Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gusting 65 mph in my location Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

North Clare, strong gusts since after 6am, noise has woken the household up!

Same here, I was awke at 5:30 it's still blowing a hard punch here near Corofin

I'd love to see the prom in Lahinch

http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch-web-cam-271257cm1.html

Lahinch is getting smashed.... again

That camera is on the surfshop...it's high enough up...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just stuffed an old jersey in the great hole where the letterbox was as the gale was invading the dwelling! Never had that happen before ... One cat is out but will have taken refuge in the shed. No way am I opening the door .. west mayo offshore island

as Saint Patrick said in the 5th century" the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks.. "

Please take care folks

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »

The gusts are as loud as thunder. west mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Definitely going to catch people unaware this one, certainly in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rough model estimation of where the strongest gusts will occur up 12 pm.

y3aNH0L.png

Thats a very cool graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just stuffed an old jersey in the great hole where the letterbox was as the gale was invading the dwelling! Never had that happen before ... One cat is out but will have taken refuge in the shed. No way am I opening the door .. west mayo offshore island

as Saint Patrick said in the 5th century" the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks.. "

Please take care folks

One of these days poor old Graces will be blown to the land of oz

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Just be safe everyone out there today. Here outside Sligo at the moment it feels like ' ah whats all the fuss about ' Since 7 AM it has been a case of been calm to sudden gusts . I am sheltered even though i live on the coast but believe me when I say things are completely different 2KM down the road from me .
    People need to know that things can be very different in local areas , anyone travelling between Sligo and Ballyshannon especially around Cliffoney wiill know what i mean.
    Also trees will have weakened up to know so take that into consideration if you are out today.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    One of these days poor old Graces will be blown to the land of oz

Well if she walks outside, she'll be turned upside down that's for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mc Love wrote: »
    29/30 km/h winds in Limerick at the moment

As long as the university is staying open. Have too much work to do.

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Definitely going to catch people unaware this one, certainly in the West.

No; we were warned and many of us took it seriously. Worse than forecast though. worse than Callum.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Graces7 wrote: »
    No; we were warned and many of us took it seriously. Worse than forecast though. worse than Callum.. west mayo offshore

I'm in Sligo town and there hasn't been a peep about it. Think us weather eejits are a bit sheltered in the forum here!

Very strong wind in Galway still gusting over 65 mph on my station, sea has flooded the Oranmore Galway road and trees down in some areas.

Muckka wrote: »
    Well if she walks outside, she'll be turned upside down that's for sure...

No intention of opening the door! Or going out there! I had a decade of training on a North Sea island. ... HATE gales since we lost family in the big tsunami. Huge respect for them but the utter savage power... Candle lit ....things are flying out there and thought I had everything sorted...

stay safe out there please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Warranted orange for us here outside Newport. Some very strong gusts hammering the house at the moment. Westnet still working for now, fair play to them.
    Going to be a fun drive to work in the van shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I'm well inland, south cavan. This is our worst windstorm of this seasons cycle so far, calm enough at times, but then burst of strong gusts.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Warranted orange for us here outside Newport. Some very strong gusts hammering the house at the moment. Westnet still working for now, fair play to them.
    Going to be a fun drive to work in the van shortly.

westnet are great. my dish is on the ocean facing gable end and never a worry. Was with digiweb before and their engineer was out often

Take care driving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quick look through the models would suggest to me slight shift of track keeping strongest winds to coasts. Probably gusting around 130 km/h or so on coastal fringes , up to 110 or so inland from coasts in the W / NW. Second wave of winds tonight strongest on coasts up to 120km/h but need to keep an eye on this , very windy overland gusting 80 to 110 km/h , looks quite windy in a corridor from Galway across to Dublin later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Muckka wrote: »
    http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch-web-cam-271257cm1.html

Lahinch is getting smashed.... again

That camera is on the surfshop...it's high enough up...

Would love to sit and watch that scene all morning...from the car park with a cuppa😆

Sea flooding over in Salthill now roads closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Far more windy than I expected. Fairly wild here on the East coast, in the west it must be blowing stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

8 am gusts.

Newport 64 kts
    Mace Head 63 kts
    Belmullet 58 kts
    Claremorris, Knock 51 kts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Cycled to work in Dublin.
    Normal winters day out there.
    Not even a cross wind in sight and the headwind was nothing to write home about.
    No rain.

Erik's will be very disappointed.
    On to the next non event we go.
    Heigh Ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

About 32kph with a 64kph gust at 8am in Longford
    472478.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Not even a cross wind in sight and the headwind was nothing to write home about.
    No rain.

Maybe for you, and you're lucky.
    Was watching Ireland a and it seemed windy enough when your man was giving out the weather in the garden.
    But events don't have to hit Dublin to be events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some gusts every so often in Dublin ATM but expecting it will get stronger later (according to TAFS etc?) Parents in cork city said last night had some torrential rain which I also saw here and said the wind was quite strong but had died down a bit.

Train ride home will be interesting later if it's meant to get stronger again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

No rain.

Well ya wouldnt fancy cycling your bike in north Galway this morn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

61kph mean winds here earlier this morning, according to ME app. But the gusts were intense.

Advertisement