Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations and Junior World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Hmmm, little confusing. Masterson,Blade and Dineen were snapped at the same time as the whole squad so I don't know why they're not on the Connacht site. Then again, the profile section on the Connacht site is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Hagz wrote: »
    Hmmm, little confusing. Masterson,Blade and Dineen were snapped at the same time as the whole squad so I don't know why they're not on the Connacht site. Then again, the profile section on the Connacht site is woeful.

pretty sure they have gone in. makes for 13 in 1st year! big number

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

lurtz wrote: »
    what else do you want from a prop other than to be a good scrummager?
    as long as he does that everything else is a bonus
    Well, when I look at other Props around that age-group, I see players like Dooley, Byrne, Walshe etc, and they can all carry extremely well and scrummage well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Leinster team to play Connacht tomorrow
    15: Billy Dardis (UCD)
    14: Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne)
    13: Adam Byrne (UCD)
    12: Gary Ringrose (Blackrock College)
    11: Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    10: Ross Byrne (UCD)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College)
    1: Ivan Soroka (Belvedere College SJ)
    2: Dylan Donnellan (UCD)
    3: Oisin Heffernan (Lansdowne)
    4: Ross Moloney (UCD) CAPTAIN
    5: Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    6: Josh Murphy (UCD)
    7: Michael Triggs (Lansdowne)
    8: Peader Timmins (UCD) VICE CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Shane Delahunt (Lansdowne)
    17: Denis Coulson (Lansdowne)
    18: Craig Trenier (Terenure College RFC)
    19: Stephen Keelan (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    20: Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    21: Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere RFC)
    22: Conor McKeon (Lansdowne)
    23: Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College RFC)

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10300.php

I'm not so sure about the centre partnership. I know it's forced by injury though. I have a feeling Connacht might just do it.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure about the centre partnership. I know it's forced by injury though. I have a feeling Connacht might just do it.
    I think it'll be ok though O Neill at 12 with Byrne at 13 would be more even. Connacht could do it anyway. very strong side

Munster team to play Ulster tomorrow is
    15 Dave Johnson
    14 Alex Wootton 13 Dan Goggin 12 Ned Hodgson 11 Adrian Enright
    10 Shane Airey 9 Ryan Foley
    1 Mike Lynch 2 Max Abbott 3 Rory Burke
    4 Patrick Kearns 5 Darragh Moloney
    6 Lee Nicolas 7 Aidan Butler 8 Jack O Donoghue
    subs
    16 Ben Burns 17 Sean McGee 18 James Maxwell
    19 Tadhg Arrigan 20 Sonny Dwyer
    21 Aaron Atkinson 22 Gearoid Lyons 23 Sam Sterling

And the Ulster team to face Munster is:

15 Rob Haldane, Malone
    14 David Busby, Queens University
    13 Ross Adair, Ballynahinch
    12 Mark Best , Belfast Harlequins
    11.Jacob Knight, Irish Exiles
    10 Josh Bingham, Methodist College Belfast
    9 Conor Young, Durham University
    1 Jonny Craig, Queens University Belfast
    2 Michael Lagan, Methodist College Belfast
    3 James Leary, Newcastle University
    4 Michael Campbell, Queens University
    5 Scott Barr, Brighton University
    6 Frankie Taggart, Irish Exiles/Belfast Harlequins Capt.
    7 Josh Atkinson, Instonians
    8 Lorcan Dow, Irish Exiles/Queens University

16 Patrick Finlay, Trinity College Dublin
    17 Darryl Morton, Armagh
    18 Ross Kane, Malone
    19 Alex Thompson, Methodist College
    20 Ben Alexander, Malone
    21 Michael Rainey, Malone
    22 Paddy Colhoun, Queens University
    23 Conor McKee, Methodist College

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

Can't believe the number of leinster players at Lansdowne and UCD, is there a reason so many school leavers aren't signing for the other Dublin sides such as Clontarf, Belvedere and Marys?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

RuPi wrote: »
    Can't believe the number of leinster players at Lansdowne and UCD, is there a reason so many school leavers aren't signing for the other Dublin sides such as Clontarf, Belvedere and Marys?
    irish u20 coach is at lansdowne,great facilities at UCD

Mike Ruddock is coach in Lansdowne which may help chances of making irish squad.
    UCD have great facilities and they always have very strong 21s/AIL sides to play with. AIL u20/21 champions very often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They also recruit extremely aggressively. Lansdowne, for example, went and visited Tom Daly when he was in 5th year to persuade him to join Lansdowne when he left school...and he wasn't even playing schools rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Young lads are very fickle and go where there is proven success and good facillities. Nearly every player wants to firstly go to UCD but the good players that don't get offered the Sporting Scholarships still want to go play at the highest level in the best team they can. Clontarf and Mary's are not central to the main colleges and are hard to get to in the dark and dingy winter nights. Belvo get plenty of schools players but their association with Belvo and Michael's puts some lads off as there are big clicks there.

Facillites at UCD and Lansdowne are top class and the myth that Ruddock favours Lansdowne lads is just that a myth. If your good enough you are simply good enough if not you are not. To good a coach and to much experience to let that influence him. The way his senior team in Lansdowne played last year was unreal never seen an AIL team as fast in everything they do. Herd Leinster lads giving out about Belvo when they played them on the training pitch instead of main pitch as well. Last time I was there parts of the club were closed because it was condemed or something

Reasons are usually pretty simple and not complex. If had a choice and they wanted me at that age I would go to UCD or Lansdowne as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ormond lad wrote: »
    And the Ulster team to face Munster is:

15 Rob Haldane, Malone
    14 David Busby, Queens University
    13 Ross Adair, Ballynahinch
    12 Mark Best , Belfast Harlequins
    11.Jacob Knight, Irish Exiles
    10 Josh Bingham, Methodist College Belfast
    9 Conor Young, Durham University
    1 Jonny Craig, Queens University Belfast
    2 Michael Lagan, Methodist College Belfast
    3 James Leary, Newcastle University
    4 Michael Campbell, Queens University
    5 Scott Barr, Brighton University
    6 Frankie Taggart, Irish Exiles/Belfast Harlequins Capt.
    7 Josh Atkinson, Instonians
    8 Lorcan Dow, Irish Exiles/Queens University

16 Patrick Finlay, Trinity College Dublin
    17 Darryl Morton, Armagh
    18 Ross Kane, Malone
    19 Alex Thompson, Methodist College
    20 Ben Alexander, Malone
    21 Michael Rainey, Malone
    22 Paddy Colhoun, Queens University
    23 Conor McKee, Methodist College

A lot of players from Methody there! I assume they just haven't been registered with a club yet (although I find that hard to believe) rather than them still being at school.

I've heard good things about Ross Adair although I think he usually plays in the back three? Hopefully he will be the latest product of the Ulster backs production line.

The simple reason is money or scholarships. UCD offer several players scholarships of all sorts just so they'll play for them. And as for Lansdowne, they pay their players between €1,000-€2,500 a year at U21 level, which is a disgrace really. As for the other few Dublin teams like Blackrock RFC, Old Belvedere and St. Marys, I'm not sure who'd play for them, but I know that Old Belvedere signed Allen, Robb and Larkin, who all were members of the Leinster 20 squad this year, but not sure about the other two clubs, they are usually very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    A lot of players from Methody there! I assume they just haven't been registered with a club yet (although I find that hard to believe) rather than them still being at school.

I've heard good things about Ross Adair although I think he usually plays in the back three? Hopefully he will be the latest product of the Ulster backs production line.
    Yes. Not listed with a club yet and are out of school. Rare enough that players still in school and playing 20s.
    Leinster5 wrote: »
    The simple reason is money or scholarships. UCD offer several players scholarships of all sorts just so they'll play for them. And as for Lansdowne, they pay their players between €1,000-€2,500 a year at U21 level, which is a disgrace really. As for the other few Dublin teams like Blackrock RFC, Old Belvedere and St. Marys, I'm not sure who'd play for them, but I know that Old Belvedere signed Allen, Robb and Larkin, who all were members of the Leinster 20 squad this year, but not sure about the other two clubs, they are usually very weak.
    Lansdowne do not pay players that much. Wouldn't insinuate things like that. Blackrock are not one of the top clubs and do not have the pull of division 1 clubs

Connacht 20s team
    1 Jacob Walshe Buccaneers
    2 Scott Flanagan Buccaneers
    3 Saba Meunargia Buccaneers
    4 Josh O'Rourke Buccaneers
    5 Sean O'Brien (Capt) Galwegians
    6 Sam McCormack Westport
    7 Rory Moloney Buccaneers
    8 Jack Dineen Galwegians
    9 Caolin Blade Monivea
    10 Sean O'Hagan Corinthians
    11 Mark O'Keefe Old Belvedere
    12 Andrew McAleer Westport
    13 Rory Parata Galwegians
    14 Matthew Mellotte Barnhall
    15 Eoghan O'Reilly Buccaneers
    Replacements:
    16 Conor Duffy UCD
    17 Dan McCardle Galwegians
    18 Andrew Barr Old Belvedere
    19 Shane Boyle UL Bohs
    20 Eddie Earle Galwegians
    21 Conor Kerins Sligo
    22 Ben Carty Buccaneers
    23 Charlie Ryan Cill Dara

Yes. Not listed with a club yet and are out of school. Rare enough that players still in school and playing 20s.
    Lansdowne do not pay players that much. Wouldn't insinuate things like that. Blackrock are not one of the top clubs and do not have the pull of division 1 clubs
    My cousin played for them last year and received €1,500 off them. And he didn't play a single 1sts game for the Seniors.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Mike Ruddock is coach in Lansdowne which may help chances of making irish squad.
    UCD have great facilities and they always have very strong 21s/AIL sides to play with. AIL u20/21 champions very often
    Can you change your account from being a "closed" one please.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    My cousin played for them last year and received €1,500 off them. And he didn't play a single 1sts game for the Seniors.

Where is your cousin now if he is that good we will take him!! If he will travel outside Dublin and accept pints instead!!

If that is true and I would be very sceptical that it is they wouldn't be doin it unless the rest are at it as well. They aren't that stupid. Have a nephew who was offered 70 points for Maynooth if he played with Barnhall, my mates kid played with Clontarf years ago and got free accomadation and a few quid. My own personal experience was of a kiwi who moved to our area and payed junior rugby for us, great player but left after one year for silly money to Belvo. Deserved to play AIL but said he would have stayed with us except for the cash he was getting. Lots of stories out there but very few of them are true and are the stuff of urban legend

Leinster Connacht 6-6 halftime. Poor game so far. quite scrappy

• Advertisement

Ulster beat Munster 17-14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Leinster Connacht 6-6 halftime. Poor game so far. quite scrappy

Any result of 20's game?

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Any result of 20's game?

Someone on the Leinster site is saying it was 41-6 to Leinster with 5 mins to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Someone on the Leinster site is saying it was 41-6 to Leinster with 5 mins to go.

6-6 at half time to 41-6 at full time?!?

Tox56 wrote: »
    6-6 at half time to 41-6 at full time?!?

No not full-time, 5 mins to go. He left early apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Great performance from Leinster, they just looked to have some serious backs with ball in hand and I hate saying this after a game like that...... The ref was so bad ! Can ruin a good game. Still some positives for Connacht. Some great players on both teams. Pity about the cards (lost count) over as a contest when Sean O'Brien was sent to the line.

Edit so Apologies I am unsure about cards! Was looking away for most of the second half ! Well done to Leinster. It was a very tough game.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Great performance from Leinster, they just looked to have some serious backs with ball in hand and I hate saying this after a game like that...... The ref was so bad ! Can ruin a good game. Still some positives for Connacht. Some great players on both teams. Pity about the 8 yellows and 2 reds (lost count) over as a contest when Sean O'Brien was sent off

Score?

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Great performance from Leinster, they just looked to have some serious backs with ball in hand and I hate saying this after a game like that...... The ref was so bad ! Can ruin a good game. Still some positives for Connacht. Some great players on both teams. Pity about the 8 yellows and 2 reds (lost count) over as a contest when Sean O'Brien was sent off

That's O'Brien gone so for the rest of the series what happened there sounds like
    It got heated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

CGD wrote: »
    That's O'Brien gone so for the rest of the series what happened there sounds like
    It got heated

What happened?he seemed like a level headed leader for Roscrea last year.outstanding talent,pity if he was gone for a few games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

anyone at the munster/ulster u20 game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement