Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2020, 22:17   #871
pauldry

Here is Met Eireann map of Ireland radar at 6am

Can see why Sligo had such a hit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200626-220122_Chrome.jpg (627.4 KB, 265 views)
Advertisement
26-06-2020, 22:49   #872
Jpmarn

Risk of thunder tomorrow. Not on any forecasts at all.
(2) thanks from:
26-06-2020, 22:57   #873
M.T. Cranium

Imagine how many pages this thread might have gone, had the heaviest cells moved up over Dublin and or Kildare.

Thunder can do some startling things alright. I recall one very small cell that drifted past my location in Ontario back around summer of 1989 during hot weather, it was probably about 0930 local time and the thing was just a dot of purple on the radar that was on the TV "weather network" station we had pre-internet for radar viewing.

This thing unleashed one lightning bolt that hit a tree a few metres from our house, and it was like a bomb going off. The large tree ended up with one side split in half from that and future work for the arborists. And that's all the cell managed to do in its brief existence. I don't think it dropped any rain or generated any wind gusts. Some here might be thinking, message to MTC from another realm? Quite possibly.

At the other end of the spectrum, in the derecho severe storm event early July 15, 1995 we had twenty minutes of nearly continuous lightning and thunder, so I have experienced that and once was enough for me (that was accompanied by severe gusts and heavy rain eventually although the continuous lightning and thunder started a good ten minutes before the storm arrived).

Now living in the mountains and we get very interesting thunder here with long periods of reverberating echoes off various peaks that surround us on the north, west and south sides of the town (east is all downhill to the Columbia valley).
26-06-2020, 23:02   #874
igCorcaigh

MTC, you tease us.
26-06-2020, 23:06   #875
Jpmarn

On Thursday near my location near Limerick city it was looking like a cell was developing. It was after 5pm. I was working in my garden at the time. About 15 minutes later this cloud had more or less dissipated. I thought we were in for some short period a thunderstorm. It was very warm and humid.

Last edited by Jpmarn; 27-06-2020 at 09:21. Reason: Grammar and date
Advertisement
27-06-2020, 00:49   #876
Captain_Crash

Just heard a crack of thunder in D6, heavy rain shower just passed too
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 00:53   #877
Pangea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
Lightning flashes or sometimes called sheet lightning are the bolts in clouds or behind clouds that create the flash effect.

--------------
They are known as 'openings' here in Donegal. Always assumed everyone else called it that too?
Thanks from:
27-06-2020, 01:19   #878
Monkeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
They are known as 'openings' here in Donegal. Always assumed everyone else called it that too?
Sheet lightening my mother always told me. Dublin

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion