Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thewife wrote: »
    The Pres/Mocks are on at present if I am not mistaken

Depends on the school. I have mine this week and next week but like, come on now, it's the weekend. Besides mocks aren't worth it if I'm honest.

Off topic discussion over :P.

I fell fast asleep around midnight as I did a long day of frequent updates on Twitter so I missed out on the peak of Erik in Dublin.

How would you compare Erik to Ali? Storm Ali is still my favourite storm of the season I think and probably since the storm naming began in 2015 although Storm Doris in February 2017 was also a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Thewife wrote: »
    I was only replying to the person who said the exams weren’t on until June . I neither agree nor disagree about a teenager and lack of sleep , I also have no idea of exams are on at the weekend . Also totally agree about how hard doctors and junior doctors work , no disputing that at all 🀷*♀️
    I was simply replying to the person who said The exams aren’t until to June Just to let them know there is pres/mocks on now .. by doing so I was in no way agreeing nor disagreeing about the teenager getting less sleep etc I was simply pointing it out 🀷*♀️🀣

Yes I meant to quote the original quote, apologies :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I seen a report of 54 knots at Malin Head around 4pm yesterday, does anyone know where the highest gusts were recorded or where.

According to Met E, highest gust was 65kts/120kmh at Mace Head.

Note that was highest gust yesterday, up to midnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sryanbruen wrote: »

How would you compare Erik to Ali? Storm Ali is still my favourite storm of the season I think and probably since the storm naming began in 2015 although Storm Doris in February 2017 was also a lot of fun.

Yes Storm Ali was a classic and that's coming from a person who saw trees falling all over the place on the way to work in Galway. Storms make me feel alive.

Never mind the mocks! You'll probably be doing exams until your mid 20s so don't burn yourself out now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

DOCARCH wrote: »
    According to Met E, highest gust was 65kts/120kmh at Mace Head.

Note that was highest gust yesterday, up to midnight.

Thanks. Nothing out of the ordinary here to be fair last night , I think the worst of the wind was yesterday evening espeacially with the showers, Well eased back here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The highest gust overall in Ireland and the UK (ignoring any stations above 200 metres) was that 65 kts at Mace Head.

In the North, 59 kts at Castlederg was the highest.

In Scotland, Dundrennan (114 m) got 64 kts.

In Englsnd, St. Bees Head (Cumbria, 124 m) also got 64 kts.

Ronaldsway (Isle of Man) got 60 kts.

Storm Erik has been added to my table of storm comparison now. I have also added Eleanor, Rachel and Erich (a placeholder name for that storm on Wikipedia so I thought I'd use it) - some of the worst storms this decade.

Each cell is coloured by their warranted warning.

These are all maximum wind gusts (kph), highest 10-minute mean wind speeds will be added to its respective table next month when the data is available.

CFV3Hsb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

69 mph was my highest recorded wind gust in Galway City and that was last night around 1am when we had some very strong gusts of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Storm Erik has been added to my table of storm comparison now. I have also added Eleanor, Rachel and Erich (a placeholder name for that storm on Wikipedia so I thought I'd use it) - some of the worst storms this decade.

These are all maximum wind gusts (kph), highest 10-minute mean wind speeds will be added to its respective table next month when the data is available.

SGCAu2J.png

Hi sryanbreun, thanks again for the great data, the red might be easier to read if you set the conditional formatting to white font for example when the fill is red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Depends on the school. I have mine this week and next week but like, come on now, it's the weekend. Besides mocks aren't worth it if I'm honest.

Off topic discussion over :P.

I fell fast asleep around midnight as I did a long day of frequent updates on Twitter so I missed out on the peak of Erik in Dublin.

Ali was probably stronger. I think people have kind of gotten used to a lack of wind because we've hardly had any this winter. Doris, Ophelia, Emma, Frank and Georgina felt louder but I don't know if they were all stronger. Also, Storm Rachel from a few years ago felt louder. That was the storm that had a red warning in the West I think.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Ali was probably stronger. I think people have kind of gotten used to a lack of wind because we've hardly had any this winter. Doris, Ophelia, Emma, Frank and Georgina felt louder but I don't know if they were all stronger. Also, Storm Rachel from a few years ago felt louder. That was the storm that had a red warning in the West I think.

Correct about Storm Rachel - I remember being jealous of students in the west getting off of school as a result.

Georgina sounded louder but it was mainly down to the combination of wind and the passage of a squall line during the early hours of 24 January 2018. It woke me up around 3 and I was frustrated because of that especially considering it was a school night.

I said I prefer using stats over people's recollections but with Ali, I kind of reconsidered that as they do not show Ali as a particular amazing storm and needed to be there to see what it was like.

What I remember from Storm Frank was generally the heavy rains that occurred particularly down in Cork although still do remember some fair gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Possibly this wind event was a little north of due westerly which exposed different areas around Dublin to the strong gusts than is often the case, things should gradually calm down to a more tolerable level now.

Ah that makes sense for my position. It felt much worse than other supposedly stronger storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Dublin airport 08/02/19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Anyone else concerned about the system that is developing around the azores-iceland belt at the moment. Serious potential for strong gales and massive dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Anyone else concerned about the system that is developing around the azores-iceland belt at the moment. Serious potential for strong gales and massive dumps.

mind sharing some charts of it? Can't look atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pauldry

Here too. was all white with hail for an hour there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

pauldry wrote: »
    Here too. was all white with hail for an hour there

I don't think Big Nasty was talking about snow.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

m17 wrote: »
    Dublin airport 08/02/19

The Aer Lingus flight from around 3.10 was the flight I was on, hope to never experience that again! Though it was a good adrenaline rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The Aer Lingus flight from around 3.10 was the flight I was on, hope to never experience that again! Though it was a good adrenaline rush...

I'd love to experience that since I enjoy turbulence. I was on a flight to London a few years ago and there was a thunderstorm in Heathrow at the time we were landing and it was a fun experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Graces7 wrote: »

Before I came to Ireland I lived on a very remote North Sea island with far worse weather than here. Hated living on the mainland and as soon as I could, came offshore .
    Fair enough Grace7. I guess some people just like being close to the sea. It is in their blood.

However, we are living through a very benign climate period, so don't be fooled by the relative calmness of that off-shore island. You are in classic sting-jet territory there, and sooner or later, you'll find this out yourself.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Syran, a great list there (as usual) of the recent gust speeds from recently named storms.

Is it possible, if you have time, to get a list of the average high gust speed from your dataset for each of the stations you mention? I could input all the data manually from your graph into a spreadsheet to find this out for myself, but it would take an age. :o

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

One thing that was a bit different was the long duration of strong winds, just about 24 hours at Mace Head with gusts of at least 50 knots.

This was not the strongest wind gust of the winter, however, 67 knots on 25th January was 2 knots higher than Friday's 65 knots. If this holds to end of February, I am pretty certain this is the lowest maximum gust speed since starting the winter forecast contest in 2011. (61 was the max in December).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Agree MT. The high winds were noticeable for nigh on24 hours which is not typical, plus the strongest winds seemed to occur overnight which was unexpected. It was an unusual event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

One thing that was a bit different was the long duration of strong winds, just about 24 hours at Mace Head with gusts of at least 50 knots.

It reminds me of the storm way back in 1990.

It was also notable for the long duration of the winds. I recall it was quite stormy for several hours, then there was a lull, before winds intensified again for a few more hours.

This was not the strongest wind gust of the winter, however, 67 knots on 25th January was 2 knots higher than Friday's 65 knots. If this holds to end of February, I am pretty certain this is the lowest maximum gust speed since starting the winter forecast contest in 2011. (61 was the max in December).

Mace Head had a gust of 79 knots during Storm Ali. Wonder how often the strongest gust of the season has taken place in early Autumn?

The trend in high wind speeds has been falling for a while now, so this comes as no surprise. What would have been once considered ordinary, run of the mill winter wind events have now become the new 'storms', that puts both the media and the public into a pearl clutching fret.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

SGCAu2J.png

Can't believe Cork airports strongest gust was during storm Rachel. Darwin and Ophelia were monsters down here. Not sure I even remember Rachel? There was one storm where Kent railway station lost its roof but thought that was Darwin, maybe it was Rachel?

Can't believe Cork airports strongest gust was during storm Rachel. Darwin and Ophelia were monsters down here. Not sure I even remember Rachel? There was one storm where Kent railway station lost its roof but thought that was Darwin, maybe it was Rachel?

Keep in mind, there is always the possibility of an error in the historical database (as there has been with some things I've noticed and tried to contact Met Éireann about). Looks like this one was an error (so I edited the table in the post) - see below.

According to the January 2015 monthly weather bulletin, 106 km/h was the max gust at Cork Airport.

Thanks for mentioning this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The trend in high wind speeds has been falling for a while now, so this comes as no surprise. What would have been once considered ordinary, run of the mill winter wind events have now become the new 'storms', that puts both the media and the public into a pearl clutching fret.

And its becoming increasingly irritating the trend in the media to ascribe every bit of "bad weather" to "climate change":rolleyes:

Mace Head had a gust of 79 knots during Storm Ali. Wonder how often the strongest gust of the season has taken place in early Autumn?

Well 1961 would qualify unless you're taking astronomical seasons. In the UK the 1987 storm was fairly early in the autumn season. So there have been some big examples but not many in total.

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting factoid too, of all those stations, the only one never to break through the yellow ceiling is Mullingar. The location which has the most higher than yellow (in ten attempts) is a tie (seven) between Mace Head and Sherkin Island, with Mace Head leading the reds with four. I'm not surprised by any of those factoids but there you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Fair enough Grace7. I guess some people just like being close to the sea. It is in their blood.

However, we are living through a very benign climate period, so don't be fooled by the relative calmness of that off-shore island. You are in classic sting-jet territory there, and sooner or later, you'll find this out yourself."

Not " near the sea"; out surrounded by it is the appeal.

Not sure what a sting jet is?

And it is not calm here many days now and that is fine. Am well used to it after a decade in the far North Sea. Our dwellings are sturdy.

Erik was the worst I personally have seen. Will ask my neighbour the ferryman as he was born here and has worked these waters 60 years

Son of erik is this today? or an echo?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Son of erik is this today? or an echo?

Eriksson.

Should be making his presence known soon....

"Eriksson.

Should be making his presence known soon...."

Already shaking the dwelling! Ah well!

Well 1961 would qualify unless you're taking astronomical seasons. In the UK the 1987 storm was fairly early in the autumn season. So there have been some big examples but not many in total.

Yeah I thought 1961 would be there with Debbie although not 100% sure as January or February (pretty sure it was February) 1962 had a pretty strong storm too.

A quick look at Malin Head's max. gusts for every July to June period back to 1955 shows that the strongest wind gust of the season at the station has been recorded in September 2 times {1961, 1969}, October 5 times {1959, 1970, 1976, 1991, 2000} and November 7 times {1963, 1965, 1974, 1986, 1996, 2005, 2009}.

It's also interesting to point out that the station has had 7 of its weakest maximum wind gusts in the past 19 years (since 1955) for the fixed period named. The strongest being Debbie of 16th September 1961 with 98 knots and the weakest being 63 knots in 1968-69, 2009-10 and 2016-17. Even the "stormiest Winter on record" 2013-14 did not have a particularly high maximum wind gust at Malin Head.

I inputted the data into this graph and using a 10-year running average, there is a clear downwards trend in terms of maximum wind gusts for Malin Head. I think I remember Donegal Storm also mentioning that storms seem to have taken a more southwards track in modern times - which would be in line with this data and in my storm table comparison, Malin Head did not receive one warranted red warning even though it's regarded as the windiest synoptic station in the country on average due to how far north it lies.

18NhzPM.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

According to Wikipedia that happened on 18 December 2013. Assuming Wiki has the correct date, I don`t know what storm was hitting the country then.

"Fair enough Grace7. I guess some people just like being close to the sea. It is in their blood.

However, we are living through a very benign climate period, so don't be fooled by the relative calmness of that off-shore island. You are in classic sting-jet territory there, and sooner or later, you'll find this out yourself."
    Oneiric

Reminded of the winter storms on the North Sea island, They tended to last 3 days and there were times as I had a smallholding when I went to feed my stock hanging on the washing posts. Recorded winds of 124 Mph.. A chicken house literally taking off, great boulders flying across fields. You felt as if the skin was literally being flayed off your face. We knew how to stay safe as we do here. Were I seeking calm, I would not be out here. Left that island for work reasons and now that is over, I have come "home" again. great here to have such excellent and detailled forecasting; thank you boardsies . You are great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

.. Reminded of the winter storms on the North Sea island, They tended to last 3 days and there were times as I had a smallholding when I went to feed my stock hanging on the washing posts. Recorded winds of 124 Mph.. A chicken house literally taking off, great boulders flying across fields. You felt as if the skin was literally being flayed off your face. We knew how to stay safe as we do here. Were I seeking calm, I would not be out here. Left that island for work reasons and now that is over, I have come "home" again. great here to have such excellent and detailled forecasting; thank you boardsies . You are great!

Was that the same North sea island you described here? It sounded like a strange wild place tbh ....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108371421&postcount=5280

I had a look back and that report is accurate, the Kent railway station roof was damaged in the storm on 18 Dec 2013.

If you go back to that month in the weather forum, there was no dedicated thread for the storm, but it took up a fair amount of the discussion in a more general thread on Atlantic storms in Dec 2013. (the later named Erich on 27th-28th had its own thread, without mention of the name Erich in the thread title at least, didn't read the thread). This un-named storm on the 18th prompted a code red for parts of Connacht. There is a mention of the roof damage on page 44 of the thread with a tweet copied from the Irish Rail website.

The daily data portion of the met.ie website do not go back far enough for me to check, maybe sryanbruen or someone else can have a look and see what sort of peak gusts this event on the 18th Dec produced. If memory serves, there were also big storms in January 2014 that are not in the list of wind gusts yet, wasn't there one around the first week that did damage to coastal areas in west Munster? And here's a question, how did Erich come before Darwin in the same winter?

• Advertisement

I have a list of the daily data from Met Eireann for that day here in a messy spreadsheet form but some select data: (highest gust speeds)

Belmullet 70kt
    Ballyhaise 50kt
    Casement 55kt
    Cork Apt 60kt

New Moon

I have a list of the daily data from Met Eireann for that day here in a messy spreadsheet form but some select data: (highest gust speeds)

Belmullet 70kt
    Ballyhaise 50kt
    Casement 55kt
    Cork Apt 60kt

Just looking through the data as I create tables before I go off to sleep and it says Malin Head recorded a max gust of 73 knots on 18th December 2013.

By the way, I got your request. :)

By the way, I got your request. :)

No rush Syran.

Might be handy just to create a sort of 'index', based on a more national average, to compare these named storms against each other.

New Moon

Was going to make one on the highest 10-minute mean wind speeds too but it's a bit late.

I included what I think are the most notable depressions of December 2013 and January 2014 though there were a few more like 30th/31st December and 24th/25th January. There would be a few more too to add from February 2014 such as the 1st, 5th, 8th and Valentine's Day.

4kZjn4L.png

Keep in mind, any data is open to error here.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

No rush Syran.

Might be handy just to create a sort of 'index', based on a more national average, to compare these named storms against each other.

I think that would be very good but how would we formulate this index. For storms to be compared against each other, I think other data like mean wind speeds should be considered than just maximum gusts.

Also, how do we decide on deep depressions that weren't named? Some examples of lows to be considered in such a category in my opinion:

*3 January 2012
    *8 December 2011
    *11 November 2010
    *17 January 2009
    *10 March 2008
    *27 October 2004
    *27 October 2002
    *26 December 1998
    *24 December 1997
    *5 January 1991
    *25 January 1990
    *26 February 1989
    *25 July 1988
    *9 February 1988
    *14 August 1979
    *2 January 1976
    *28 January 1974
    *16 January 1974
    *12 January 1974

I think that would be very good but how would we formulate this index. For storms to be compared against each other, I think other data like mean wind speeds should be considered than just maximum gusts.

Also, how do we decide on deep depressions that weren't named? Some examples of lows to be considered in such a category in my opinion:

*3 January 2012
    *8 December 2011
    *11 November 2010
    *17 January 2009
    *10 March 2008
    *27 October 2004
    *27 October 2002
    *26 December 1998
    *24 December 1997
    *5 January 1991
    *25 January 1990
    *26 February 1989
    *25 July 1988
    *9 February 1988
    *14 August 1979
    *2 January 1976
    *28 January 1974
    *16 January 1974
    *12 January 1974

Fair points Syran, though I would suggest, just for the sake of simplicity, that just monitering gust speeds would be sufficenit as highest 10 min speeds are not that readily available to us on a day by day basis (except a month or two later when M.E release updated data up to the previous month)

I used to keep a record of mean daily windspeeds for each of the stations but stopped doing this last year due to time and (minor) health issues. I tend to just focus now daily temp, rainfall and pressure values.

New Moon

• Advertisement

How about that great windstorm on or about 27 Feb 1903, may have had its peak gusts on 26th for some places? Are there many records we can compare from that one? I believe it did more damage to trees than even Darwin managed to do. Wind max tracked across south-central into eastern counties. The maps show a low tracking about where Darwin went, perhaps slightly further north.

I happen to have open that pressure file mentioned in the research thread, check this out (for grid point at 54N 6W):

26 Feb 18z __ 1001.4 mb

27 Feb 00z ___ 972.9 mb

27 Feb 06z ___ 973.6 mb

27 Feb 12z ___ 992.3 mb

(the archive map shows a closed 965 isobar but if the maps are accurate the pressure likely just stayed similar from 00z to 06z.)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

I found this report on Storm "Darwin" very interesting with regard to how it analysed the weather warnings and timings. Also mentioned at the end that Harmonie is biased and thus the wind speeds by forecasters were somewhat reserved until storm in progress.
    Maybe this has already been posted.

https://emergency.copernicus.eu/mapping/sites/default/files/citations/2014StormDarwin.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I had a look back and that report is accurate, the Kent railway station roof was damaged in the storm on 18 Dec 2013.

If you go back to that month in the weather forum, there was no dedicated thread for the storm, but it took up a fair amount of the discussion in a more general thread on Atlantic storms in Dec 2013. (the later named Erich on 27th-28th had its own thread, without mention of the name Erich in the thread title at least, didn't read the thread). This un-named storm on the 18th prompted a code red for parts of Connacht. There is a mention of the roof damage on page 44 of the thread with a tweet copied from the Irish Rail website.

The daily data portion of the met.ie website do not go back far enough for me to check, maybe sryanbruen or someone else can have a look and see what sort of peak gusts this event on the 18th Dec produced. If memory serves, there were also big storms in January 2014 that are not in the list of wind gusts yet, wasn't there one around the first week that did damage to coastal areas in west Munster? And here's a question, how did Erich come before Darwin in the same winter?

My recollection is that what hit the railway station was some sport of really localised event. I think GL described it as being caused by very localised up and down draughts (forgive lack of technical knowledge here!). I think it may have been associated with a sting jet feature or similar. The uninitiated like me were calling it a mini tornado! Think there's footage on youtube - it was pretty scary and dramatic - roof was just peeled off.

Highest 10-minute mean wind speeds for Storm Erik in comparison with other storms now that data is released.

beY9Phn.png

Data from Met Éireann.

Advertisement