Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

what is the justification for repeating the allegation to people not in AGS?

To defend the honour and integrity of AGS. He will say that, in his view Sgt McCabe was unjustifiably blackening AGS, and he was giving reporters the reason why McCabe couldn't be trusted. Unless / until the Tusla story is discredited, Callinan can say he was only repeating what was on their files.

For the life of me I cannot understand why no-one seems to have been asked why McCabe wasn't arrested or questioned unless AGS knew the files were BS, but I presume that ship has sailed at this stage unless there is new evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Deise Vu wrote: »
    To defend the honour and integrity of AGS. He will say that, in his view Sgt McCabe was unjustifiably blackening AGS, and he was giving reporters the reason why McCabe couldn't be trusted. Unless / until the Tusla story is discredited, Callinan can say he was only repeating what was on their files.

For the life of me I cannot understand why no-one seems to have been asked why McCabe wasn't arrested or questioned unless AGS knew the files were BS, but I presume that ship has sailed at this stage unless there is new evidence.

well you have just asked it. as will whatever barrister is hired by mccabe. The whole thing does not stand up. Remember the burden of proof is a lot lower in civil cases. Mccabes case against callinan meets that standard to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Perhaps Callinan himself could answer that.. you know as well as I do there isn't any new evidence to uncover. Of course AGS knew the files were bullsh1t, including Callinan. You cannot possibly draw any other conclusion without taking massive leaps of faith, which AGS are not deserving of.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Perhaps Callinan himself could answer that.. you know as well as I do there isn't any new evidence to uncover. Of course AGS knew the files were bullsh1t, including Callinan. You cannot possibly draw any other conclusion without taking massive leaps of faith, which AGS are not deserving of.

The Tribunal has accepted that the Tusla errors were just that, errors. I don't know where anyone else is going to go with that. It doesn't matter what anyone on Boards knows, or thinks they know, or suspects, Justice Charlton drew a line under it, he found no connection between the Tusla errors and AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The Tribunal has accepted that the Tusla errors were just that, errors. I don't know where anyone else is going to go with that. It doesn't matter what anyone on Boards knows, or thinks they know, or suspects, Justice Charlton drew a line under it, he found no connection between the Tusla errors and AGS.

Of all the files in all of Tusla, it is funny how it was that exact one that they managed to do the copy and paste on. :rolleyes:

Coincidence?
    Must be.

After all a justice in a Tribunal thinks so.

But just imagine if the grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented situation arose where it was found that someone in Tusla, on the prompting of someone in the AGS, had mischievously set out to doctor the file relating to a Garda Whistleblower.

Imagine the can of worms that would open up.
    Nah that could never ever happen.

It is not as if there are very many links between members of our AGS and say employees of the Health Service or it's offspring.

It is almost as ludicrous as finding a cross over between taxi drivers and ex Gardai or Gardai and landlords. :eek:

BTW you wouldn't happen to have the good justice's contact details.
    There is a Nigerian lad that wnats some help transferring some of my cousins money out of the country and I reckon he is just the man to help.

• Advertisement

So Utter unbelievable coincidence and outrageous incompetence is more likely than a deliberate attempt to smear McCabe.. the reality is it just couldn't be proven. If only there were mobile phones where such evidence might exist.

Honestly, the opinions of guards here and those close to them really doesn't inspire much confidence for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So Utter unbelievable coincidence and outrageous incompetence is more likely than a deliberate attempt to smear McCabe.. the reality is it just couldn't be proven. If only there were mobile phones where such evidence might exist.

Honestly, the opinions of guards here and those close to them really doesn't inspire much confidence for the future.

I'm not close to anyone in the Garda but I think that certain posters on here love to vent at them and as someone already said "tar them all with the same brush".
    I think that's silly and vindictive. The vast majority of dealings I have had with them have been very positive. I live close to the border and meet them regularly in my travels.
    There are bad apples in every job.
    My opinion and I have expressed it here very often is that you have to separate policing from politicians. That's where most of the trouble stems. They can weed out the lower ranks quite easily but not the top ranks who are politically promoted.

I'm not close to anyone in the Garda but I think that certain posters on here love to vent at them and as someone already said "tar them all with the same brush".
    I think that's silly and vindictive. The vast majority of dealings I have had with them have been very positive. I live close to the border and meet them regularly in my travels.
    There are bad apples in every job.
    My opinion and I have expressed it here very often is that you have to separate policing from politicians. That's where most of the trouble stems. They can weed out the lower ranks quite easily but not the top ranks who are politically promoted.

How many posts here from guards were criticizing Callinan, Taylor or the colleagues of McCabe, whithout some bullsh1t whatabouttery aimed at McCabe himself. Most of the posts obviously from Guards here, have been critical of McCabe directly or indirectly.

And again, I don't think any police force guilty of falsifying breath test records, on a grand scale, at all levels, is one deserving of praise. Your anecdotal experiences don't really change that. Countless others here I'm sure can tell many negative experiences.

Whatever good ones there are, there are far too many bad apples at all levels severely damaging their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How many posts here from guards were criticizing Callinan, Taylor or the colleagues of McCabe, whithout some bullsh1t whatabouttery aimed at McCabe himself. Most of the posts obviously from Guards here, have been critical of McCabe directly or indirectly.

And again, I don't think any police force guilty of falsifying breath test records, on a grand scale, at all levels, is one deserving of praise. Your anecdotal experiences don't really change that. Countless others here I'm sure can tell many negative experiences.

Whatever good ones there are, there are far too many bad apples at all levels severely damaging their reputation.

As has been pointed out here, and I asked the question myself, only rank of inspector and above could cancel the penalty points so it doesn't seem that it was at all levels. I heard McCabe stating that garda were complaining to him that the points they gave to people were quashed. I know he had bad experiences with certain garda members but I heard him say he had very good backing from most of them. They were probably afraid to back him public ally in case they met the same fate as him. I posted an article about Joe Geary that you should read or maybe someone else posted it to show how people had been victimised years ago too,
    And I said there were bad apples but not as many as some would like to think.
    I'm a pensioner and have been meeting them for many years along the border and have never had a bad experience with them.
    Maybe some people vent because they have been caught for something.

As has been pointed out here, and I asked the question myself, only rank of inspector and above could cancel the penalty points so it doesn't seem that it was at all levels. I heard McCabe stating that garda were complaining to him that the points they gave to people were quashed. I know he had bad experiences with certain garda members but I heard him say he had very good backing from most of them. They were probably afraid to back him public ally in case they met the same fate as him. I posted an article about Joe Geary that you should read or maybe someone else posted it to show how people had been victimised years ago too,
    And I said there were bad apples but not as many as some would like to think.
    I'm a pensioner and have been meeting them for many years along the border and have never had a bad experience with them.
    Maybe some people vent because they have been caught for something.

You didn't read my post, I made specific reference to the falsified breath tests. Never mind the dodgy reporting on murder stats. Do you honestly believe the insidious behaviour of the guards in bailiborough is isolated?

Nobody wants to think there's lots of bad apples, but not for one second do I believe it isn't a number significant enough to create and perpetuate a toxic culture.

• Advertisement

There is nothing to stop the evidence being re-examined in a civil trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think most rational people know that even though the tribunal could not find the proof of wrongdoing, there was absolutely deliberate wrongdoing with that file in Tusla.

I am getting the sinking feeling that people think I am backing Callinan and the official AGS view of events. I have been screaming from the rooftops since it first emerged, that the Tusla 'error' is the scariest thing I have ever seen from a vast list of official wrong doing I have witnessed in this country (today actually isn't that bad compared with the 70's, 80's and 90's). But the simple fact remains that the story couldn't be cracked by senior counsel cross examination and was accepted by an experienced judge. No amount of rolleyes emojis is going to alter that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 diceyriley

ProudDUB wrote:
    OP, why not give us a rough idea of the gist of the slanderous comment? Mainly because I'm very, very bored in work, but also because peoples interpretation of slanderous can be very different. Some people are so up their own arse, that anyone who says anything remotely negative to them (or about them) is being slanderous. It's often not the case, once a bit of common sense or perspective is brought to the table.

Given Black Friday has been taken on in Ireland in a similar way to Love Day in The Simpsons, should we celebrate Thanksgiving too?

tretorn wrote:
    I have always had great service from our local Gardai and to be fair Mc Cabe seems to have been a monumental pain in the hole. Its all very well for onlookers to be saying he is a national hero, they didnt have to work with him.

tretorn wrote:
    What was John Mc Guinness doing in that carpark. Callinan seems to have given forty years of impeccable service and then had a moment of madness setting up that meeting with Mc Guinness. I do think unarmed Gardai would have huge loyalty to each other and here was Mc Cabe complaining about someone in every station he worked in. Thats the reality and most of us dont go to superiors complaining about our colleagues, at the endof the day none of us are perfect.

tretorn wrote:
    She has now been snapped up for a big European job and I wish her well.

tretorn wrote:
    Noirin O Sullivan was very badly treated, even the Charleton Chairman said as much.

tretorn wrote:
    What was John Mc Guinness doing in that carpark. Callinan seems to have given forty years of impeccable service and then had a moment of madness setting up that meeting with Mc Guinness. I do think unarmed Gardai would have huge loyalty to each other and here was Mc Cabe complaining about someone in every station he worked in. Thats the reality and most of us dont go to superiors complaining about our colleagues, at the endof the day none of us are perfect.

tretorn wrote:
    I have always had great service from our local Gardai and to be fair Mc Cabe seems to have been a monumental pain in the hole. Its all very well for onlookers to be saying he is a national hero, they didnt have to work with him.

tretorn wrote:
    She has now been snapped up for a big European job and I wish her well.

tretorn wrote:
    Noirin O Sullivan was very badly treated, even the Charleton Chairman said as much.

Ive worked with plenty people who were a pain in the hole. Some are ones who cut every corner possible and some are the ones who want everything done by the book. The only one liable for being a pain in the hole is the one who cuts corners. To say that smeering the name of the type whos only crime wanting things done properly is anything but disgusting tells me what type of perso you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

tretorn wrote:
    . Callinan seems to have given forty years of impeccable service and then had a moment of madness setting up that meeting with Mc Guinness.

Laughable nonsense. he was known as a terror and was referred to as such by other gardai. His "secrets" are well known amongst gardai, and it's only a matter a time until the rest of his iniquities come to the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Odhinn wrote: »
    Laughable nonsense. he was known as a terror and was referred to as such by other gardai. His "secrets" are well known amongst gardai, and it's only a matter a time until the rest of his iniquities come to the surface.

I'm kind of curious how many people shred up to ten black bags full of documents on their last day in work? I'm sure in this case though that it was just normal housekeeping and nothing to do with erasing a paper trail.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious how many people shred up to ten black bags full of documents on their last day in work? I'm sure in this case though that it was just normal housekeeping and nothing to do with erasing a paper trail.

Where was that reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Where was that reported?

From an extremely quick Google search.

Creighton calls for inquiry into Callinan shredding documents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

An awful lot of posters here seem to have just heard of the McCabe case and Callinans's involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

SeaFields wrote: »
    You'd have to say he could have walked. Anyone else probably would have. It took some courage and strength to keep going in light of what was going on.

Yea because he could see the euro signs in the distance and the inevitable martyrdom he’d be bestowed by the holier than thou rabble. Far as I’m aware he’s been “off sick” for the last number of years. So rather than do the job he was actually being paid for and signed up to. Like all the false sacred cows that are created in this country what they’ve actually achieved or done amounts to sweet FA. The real heroes in the Gardai are the ones doing their jobs daily (the vast majority) and making a real difference in tackling crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

road_high wrote:
    Yea because he could see the euro signs in the distance and the inevitable martyrdom he’d be bestowed by the holier than thou rabble. Far as I’m aware he’s been “off sick†for the last number of years. So rather than do the job he was actually being paid for and signed up to. Like all the false sacred cows that are created in this country what they’ve actually achieved or done amounts to sweet FA. The real heroes in the Gardai are the ones doing their jobs daily (the vast majority) and making a real difference in tackling crime.

Pathetic post tbh.

road_high wrote: »
    Yea because he could see the euro signs in the distance and the inevitable martyrdom he’d be bestowed by the holier than thou rabble. Far as I’m aware he’s been “off sick” for the last number of years. So rather than do the job he was actually being paid for and signed up to. Like all the false sacred cows that are created in this country what they’ve actually achieved or done amounts to sweet FA. The real heroes in the Gardai are the ones doing their jobs daily (the vast majority) and making a real difference in tackling crime.
    Christ, I really hope you're not a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Christ, I really hope you're not a guard.

If he is he's another one that needs to be given the high_road.

Euro signs you say.

Do the job he was paid to do you say.

Well in terms of the first point, you’re assumping McCabe had a crystal ball and could see the future.

And in relation to your second point, he did just that. And An Garda are much better for it.

But if you’d prefer to return to a corrupt police force, well so be it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...and we'll just ignore the ones that abuse their power, make fake reports, persecute people and other gardai etc and so on. Grand plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭wonga77

You can tell the disgruntled guards a mile off...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Floppybits

wonga77 wrote: »

It is worrying to see this attitude from gardai. How can they be annoyed when he reported 3 Gardai for turning up drunk at a suicide and were drink driving, the driver should have been breathalised and the suspended. As for the other things he exposed he was correct to do so.

If you swear to uphold the law then ALL members of AGS need to abibe by that and not ala carte way if applying it.

I love how he throws in a grenade and then runs away. Cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭wonga77

I love how he throws in a grenade and then runs away. Cowardly.

??? Its fairly obvious reading the different posters comments. Do I need to spell it out for you? Im not the first person to point it out on this thread

• Advertisement

??? Its fairly obvious reading the different posters comments. Do I need to spell it out for you? Im not the first person to point it out on this thread

I think Sycamore Tree was agreeing with you.

Advertisement