Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

YFlyer wrote: »
    As long as the university is staying open. Have too much work to do.

Oh it will be open, its not that bad out there in Limerick anyway, had quite an enjoyable cycle to work this morning, handy with the wind at my back/left hand side for most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's so nice to hear the wind howling after what feels likes months of nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Well ya wouldnt fancy cycling your bike in north Galway this morn.

A gust blew a gate of mine off the hinges here in Galway to I'm assuming cycling could be tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Edward M wrote: »
    Maybe for you, and you're lucky.
    Was watching Ireland a and it seemed windy enough when your man was giving out the weather in the garden.
    But events don't have to hit Dublin to be events.

Ireland A.M?
    Don't you mean Ireland's equivalent to Fox&Friends:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hello Erik, some stronger gusts now, letterbox flapping. East Galway...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Windy morning in Galway. Wind seems quite strong but the lack of foliage in the trees and bushes makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pressure 967 here in Sligo

Not seen it that low in years

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

are we on reduced power? cannot add thanks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    I'm in Sligo town and there hasn't been a peep about it. Think us weather eejits are a bit sheltered in the forum here!

We tend to miss the worst of a lot of weather, Mayo and Donegal tend to receive the brunt of storms on our behalf. Even today we're on a Yellow warning while they have an Orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Graces7 wrote: »
    are we on reduced power? cannot add thanks etc

Not here anyway graces, must be your connection.

• Advertisement

Edward M i

OK. sounds like the end of the world here now. They have gone down to check the ferry .. hope they will be safe,

Is it safe to light the fire in such a gale, please? I am hesitating

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Edward M wrote: »
    Maybe for you, and you're lucky.
    Was watching Ireland a and it seemed windy enough when your man was giving out the weather in the garden.
    But events don't have to hit Dublin to be events.

In storms like this if things are not bad in Sligo I don't just think about how i will manage ,i think about everybody and hope nobody is hurt whether its Dublin, Cork or the Aran Islands !

Edward M i

OK. sounds like the end of the world here now. They have gone down to check the ferry .. hope they will be safe,

I know personally I can't as it blows all the smoke down the chimney into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Edward M i

Where are you Grace?

I just heard from friends on Alchill, they're not leaving the house. School is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Doesn't seem like much in Letterkenny, horrible wet and windy morning but definitely not what I'd call stormy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Doesn't seem like much in Letterkenny, horrible wet and windy morning but definitely not what I'd call stormy

Donegal Orange warning only coming into effect now, hasn't peaked there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My end of Letterkenny is stormy! But my house is on a hill facing south and west - we always get the winds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like northern half of country high end yellow tonight, locally into Orange. Very strong westerly flow with high mean speeds nearing gale force inland. Not to be dismissed. Worst into Dublin area (imby) 2200-0400hrs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It has started to ease off in Galway in the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

9 am. The worst has passed for now

Mace Head 57 kts
    Belmullet 54 kts

• Advertisement

barely able to post. the men are back safe; they will have been adding extra ropes to the ferry.. I had the light on here a while so they could see all is well.

I even snuck out at the back briefly to see the ocean. seething, roaring, racing, a magnificent power we will never conquer

The missing cat is home; yelled at the door and is how hiding in a cupboard. I know how he feels. If this is orange, I hope I never see red

no easing here; it did for a few minutes and now is as bad as ever. offshore west mayo

Erik is a fine sight on the latest Visible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

I know personally I can't as it blows all the smoke down the chimney into the house.

We had the same problem when we'd have a south westerly wind, then we got an anti-downdraught cowl, static type €50.

Some recent sferics showing between Ennistymon and Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sligo Airport's latest gust is 33 kt. The highest so far was only 47 kts at 06:47, so it would seem correct to leave Sligo out of the Orange.

Obviously not advised to look at GFS at this juncture. But for reference- rare enough you see a gradient like this across the heart if Ireland at T+18hrs

gfs-0-18.png?6

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

web17-sat-irl-ir-201902080900.jpg

We had the same problem when we'd have a south westerly wind, then we got an anti-downdraught cowl, static type €50.
    Invincible

This is a modern solid fuel stove with a narrow tall chimney pipe and a good cowl but it is not cold.. so leaving it. Thanks for the info.... ..

I think westnet are understandably struggling to keep us online as am getting barely a posting facility// no bottom line or emoticons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Anyone from Sligo think it has got alot worse in the last 15 Minutes.

Advertisement