Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Monday 25/3/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    70kg x 5 x 5

B) Tempo Bench Press (4020)
    70kg x 3 x 5 (plus 4 reps of 4th set)

C) Snatch-Grip Block Pull (3" blocks)
    125kg x 5 x 3

D) Face Pulls
    2 x 15

E) Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 2 x 15

Got a dull ache in med delt on second set of tempo bench. Thought I'd be leaving them there but took a longer rest and it seemed to be ok on third set but called it on 4th rep of 4th rather than go full rètard.

Front squats were as solid as you'd expect. As were snatch-grip block pulls.

Tuesday 26/3/2019

A) Elevated Rear Foot Split Squats
    32.5kg DBs x 3 x 8 e/s

B) Tempo High Bar Squat (40X0)
    120kg x 8 x 3

C) DB Row
    30kgs x 3 x 12

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 15

E) Weighted Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 20

Pretty happy to knock out the high bar squats like I did. Depth not an issue but I need to get back into the mobility hard again anyway.

Dropped to 30s for rows because cba going over and back with 32.5 DBs  (supersetted split squat and rows because time). Slowed eccentric for added TUT and squueeeaz.

Last session training/chatting with a group of sound people in Raw who are all a lot stronger than me and who make training good craic.

Friday 29/3/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    65kg x 3 x 8

B) GHR
    5 x 10

C) Pull Ups (lat pulldown in use)
    3 x 12

D) Hack Squat Machine  (no leg extension machine)
    3 x 15

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 55s

Flyefit again today now Raw is finally closed. This would be the next day of training but delt still twingey after tweaking it on Monday so said I'd rest it swap with the bench session for today and rest it another day or two.

Everything was fine. Except no leg extension machine or GHR so did hack squats (because it was free) for quads and ghetto hamstring curls with feet anchored under bed at home after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What flyefit do you go to

bluewolf wrote: »
    What flyefit do you go to

Baggot St at lunch cos it's near work. Have yet to try Portobello. Probably move to Your Fitness down the line

• Advertisement

Sunday 31/3/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    75kg x 5 x 5

72.5kg x 5 x 5

C) Snatch-Grip Block Pull (3" blocks)
    130kg x 5 x 3

D) Face Pulls
    2 x 15

E) Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 2 x 15

Left arm has been at me so moved day 4 up to give it more time before the mid-grip bench and dumbbell incline session to ease back into the volume.

Front squats were solid...again, as they should be. Good depth and got there comfortably, which bodes well

Tempo bench at 72.5kg...was ok. Elbow wasn't too bad the more I got into it.

Beltless snatch-grip pulls were really solid. Was probably cos I was a bit looser training later. Kept eccentric nice and slow. Hello hamstrings.

Trained in Flyefit Portobello, which wasn't too bad given that it was gone past 8pm on a Sunday. Bars aren't brilliant as expected and gaps between safety heights was but much but overall it wasn't terrible. Will see what it's like during the week.

Monday 1/4/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    82.5kg (@8) x 6, 5, 5, 4, 4

B) Incline DB Press
    27.5kgs x 2 x 15

C) Rows
    3 x 12

D) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 15

E) Shrugs
    50kg DBs x 3 x 20

Back in Baggot St...benches heights are too high or too low. Went with the too high option cos too low was basically like a mid range pin press to get the bar out. I've long arms and there's no way I'm lifting the bar out off higher pins with a wide grip. Tight even with a comp grip and even then the scaps aren't tight. But I can't blame today's numbers on that really.

Row machine cos space to do rows was non existent. And also time. Machine with handlebars so essentially a T-bar row. Good back pump.

Saturday 6/4/2019

37.5kg DBs x 4 x 5 e/s

125kg x 8 x 3

C) T-Bar Tow
    +40kg x 3 x 10

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 15

New block. Did a could of isolationy bro workouts since the last day.

Brought my stance in a little halfway through tempo high bar and felt better after.

I do love the T-bar row machine in Flyefit. Movement not just fixed in one plane so feels more natural. Def feel it in the upper back.

Monday 8/4/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    82.5kg (@9) x 7, 5, 6, 5, 5

B) Flat DB Press
    32.5kgs x 2 x 12

C) Pendlay Rows
    70kg x 3 x 10

D) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12

E) Face Pulls
    3 x 12

Made a balls of 5th rep on second set of bench so racked it. Knew a 6th was going to be more like @9.5. Back on track on 3rd set and 4th was more like @8.5. 5th set was the best, technically but that's cos there was a bit of sloppiness on first 2 sets. Stupid sh*t.

Most volume I've done with 32.5s on DB bench so satisfied with that 

Got the weight spot on with the Pendlays. Happy with how tight I kept my form...no momentum rowing. Can be tighter though.

Signed up for Pilates. Had prawn and avocado sambwidges for lunch.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 10/4/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    72.5g x 4 x 5

B) Nordic Hamstring Curls
    5 x 8

C) Weighted Pull Ups
    +15kg x 5 x 5

D) Leg Extension
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 60s

No GHR so did Nordic Hamstring Curls as an alternative. I feel them hit my hamstrings in a big way.

Was supposed to be planks for sets of 30s but nothing heavier than 25kg to use so just went up in time. Will have to ask someone to put a bumper on me for a heavier set of 30s next time.

Slowed the eccentric right down on leg extensions and Jesus the burn had me wobbling about for a minute or two after.

Thursday 11/4/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    80kg x 6 x 4

75kg x 6 x 4

C) Block Pull (3" blocks)
    140kg (@7) x 12, 11, 10, 9, 8

D) Shrugs
    110kg x 2 x 15

E) EZ Bar Curls
    27.5kg x 2 x 15

Done a day early cos I might not be in a position to train for a couple of days and could today.

Paused front squats solid. Left off rehbands cos knee feeling alright after warm up. Been working in keeping upper back tighter & keeping elbows high and it's getting there. And not letting hips up first cos thats a contributory factor in elbows coming down. Done in flats because depth.

Block pulls were good from a technique point of view. Really concentrated on reversing the movement to lower bar and be properly set for next rep. Happy with these. Kept them to RPE 7 pretty well

Elbow tendon at me during curls. Aggravation seems similar to golfer's elbow. Not getting any better so I'd better go get it looked at.

Sunday 14/4/2019

40kg DBs x 4 x 5 e/s

130kg x 8 x 3

C) T-Bar Row
    +42.5kg x 3 x 10

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 15

They brought the final round of The Masters forward so got in at the usual time.

The first rep of the 8 triples is usually a good gauge of how the lot will feel. Knew it was not going to be easy (it's 87% of high bar max) but no issue with getting through it.

Had to make sure to brace hard and then when bracing hard enough, a bit harder. I didn't the last day and, too often, I let myself be pushed forward by the bar. I also need a better internal clock since my 4s eccentric seems to be 5s in practice.

Music died just at the start of last set to make sure everyone heard the fart coming out of the hole, so to speak, on second rep. Most tried to act like they weren't impressed.

Still getting some DOMS in the right places from T-bar row.

Monday 15/4/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    86kg (@9) x 7, 5, 5, 5, 5

B) Flat DB Press
    35kgs x 12
    32.5kgs x 12

C) Pendlay Rows
    72.5kg x 3 x 10

D) OH Tricep Extensions
    3 x 12

E) Face Pulls
    3 x 12

Mid-grip bench was ok. Sloppy first rep on 2nd set cost me a rep PR two. Not a fan of benches with fixed pins. Not everyone is either Stretch Armstrong or a t-rex.

Wasn't sure if the flat DB press would be any heavier than last week but went with 35s and got the first set done. Back to 32.5s for next set

Tuesday 16/4/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    80kg the x 4 x 5

B) GHR
    5 x 8

C) Weighted Pull Ups
    +17.5kg x 5 x 5

D) Leg Extension
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Plank
    +35kg x 3 x 30s

Won't be training again between now and next Sunday so trained  today.

Found a GHR. Well...more of a gHR. Much more of the H and a lot less of the G on it. Was more awkward than the one I was used to...pads are too far forward so barely below your hips.

Was trying to ask someone nearby to help put the extra plate on my back for planks but all busy so managed it myself...fairly smoothly as well. I had assumed I would look like an otter having an epileptic fit on a riverbank but not so. Result.

Sunday 21/4/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    82.5kg x 6 x 4

77.5kg x 6 x 4

145kg (@7) x 12, 11, 11, 10, 9

D) Shrugs
    115kg x 2 x 15

E) Tricep Bar Curls
    2 x 15

Not ideal preparation for today - bus journey from the west after waking up with an aching hip.

Front squats solid enough. Tempo bench was solid enough but need 3 mins between sets...well for last 3 sets anyway.

Felt physically tired on cardio block pulls probably cos not enough food on board and really felt it before 3rd set. But cue anger from wallet that went AWOL, cue music to fan the flames and got through the last 3 sets.

Used Tricep bar for curls instead of EZ Bar to see if it took stress off elbow tendon. Was a bit better. Physio to look at it on Tuesday.

Tuesday 23/4/2019

135kg x 6 x 3 (-1 rep on 5th set)

C) T-Bar Row
    +45kg x 3 x 10

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Side Bend
    45kg x 3 x 15

Went to physio for elbow this morning. Nothing sinister. Lots of unpleasantness though and I will need to work on forearm strength.  Difference in forearm muscles apparently (inb4 obvious fap jokes). So lots of forearm curls, bar rolls, farmers walks, dead hangs at the end of today.

All the dumbbells I wanted for split squats were gone so went down to warm up and do high bar tempo squats. Just as I got to the bottom of 3rd rep on 5th set, something gave in my left knee. Not sore but just like it gave up or something. Gave it a few mins but then doing bodyweight squats I was getting a dart from my knee up my quad. Not pain as such but like a nerve shock. Changed a couple of things (angle of feet) and bodyweight felt ok (still a little something but was ok). Worked back up to 135 again and saw out out the 6th set but it wasn't comfortable and was throwing my form out so I called it. Annoying. Obviously left the split squats as well.

I still love the T-bar row.

Highlight was someone putting on a belt and then supersetting skullcrushers with Inclined press ups. Magic.

Wednesday 24/4/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    90kg (@9) x 5, 4, 5, 4

8) Flat DB Press
    35kgs x 2 x 12

C) Pendlay Rows
    75kg x 3 x 10

D) OH Tricep Extensions
    3 x 12

E) Face Pulls
    3 x 12

Bit of a condensed week cos won't be able to train over weekend.

Was bollixed going in. Got about 3hrs sleep last night, didn't feel able to eat much and finally got a couple of hundred calories on board an hour before training.

First bench work set felt awful...second set was much better apart from he sloppy 4th rep which shouldn't have been the last.

Tendon was a bit annoyed from the forearm work yesterday. First couple of Pendlay reps felt mank.

Thursday 25/4/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    82.5kg x 4 x 5

B) GHR
    5 x 8

C) Weighted Pull Ups
    +22.5kg x 5 x 5

D) Leg Extension
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Plank
    +40kg x 3 x 30s

Single leg RDLs moving slowly but need to keep the weight so the movement is like it should be.

First set of pulls ups burned the shyte out of the elbow but got better. Had intended going with 20kg but no belts and no 20kg DBs so 22.5 it was.

Plank was tough enough as well but some more kilos in there I think.

Sunday 28/4/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    86kg x 6 x 4

82.5kg x 6 x 4

150kg (@7) x 12, 11, 11, 10, 10

D) Shrugs
    120kg x 2 x 15

E) DB Curls
    12.5kgs x 2 x 15

Paused front squats were handy. Best they have been thus cycle. I need to figure out why my right arm is dropping lower than my left.

9211b93ff94e9ff74ccf7bf62453ffaf-full.jpg

Didnt feel off, which is why it was a surprise to see it but needs working on. Depth is grand though and no hip discomfort.

Tempo bench was tough. Next week is going to be worse again. From 3rd set on, the last rep was very slow.

Block pulls moved very well. Felt very consistent. Thought would be a few less reps today - sleep has been shyte - so happy with the numbers. Feels like I've been much better at concentrating on reversing the movement much better to get myself back into a good starting position for next rep. That's probably the biggest positive of this cycle (on pulls) so far.

Used DBs for curls with palms angled slightly towards ground  (when firearms parallel to floor) to minimise elbow irritation. Worked

• Advertisement

Pilates yesterday. Didn't feel like it might do much but hips felt a lot looser after. Bodes well cos signed up for 10 weeks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Went to physio for elbow this morning. Nothing sinister. Lots of unpleasantness though and I will need to work on forearm strength.  Difference in forearm muscles apparently (inb4 obvious fap jokes). So lots of forearm curls, bar rolls, farmers walks, dead hangs at the end of today.

Did the elbow pain come on suddenly? Or did it build up over time?

Do you mean there was an imbalance between forearms muscles on one side, or between right and left?

BossArky wrote: »
    Did the elbow pain come on suddenly? Or did it build up over time?

Do you mean there was an imbalance between forearms muscles on one side, or between right and left?

Just started to notice a niggle and assumed it would pass until it didn't. And gradually became worse.

Imbalance between right and left. Left seemed a bit less muscle.

Seems to be easing now though but maybe that's cos haven't been able to train much this week cos of work.

Thursday 2/5/2019

140kg x 5 x 3

C) T-Bar Row
    +47.5kg x 3 x 10

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Side Bend
    47.5kg x 3 x 15

Forgot my phone with workout on it and completely forgot split squats. Was on hamstring curls when it dawned on me but it was getting late and I superset D and E to get as much done as I could.

I've only ever done a high bar single with 140 on two occasions so add in a 4s eccentric and you need to prepare for battle. It was one. Tiring week and maybe I underestimated it but disappointed I only got to 5. It was one of those thousand years stare jobs where I wondered if it was better to plough on or to be sensible...

Saturday 4/5/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    92.5kg (@9) x 4, 4, 4, 4

8) Flat DB Press
    35kgs x 2 x 12

C) Pendlay Rows
    77.5kg x 3 x 10

D) OH Tricep Extensions
    3 x 12

E) Face Pulls
    3 x 12

This should have been done Friday but card I had registered to get in was at home and didn't have new card yet. Red mist descended.

My God the benches in Baggot St are shíte - you really notice it when you go heavier and have to lift out over pins set too high. No racks free so had to use the supposedly proper bench. Ugh.

DB pressing much stronger this week. Leas grindy.

Good reminder of the benefit of recording even on something like Pendlay Rows. Form was really good from watching back and what changes to make (hips a touch lower, bring head up a touch to keep neutral). They looked pretty tight.

Sunday 5/5/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    85kg x 4 x 5

B) GHR
    +10kg x 5 x 8

C) Weighted Pull Ups
    +25kg x 5 x 5

D) Leg Extension
    3 x 12

E) Weighted Plank
    +50kg x 3 x 30s

RDLs were decent. Have improved slightly week on week.

Foot anchor is higher on the one in Flyefit than it was in Raw, which is probably why it felt harder even with BW. Good hammy pump after.

Burned up the quads with a slow eccentric because pump.

Bit of a jump on planks but wasn't a problem. Was a battle to hold position and not have my hips high or sag and really felt core work deep. Rather have non-bumper 25s cos the top one didn't feel like it was on evenly a couple of times so felt I was a little off centre on one set and possibly about to slide off.

Thursday 9/5/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    90kg x 6 x 4

85kg x 6 x 4

155kg (@7) x 11, 10, 9, 8, 8

D) Shrugs
    130kg x 2 x 15

E) DB Curls
    10kgs x 2 x 15

Have had a few things on the last week or so that have cost me training time.

Paused front squats were really solid again. Better pauses and higher elbows. Really made sure everything moved together. Most volume with front squats was 4 sets of 6 with 87.5 with no pauses. Happy with that.

Tempo bench was tough but no worse than the last day at it.

Realised I forgot to stand on yellow 15kg bumper for block pulls last week so blocks probably 5". Forgot chalk  and was a bit distracted by grip not being as secure as usual. But given all that, im mostly happy with the numbers and form. Sloppy 8th rep on 4th set made it the last rep; should have had another.

No 12.5s for curls so just did a 3030 tempo with 10s. Burn.

Only copped this afternoon that I had finished the block of training the last day. The last couple of weeks, training has been disrupted a good bit cos normally I'd know exactly which week and day of the block I was in.

So just went and sussed out low bar. It's going to be another block or two before I go back to it and it's going to be light for a while cos the mechanics of low bar mean I need to work on the bottom of the squat and being mobile enough to be less uncomfortable to get deep enough. But I think that's doable.

I don't think it's going to be entirely comfortable but it isn't going to cause damage so I can just get on with it and get used to it cos I know I really enjoy squatting...I'm not particularly good at it but I really enjoy it. And that's what it's all about.

Also did some single arm farmers carries...forearm pump and obliques on opposite side got a hammering as well.

Wednesday 15/5/2019

Bit of down time between blocks so did some cardio and grip stuff for elbow problem

C2 Intervals
    10 rounds: 250m row / 75s rest
    Average 48.7s per 250m row

That was tough. It's been maybe 5 months off the rower cos rested anything involving hip flexion. Longer rests than I would have done when rowing more regularly but also haven't done more than 8 rounds before.

Then a boat load of single and double arm farmers walks til my forearms were incinerated.

• Advertisement

Sunday 19/5/2019

A) Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat (40X0)
    40kg x 4 x 5

B) Tempo High Bar Squat (30X0)
    145kg x 3, 3, 2, 2, 1

C) T-Bar Row
    +52.5kg x 3 x 8

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 10

E) Weighted Side Bend
    50kg x 3 x 12

New block. Woop woop! Not huge changes but 3s tempos instead of 4s tempos #spoiled

After the last day of tempo squats felt quite heavy, I wasn't hugely confident about today's squats; it's uncharted territory going for more than a single above 140kg. But last warm up at 130kg moved nicely do back in business. Also, the target being 1-3 helps, mentally.

Depth is borderline but just in, I think. That feeling of where depth is comes earlie now, on one side anyway. Third set, first rep was awful and though about racking it. Second rep moved so well but felt a bit light headed so racked it. Made a balls at the start of last set and I knew going for a second was pushing my luck. Mixed bag.

Machine for hamstring curl feels like it 'bounces' hard out of the concentric so slowed the eccentric to 4s. Hamstrings will know all about that.

Heaviest DB there was 50kg so just slowed the eccentric to 3s on the side bend. DOMS are en route.

Advertisement