn't deliver to Ireland or the UK...it was too late/I was too lazy to try registering with Address Pal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

The remote arrived on Saturday but I only got to spend some time playing around with it last night; it's excellent and very easy to setup. I was impressed with how simple it was to add devices and, once synced, how they then worked intuitively with the basic initial remote config. Connecting to my Nest Thermo was a little problematic, despite being logged into my account, but it eventually worked on something like the 10th attempt, Hue connected first time.
    I already had the ability to turn on all of my home cinema devices via "xbox on" (plus the ability to change channels with voice etc) but it makes it easier for my wife and others to now do the same via the remote, plus my controller batteries will last longer now as it won't be left powered on for long periods by the wife anymore! The IOS app is pretty nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I'm happy with my £65 Harmony Ultimate with Hub (I posted the price drop on here, but it only lasted a few hours)

Having a similar issue to a poster a few pages back..
    I like to use different audio outputs for different activities (TV speaker for Watch TV, Stereo system for Watch Movie)..

The problem is switching between the two, I can't figure how to have Harmony change the TV's audio output settings when switching activities.
    I end up having to do it manually.
    That would be ok, but to do this, I have to take the remote out of the activity setting back to the TV setting, which is hassle..

From an earlier post, I managed to assign the TV button which allows the TV change audio output menu to activate while in the Watch Movie activity, but pressing it just brings up that menu - because the remote is still in the activity setting, controlling Kodi and not the TV, I can see, but can't actually select the audio output!

Hope that makes sense, and someone can advise how I sort it..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UsedToWait, well first of all, when setting up each activity you can select which device is used to control the audio, so you shouldn't need to leave the activity to control the volume, for instance:

- On Watch TV Activity, you set the audio input to be the TV speakers and thus when you press the volume buttons on this activity, the volume will increase on the TV's speaker

- On the Watch Movie Activity, you then set the audio input to be your stereo, thus when in this activity, pressing the volume buttons increases the volume on your stereo

When in the "Movie" activity, you really shouldn't need to be adjusting the TV's volume, why would you, nothing should be coming out of it, the only sound should be coming out of the stereos speakers.

If you do want to adjust the TV's volume while in the "movie" activity, don't switch to the TV activity, instead switch to the devices menu (on your remote, press the menu button on the lower right hand corner of the screen, three lines, and then click on Devices in the menu that comes up) and from their select the TV from devices, your remote will now switch to acting like a TV remote and pressing the volume buttons will change the volume of the TV speakers, rather then the stereo. Once you are finished adjusting it, just exit that menu and your remote returns to the Movies Activity setting.

BTW if you want, under advanced settings (you probably need to use the desktop app for this on PC/Mac), you could set long press on the volume buttons to change the volume of the TV speaker while still in the Movies activity, while short press on the same buttons would control the speakers volume.

But again I'm not sure if any of this should be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'm happy with my £65 Harmony Ultimate with Hub (I posted the price drop on here, but it only lasted a few hours)

Having a similar issue to a poster a few pages back..
    I like to use different audio outputs for different activities (TV speaker for Watch TV, Stereo system for Watch Movie)..

The problem is switching between the two, I can't figure how to have Harmony change the TV's audio output settings when switching activities.
    I end up having to do it manually.
    That would be ok, but to do this, I have to take the remote out of the activity setting back to the TV setting, which is hassle..

From an earlier post, I managed to assign the TV button which allows the TV change audio output menu to activate while in the Watch Movie activity, but pressing it just brings up that menu - because the remote is still in the activity setting, controlling Kodi and not the TV, I can see, but can't actually select the audio output!

Hope that makes sense, and someone can advise how I sort it..

You should be able to edit the audio output device with the settings for each particular activity within the app,when I say app I do it through the laptop ,however it may depend on how your audio out is controlled i.e optical /phono etc. as I have mine going through an AV receiver
    You may have ARC settings to change too
    You may want to describe your set up to get a better answer

• Advertisement

Thanks folks - I think I'm having difficulty describing the problem, but will try to be clearer..

@bk:
    Yes, I have each activity controlling the relevant device's volume
    - when I'm in Watch TV, the Harmony controls the TV volume
    - when I'm in Watch Movie, the Harmony controls the Stereo system volume

The issue is, when switching between activities, I haven't been able to tell Harmony to switch the TV's Audio Output setting from Internal TV Speaker to Line Out

@clintondaly
    I was thinking that there might be something on the desktop software that would help me sort this.
    Unfortunately, I'm in Ubuntu, and the software only runs on PC/Mac (tried under WINE and it doesn't work)

As I said, I was able to map the Audio Source selection on the TV to a button on the remote in the Watch Movie activity.
    However, all this does is bring up the menu, and doesn't let me move left and right to switch between devices - perhaps I could also map the Left and Right buttons also?

The way I have the TV connected to the stereo is via Line Out on my TV to the VCR In on my Stereo..
    I do want to be able to use the Stereo in place of the TV speakers for apps like Spotify and Netflix, so that's why I didn't just connect the HTPC directly to the Stereo

In Kodi, the audio is set to go out via the TV..

Hope that's a bit clearer - in fact, it has given me an idea, which I might try - I might be able to send the audio out from Kodi directly to the stereo via another lead directly from the HTPC to the Stereo, and that should sort it - will try that now...

EDIT:
    Ah I got it sorted, both ways actually..
    - was able to connect HTPC to another input on the stereo and set Kodi audio out via HTPC, rather than TV
    That left an unsightly cable, so went back and assigned more buttons to control the TV while in Watch Movie activity (needed down, left and exit as well as menu), and all is good :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The issue is, when switching between activities, I haven't been able to tell Harmony to switch the TV's Audio Output setting from Internal TV Speaker to Line Out

Ah right, I got you now.

So the desktop software is a lot more powerful and would likely allow you to do this. It has an option where you can add extra steps when you start and end an activity.

So I suspect you can add a step to change the TV's output when you start the Movie activity, and switch it back when you return to the TV activity.

I know you say below that you are running Linux, but perhaps you could borrow a windows laptop from a family or friend to set it up. You would only need it for this initial setup, you wouldn't need the icky windows laptop beyond that ;)

As I said, I was able to map the Audio Source selection on the TV to a button on the remote in the Watch Movie activity.
    However, all this does is bring up the menu, and doesn't let me move left and right to switch between devices - perhaps I could also map the Left and Right buttons also?

Yes you could, each button on the harmony remote can be programmed for two actions, short press and long press. So you could set short press on the direction buttons to control the stereo and long press for the TV or what ever makes sense for your setup.

You could also add the TV left, right buttons to the touch screen up above.

Both of these options are things I do with my activities. Though I'm not sure if all are available on the mobile app, you need the desktop software for a lot of the more advanced options unfortunately.

However I'd say you could avoid all this trouble by adding the start up steps like I mention above.

^ Thanks a mill bk..
    Per my edit above, managed a workaround mapping extra buttons via the app..
    I'm sure, as you say, there's probably a more elegant solution via the PC software, but I'm happy enough for now :)

BTW You can now control Harmony Hub with Google Home, similar to how it works Alexa.

In other to set it up, you need to find Harmony under Services in the Google Home app.

Once setup you can give it commands like:
    "Hey Google, Ask Harmony to turn on the TV"
    "Hey Google, Ask Harmony to increase the volume"
    "Hey Google, Ask Harmony to change to channel 70"

BTW You can now control Harmony Hub with Google Home, similar to how it works Alexa.

In other to set it up, you need to find Harmony under Services in the Google Home app.

Once setup you can give it commands like:
    "Hey Google, Ask Harmony to turn on the TV"
    "Hey Google, Ask Harmony to increase the volume"
    "Hey Google, Ask Harmony to change to channel 70"

I know it's Luddite, and I'm being churlish (like, it's already clear the capabilities the powers-that-be have via your Samsung TV, and whatever else we know and don't know about the use of our data / the end of privacy), but I'm reluctant to invite Alexa or Mr G into my home...

I know this is the wrong forum for such a viewpoint, and certainly the wrong thread, but was just wondering on you guys who have gone full 'never have to lift a finger' - what's your thinking on the subject?

(Mods, feel free to move / delete, but I ask the question genuinely, and not trollishly)

• Advertisement

I know this is the wrong forum for such a viewpoint, and certainly the wrong thread, but was just wondering on you guys who have gone full 'never have to lift a finger' - what's your thinking on the subject?

(Mods, feel free to move / delete, but I ask the question genuinely, and not trollishly)

Not at all, it is a good question and has been asked before.

My opinion is that if you have a smart phone in your pocket, it is already too late.

Think about it, your smart phone has multiple microphones, two cameras, GPS and access to all your phone calls, texts, emails and social media and is pretty much with you all the time.

By comparison GHome and Alexa have access to far less of your private data.

So unless you are willing to throw your smartphone in the bin, then I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Not at all, it is a good question and has been asked before.

My opinion is that if you have a smart phone in your pocket, it is already too late.

Think about it, your smart phone has multiple microphones, two cameras, GPS and access to all your phone calls, texts, emails and social media and is pretty much with you all the time.

By comparison GHome and Alexa have access to far less of your private data.

So unless you are willing to throw your smartphone in the bin, then I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Absolutely true.
    That's why I couched my reluctance in such parentheses..
    The hesitance is still there in spite of the knowledge..
    Is it from reading 1984?
    Possibly.
    Is it from hating Star Trek as a kid?
    Almost certainly. :)

Is it from hating Star Trek as a kid?
    Almost certainly. :)

Haha, my love for Star Trek as a kid is probably why I like this stuff so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

So I've got my Harmony and trying to link it with Alexa.
    Go into the Alexa app and press "enable Harmony" and then it says "link account" which I press and then this just brings up a blank screen. :confused:
    Have disabled it again, closed the app and re-opened etc but it's still the same.

Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Possibly something wrong on the Logitech side of things at the moment while my remote etc. is working it has requested to perform a software update half a dozen times over the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Possibly something wrong on the Logitech side of things at the moment while my remote etc. is working it has requested to perform a software update half a dozen times over the last few days

I got the firmware update message on my Elite remote also, I don't think there is any server side problem.
    It does not update wirelessly, it must be plugged into a computer via USB and the update done through the desktop app.
    The message was quite persistent on the device until I did the update so sounds like that's what you're getting too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It does not update wirelessly, it must be plugged into a computer via USB and the update done through the desktop app.
    ?

Mine updated wirelessly last night. Message on the remote, Clic start, hub updated, then asked to put the remote into the charging cradle and it updated. 5 mins total.

Definitely no need for desktop app or hooking to a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

mossym wrote: »
    Mine updated wirelessly last night. Message on the remote, Clic start, hub updated, then asked to put the remote into the charging cradle and it updated. 5 mins total.

Definitely no need for desktop app or hooking to a pc

Cool, perhaps a different update I got so and not related to the other user's issue.

I think my problem trying to link my account maybe a DNS issue.
    will have a look again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Yea, it's supposed to update via wireless, but is not a smooth process - at least for me.

I had to go into the app on my phone and press sync with myharmony...then it updated.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I think my problem trying to link my account maybe a DNS issue.
    will have a look again tonight.

So not a DNS issue. Still just getting a blank page in the Alexa app when trying to link my account in the Harmony skill.

I'm flummoxed. Anyone any ideas?

Got it sorted. Looks like it was pop ups being blocked that was causing the problem. Had to go onto the website version to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like the plug is being pulled on the link hub

completely differnt to the hub we are using now though. its 7 years old

Harmony are replacing all the old hubs they made obsolete this week with the latest hubs for free

https://www.wired.com/story/logitech-giving-harmony-link-owners-a-free-harmony-hub/

mossym wrote: »
    Harmony are replacing all the old hubs they made obsolete this week with the latest hubs for free

https://www.wired.com/story/logitech-giving-harmony-link-owners-a-free-harmony-hub/

Even though it didn't effect me, I'm very glad to hear that. Makes me think they will be more careful about these sort of things in future, which is good as I've a Logitech Ultimate, Elite and Circle and I'd be slow to continue to invest in them otherwise.

They seem to have handled it much better then Canary anyway.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Blue skill now available for Alexa .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

sharkman wrote: »

Is that just available in UK now? I have it already but I think I have mine set to US region.

Any advantage in going back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

sharkman wrote: »

Am I missing something here I've been using the blue skill since March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

With regard to the Harmony Ultimate, it's doing my nut a little bit here- i cannot get it to switch to the correct HDMI when starting an activity. As far as i can see i have the correct HDMI ports assigned to each activity, input settings are list with up and down keys, inputs are ordered correctly, but every time i hit watch tv it turns everything on outstays on the source it was turned off on. Any ideas?

Advertisement