Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well now there have been mass cancellations and curtailments on plenty of non-Summerhill routes too such as the 14, 15, 26, 27, 39, 39a as well.

And yes, I’ve seen multiple departures in a row affected on those routes.

Saying it’s just one depot that is badly affected is not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah Aston Quay schedule this evening

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I do think you can prioritise a particular route and I would argue that is exactly what the NTA are doing with BusConnects. Clearly the core lettered routes (e.g. A1, C1, etc.) will be the high priority routes, followed by the orbital routes.

I’d assume we will see far less cancellations on these routes in future versus other routes.

I’d say that any route serving your airport should absolutely be a top priority. Want to give a good impression to arriving tourists if no other reason. That is how it is in most European cities. By comparison the 16 has always been a disaster show, likely because DB didn’t want it competing with their commercial 747 service.

The NTA really need to sort this route out and get it into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Most major European cities have airports served by some form of rail. Why should the airport get more priority it's a PSO service the fines for 16s or 41s not operating are the same as any other route.

Also the 41 is much faster bus than the 16 for the airport.

Afaik the priority the Bus Connected routes are getting is buses in the new livery as there have been plenty of cancellations on these routes too and buses terminating short in the cc.

That's not how it works in practice.

A bus missing from a low frequency route has far bigger impact in terms of delays for passengers than one missing off a high frequency route, and these would generally be the ones prioritised by the operators.

The "BusConnected" routes have been hit with cancellations and curtailments as much as any others.

There isn't much the NTA can do if there are physical driver shortages in the operating companies, other than decide to implement reduced timetables.

They have already got the NBRU's back up by implying at an Oireachtas committee that staff were claiming to be sick when they were not.

Incidentally, the 16 is not specifically an Airport route. Just as many people rely on it on the southside of the city to commute on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't get why bus connects didn't propose an express airport bus doing airport to city centre on a high frequency

The lack of rail surely means there's a gap to be filled but the airport bus route A2 seems to be no real improvement on what's there already

Well I suspect that any such PSO service would be open to immediate legal challenge by the commercial operators - Dublin Express and Aircoach under EU competition legislation.

The planned PSO service linking the airport and the city via the Swords Road and Drumcondra actually will be worse under BusConnects than it is now.

Currently you have 5 x 16 per hour during the day and 3 x 41, a total of 8.

BusConnects’ plans for each hour are 5 x A2 via Drumcondra (a reduction of 3 per hour).

It will however add:

1 x route 19 per hour via Ballymun (far too infrequent in my view)

3 x route 24 per hour via Charlestown and Glasnevin

2 x route N8 per hour linking with Blanchardstown and Clongriffin DART Station.

The L83 and L85 will provide a half hourly service to Swords/Donabate/Portrane and Swords/Lusk/Rush/Skerries/Balbriggan respectively

The L81 will replace the 102 every 20 minutes

The direct link to Estates off the Ashbourne Road in Swords to/from the airport will be lost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so as not to undercut the case for Metro? It seems like a daft reason but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It is interesting that the airport will actually lose PSO buses to the city. However, the removal of the Beaumont loop is a huge bonus for the airport to city pax. The 16 is quite busy all day ex the airport, but the new A2 should cope being every 12 minutes from the airport if it is feeding on to a higher frequency corridor on the A spine than currently.

The folks up at the top of Swords (Swords Manor etc.) will be surprised that they won't have a direct bus to the airport anymore with the loss of the 41. They will have to change near the airport to get another route in.

Just to be clear, the Airport is losing buses to the city via Drumcondra, but gaining some on more circuitous routes serving more of north Dublin en route (which are needed).

But losing three PSO buses an hour from the Airport along the R132 is not good. It’s nuts to be honest.

The A2 is the same frequency as the 16.

Hourly daytime frequency in Drumcondra right now is

1 - 5

11 - 2

13 - 5

16 - 5

33 - 0.75 (every 90 mins)

41/b/c - 6

That’s a total of 23.75 buses per hour.

BusConnects will have:

A1/A2/A3/A4 - 20

19 - 1

22 - 4

That’s a total of 25 buses per hour, so not that much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think it's a disaster really. It's public transport snd it shouldn't be ransomed by private interests. There should be an express service from the airport to the city centre operating at least every 15 mins and every 30 mins at night time. Operating via Drumcondra stopping only for interchange with orbitals and drumcondra Station. Ridiculous that not only have we the biggest airport in the world with no rail link but we can't even get a decent few buses out there.

That would surely compete with the commercial Aircoach route 700 service I would suggest as it stops at Drumcondra Station.

The DAA has encouraged private operators such as Dublin Express to set up operations (that did for Airlink), and once they are in place, they’re not going to give up their ground easily. Both Aircoach and Dublin Express have invested heavily in buses and staff.

Any PSO service is going to have to differentiate itself from the commercial operators in terms of stops and route. It just won’t wash otherwise. We have gone through that before with Swords Express objecting to the 41x and a revised routing for the latter had to be devised so that it could be legitimately claimed to be different.

I would expect there to be a regular A Spine service to the Airport through the night. It could be a combined A2/A4 service to/from Swords but there will certainly will be a 24 hour service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there is Dublin Express, who have ~80 services a day to/from the CC via the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Haven't got the N6 in over a month, I see they've removed the last stop on Santry Avenue heading towards Howth junction. Doesn't make any sense especially when the next stop on the swords Road the swords buses don't stop there so you need to walk back .

The Swords Road buses don’t stop there….yet.

But I’d be fairly certain that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's crazy that BusConnects and bus planning in general seems to be creating service patterns that dogmatically adhere to concepts of frequencies that are totally made up rather than frequencies that meet actual real life demands. The reductions in service to the airport is case in point - if people are willing to suffer the Beaumont detour to get to the airport on the 16 then what makes them think fewer people will want to use the A service that replaces it? It's the same as with the night buses - the night bus to Swords is packed and often won't pick up at Drumcondra, so why has the frequency been kept at a totally inadequate 30 minutes?

That’s not until 2024 - I would hope that they will change the stops before then!!

It does involve changing the schedules as all the stops have times allocated to them so there is a bit of work involved.

I think that they’ve got some of the Airport plans wrong

Personally, I would

* Increase the 19 to every 20-30 mins

* Extend the D4 to the Airport and increase the connectivity via Malahide Road

* Add a radial route to boost the A2 frequency between the city centre and airport via Drumcondra

As to increasing current night time frequency - the bus company doesn’t have the drivers at the moment and you’d need additional funding to increase the frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Still makes no sense removing that stop on Santry Avenue considering the bus is Always stuck there with traffic and at the lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Could rerouting the 22 to go via the Airport work? It would both boost the frequency by 4 buses an hour at peak and provide for a direct service between the new estates being built there and the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Anyone know of driver feedback regarding those stops? Seen a bus pull out from the Santry Villas side and it's awkward getting from the stop across traffic into the turn lane for Santry Avenue.

Edit: I would not equate this to the 16 pulling away from the Airport Chipper stop. That has a junction behind it and a good distance to the next, unlike the new stop at Santry Villas which is quite close to the next set of lights where traffic will trap the bus regularly in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

Recently Ga & Db had a open day to try drum up some interest in the job of potential new drivers, turn out was abysmal and once the pay rate was talked about many simply walked away, no longer interested.

GA on a saturday service and buses missing everywhere, GA taking drivers of the likes of 17,18,45a,75,184 and so on, to put drivers on their new Busconnects routes , cant have them flop , NTA pure idiots calling the shots and you can see that clearly now. So if you see any media puff pieces about the success of these new routes, know its at the expense of the other GA routes, i imagine DB will be no different.

The new and improved DB pay deal is out, its the same as before, well thats a lie , its slightly worse if you can believe it, LOL , worry not it is been voted on today and tomorrow, we all know that that means, LOL, boxes opens tonight and NO votes binned and replaced with YES votes! Two day voting only in DB and third world dictatorships!

The previous deal, drivers hit top pay rate in 2024, its now pushed out to 2025.

Overtime will be a thing of the past, in simple terms no overtime. 200 outside drivers on standby to do OT as a regular days work, minimum 2 days per week, NO OT for DB drivers, thats a pay cut

E1000 for 2019 and 2020, after tax be E500, LOL

3% 2021

3.5% 2022

3% 2024

3% 2025

Inflation rate for June 9.6%, we can all see the price of everything going up, this pay deal is a insult

"That look good to me, i take it and be happy , dont know why drivers are unhappy"- boards transport forum

Part of the deal is the improved pension, go on have a guess how the new improved pension is to be paid for? You guessed it from drivers contributions taken from wages, and its BACKDATED to 2019! Drivers will be hit with a bill for the previous years on increased pension contributions, if you dont laugh you would cry.

Plenty of other amazing bits and pieces, a driver favorite is the early duties starting at 4AM!

Now you are wondering what this has to do with Bus connects, well the reason DB & GA are having problems running the current service is staff retention and hiring, this does NOTHING to make the job more attractive to new hires, its still a 6 years pay scale, there will be no influx of new blood with these new pay and terms.

Anyway, if rumours are to be believed, there will be plenty of people moving to new jobs from unions and DB once this passes, that will be interesting to see if these rumours are true.

Have not talked to a single driver who has stated they will vote yes, all pissed of and voting NO, this is a good as it gets says the unions, next will be a strike if you dont vote YES, NOT a soul believes them, NTA gonna have to pay if they want Bus connects to roll out, if not drivers are happy to strike, its come to a head, either pay more or go on the dole, its that bad for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Hope there are serious discussions going on about the layout of bus stops at that junction. They could really use the lights in their favour for transferring, but too often I find I'm stuck in a bus at a light for 2mins while I watch my N6 come and leave.

I travel from the airport and switch to the N6 in Santry to head towards Kilbarrack. A southbound stop by the new Romayos would allow me to get an earlier bus two or three times a week.

How much, for those of us that don't have a clue, does an average DB driver with 10 years service earn before tax per annum? Taking in a usual amount of overtime, as we know the company is run on overtime.

Surely if nobody wants to accept the pay deal, you can ballot for industrial action?

Also everyone pays tax, that's life in Ireland. If I was lucky to get a 3% per annum pay rise for 4 years, I too would be paying tax at the high rate. Same as everyone else earning over €37k. That feel sorry for me argument doesn't work, as we are all in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The deal is crap and it's not about money it's more about work life balance. New deal requires drivers to do 12 hour shifts on a regular basis drivers rightfully against it.

This would be a huge help and provide a decent service for those in Swords which is one of the, if not the biggest locations for airport workers to live.

What will the 82 do? I can't work it out from the map!

Ok, so it is not about money? Then why were you talking about inflation and being taxed at 50%?

Will the amount of hours per week (averaged out) be worse? My understanding was (and I could be wrong) that the senior jobs were going and the shifts would be more intense than up to now?

Is a bus driver not like any other transport job, effectively can be asked to work any of the 24 hours a day and 7 days in the week within your contracted hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Provide a direct link between Kiltipper and Tallaght Business Park... even though you could just reroute the 85 to go thru there

• Advertisement

The 82 was amended to link Killinarden Heights with Killinarden Post Office - effectively providing a community bus service.

Advertisement