Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not a hope. TXFM used to have knowledgeable presenters who would play fairly obscure or left field music at times that made me "Shazam" them to look further into them.
    Bastille and George Ezra on a "rock" station?
    Unfortunately the electrician in work keeps it tuned to Nova all day now...The 2 in the morning are just the same as 98fm et all....Nonsense about celebs etc. Millar with his inane babble. Dee waxing lyrical about nothing and Courtney with his hilarious sound effects and double entdres. Thankfully we should be moving to a new job on Monday...No more Nova.

You do know how easy it is to electrocute a sparks don't you....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I suppose the problem is its hard to keep playing varied classic rock as a lot of the bands featured have limited radio friendly tracks,most people want well known tracks.

The problem is that nova have reduced a number of bands to one hit wonders with their playlist. As an example
    How many Dire Straits songs would you classify as radio friendly?
    How many have you heard on nova?
    How many times have you heard Sultans of Swing?

The only song by Journey I've heard on nova is Don't stop believing. It might be their best known track, but it's not like there aren't loads of other tracks they could play that would keep listeners happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I suppose what i meant about radio friendly was that stations seem to only play the best known songs.I would say Dire STRAITS have plenty of songs to spin maybe because they released singles and Journey is a good example you might be forgiven for thinking they only recorded one song .I am not sure what the listener figures would be for a radio station playing deeper cuts during the day in particular
    would be but doubt station heads would run with it for long . I used to think nova got their playlist off a few classic rock compilations as they mostly have the same track listing.

Was working in wicklow this morning..the woman had East coast on...almost all the songs I heard are played on Nova....go figure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Was working in wicklow this morning..the woman had East coast on...almost all the songs I heard are played on Nova....go figure...

Same parent company right?

Elmo wrote: »

Same playlist...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

seagull wrote: »
    The problem is that nova have reduced a number of bands to one hit wonders with their playlist. As an example
    How many Dire Straits songs would you classify as radio friendly?
    How many have you heard on nova?
    How many times have you heard Sultans of Swing?

The only song by Journey I've heard on nova is Don't stop believing. It might be their best known track, but it's not like there aren't loads of other tracks they could play that would keep listeners happy.

In relation to Dire Straits, besides Sultans of Swing, you are likely during the day to hear Romeo and Juliet and certain singles from the Brothers in Arms album, such as the title track, Money for Nothing and The Walk of Life. I have occasionally heard Private Investigations and Industrial Disease. It would be nice to hear more diverse tracks from Dire Straits, particularly during the day. The second album Communique does not get much airplay, e.g. Lady Writer, or, indeed, the last album On Every Street, e.g. the title track or Calling Elvis. Then there are all those album tracks that were not singles.

In relation to Journey, Who's Crying Now also gets a fair bit of airplay. Now and then, I have heard Any Way You Want It. But Journey had a much bigger body of work than just those three songs, and they had more than one lead singer if it comes to that! I barely know any other songs by them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

For a while there, a couple of months ago, an alien landing on earth and listening to Nova would’ve thought that Dire Straits only ever recorded one song: Lady Writer..
    I really don’t know why you think it’s underplayed!

JC'S final show..first track...."57 Channels and nothing on"......brilliant..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Not the last time I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭prunudo

JC'S final show..first track...."57 Channels and nothing on"......brilliant..:)

You gotta feel sorry for these dj's who are into their music, love what they do and playing songs for their listeners only to be bumped off air for content creators and washed up celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

I wouldn't be surprised if this week's show was recorded pre-axing. It doesn't feel like a final show at all, which is a shame. If it is JC's last time on the airwaves, (and I really hope it isn't), he deserves far better. The man's a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John has not yet made reference that this is his final show...and he is mentioning that the Biggest Jukebox is on every Sunday...I think this one was recorded for emergency situations.

jimmymack wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if this week's show was recorded pre-axing. It doesn't feel like a final show at all, which is a shame. If it is JC's last time on the airwaves, (and I really hope it isn't), he deserves far better. The man's a legend.

Definitely recorded, he said so last week. It was always going to be as he had a pre arranged family event this weekend. So last week was his actual last live show. There was a post further up with his final link where he thanked a lot of people who had helped him over the years.

Ps, i wouldn't put it past management to edit out any digs he may have made or side swipes he was alluding to.

jvan wrote: »
    Definitely recorded, he said so last week. It was always going to be as he had a pre arranged family event this weekend. So last week was his actual last live show. There was a post further up with his final link where he thanked a lot of people who had helped him over the years.

Yeah I got to hear some of it, just seems odd to have this little postscript at the end of it all.

jimmymack wrote: »
    Yeah I got to hear some of it, just seems odd to have this little postscript at the end of it all.

Not first or won't be last dj to be unable to say good bye and thank you to their loyal listeners.
    Jenny Greene was fairly shafted on 2fm this week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

We will never hear John's choice of music on Nova again.

I hope he returns to RTE Gold though I strongly doubt he will

Not first or won't be last dj to be unable to say good bye and thank you to their loyal listeners.
    Jenny Greene was fairly shafted on 2fm this week too.

Too true unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

We will never hear John's choice of music on Nova again.

I hope he returns to RTE Gold though I strongly doubt he will

If memory serves me right, he did not leave RTE on good terms, but I would agree that, if he was able to return to RTE Gold, that would be the ideal station to play his selection of music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭RINO87

Just listening to this pre recorded show. What a sad way for a legend to leave...

Carry on my wayward son usually always puts a smile on my face, but today I'm sad, most likely never to be heard on FM in this country again.

Its the likes of Branigan and Hayes that are killing radio...its all about the business , sadly for businesses if there is no customers theres no business...maybe the nova listeners need to start thinking more about this..its not like theres no choice...;)

Its the likes of Branigan and Hayes that are killing radio...its all about the business , sadly for businesses if there is no customers theres no business...maybe the nova listeners need to start thinking more about this..its not like theres no choice...;)

You're like a broken record. Can you let us know who in Nova pissed in your cornflakes?

You're like a broken record. Can you let us know who in Nova pissed in your cornflakes?

:D:D,,....the trolls are back....we all know who it wasnt, his knob wouldnt reach the table...now go back to playing your computer games with yer pals and leave this to the adults....;)

:D:D,,....the trolls are back....we all know who it wasnt, his knob wouldnt reach the table...now go back to playing your computer games with yer pals and leave this to the adults....;)

Look, send in another mix tape they might put you on from one to three am Sunday morning.

Look, send in another mix tape they might put you on from one to three am Sunday morning.

I wouldn't lower myself...they couldn't afford me.....;)

• Advertisement

On a thread closing in on four thousand posts you're responsible for nearly a quarter. Imagine if you liked Nova.

3725÷68= troll

And the sad part it's only to have a dig at me....:D

3725÷68= troll

And the sad part it's only to have a dig at me....:D

Because what you're trying to do is obvious. But, I don't think you're a troll. I do think you've an agenda. Post 3723 is a good example.

Because what you're trying to do is obvious. But, I don't think you're a troll. I do think you've an agenda. Post 3723 is a good example.

Youre absolutely right...i'd like to see nova do EXACTLY what their license was granted for...i dont think i'm alone on this...anyways thats what forums are for, venting your anger or displeasure at something ..we all know it wont change anything....:)

Youre absolutely right...i'd like to see nova do EXACTLY what their license was granted for...i dont think i'm alone on this...anyways thats what forums are for, venting your anger or displeasure at something ..we all know it wont change anything....:)

Interesting you mention licence. There's some bitter people in the radio industry (I'm not talking about music fans) and will do all sorts to campaign whatever way they can. Some of these people believe they should have been awarded certain licences instead, and didn't take it well. Radio licences made some people a lot of money in the past, so its not surprising.

In my own opinion those days are gone, traditional advertising has moved on. At least one bank's sole advice about getting your start up product known is to use social media and get involved with influencers.

The BAI have recognised that and have allowed stations to adapt. Phantom closed for a reason, while it had die hard fans and part of a large media organisation it could not progress.

Other similar sized radio stations have had their radio licences renewed by the BAI despite not aligning fully with their original licence. Adapt, change and survive.

That's the Irish radio landscape, especially one competing in an environment where the major player is subsidised by the government and also competing for commercial advertising. That's the single issue distorting Irish Radio.

Radio Nova's licence will probably be renewed next year. Enjoy the diversity of Irish radio stations while you can. I don't think it's going to get any better than it currently is.

• Advertisement

That's the Irish radio landscape, especially one competing in an environment where the major player is subsidised by the government and also competing for commercial advertising. That's the single issue distorting Irish Radio.

Indo Radio station are allowed 9 - 12 mins of advertising per hour (average 9 - max 12) RTÉ are allowed 6 to 9 mins of ads ( average 6 - max 9).

RTÉ support a service as gealige that has no commercials. Along with a niche classical music service.

While 2fm’s use of the license fee is questionable.

RTÉ do not compete for local advertising, while Dublin stations are possible most effected by the 5 national advertising stations (rte 1, 2 & lyric, Newstalk and today fm).

Nova unlike phantom did well in terms of audience it seems strange to change something that was working.

The BAI should have looked differently at Sunshine & phantom to allow them to service their niche audiences i.e. the requirement for news & ca, and sunshine should have been licensed for the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting you mention licence. There's some bitter people in the radio industry (I'm not talking about music fans) and will do all sorts to campaign whatever way they can. Some of these people believe they should have been awarded certain licences instead, and didn't take it well. Radio licences made some people a lot of money in the past, so its not surprising.

In my own opinion those days are gone, traditional advertising has moved on. At least one bank's sole advice about getting your start up product known is to use social media and get involved with influencers.

The BAI have recognised that and have allowed stations to adapt. Phantom closed for a reason, while it had die hard fans and part of a large media organisation it could not progress.

Other similar sized radio stations have had their radio licences renewed by the BAI despite not aligning fully with their original licence. Adapt, change and survive.

Radio Nova's licence will probably be renewed next year. Enjoy the diversity of Irish radio stations while you can. I don't think it's going to get any better than it currently is.

What you're saying is the general public have a horrendous taste in music however all radio stations must pander to them at all costs.

What you're saying is the general public have a horrendous taste in music however all radio stations must pander to them at all costs.

Radio stations will "pander" to the greatest audience they think it possible they can get. To think otherwise is tinfoil hat territory.

Btw, taste is subjective. Nobody has a claim to greater taste in music.

Radio stations will "pander" to the greatest audience they think it possible they can get. To think otherwise is tinfoil hat territory.

But this is wrong, if a station gets a license on the belief that it will cater for a certain genre, in this case rock music, I don't think its unfair for the people who like this type of music to be annoyed when the station then "panders" to a different format and music style in other to gain listeners.
    This is one of the reasons why Irish music radio is so bad at the moment, there is very little separating the stations these days, but then thats my opinion and maybe I'm wrong.

But this is wrong, if a station gets a license on the belief that it will cater for a certain genre, in this case rock music, I don't think its unfair for the people who like this type of music to be annoyed when the station then "panders" to a different format and music style in other to gain listeners.
    This is one of the reasons why Irish music radio is so bad at the moment, there is very little separating the stations these days, but then thats my opinion and maybe I'm wrong.

Your opinion is entirely valid, but try tuning into Phantom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wow

Wow

If you think that's amazing you should hear me making a humming noise - it leaves Fr Purcell in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Is Nova part of Virgin Media television?

I don't know if it is technically yet but it wouldn't surprise me in the future to hear that it has been acquired by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Your opinion is entirely valid, but try tuning into Phantom.

his opinion is actually the correct one and is how a proper radio landscape would work.
    if a station applies for a particular licence to serve a particular format, then it operates that licence. if it turns out that the particular format is not viable, off the air it goes. no protectionism from the BAI or no ability to deviate. fm spectrum is limited so to many stations chasing more or less the same audience is bad for everyone. the BAI'S misguided attempts to protect stations will in my view actually kill more in the long run. this is why stations have to be allowed to fail.
    alternatively, format specific licences are abolished and anyone who wants a licence applies for a general broadcasting licence which they can use to broadcast any format they wish. they will then be able to chop and change formats, and the market should then sort out the issue of to many stations chasing the same format and audience.
    the current system only benefits the businesses AKA broadcasters. it does not benefit the listener, nor does it benefit radio. i truely believe it will actually kill radio a lot quicker.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement

his opinion is actually the correct one and is how a proper radio landscape would work.
    in your opinion.

The BAI have been given the responsibility to regulate the industry. If they allow derogation then that's what's allowed.

It's easy to say let the businesses go to the wall and everything will turn out okay in the end.

in your opinion.

The BAI have been given the responsibility to regulate the industry. If they allow derogation then that's what's allowed.

It's easy to say let the businesses go to the wall and everything will turn out okay in the end.

it's not my opinion, it's actual fact that the poster's opinion is correct, when we look at the industry as a whole.

it's not my opinion, it's actual fact that the poster's opinion is correct, when we look at the industry as a whole.

Ireland isn't big enough for niche radio stations. jvan thinks that more diversity would benefit the radio landscape. This has been tried and none has been terribly successful as yet.

You can blame the BAI, the over ambitious licensees, or the non commercial minded listeners... but niche radio will struggle. That's why the BAI allowed derogation. That's my opinion.

Ireland isn't big enough for niche radio stations. jvan thinks that more diversity would benefit the radio landscape. This has been tried and none has been terribly successful as yet.

the problem is there is absolutely no evidence that ireland is to small for a couple of niche stations given ireland's regulatory environment. niche radio stations are expected to operate along the same lines as full service ILRS. so the fact such stations have been tried and havenn't been successful unfortunately means nothing within this context. until we have a genuine market driven approach rather then a protectionist approach which delivers nothing but saturation of the same, and until the BAI are forced to focus on content rather then the business model of stations which should be none of the BAI'S business, we cannot know what will and won't truely work.
    You can blame the BAI, the over ambitious licensees, or the non commercial minded listeners... but niche radio will struggle. That's why the BAI allowed derogation. That's my opinion.

it doesn't matter why the BAI allowed derogation. not that i believe it was anything to do with stations struggling that they allowed it, but rather to keep stations on air at any cost. they were wrong to allow it, and have put protectionism before the good of the industry. if they really cared about niche stations and their struggles, then they would seek for the government to change the rules so that such stations do not have the same burdens as full service stations.
    the regulatory environment is absolutely a massive reason for why the radio landscape in ireland is stagnent. it is not the only reason, advertisers going elsewhere along with the audience is another huge reason. however protectionism and fear of businesses failing will hinder rather then help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I don't know if it is technically yet but it wouldn't surprise me in the future to hear that it has been acquired by them.

They both have the same weather sponsor, is this just a coincidence or are the two connected?

They both have the same weather sponsor, is this just a coincidence or are the two connected?

coincidence, both are separate. Last time TV3/Virgin Media TV looked at a radio service was for the MultiCity licence (4FM/Classic Hits).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Why would they be interested in trying to buy over a station that’s haemorrhaging staff, listeners and revenue :confused:
    Unless they think they can turn it around but you certainly wouldn’t pay any money to buy into a company that has performed the way nova has.

Homer wrote: »
    Why would they be interested in trying to buy over a station that’s haemorrhaging staff, listeners and revenue :confused:
    Unless they think they can turn it around but you certainly wouldn’t pay any money to buy into a company that has performed the way nova has.

All down to bad management decisions, the station started off great but soon the rot set in, overplaying the same songs/bands..they were so up their own arSes that they wouldnt listen when listeners started complaining...then there was all the staff changes/sackings......the final nail in the coffin was when "Bob" came on board as PD with his "vision"......"W'e're all afraid of Bob"..so you should be.....:rolleyes:

BAI are very safe, they gave a licence out, either they knew the licencee could not keep to or they are a soft regulator. IMO they are an ultra soft regulator. They fear a collapse with any station.

Niche radio with struggle but the regulator must know this, it cannot nor should it think to keep something alive that is not working, Radio Nova was doing well as a Rock music service and one of the shinning example of a niche channel working, I am not sure you can say that now.

Niche radio stations should be treated differently to local and national main stream stations, but with clear regulation towards their niche.

I often wonder if any other radio stations will get a licence under section 71 of the 2009 act for a national service, nova and others did not get this.

• Advertisement

... Radio Nova was doing well as a Rock music service and one of the shinning example of a niche channel working, I am not sure you can say that now.

Going by what metric?

Advertisement