Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations and Junior World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Interesting that Ross Byrne is ahead of Conor McKeon even though he is still U19.. Very interesting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 BillsBarn

I wouldn't consider Byrne to be ahead of McKeon, this is just another game in a series of warmup games.

First string team won't be really known until the first interpro and even then there will be one or two missing due to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Is that the game that's on before the seniors play Northampton on Fri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

yes. Leinster 19s play in Donnybrook at 4 followed by senior game at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

Originally Posted by jamiedav2011 View Post

No the 19's are playing Friday. The 20's are tomorrow thursday

• Advertisement

Younger wrote: »
    Originally Posted by jamiedav2011 View Post

No the 19's are playing Friday. The 20's are tomorrow thursday
    yeah your right. got teams mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Robb and Fromm are both out with injury.
    Dardis and Byrne still heavily involved with the senior squad

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Where and when is the 20s match on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

Where and when is the 20s match on ?

Ashbourne Thursday 14.30

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DaraOC

Interesting choice at seven ? I know Triggs has started the last two matches at 6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

How is the a academy team put together? I don't think there's enough in the academy for a full twenty three, and there would be a few of them still involved with the senior team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Woody1997 wrote: »
    How is the a academy team put together? I don't think there's enough in the academy for a full twenty three, and there would be a few of them still involved with the senior team

It's Leicester's Academy not Leinster's. I'll edit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Leinster5

For the life of me, I can't understand how the following players aren't involved in that squad :
    Fergal Cleary
    Richie Allen
    David Fortune
    Joey Darcy

I'm aware Cleary is with the 19s, but surely he's good enough for that squad if Young is starting at 12. I'm also aware that Allen has clearly had several run-ins with the Leinster coaches, since he hasn't joined up with the squad even with the Exile player being sent home.

8-5 to Leinster so far. Try scored by Ringrose of a well worked move, conversion missed. Ringrose got a pen too.

Cleary is still in school, so he isn't available to the 20s.

13-10 to Leinster. Try from Ian Fitzpatrick in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster5 wrote: »
    For the life of me, I can't understand how the following players aren't involved in that squad :
    Fergal Cleary
    Richie Allen
    David Fortune
    Joey Darcy

I'm aware Cleary is with the 19s, but surely he's good enough for that squad if Young is starting at 12. I'm also aware that Allen has clearly had several run-ins with the Leinster coaches, since he hasn't joined up with the squad even with the Exile player being sent home.

What age is D'Arcy?

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Fergal Cleary
    Richie Allen
    David Fortune
    Joey Darcy

Coaches feel Cleary is better off at 19s. Cleary they know better..
    20s is very strong every year and this year even more so so of course people will feel there is a few players who should be involved.

u20s won 20-13.

Tries by Keelan, Ringrose and Fitzpatrick.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Coaches feel Cleary is better off at 19s. Cleary they know better..
    20s is very strong every year and this year even more so so of course people will feel there is a few players who should be involved.

Cleary is only going into 6th year, can't remember if there has ever been a player doing the leaving cert and being involved with the 20s.

Plus Young is like 3rd choice at 12 behind Robb and Fromm.

Darcy and Fortune are solid players but nothing special.

BillsBarn wrote: »
    Cleary is only going into 6th year, can't remember if there has ever been a player doing the leaving cert and being involved with the 20s.

Plus Young is like 3rd choice at 12 behind Robb and Fromm.

Darcy and Fortune are solid players but nothing special.
    Sean O Brien did for Connacht last season. There has been other players who were still in school who played 20s. There is 1 or 2 in Munsters squad
    The Leinster coaches clearly feel different about the players you name

• Advertisement

Fortune was certainly the best 7 I saw in the School's comp.

Darcy and Fortune arent involved with any squads. I disagree Rory Moloney was by far the most impressive 7 in the schools cup.

For leinster there hasn't been any guys still in school who have also played under 20s, hell usually not so many guys eligible for u19 would have skipped it and went straight to u20 level. (Murphy, Dardis, McCarthy, Byrne, Heffernan etc.)

ormond lad wrote: »
    Sean O Brien did for Connacht last season. There has been other players who were still in school who played 20s. There is 1 or 2 in Munsters squad
    The Leinster coaches clearly feel different about the players you name

different about who? Darcy? Fortune? neither are involved with Leinster.

Robb and Fromm are injured atm.

Darcy and Fortune arent involved with any squads. I disagree Rory Moloney was by far the most impressive 7 in the schools cup.

Fair enough. I thought he outplayed Molony when they met but that's just my opinion.

Hagz wrote: »
    Fair enough. I thought he outplayed Molony when they met but that's just my opinion.

and one of them is currently playing pro rugby.. the player who was "outplayed" in your eyes :rolleyes:

and one of them is currently playing pro rugby.. the player who was "outplayed" in your eyes :rolleyes:

Rory Moloney is in the Connacht Academy yes, and I have no idea if David Fortune intends to continue to play rugby or whether he's finished school.

Believe it or not, that doesn't suddenly alter my opinion. I watched the match and came to the conclusion that I preferred Fortune as a 7 to Moloney on the day. I came to that conclusion because I saw very little breakdown work from Moloney (he didn't make a single turn-over) and not much impressive defensive work. He appeared to favour the wide channels and he linked up well with the backs. Fortune on the other hand made turn-overs, got heavily involved in the dirty work and made some strong hits.

That's not a slight on Moloney. If you are bothered enough, which I hope you aren't, you'll find that I have had nothing but positive things to say about Moloney, and I think he's one for the future.

Your rolled eyes by the way, are not only juvenile, but completely inapt.

and yet time and again, not only moloney but several other players have been preferred over fortune by Leinster and other provinces.

Fortune is a solid player who benefited from playing with an incredibly strong rock pack.

and yet time and again, not only moloney but several other players have been preferred over fortune by Leinster and other provinces.

Fortune is a solid player who benefited from playing with an incredibly strong rock pack.

I haven't disagreed with any of this. All I said was that I thought he was the most impressive openside in the school's competition, and I stressed that it was a personal opinion.

Leicester started strongly and enjoyed the best of the early exchanges and some accurate passing set up their full-back for the opening try in the first quarter.
    The home side reacted well, centre Gary Ringrose kicking for position and retreating to collect a wayward clearance to beat the first man up and accelerate into the right corner in the 18th minute.
    Leinster were living off scraps of possession but they took the lead when Ringrose struck a penalty for offside on one of their few attacks to make it 8-5 on the half hour.
    Then, openside Michael Triggs was binned for illegal play at a maul as Leicester looked to rumble to the line. The English club could not make the extra man pay before the break.
    They didn't have to wait too long as their number eight grounded over the line from a lineout and maul for a two-point lead in the 40th minute.
    Captain Ross Molony, a standout performer with Timmins, was involved in putting Leinster on the front-foot for left wing Ian Fitzpatrick to beat the last defender with pace and footwork.
    It wasn't long before Ringrose provided the footwork, Fitzpatrick the speed and Stephen Keelan the support play to find the corner in the 61st minute for fly-half Ross Byrne to make it 20-10 from the conversion.
    It looked like the job was done only for a Leicester replacement to tap-and-go for a soft try, converted by their out-half, and Leinster had to survive a late scrum scare through the good work of Shane Delahunt, moved from hooker to loose-head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Is this Stephen Gardiner?.. Big Unit!.. Does he have one or two years at 20s?
    788005.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement