Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Plan Movement (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Those who struggle to put meat, chicken or fish on the table cannot give a F@@k about carbon footprint sustainability or branding. Where beef is concerned we can forget about carbon footprint. We have lost that argument​ at present. We have to sell on health and taste. And maybe on taste only. We have to forget about ticking all the boxes. It about branding and creating our own brand. Grass fed as much as possible. Grass is where as Irish farmers we make our money. Ration and grain are break even at best especially from the way processors have treated finisher's over the last 2-3 years. We need to rebrand and forget about 500 kg bulls and rations
    +1 Grass is our usp and that is why Irish butter sells worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Those who struggle to put meat, chicken or fish on the table cannot give a F@@k about carbon footprint sustainability or branding. Where beef is concerned we can forget about carbon footprint. We have lost that argument​ at present. We have to sell on health and taste. And maybe on taste only. We have to forget about ticking all the boxes. It about branding and creating our own brand. Grass fed as much as possible. Grass is where as Irish farmers we make our money. Ration and grain are break even at best especially from the way processors have treated finisher's over the last 2-3 years. We need to rebrand and forget about 500 kg bulls and rations

True, but when the beef prices go back up again, it will be back to finishing bulls in the sheds. Factory price dictates everything.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

True, but when beef pricew goes back up again, it will be back to finishing bulls in the sheds. Factory price dictates everything.

Reminds me of when I used to sow a lot of corn, I reckoned that I was always sorry when I sowed wheat........ some years I was sorry I didn't sow more and other years I was sorry I sowed it at all.
    I think feeding bulls is a bit similar, if there's profit in them there's good profit in them, but they'd rob ya in the bad years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

How do you add value to Beef? Milk is different, with all the different yogurts, spreads etc. Beef sells best in it's purest form, just the packaging added.
    Unless we can add value in terms of proven lower carbon footprints, sustainability etc, what can we do?

The future of beef is about backstory , traceability ,sustainability and taste , Lidll have branded their beef to please Irish consumers and seem to sell a lot of it .
    Not everyone will agree but trying to sell Irish beef in the UK using Bord Bia as a stamp or certification is a waste of time it needs to be a simple reliable branding exercise that UK customers understand .
    I don't think much of an effort is being made because our processors are happy to sell off the bottom shelf and pay farmers less to make their margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Have to disagree about Italian Beef being better. From my experience it’s crap.
    No wonder they have gotten so good at making lovely sauces to cover it up.

It’s super lean and devoid of flavor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to tesco in Banbridge today. Bought 2 strip loin steaks in a pack 7.50 pounds same ones here €6.99. Tbh the Irish tesco steak would taste nicer. But why charge more for the same product in sterling? Northern Irish beef 16.52 pounds per kg.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Went to tesco in Banbridge today. Bought 2 strip loin steaks in a pack 7.50 pounds same ones here €6.99. Tbh the Irish tesco steak would taste nicer. But why charge more for the same product in sterling? Northern Irish beef 16.52 pounds per kg.

Was it british beef or Irish, Processors in England are paying more for cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    Was it british beef or Irish, Processors in England are paying more for cattle
    It says produced and packaged in Northern Ireland

whelan2 wrote: »
    It says produced and packaged in Northern Ireland

Don't know what they're paying up there

The future of beef is about backstory , traceability ,sustainability and taste , Lidll have branded their beef to please Irish consumers and seem to sell a lot of it .
    Not everyone will agree but trying to sell Irish beef in the UK using Bord Bia as a stamp or certification is a waste of time it needs to be a simple reliable branding exercise that UK customers understand .
    I don't think much of an effort is being made because our processors are happy to sell off the bottom shelf and pay farmers less to make their margin.
    I buy the majority of our meat from our local butcher but I treat ourselves every week to ribeye/striploin/sirloin from Lidl's hereford deluxe range either their 28 or 35 day aged. I've never been disappointed with it's quality and taste.

• Advertisement

Bord Bia rep said on monday that English supermarkets don't want to use the Irish label for fear of reprisals from farmers over there, Irish beef being dumped is destroying the price of English beef over there. There was some criticism of us on The Farming Forum five or six weeks ago

wrangler wrote: »
    Bord Bia rep said on monday that English supermarkets don't want to use the Irish label for fear of reprisals from farmers over there, Irish beef being dumped is destroying the price of English beef over there. There was some criticism of us on The Farming Forum five or six weeks ago
    You cannot blame them to be fair. If the shoe was on the other foot we would be up in arms about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's one thing about the British and that's they know quality.

Just look at the posts on Facebook and Twitter about Dexter beef. From the Michelin guide and being served at Chequers.

And where does this Irish native breed beef come from?
    England and Scotland.

I've no affiliation to the breed. But I think it's a pure joke that it doesn't even register as option to producers in it's native country. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just look at the posts on Facebook and Twitter about Dexter beef. From the Michelin guide and being served at Chequers.

England and Scotland.

I've no affiliation to the breed. But I think it's a pure joke that it doesn't even register as option to producers in it's native country. :rolleyes:

Our economy is tiny as is our gourmet food sector. Unless an individual can raise process and market his own dexter beef we have not got the capacity for it to work for lads.

Grueller wrote: »
    Our economy is tiny as is our gourmet food sector. Unless an individual can raise process and market his own dexter beef we have not got the capacity for it to work for lads.

They export kerrygold butter based on taste and appearance and omega 3 benefits around the world.
    And it gets a premium for the processors.

I can't see how a processor wouldn't set up in the breeds home country and try to do a similar story with the beef.

You're right though it'll never be a farmer initiated thing as nearly all beef farmers are part time and time poor or fulltime and cash poor.

England and Scotland.

Dexter Cattle - Go to 7:30 mins on this video from some inside info;

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Grueller wrote: »

This is the crux of the issue regarding dexter and other niche beef products imo. To make such a product a success would require both farming and business-retail management in equal measure. I've considered going down the route of producing rare breed beef but unless I was prepared to promote and market the end product I struggle to see how it would achieve a worthwhile return. A niche product badly marketed is only a commodity by another name imo, I take my hat off to anyone who attempts to carve there own niche but I can't see it working on a large scale.

Dexter Cattle - Go to 7:30 mins on this video from some inside info;

I dunno they just make sense to me especially when they are in demand on the plate.

I mean where do you go for an Irish draft horse?
    Where for a Connemara pony?

Where for a Dexter???

Oh I'll stop now. :pac:

https://twitter.com/hminternational/status/930797903148474368?s=20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Had the misfortune to be in a large supermarket this morning. No wonder people buy everything except plain, healthy food - it was wall-to-wall colours, lights, offers, you-name-it, etc.

The consumer hasn’t a hope. Food is only a necessary evil now during your “retail experience”

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is that Henry ( there will be money in Elephants again ) Burns. I think it is.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Is that Henry ( there will be money in Elephants again ) Burns. I think it is.

he spoke the truth.. I feel he said all Id like to say. I've not had my farm in as better shape ever and doing it all by the so called book. For what, so my job can subside it for a few months of the year.. I'd say if he got his way last time we sat outside the factories we'd have went all out

I'm gonna say something and it may not be popular but I think in relation to the farm payments. It has crossed my mind to become a summer farmer but I think something has to done about that and the lad with the donkeys. They are right in what they are doing just to get payments. no law being broke but its not paying to feed over the winter now so we all cant go buying donkeys or buying in the spring and sell in the back end. I think there should be a livestock limit all year not just for 7 months I think it is now. Might not be popular but it might help the full time man that has to be on his knees at the minute

gerryirl wrote: »
    he spoke the truth.. I feel he said all Id like to say. I've not had my farm in as better shape ever and doing it all by the so called book. For what, so my job can subside it for a few months of the year.. I'd say if he got his way last time we sat outside the factories we'd have went all out

I'm gonna say something and it may not be popular but I think in relation to the farm payments. It has crossed my mind to become a summer farmer but I think something has to done about that and the lad with the donkeys. They are right in what they are doing just to get payments. no law being broke but its not paying to feed over the winter now so we all cant go buying donkeys or buying in the spring and sell in the back end. I think there should be a livestock limit all year not just for 7 months I think it is now. Might not be popular but it might help the full time man that has to be on his knees at the minute

I have no issue with lads working the system. They do less harm than lads feeding cattle for Larry for the fun of it. Lads doing that do not have the impact that some would like to think. Most are not handling huge numbers of cattle. They had nothing to do with the price collapse last Autumn and it continuance right through the winter. The stocking numbers being raised would only get them competing for more cattle and most lads with donkey's and ponies have them all year long. They do not buy calves or weanlings to keep them in the country.

The IFA elections will be along soon. Henry no doubt has an eye on that. There was no big hoha for the last 2-3 years when lads with weanlings took a beating at the marts. But because a few big lads get hammered for gambling (then IMO it was not a gamble but pure stupidity) we need to load the system for them again. Lads overpaying for cattle in the spring is there as long as I can remember.
    When heavy cattle were first cut I remember going to an IFA meeting all those years ago. The bold Henry's rocked into the meeting threw off the jacket rolled up his sleeves to become a common man. His contribution to the complaining faithful was that this was a temporary blip and elephants of cattle would be needed again. That was when I started to lose faith in the IFA because they could not see what way the market was going. Yes they were paid for again on and off but any time there was an oversupply of cattle they got hammered. Most lads caught with bulls this year were at the elephant game again. Speaking to two lads that do bulls all the time both while not overly happy this year with them had them all moved by mid February and took the hit and moved on. But both were killing bulls sub 400 kgs DW not Henry's elephants

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

he

What 7 month rule?

What 7 month rule?

The 7 month rule is for stocking density for the ANC payment. You have to keep cattle for 7 months of the year and have an average stocking density of 0.15LU/HA over the 12 months to draw the payment

Slava Ukrainii

How exactly do you propose this would help the struggling full-time man? It's somewhat confusing to me that even though the so called "7 months men" pay way over the odds for cattle in the spring that it's still not viable to winter stock most years. I don't see how forcing them to keep a certain stock level all year round will alleviate any of the current problems. The full-time beef farmer may be struggling in the last few years but aiming to drag us all down to the lowest common denominator isn't any help. Perhaps if these lads stopped producing a lot of these currently unviable stock there finances would improve.

As I've stated before I think there's at least twice to much beef being produced in this country. Halving the weekly kill may not improve the price but would reduce the need for inputs such as meal, fertilizer and so on dramatically. It's not a great outlook to aim to break even on the stock and to retain the sub as profit but it's still better than many are achieving currently. We need to stop looking down upon the lads with donkeys and the bare bones of stock for the summer, there not producing more unwanted beef and adding fuel to the fire. "Production is vanity, profit is sanity", it's all well and good beating our chests about the "bad" armchair or dairy farmer's or whoever is the lastest enemy but it won't put bread on the table.

Finally I thought that the ANC was only received by those in certain regions and not a country wide measure. If so then this concept of men only buying stock to fulfill the requirements of the scheme is hardly epidemic? I was of the opinion that no livestock are need to claim the BPS just that the land be kept in good agricultural condition. Indeed if many of the full timers on good land where given 40 rushy acres on the side of Arigna or any other mountain and faced with an 8 month winter would they be as eager to persevere with a minimum 12 month stocking rate? I think the conifers or a ass would be sought fairly quickly, even Cromwell drew the line at Connaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

If people had to have stock all year round it would mean building housing for many. If the full time man is on his knees why should others be brought to their knees with expensive housing when ther is no return from the business. 7 months is too long. We have all the schemes geared to protect the environment yet you want the land cut up with cattle on it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

7 months is too long? At .15LU per Ha?
    If that’s the case you’d be better off planting trees on that land and being done with it.

If that’s the case you’d be better off planting trees on that land and being done with it.

Are you serius, that's only the equivalent to a minimum of one ewe to the hectare or one 2 year old bullock to seven hectares.
    Doesn't sound too onerous

• Advertisement

As to whether it's too long is dependent on your land type and housing facilities to be fair. I'd rate our own land here as average if not slightly better than most of the adjoining area. It wouldn't be overstocked and I still wouldn't finish feeding until the 1st of May on average. If I was like a lot of summer grazers locally with limited housing, machinery and no fodder I wouldn't buy stock before this date to ensure they could be let straight to grass. Fast forward 7 months and it's now the first of December, depending on the weather ground conditions may be very poor and it's definitely time to either house or sell the stock. A 5 month winter around here would be very optimistic imo and run a risk of getting caught at either end of the grazing season most years.

Advertisement