Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

They quickly dropped the format of it having a different host every night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

bobbyss wrote: »
    Katy Hannon is presenting this now. I just find her accent a bit off putting. She's somewhat dull. I much prefer a presenter with a bit of personality.

Imo Katie is poor at presenting a whole show. I thought she was great when contributing to Prime Time issues but I thought her filling in on Drivetime and previous Late Debates were very stilted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Was Fionnuala Sweeney quietly shown the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Listened last night for the first time in a long while. Katie seemed lost to me, just not the right structure for her, I do enjoy her when she appears on primetime but not the radio format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

My sweet divine Jeebus, that one Louise O’Reilly is some annoying person.

Could not take any more of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

My sweet divine Jeebus, that one Louise O’Reilly is some annoying person.

Could not take any more of her.
    And she's always available to give her opinion. Everybody should remember her on the Claire Byrne radio show when she didn't see a problem with Jerry McCabe being murdered because there was a conflict going on.

honeybear wrote: »
    Imo Katie is poor at presenting a whole show. I thought she was great when contributing to Prime Time issues but I thought her filling in on Drivetime and previous Late Debates were very stilted.
    I came here just to say this. Katie Hannon was fantastic on PT, but seems allows Late Debate to descend into a brunch chat with mates.

The coverage of serious political issues is dire. I'm really surprised, she seems like a great journalist, but this is probably the worst Late Debate has ever been. KH seems to think shes presenting a chat show, not a serious political debate.

Claire Byrne, Audrey Carville and Cormac Ó hEadhra were perfect for this slot. The current show is tragically bad, I really hope RTÉ do something about it.

KH seems to think shes presenting a chat show, not a serious political debate.

Yes a format like Elaine Crowleys show, she wouldn't even suit the Daithi & Maura type setup. I would have that tv show on series link in a heartbeat......

Aska wrote: »
    Yes a format like Elaine Crowleys show, she wouldn't even suit the Daithi & Maura type setup. I would have that tv show on series link in a heartbeat......

I don't own a TV (honest, Mr Licence Man), was that a compliment of KH or a criticism?!

• Advertisement

I don't own a TV (honest, Mr Licence Man), was that a compliment of KH or a criticism?!

The Elaine format is mainly her or sometimes Ruth Scott and 3 guests so Katie would be the host in a similar type show but don't get me wrong the content of the Elaine show is not something Katie should be doing (dog bites bride etc.... ) but that set up in a more political show, maybe Aine Lawlors job on this week in politics (cause she is on lots of bloody shows, like the ploughing etc.)

Aska wrote: »
    The Elaine format is mainly her or sometimes Ruth Scott and 3 guests so Katie would be the host in a similar type show but don't get me wrong the content of the Elaine show is not something Katie should be doing (dog bites bride etc.... ) but that set up in a more political show, maybe Aine Lawlors job on this week in politics (cause she is on lots of bloody shows, like the ploughing etc.)

Ploughing is...ahem.....once a year.

Lookit.... on the LD... it’s format encourages everyone to try and talk over their counterparts and when you get someone like Louise O Reilly who just tries to keep going no matter what( she’s not the only one) it’s a recipe for poor radio.

Don’t know really what the answer is but letting them out on a ‘long leash’ doesn’t work.

It’s just a wall of unintelligible sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I miss Vincent Browne...

Ploughing is...ahem.....once a year.

Lookit.... on the LD... it’s format encourages everyone to try and talk over their counterparts and when you get someone like Louise O Reilly who just tries to keep going no matter what( she’s not the only one) it’s a recipe for poor radio.

Don’t know really what the answer is but letting them out on a ‘long leash’ doesn’t work.

It’s just a wall of unintelligible sound.
    But that's always been an issue for LD, Audrey Carville and Cormac 'Hang On, Hang On' Ó hEadhra managed to keep it on track. They did a great job, it was one of the best political programmes on radio or TV.

My problem with LD these days is that there's an awful lot of slack and friendly chat instead of any serious, substantive debate. The quality has gone way down, and maybe that's because there's no full-time presenter.

But that's always been an issue for LD, Audrey Carville and Cormac 'Hang On, Hang On' Ó hEadhra managed to keep it on track. They did a great job, it was one of the best political programmes on radio or TV.

My problem with LD these days is that there's an awful lot of slack and friendly chat instead of any serious, substantive debate. The quality has gone way down, and maybe that's because there's no full-time presenter.

Yes, cant argue with that.Noticed that with O’Reilly and Hannon last night,kind of joshing with each other.

Might need a full time presenter to ,perhaps, put his/her stamp on it, and stay aloof from exchanges, if that’s the right word.

You're fierce hard on O'Reilly, Brendan. I accept she speaks her fair share of scutter, but no more than Hugh O'Connell, Fergus O'Dowd, Miriam O'Callaghan's brother, or any of the other regulars.

honeybear wrote: »
    I miss Vincent Browne...
    We all do. I'm surprised he gave up writing for the Irish Times. Seems to have totally disappeared from the public eye, apart from the occasional attendance at public events.

Himself and Nell McCafferty shouldn't have been allowed to retire. Often disagreed with both of them, but absolutely stellar broadcasters and writers.

I believe VB is still working on a biography of CJ Haughey, mind you.

You're fierce hard on O'Reilly, Brendan. I accept she speaks her fair share of scutter, but no more than Hugh O'Connell, Fergus O'Dowd, Miriam O'Callaghan's brother, or any of the other regulars.

I forking hate that accent Tyrant, absolutely hate it , but I did say she wasn’t the only one.

Now last night, most of the others were fairly soft spoken which helped her.

She’s probably a nice person, but I am being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I thought Late Date did have a full time presenter who is on maternity leave at the moment?

I think Katie does ok, but seems to lack the innate ability to stoke up a good old row, the bit of divilment the likes of vinny would bring to the table. Even this hospital discussion tonight seems staid and half-arsed when there is so much potential for fireworks. She should be lighting the spark, not dousing it anytime she gets the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'd prefer if the LD changed its format and concentrated on other important social and political topics - Ireland 2040 analysis, immigration, globalization etc.
    Its format now is simply a regurgitation of the topics well worn out by SOR, drive time, news at one, morning Ireland etc

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the LD changed its format and concentrated on other important social and political topics - Ireland 2040 analysis, immigration, globalization etc.
    Its format now is simply a regurgitation of the topics well worn out by SOR, drive time, news at one, morning Ireland etc

Hmmm you forget that us folk out sledding the 50 and stuff like that don’t get to hear these programmes, always.

It’s a way that folk who are busy all day have to catch up on events of the day.

That said , the LD format is the most difficult format for a presenter to control.

Auld Vinnie had it sussed ... pack the panel with lefties, invite some poor gloamer from FG onto the panel...josh with the lefties laughing and joking then turn on the poor FG er and tear him/ her assunder,before letting the dogs loose on the poor person while sitting back laughing.

That was the way Vinnie did it...... no problems there:D

Hmmm you forget that us folk out sledding the 50 and stuff like that don’t get to hear these programmes, always.

It’s a way that folk who are busy all day have to catch up on events of the day.

Accept that. Though I only listen to any of the above, and radio in general, in podcast form - but that's just me.

Holy divine.... I tune into the LD again and Fitzmaurice is in it again

He was on VM 3 last night, going on with the same auld crap” We need to make sure...blada blada blada”

Telling people what they already know, over and over again

Have these people no one else to put on, who might have some insight into what’s happening.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I used to enjoy Late Debate since I am a radio person. But gave up after a long while because there was far too much SHOUTING and not much SUBSTANCE. Ugh.

Anyway late night radio is for anoraks like some of us like me. But honestly some of the guests are just meh.

But Local and EU elections beckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Double posts happening for me all day. Fed up with this now. Anyone else affected?

And I now have to contact an Administrator to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Katie Hanson has announced that tonight was her last night on LD.
    Wonder who will be on next week....please not Sarah McInerney

kazamo wrote: »
    Katie Hanson has announced that tonight was her last night on LD.
    Wonder who will be on next week....please not Sarah McInerney
    Isn't Sarah McInerney one of the official hosts, but out on maternity leave?

Whatever happened to the tripartite presentation of the show by Hannon, McInerney, and some other presenter with an English accent?

Isn't Sarah McInerney one of the official hosts, but out on maternity leave?

Whatever happened to the tripartite presentation of the show by Hannon, McInerney, and some other presenter with an English accent?

Abandoned, if memory serves me correctly.

Was I listening to the LD on Thursday and Katie Hannon was the chair.

Just folk shouting over each other, each one determined not to give free air to the other.

Terrible moderation, total chaos.

Why the fuhhrke can they not sort this out?

Just folk shouting over each other, each one determined not to give free air to the other.

Terrible moderation, total chaos.

Why the fuhhrke can they not sort this out?
    I reckon politicians become quite giddy at that time of night, perhaps having been well-lubricated between the end of Oireachtas business and the 10pm broadcast.

Mind you, Audrey Carville was well able to control her class when she was in charge. Byrne, O'hEadhra and Hannon always seemed pretty rudderless.

Saturday View suffers pretty much the same problem despite airing at 1pm, and it's worth noting that the previous and current presenters are Byrne and O' hEadhra respectively.

I don't think they quite appreciate how off-putting it is to hear several commentators and politicians braying down the mics at once.

• Advertisement

I reckon politicians become quite giddy at that time of night, perhaps having been well-lubricated between the end of Oireachtas business and the 10pm broadcast.

Mind you, Audrey Carville was well able to control her class when she was in charge. Byrne, O'hEadhra and Hannon always seemed pretty rudderless.

Saturday View suffers pretty much the same problem despite airing at 1pm, and it's worth noting that the previous and current presenters are Byrne and O' hEadhra respectively.

I don't think they quite appreciate how off-putting it is to hear several commentators and politicians braying down the mics at once.

Well I agree totally Tee, it’s not off-putting it’s infuriating especially if you have someone like Louise O’Reilly.

If Ireland ever send someone to the moon I nominate Louise as she doesn’t seem to need oxygen just talks without breathing in a Katie Taylor like delivery.

Surely a good presenter should sort this out prior to airtime, persistent offenders noted and never invited back and told this.

Duddnt seem rocket science to this poster.

Though broadly she's fine, I would prefer a harder line taken on some topics - it seems a bit giddy with her at the helm.
    Hannon was a useful as a chocolate fireguard this week though. Two politicos start going at each other - can't hear a word. She starts calling for 'one voice at a time' so everyone starts bleeting on into the mics. Total mess.
    Still wish this show would ditch repeating the topics of the day (and its regular Brexit slot) and focus on more broad society topics (debating social housing / welfare / migration / where the country is going, and whatever you're having yourself) - between SOR, Drivetime, News at One and Morning Ireland all the core topics are well covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I find the programme repetitive and boring. She's boring too. Very little personality to carry things along. No sports chat I don't think. Any TV reviews etc? The programme needs to broaden out. It's all Oireachteas stuff and boring TDs.

I find the programme repetitive and boring. She's boring too. Very little personality to carry things along. No sports chat I don't think. Any TV reviews etc? The programme needs to broaden out. It's all Oireachteas stuff and boring TDs.

It's only on for an hour tbf - limited in what they can cover.
    They possibly could look to the Irish Times and independent podcasts for a good format.
    Very good one recently with Clare Daly. Relaxed, informative and found myself agreeing with Daly - which I very much otherwise wouldn't - worth a listen

Diceicle wrote:
    It's only on for an hour tbf - limited in what they can cover. They possibly could look to the Irish Times and independent podcasts for a good format. Very good one recently with Clare Daly. Relaxed, informative and found myself agreeing with Daly - which I very much otherwise wouldn't - worth a listen

The impression I get is that they talk endlessly about stuff already covered. I just think they need to lighten up and interject some sport, tv reviews or whatever.

???

It's a one-hour political programme. Why on earth would they be doing TV reviews? They cover sports stories insofar as they are major news items in themselves (whether to do with the GAA, rugby, women's boxing (Katie Taylor) , John Delaney and the FAI, etc) but the show would lose all focus if they attempted a magazine format.

Theres nothing wrong with the format of the show, in my view, they just need a presenter who is capable of moderating a panel discussion. Katie Hannon is an excellent investigative journalist, but not a debate-moderator.

• Advertisement

The impression I get is that they talk endlessly about stuff already covered. I just think they need to lighten up and interject some sport, tv reviews or whatever.

Agree with the first part but not the second.

It's a one-hour political programme. Why on earth would they be doing TV reviews? They cover sports stories insofar as they are major news items in themselves (whether to do with the GAA, rugby, women's boxing (Katie Taylor) , John Delaney and the FAI, etc) but the show would lose all focus if they attempted a magazine format.

I think there's too much pure politics on the programme and for that reason they should change it to a magazine type of programme which for this listener is of more interest.

If it's a politics programme then why feature Katie Taylor at all? If it's featuring her because it's a news item in itself then it's by definition not only about politics. Ditto for the GAA.

And if they talk about stuff other than politics then why not do film, tv etc?

I think there's too much pure politics on the programme and for that reason they should change it to a magazine type of programme which for this listener is of more interest.

If it's a politics programme then why feature Katie Taylor at all? If it's featuring her because it's a news item in itself then it's by definition not only about politics. Ditto for the GAA.

And if they talk about stuff other than politics then why not do film, tv etc?
    For a very practical reason, I suggest.

Between the end of Drivetime at 7pm, and the broadcast of Late Debate at 10pm, a lot can have happened in the news cycle. TV, arts and music have already been covered between RTE Arena and the John Creedon show. But Oireachtas business will often only just have concluded, and it's still only 5pm in the USA. That's why the TV equivalents, Prime Time/Claire Byrne /Tonight Show also air quite late.

Criticisms of the show's recent and current presenters are definitely valid, but suggesting that they should squeeze a magazine programme into the format, in that tight little window ... Yikes.

Between the end of Drivetime at 7pm, and the broadcast of Late Debate at 10pm, a lot can have happened in the news cycle. TV, arts and music have already been covered between RTE Arena and the John Creedon show. But Oireachtas business will often only just have concluded, and it's still only 5pm in the USA. That's why the TV equivalents, Prime Time/Claire Byrne /Tonight Show also air quite late.

Well you would certainly get the impression that nothing happens at all between those times as far as I am concerned. Often the first item on the programme has been the first item on the six k click news.

In any event I personally would like a break from all the politics and a bit of a sports injection would be welcomed. Unfortunately she knows nothing about sport. There's no dedicated sport segment which offers a bit of depth right through from ... well I don't know really. Sure we have Des
    popping up along the place but that's only snippets taken from newagencies.

Well you would certainly get the impression that nothing happens at all between those times as far as I am concerned. Often the first item on the programme has been the first item on the six k click news.

In any event I personally would like a break from all the politics and a bit of a sports injection would be welcomed.
    Between RTE Radio 1 and 2FM, the arts, music and sport are well covered between 7pm and 10pm weeknights (Arena, John Creedon, and Game On, respectively)

Political news should be a priority thereafter, and of all the criticisms of Late Debate, their lack of sports and music coverage is a pretty weak one, I suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Is the Late Debate gone again?

I know it was on last week with the American election.

Big political day so turned it on to hear Panty Bliss.

Watching Matt Cooper on TV3 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Clon63 wrote: »

Two doses!

Out of the frying pan ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Clon63 wrote: »

According to the RTE website:

DUE TO GOVERNMENT LEVEL 5 RESTRICTIONS ON UNNECESSARY TRAVEL, THE PROGRAMME IS CURRENTLY ON A BREAK

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-late-debate/

When the initial Coronavirus Lockdown and severe domestic travel restrictions were first eased last summer, I don't recall "The Late Debate" coming back probably because the Dáil was about to go for it's summer recess. However; one would have thought it would still be possible to run this programme as guests do not have to be live in studio. We have things like Telephones, Video Calling and other ways to communicate. How does "Off The Ball" on NewsTalk 106-108 manage or Niall Boylan at Night on Classic Hits 4FM manage during the same restrictions? The Late Late Show on RTÉ One TV is still airing albeit; without a live studio audience but it still has guest contributors invited on to chat with Ryan Tubridy! A preview of the newspapers could also be given more airtime and other tweaks while travel restrictions are in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Time to bring Back JK and The Classic Rock Show!!

it sure beats "It was better in the XYZ..." or Panti Bliss, again -think that series is on its second repeat cycle now

I used enjoy "Tonight with Vincent Browne" on weeknights which used go out on RTÉ Radio 1 in the 2000's prior to his move to TV3 now Virgin Media One. Vinny B also had a series called the "Midnight Court" also around the same period while working at Radio 1. Talk radio broadcast live from Ireland during late evenings is erratic. There was a time when Radio 1, NewsTalk and other local independent radio stations did LIVE late night. Now RTÉ has pulled back using COVID-19 as an excuse, Newstalk axed shows like "Late Night Live with Declan Carty", Marc Coleman (former NewsTalk Business Editor) did 2-3 nights a week for a while and you also had a Sunday night show whose presenter names I've forgotten but I think it was a double-act. In Cork, RedFm 106 had a live show called: "Cork Talk's Back" first presented by Charlie Wolf/later replaced by Victor Barry. Now most speech shows broadcast in late evenings are shows which had been broadcast earlier during daytime. Classic Hits (formerly 4FM) does have Niall Boylan but a lot of repeat shows or repeat segments.

In contrast, in the UK you have BBC Radio Five Live, LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation), Talk Radio and recently launched TimesRadio broadcasting live late night talk shows between 10-10:30-01:00am X 7 Nights a week! https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is there really a need for "The Late Debate" anymore? What are its listener figures?

The groundbreaking days of Tonight with Vincent Browne are long gone..

Is there really a need for "The Late Debate" anymore? What are its listener figures?

The groundbreaking days of Tonight with Vincent Browne are long gone..

I would think that listener figures for "The Late Debate" are probably dropping and this is hardly helped while RTÉ Radio 1 messing around with the format too much. If they do not consider it valuable enough in their current/future schedule going forward, they should make a decision and follow through rather than adopting a stop/start approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

WTH is going on with Late Debate?

As far as I know, RTE have made no announcement that they are discontinuing it. They have merely stopped broadcasting it and have replaced it with useless repeats of other shows instead.

Unless someone on this thread has heard from RTE, I am going to make enquiries of my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

After a lot of trying, I have had this from the RTE information office:

"Due to government restrictions The Late Debate programme is currently not in the schedule, this is being kept under review however, we do not have a return date at present."

I would ask. what government restrictions?? All other current affairs panel shows, both Radio and TV, have continued without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

They need to find something for that time slot pretty quickly - it's been rehashing documentaries that have been repeated a number of times already

• Advertisement
Advertisement