Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭snowinwinter

Well thats fair enough, i'm quite surprised by those readings because its snowing to sea level here and very dry snow at that.

Maybe in the light showers its rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Well thats fair enough, i'm quite surprised by those readings because its snowing to sea level here and very dry snow at that.

I thought you said 50 m? :pac::D
    Maybe in the light showers its rain.

Which is what I've been saying all along!

um yea thats my elevation but its snowing at sea level here. If only I could get my iPhone charger to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

I think there is still a chance yet....if the showers pick up and when the temps drop we could get something.

I think there is still a chance yet....if the showers pick up and when the temps drop we could get something.

where about do you live? It snowed here not long ago and it was quite heavy and started to stick on the grass and tops of cars but then melted as soon as it stopped, I think we could get a light dusting tonight for sure if this goes on.

• Advertisement

I'm in Maghera. The warm air isn't to arrive late into the morning so there is still plenty of time. I'm not expecting anything big but even a few cm would be possible this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

What's the story up north??? Any snow accumulations to report???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    legomaniac never usually engages in discussing his comments. he come in with his soliloquy and wanders off again.

Munsterlegend - don't personalise things - play the ball not the man as per the charter
    legomaniac wrote: »
    A very unfair comment. I have a good mind to report you to the mods for bullying....

Legomaniac - if you have an issue with a post then ignore, report and let the mods deal with it. Do not react on thread please

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like something a lot more organised approaching the NW/NI/Scotland now. http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Update from met office for NI this evening
    Frequent blustery sleet and snow showers continuing with further accumulations mainly on higher ground. Staying windy although gales easing along the north coast. Icy patches developing on untreated surfaces, Minimum Temperature 0C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Had 20 minutes of light snow earlier here in north Cork, now hailtstone. 198m ASL

I see that area of organised clouds moving into NI on sat24. Very interesting and one to watch as it becomes visible on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A lot of the stations are now automatic which in these situations find it difficult to correctly determine precip type.

I take those weather stations reports on rain/snow with a pinch of salt. Even the net weather chart has shown rain over here but its been full snow and only 100 asl too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I those weather stations reports on rain/snow with a pinch of salt. Even the net weather chart has shown rain over here but its been full snow and only 100 asl too

Yes netweather have said that "green" doesn't mean sleet as most people would think. It actually means it's rather raining or snowing so not great ha. Wunderground can sometimes give a better indication I've noticed.

Lots of Snow and greyish White clouds in Roscommon at the moment, too wet to settle and temps have dropped to 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nothing but light rain showers in Galway. 40 m asl. Td 2c currently.

New Moon

A lot of the stations are now automatic which in these situations find it difficult to correctly determine precip type.

They are well able to distinguish between rain and snow, but in cases of uncertainty they report "Unidentified Precipitation", or in met.ie speak "Showery Precipitation".

Both Belfast airports are reporting rain with similar dewpoints, and these are manual observations.

I's say if the autos were now reporting snow there would be no questioning them! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Nothing but light rain showers in Galway. 40 m asl. Td 2c currently.

Yes I thought it had got warmer in the past couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DPs rising above freezing in the north as i said earlier warm air filtering back in now. T500s back above -30 bringing down lapse rates.

EDIT : Sferics detected just south of Derry , hopefully someone has an official thundersnow report!

• Advertisement

I just drove to 200m and snow is lying. +0c

Currently snowing here but stopping, temp at my house is 1.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

In my own experience of these type of set ups, snow is more likely fall at lower-levels (below 70m asl) during the night time hours. For what it's worth, the raw GFS 06z output has a better chance of snow showers later Monday and into Tuesday.

New Moon

barney 20v wrote: »
    What's the story up north??? Any snow accumulations to report???

Yes a dusting at 200m. +0c.

FWVT wrote: »
    They are well able to distinguish between rain and snow, but in cases of uncertainty they report "Unidentified Precipitation", or in met.ie speak "Showery Precipitation".

Both Belfast airports are reporting rain with similar dewpoints, and these are manual observations.

I's say if the autos were now reporting snow there would be no questioning them! ;-)

Well it has rain over the high hills here so its not very accurate.
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    DPs rising above freezing in the north as i said earlier warm air filtering back in now. T500s back above -30 bringing down lapse rates.

EDIT : Sferics detected just south of Derry , hopefully someone has an official thundersnow report!

ERm? no they are not, the temp has dropped to 1.0c here. If you look on xcweather even Donegal airport is freezing dew point.
    I'm in Maghera. The warm air isn't to arrive late into the morning so there is still plenty of time. I'm not expecting anything big but even a few cm would be possible this evening

Well the met office have a warning I think. I really think if the temps drop tonight and the showers keep coming we could get a covering because the temp is close to freezing.

More rain at Belfast Aldergrove (81 m), temp 3.4, d.p. -1.2 °C. That trained observer there really needs to get retrained...

FWVT I promise you it is really snowing here. I am not sure what Iancar is talking about mild air for, I have just looked at the Euro 4 and at 6am the 850pha temps are -6c and the dam is 526.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

First shower of sleet now,was snow showers upto an hour ago,near knock airport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Intermittent sleet and snow in Galway all day. Bitingly cold too.

Here's a nice looking CB that was over the bay in the last hour;
    image.jpg

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    In my own experience of these type of set ups, snow is more likely fall at lower-levels (below 70m asl) during the night time hours. For what it's worth, the raw GFS 06z output has a better chance of snow showers later Monday and into Tuesday.

Agreed. I expect to see one or two of those rain reports turn more wintry in a few hours before the activity dies away.

• Advertisement

Really watching that massive cloud off donegal? Is that all rain or it just clouds?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement