Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Plan Movement (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    And it doesn't mean that young farmers are going to be good either, I saw a ''young farmer'' spreading slurry on six inches of grass earlier just because the field was always a silage field and he couldn't be bothered putting a fence round it to graze it.
    Me renting out my entitlements is no more hideous than that guy getting his YF top up

Never did I say young farmers means good farmers. You linked high payments to "good suckler farmers". Stocking fates of 17 years ago are a mental way to distribute eu funds today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    Never did I say young farmers means good farmers. You linked high payments to "good suckler farmers". Stocking fates of 17 years ago are a mental way to distribute eu funds today.

Maybe, but it will be to the detriment of agriculture to turn it into a non means tested social welfare payment for owning land either.
    I see BPM is protesting next week at our Farmers Journal beef summit, That has to be the saddest idea so far.....like wtf. What's the point, are IFJ buying cattle now
    Dlsappointed now that I can't be there, absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Anoither idea that Beef Plan might consider using .
    Was looking this evening at souece of fruit & vegetables ( found it hard to locate such from Ireland )
    For seome time now we have been using Fairtarde fruit & vegetables & thought how Fairtarde seems not to apply in Irealnd.
    Below is the first paragraph from the Fair trade organisation.
    "Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world. By requiring companies to pay sustainable prices (which must never fall lower than the market price), Fairtrade addresses the injustices of conventional trade, which traditionally discriminates against the poorest, weakest producers. It enables them to improve their position and have more control over their lives."
    Surely the beef farmers of Ireland need to trade under a (" Fairtrade Regime ) "whereby they get a fair price for their animals.
    Any thoughts anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

And it doesn't mean that young farmers are going to be good either, I saw a ''young farmer'' spreading slurry on six inches of grass earlier just because the field was always a silage field and he couldn't be bothered putting a fence round it to graze it.
    Me renting out my entitlements is no more hideous than that guy getting his YF top up
    Saw a neighbour that’s farming for 50 years at the same craic two weeks ago. Maybe the young lad has an excuse (lack of experience/knowledge), the old lad has none. Many’s the lad getting Hugh payments and the ragwort growing across the ditches.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Saw a neighbour that’s farming for 50 years at the same craic two weeks ago. Maybe the young lad has an excuse (lack of experience/knowledge), the old lad has none. Many’s the lad getting Hugh payments and the ragwort growing across the ditches.

Yea, I know a guy that bought a lot of good land that he thought had development potential in the celtic tiger years,...... all growing weeds now.
    His BPS is increasing now every year due to convergence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Grueller wrote: »
    High value entitlements don't equal a good farmer today. It means that at one point in time that farmer was very active. That is not necessarily the case since then.

Lots stacked them in the last round as to give up some leased ground

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Track9 wrote: »
    Anoither idea that Beef Plan might consider using .
    Was looking this evening at souece of fruit & vegetables ( found it hard to locate such from Ireland )
    For seome time now we have been using Fairtarde fruit & vegetables & thought how Fairtarde seems not to apply in Irealnd.
    Below is the first paragraph from the Fair trade organisation.
    "Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world. By requiring companies to pay sustainable prices (which must never fall lower than the market price), Fairtrade addresses the injustices of conventional trade, which traditionally discriminates against the poorest, weakest producers. It enables them to improve their position and have more control over their lives."
    Surely the beef farmers of Ireland need to trade under a (" Fairtrade Regime ) "whereby they get a fair price for their animals.
    Any thoughts anyone ?

Beef plan have written on this many times.
    Also articles 38 to 44 of lisbon treaty promises a fair return to farmers for produce.
    EU candidates should answer how they would deliver on this.

Check this out on Agriland - Beef Plan: ‘Fair Trade’ needs to begin at home - https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/beef-plan-fair-trade-ethics-need-to-begin-at-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Good day in Dublin, Good turnout also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Good day in Dublin, Good turnout also

Yer man with the Irish flag and scarf was great crack. Really got the crowd going. Not sure if he's a finisher or just suckler!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭older by the day

Yer man with the Irish flag and scarf was great crack. Really got the crowd going. Not sure if he's a finisher or just suckler!!!

Good on ye for going. I'm near skibb and mixed farming and I'm glad that it brought the some attention to the beef sector. It's a pity the ifa were not backing you more. Anyway good on ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah i went in to the protest good turnout delighted i went

Good on ye for going. I'm near skibb and mixed farming and I'm glad that it brought the some attention to the beef sector. It's a pity the ifa were not backing you more. Anyway good on ye.

I'd be very disappointed if they did back them, It's not in farmers interest to undermine Irish produce or Bord Bias promotions,
    I've been at plenty of world trade protests over the last 20 years ........ I wonder how many yesterday could say that.

I'd be very disappointed if they did back them, It's not in farmers interest to undermine Irish produce or Bord Bias promotions,
    I've been at plenty of world trade protests over the last 20 years ........ I wonder how many yesterday could say that.

World trade protests drawing expenses from the small farmers subscriptions like the rest of the big boys

World trade protests drawing expenses from the small farmers subscriptions like the rest of the big boys

Never was allowed draw expenses for protests,
    typical attitude though, it's why farmers are where they are now,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While I do not totally agree with the way the BPM is going I do think they are a breath of fresh air. They seem to have had about 3500 at the protest yesterday. This was a fair achievement by an organisation that has very little of a full time structure.

The problem with farming is everyone is entitled to the margin except the farmer. Its interesting that the FJ has it that Supermarket prices for beef in the UK have risen this year even though EU beef prices to farmers have fallen. We have a situation where beef prices are at there lowest for about 6-7 years and yet the price is increasing in Supermarkets in the UK. Yet processors are telling us there is no demand and every Monday for the last 5 weeks every factory has dropped prices by 5c/kg in unison. Yet we are told there is competition in the sector. We are told that Feedlot cattle have no impact on the price yet at present there is a cohort of ABP, Dawn and Kepak plants quoting a price to farmers supliers that will be 8-12c/kg below there average base price when we see the returns in 2 weeks time

Now we read in the FI last Tuesday that processors are determined to reduce the store price this autumn so that winter finishers might be encouraged to fill there sheds again. They do not give a f@@k so why should we give a f@@k. At present it is immaterial what board bia is doing as it is of no advantage to the farmers the processors and UK retailers are creaming it. So if it all goes belly WGAF as at the moment we are fast approching brazilian prices

Slava Ukrainii

While I do not totally agree with the way the BPM is going I do think they are a breath of fresh air. They seem to have had about 3500 at the protest yesterday. This was a fair achievement by an organisation that has very little of a full time structure.

The problem with farming is everyone is entitled to the margin except the farmer. Its interesting that the FJ has it that Supermarket prices for beef in the UK have risen this year even though EU beef prices to farmers have fallen. We have a situation where beef prices are at there lowest for about 6-7 years and yet the price is increasing in Supermarkets in the UK. Yet processors are telling us there is no demand and every Monday for the last 5 weeks every factory has dropped prices by 5c/kg in unison. Yet we are told there is competition in the sector. We are told that Feedlot cattle have no impact on the price yet at present there is a cohort of ABP, Dawn and Kepak plants quoting a price to farmers supliers that will be 8-12c/kg below there average base price when we see the returns in 2 weeks time

Now we read in the FI last Tuesday that processors are determined to reduce the store price this autumn so that winter finishers might be encouraged to fill there sheds again. They do not give a f@@k so why should we give a f@@k. At present it is immaterial what board bia is doing as it is of no advantage to the farmers the processors and UK retailers are creaming it. So if it all goes belly WGAF as at the moment we are fast approching brazilian prices

BPM is doing nothing different than IFA did,Wexford IFA carried a coffin in a blizzard from Pheonix Park to Kildare St in a protest twenty years ago and BPM think they invented that, it didn't work then it won't work now, Processor will take in cattle the same as always on monday and give what they like, they'll make their margin.
    I can't believe that BPM think independent politicians make a difference, of course they'll say what you tell them to say, of course they'll agree with you but they carry no clout. They might as well be talking about the weather
    If I was a processor I wouldn't give a damn what farmers thought or did as long as the cattle kept coming every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

BPM is doing nothing different than IFA did,Wexford IFA carried a coffin in a blizzard from Pheonix Park to Kildare St in a protest twenty years ago and BPM think they invented that, it didn't work then it won't work now, Processor will take in cattle the same as always on monday and give what they like, they'll make their margin.
    I can't believe that BPM think independent politicians make a difference, of course they'll say what you tell them to say, of course they'll agree with you but they carry no clout. They might as well be talking about the weather
    If I was a processor I wouldn't give a damn what farmers thought or did as long as the cattle kept coming every morning

While I do agree with your comments at the end of your post there I don’t agree with your views on the BPM to some degree. Yes the have not invented anything new but what they are doing is trying to do something. The ifa are missing in action and I’m an ifa member . What have they done the last year . Yes they lobbied etc . Where is the ifa of old where is the fight gone . There like a school boy in the yard kicking stones around while the big boys play football .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How much of UK price increases could be down to increased cold storage costs etc. Lots of competition for space especially with Christmas preparation needing to start earlier

gerryirl wrote: »
    While I do agree with your comments at the end of your post there I don’t agree with your views on the BPM to some degree. Yes the have not invented anything new but what they are doing is trying to do something. The ifa are missing in action and I’m an ifa member . What have they done the last year . Yes they lobbied etc . Where is the ifa of old where is the fight gone . There like a school boy in the yard kicking stones around while the big boys play football .

Why continue with protests when they are futile, waste everybodies time, that was becoming apparent ten years ago,
    Ifa are constantly lobbying politicians, this week they had the politicians into the Davenport hotel on wednesday. There's also a delegation in Europe this week, Ireland has to get some support from other countries to make any impression now against this trade agreement.
    You only have to go back through posts on boards here to see the huge criticism when a protest was arranged, protesting is dead now, it's just as useless led by BPM as it was led by IFA
    BPM showing no more initiative than IFA will prove that their criticism of IFA is Bulls..t and only an effort to goad IFA when they're too lazy/cowardly to do it themselves. They said they'd disrupt supplies to the factories, time for them to get their finger out now methinks

• Advertisement

So do you think what the ifa are at now(whatever that is) is better than what the BPM is at

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

I know wrangler addressed this already but as a current IFA officer I really take exception to this kind of misinformed statement. I’ve no problem with some of the criticism I’ve been hearing about perceived IFA inaction. In fact I think we can expect nothing more as we have just not been good enough in the communications dept. However statements like the above when they appear online or in social media are being swallowed up as fact. NO ONE claims or is allowed claim expenses for a protest/demonstration END OF. I hope people take this on board as good decent people’s reputations are being unfairly damaged by such speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Why continue with protests when they are futile, waste everybodies time, that was becoming apparent ten years ago,
    Ifa are constantly lobbying politicians, this week they had the politicians into the Davenport hotel on wednesday. There's also a delegation in Europe this week, Ireland has to get some support from other countries to make any impression now against this trade agreement.
    You only have to go back through posts on boards here to see the huge criticism when a protest was arranged, protesting is dead now, it's just as useless led by BPM as it was led by IFA
    BPM showing no more initiative than IFA will prove that their criticism of IFA is Bulls..t and only an effort to goad IFA when they're too lazy/cowardly to do it themselves. They said they'd disrupt supplies to the factories, time for them to get their finger out now methinks

You where lauding it over them not so long ago over their inability to gather numbers and protest, now that they have and made national headlines you have changed stance again and are still dismissing them out of hand....
    It’s pretty obvious that the current fg government has abandoned agriculture, zero point in lobbying creed/Leo and co, likewise in European circles...
    It needs to be conveyed across to the factories processors and our state bodies that farmers are done with been glorified slave labor, and if for instance the beef sector is finished the onus is on the government to bring in environmental schemes and create viable industries like bio-fuels/digesters etc to keep rural Ireland alive and not morph into dead zones

Coonagh wrote: »
    I know wrangler addressed this already but as a current IFA officer I really take exception to this kind of misinformed statement. I’ve no problem with some of the criticism I’ve been hearing about perceived IFA inaction. In fact I think we can expect nothing more as we have just not been good enough in the communications dept. However statements like the above when they appear online or in social media are being swallowed up as fact. NO ONE claims or is allowed claim expenses for a protest/demonstration END OF. I hope people take this on board as good decent people’s reputations are being unfairly damaged by such speculation.

Thanks for replying .at least we know the IFA are still in existence .....ill get my coat

So do you think what the ifa are at now(whatever that is) is better than what the BPM is at

I know that pussy footing around at protests isn't worth a f....
    I led a group that stopped road construction until we got a better deal (which incidentally changed the terms of land aquisition for roads for the first time since the brits thought them up) , That's the sort of radical action thats needed.
    Only for Groups like IFA we'd be twenty years into a similar trade agreement to the mercusor,
    What sickens me is farmers that wouldn't bother their backside for other farmers criticising those who do, you're whingeing about voluntary officers not keeping the pressure on even though they have their own farms to look after and you wouldn't bother your backside yourself.
    I've said it many times here myself it's farmers on the ground that'll win the war against the factories, no point in a group getting a commitment from processor to improve prices and then a farmer takes 10c/kg less.
    As for BPM vs IFA, BPM have to do better than IFA or get outa the way while they've still some dignity left

I'm sure there's plenty of press releases going out but farming is no longer newsworthy. Between 1995 when I was county secretary and 2012 when I was county Chair there was a big difference in getting into papers also farmers don't buy the IFJ so they haven't a clue what's going on........ and of course can't be bothered getting involved or going to meetings as well.
    As for protests, voluntary officers should never have to go to protests, they do enough apart from attending protests, the sad thing is that if they didn't go there'd be no one at a a lot of them

That's grand so then. We will all just sit back and wait and won't bother protesting. While your busy thinking up schemes like the new GLAS and the beef grid. Make sure to look after the big SFP for the big guys. Don't dare cap that . No change there anyway.

That's grand so then. We will all just sit back and wait and won't bother protesting. While your busy thinking up schemes like the new GLAS and the beef grid. Make sure to look after the big SFP for the big guys. Don't dare cap that . No change there anyway.

Officers are all elected by members, they wouldn't be elected if they didn't represent their counties, there's meetings in every county every month, so your comments are pathetic and begrudging,
    I was well represented and have only 50 Has, so I'm not one of your so called ''big guys'' Maybe you should look inside your own farm gate if you're in a mess.
    There's lots of farmers getting money out of Glas.
    You mustn't be on here long if you haven't seen the whingeing and begrudgery on here when I'd be flagging protests in the past......there was anything but good support for them...How the f..k could anyone represent yous, the present national officers have my sympathy, how many time has it been said on here that protests were vote seeking etc etc.
    You want schemes and when ye get them there's a whinge, go on teh dole if ye want something for nothing .....childish or what

I know that pussy footing around at protests isn't worth a f....
    I led a group that stopped road construction until we got a better deal (which incidentally changed the terms of land aquisition for roads for the first time since the brits thought them up) , That's the sort of radical action thats needed.
    Only for Groups like IFA we'd be twenty years into a similar trade agreement to the mercusor,
    What sickens me is farmers that wouldn't bother their backside for other farmers criticising those who do, you're whingeing about voluntary officers not keeping the pressure on even though they have their own farms to look after and you wouldn't bother your backside yourself.
    I've said it many times here myself it's farmers on the ground that'll win the war against the factories, no point in a group getting a commitment from processor to improve prices and then a farmer takes 10c/kg less.
    As for BPM vs IFA, BPM have to do better than IFA or get outa the way while they've still some dignity left

lets not make this personal please. you dont know me or what ive done for farming and for the record I have gained substantial funding for the local farming community a number of months ago so yes i did get off my arse and do something so i think I have just as good a right as anyone to criticise where I see fit

• Advertisement

lets not make this personal please. you dont know me or what ive done for farming and for the record I have gained substantial funding for the local farming community a number of months ago so yes i did get off my arse and do something so i think I have just as good a right as anyone to criticise where I see fit
    I know of great men who gave loads of time and effort and I would no way insult them or you my friend. But as a union it's not representing me or most family farms. And as most here work long awkward hours forums like this are the way we vent our frustration with the IFA as the biggest farming union.

Advertisement