Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations and Junior World Cup 2014

• 09-08-2013 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Following the 2013 Junior World Cup where Ireland finished 8th in a tournament dispite an excellent win against Australia and running New Zealand close in the pool stages before losses to France and Australia in the ranking games condemned Ireland to 8th place.
    The fixtures for the under 20 interpros which will, in the main, decide the squad that will take up the irish challenge in the 6 nations are below.
    2013 u20 Interpros
    6/9/13
    Ulster v Munster, Leinster v Connacht
    13/9/13
    Munster v Leinster, Ulster v Connacht
    20/9/13
    Connacht v Munster, Leinster v Ulster

The 2014 u20 6 nations fixtures are listed here
    31/1/14 Ireland v Scotland
    7/2/14 Ireland v Wales
    21/2/14 England v Ireland
    7/3/14 Ireland v Italy
    14/3/14 France v Ireland

The 2014 Junior World Cup takes place in New Zealand and the groups are below(based upon seedings from the 2013 competition)
    1st(England), 6th(Argentina), 7th(Australia), 12th(Italy)
    2nd(Wales), 5th(France), 8th(Ireland), 11th(Fiji)
    3rd(South Africa), 4th(New Zealand), 9th(Samoa), 10th(Scotland)

From June's 20s world cup squad there is Peter Dooley - loosehead,
    Dan Leavy - flanker, Jack O Donoghue - no 8, Peadar Timmins - flanker,
    Adam Byrne - centre, Alex Wootton - wing, who are all underage for the 2014 competition which will take place in Auckland, New Zealand.

Some squads have been listed in the provincial schools thread and youths thread but no squads have been named officially yet though there is a pic of Munster squad which was put up online today which you can see here.

Munster also have a list of their upcoming warm up games and they are listed below
    Tues. 13th Aug. Munster Rugby v Connacht Rugby, University of Limerick 4G, ko 2.00pm
    Tues. 20th Aug. Bristol Academy v Munster U20, Clifton RFC, ko 7.15pm
    Thur. 22nd Aug. Hartpury College v Munster U20, Hartpury College, ko 7.30pm
    Fri. 30th Aug. Munster U20 Vs UCC, The Mardyke, ko 7.30pm

Leinster are scheduled to play Clontarf's AIL side in the coming weeks as prep for the interpros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Ormond lad your knowledge of underage rugby in this country always seems top notch, what do you reckon will be the starting team for the 6 nations/JWC? Assuming everyone is fit and available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Shane Delahunt
    3. Saba Meneurgia
    4. SOB
    5. John Madigan
    6. Peadar Timmins
    7. Dan Leavy
    8. Jack O'Donoghue
    9. no idea
    10. Conor McKeon
    11. Ross Adair
    12. Peter Robb
    13. Rory O'Loughlin
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Billy Dardis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's a tall order for anybody to predict what the team will look like, especially with the change in systems. Dooley, Leavy, Byrne and O'Loughlin are the only guys I would classify as nailed on. Dardis also you'd expect but you never know.

The dark-horses for me are Sean O'Hagan and Rory Moloney from Connacht, and Philip Maher from Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

JagerScout wrote: »
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Shane Delahunt
    3. Saba Meneurgia
    4. SOB
    5. John Madigan
    6. Peadar Timmins
    7. Dan Leavy
    8. Jack O'Donoghue
    9. no idea
    10. Conor McKeon
    11. Ross Adair
    12. Peter Robb
    13. Rory O'Loughlin
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Billy Dardis

What about the messiah Brewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Hagz wrote: »
    It's a tall order for anybody to predict what the team will look like, especially with the change in systems. Dooley, Leavy, Byrne and O'Loughlin are the only guys I would classify as nailed on. Dardis also you'd expect but you never know.

The dark-horses for me are Sean O'Hagan and Rory Moloney from Connacht, and Philip Maher from Leinster.

Peter Robb, Oisin Heffernan, Ross Byrne, Cian Kelleher and Jack O'Neill should also make the squad if not the team

• Advertisement

funtime93 wrote: »

He had an operation recently that will see him sidelined for most of the season
    CGD wrote: »
    Peter Robb, Oisin Heffernan, Ross Byrne, Cian Kelleher and Jack O'Neill should also make the squad if not the team

Absolutely, but I'd say they are all far from guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ormond lad your knowledge of underage rugby in this country always seems top notch, what do you reckon will be the starting team for the 6 nations/JWC? Assuming everyone is fit and available.
    thanks. think itll be close enough to what JagerScout has posted above with a few changes. Rory Parata should be close to team. I think Caoilin Blade could be at 9

I think Jack O Donoghue would be very close to be classed as nailed on.
    funtime93 wrote: »
    Don't think he'll make squad for nationals. Behind a few like Robb, O Loughlin, Parata(who can play 10/12)

ormond lad wrote: »
    I think Jack O Donoghue would be very close to be classed as nailed on.

Like Dardis, very close. But with Timmins also having the experience, and me not knowing a whole lot about Ben Alexander, I didn't want to say he's nailed on.

Team I'd pick:
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Max Abbott
    3. Saba Meunargia
    4. Sean O'Brien
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Peadar Timmins
    7. Dan Leavy
    8. Jack O'Donoghue
    9. Nick McCarthy
    10. Conor McKeon
    11. Ross Adair
    12. Peter Robb
    13. Rory O'Loughlin
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Billy Dardis

16. Shane Delahunt (don't know much about Tiernan Dixon)
    17. Jacob Walshe
    18. Oisin Heffernan/Rory Burke
    19. John Madigan
    20. Jack O'Neill
    21. Caolin Blade
    22. Sean O'Hagan
    23. Cian Kelleher

Leinster age grade fixtures announced
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/10142.php#.Ugk8zRZc7jQ

Looking forward to the 20's v Academy on the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Dya think SOB 2.0 might play 8?.. With Molony, Madigan, and that Ulster guy (Russell something.. I keep forgetting his name) who is heavily lauded and supposedly huge it might make sense.. A backrow of 6. Timmins . 7. Leavy and 8. SOB 2.0, with JOD and Jack O'Neill on the bench, looks pretty mean to me.. Heffernan might be given two years at it as well, much like Furlong

• Advertisement

hype101 wrote: »
    Dya think SOB 2.0 might play 8?.. With Molony, Madigan, and that Ulster guy (Russell something.. I keep forgetting his name) who is heavily lauded and supposedly huge it might make sense.. A backrow of 6. Timmins . 7. Leavy and 8. SOB 2.0, with JOD and Jack O'Neill on the bench, looks pretty mean to me.. Heffernan might be given two years at it as well, much like Furlong
    Russell Blair.
    Id pick Jack O D ahead of SOB 2.0 at 8
    SOB Is huge and very good from the times ive seen him either for wegians, Cistercian, Connacht or Ireland.
    Think Jack will start but depending on who's available he could be on the flank

SOB 2.0, i think ideal position is lock/blindside flanker.

Think JOD or Timmins will be number 8.

Lock is fairly deep this year with Molony, Madigan, SOB and Blair. Although i've never seen Blair, so i'll wait and see on him.

think the weakest position is scrumhalf, can't really find a standout player at that position yet... I think alot of under-19s will get a long look possibly McCarthy from Leinster or Fullerton from Ulster.

Agreed on Heffernan, think Saba is favourite at the moment but was not impressed by him during the under-19s last April.. Hard to predict how the props will adapt to the new scrum rules as of yet..

Physically this is a fairly impressive age group, some big backs in Robb, Byrne and ROL but plenty of skill there aswell. Madigan and Blair are big locks and as always the backrow looks fairly deep.

Darkhorses:
    Hard to know but keep an eye on whoever is starting scrumhalf for the provinces 20s sides. Rory Moloney is a fair shout to be involved as usually there is at least one under-19 forward involved and he is super talented. Sure to be an exile or two that is involved that might surprise people.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Has there ever been a time when a complete unknown talent a year from the world championships has made the team ??? What im saying is does anybody think a player could perform at senior/21s level and get in the squad ? Was surprised Jerry Sexton didnt last year

recent times, not really.. Dooley came from nowhere really last year but he had previous form with Leinster under-19s from that september and Ireland under-18 club team from the year before.

Jerry Sexton wasn't a surprise at all, too small for lock and not athletic enough for backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

There will be always be a few surprises and players who come from nowhere to make the squad especially after the inter pros.

So Munster and Connacht drew their game in UL today 10-10.

Ulster scheduled to play Malone Saturday. Should be good test for Ulster
    I also believe Connacht and Ulster are due to play each other in Ashbourne tomorrow. Anyone know anymore about that?

Munster named their squad today ahead of their 2 games in England next week against Bristol's Academy and Hartpury College
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/12163.php
    Pre Season Tour U20 Squad: Conor Glynn, Sean McGee, Max Abbott, Ben Burns, James Maxwell, Rory Burke, Mikey Lynch, John Madigan, Patrick Kearns, Darragh Moloney, Adam Horgan, Aidan Butler, Sonny Dwyer, Lee Nicholas, Tom Ryan, Tadhg Arrogan, Ryan Foley, Aaron Atkinson, Shane Airey, Gearoid Lyons, Alex Wooton, Sam Sterling, Mark Healy, Ned Hodson, Dan Goggin, Chris McAuliffe, David Johnston, Adrian Enright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wanna be..the veeeery best. Like no-one ever waas.
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8873108,00.html

To catch them is my real test...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

*Googles*

Shudder. How I pine for the golden age of cartoons in the late 80s.

Oops wrong thread!

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    *Googles*

I've always lived by the motto, "if Ash isn't gonna grow up, then I'm not gonna grow up".

Now I'm off to play Beyblades.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't have a clue what you just said but I don't like it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

I see Alex wooton involved there for musnter,interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Buer wrote: »
    *Googles*

It's well known that the mid-90s was the golden age of cartoons, I'm sorry :P

To keep it relevant...I judge these U-20 players based on what cartoons they watched... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's well known that the mid-90s was the golden age of cartoons, I'm sorry :P

To keep it relevant...I judge these U-20 players based on what cartoons they watched... :o

Scarily, these guys probably watched Peppa Pig or something.

I feel old.

Munster named their squad today ahead of their 2 games in England next week against Bristol's Academy and Hartpury College
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/12163.php
    Pre Season Tour U20 Squad: Conor Glynn, Sean McGee, Max Abbott, Ben Burns, James Maxwell, Rory Burke, Mikey Lynch, John Madigan, Patrick Kearns, Darragh Moloney, Adam Horgan, Aidan Butler, Sonny Dwyer, Lee Nicholas, Tom Ryan, Tadhg Arrogan, Ryan Foley, Aaron Atkinson, Shane Airey, Gearoid Lyons, Alex Wooton, Sam Sterling, Mark Healy, Ned Hodson, Dan Goggin, Chris McAuliffe, David Johnston, Adrian Enright.

Is Greg O'Shea injured?.. Thought he was playing 20s this year

Is Greg O'Shea injured?.. Thought he was playing 20s this year
    Think he is injured. he is in 20s squad not 19s

Is JOD staying out of the interpros like Leavy and Dooley?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Clontarf beat Leinster 20's by just over a try. Kelleher, McKeon & Molony were the best players for Leinster, in which was a poor game to be honest.

From what I was told by a few spectators at the game, Richie Allen is playing for Old Belvedere's senior side against Leinster 20's on Tuesday, which will be very interesting to see.

• Advertisement

Munster 20s lost to Bristol 27-12 tonight in first game of 2 game tour of England.
    Dan Goggin with 2 trys for Munster. Conor Glynn was stretchered off injured(no mention of how he is)
    No other mention of Munster players

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

leinster got a good win over belvo tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Connacht 20's had a good run out v Corinthians tonight, nice win, it's all shaping up nicely for all the teams

Was at the Leinster u20 game tonight. Impressive showing from them against a Old Belvedere side that clearly hadn't trained much in comparison. Ringrose, Kelleher, Coughlan and Fitzpatrick all stood out for Leinster. Was interesting to see Richie Allen playing for Old Belvedere against his 'former' team, played well and scored a try.

Can you remember the starting XV? I'm interested to know if Delahunt is starting at hooker.

Can you remember the starting XV? I'm interested to know if Delahunt is starting at hooker.
    Delahunt started at hooker. Struggled at scrum-time and made a few errors around the pitch, but threw well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 PlumtreeKiss

Munster under 20 team. IMO not near the strongest possible side.

1. Conor Glynn
    2. Ben Burns
    3. James Maxwell
    4. Patrick Kearns
    5. Darragh Moloney
    6. Tadgh Arrogan
    7. Aiden Butler
    8. Lee Nicholas.
    9. Ryan Foley
    10. Gearoid Lyons
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Mark Healy
    13. Ned Hodson
    14. Dan Goggin
    15. David Johnston

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Was at the Leinster u20 game tonight. Impressive showing from them against a Old Belvedere side that clearly hadn't trained much in comparison. Ringrose, Kelleher, Coughlan and Fitzpatrick all stood out for Leinster. Was interesting to see Richie Allen playing for Old Belvedere against his 'former' team, played well and scored a try.

Was also there and i was seriously impressed with Fitzpatrick on the wing!

O'Neill also played well on the wing scored at least 2 tries but was carried off with an injury,don't know how bad it is.

Thought Belvo might put them on the main pitch Belvo in comparsion to Clontarf weren't up to much but probably retsed players for senior games this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

CGD wrote: »
    O'Neill also played well on the wing scored at least 2 tries but was carried off with an injury,don't know how bad it is.

Thought Belvo might put them on the main pitch Belvo in comparsion to Clontarf weren't up to much but probably retsed players for senior games this weekend

Which O'Neill was that?

Stephen O'Neill Ternure SCT centre from last year

• Advertisement

Munster under 20 team. IMO not near the strongest possible side
    1. Conor Glynn 2. Ben Burns 3. James Maxwell
    4. Patrick Kearns 5. Darragh Moloney
    6. Tadgh Arrogan 7. Aiden Butler 8. Lee Nicholas.
    9. Ryan Foley 10. Gearoid Lyons
    11. Alex Wootton 12. Mark Healy 13. Ned Hodson 14. Dan Goggin
    15. David Johnston
    Yeah not near strongest team In my view. Who would you add to that team? Jack o D in backrow, John Madigan in 2nd row maybe Sonny Dwyer in backrow

Who are the front runners for irish u20s scrumhalf?.. Is it a problem position?.. Also, was Coughlan playing wing or was he in the backrow, assuming it's yerman Sean Coughlan from Rock last year?

Who are the front runners for irish u20s scrumhalf?.. Is it a problem position?.. Also, was Coughlan playing wing or was he in the backrow, assuming it's yerman Sean Coughlan from Rock last year?
    Don't see any position as a problem. interpros haven't even been played yet.
    Caolin Blade from Monivea(irish 19s last year) is a front runner for SH. Munsters Ryan Foley could be there as could any of a number of players from Leinsters 18s/19s last year(Lavelle etc)

Don't see any position as a problem. interpros haven't even been played yet.
    Caolin Blade from Monivea(irish 19s last year) is a front runner for SH. Munsters Ryan Foley could be there as could any of a number of players from Leinsters 18s/19s last year(Lavelle etc)

Ya i've heard Blade is meant to be a tidy player alright.. Wouldn't of heard of many others i'd have to say.. All in all though, the potential squad looks pretty epic this year.. Indeed over the next two years.. They should really push on and make it to a JWC semi at least in one of those years

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Yeah not near strongest team In my view. Who would you add to that team? Jack o D in backrow, John Madigan in 2nd row maybe Sonny Dwyer in backrow
    think i would move goggin into 12 instead of healy and put enright or cormac o donnell at 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

lurtz wrote: »
    leinster got a good win over belvo tonight

Do you have the team by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

https://mobile.twitter.com/HartpuryRFC
    Looking grim for Munster U20 down 33 21

Yellow cards a plenty

mrpdap wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/HartpuryRFC
    Looking grim for Munster U20 down 33 21

Yellow cards a plenty
    grim but could have been much worse. From the tweets Munster started horrificly going 33-7 down after 20mins but they lost 40-21 with Hartpury just having scored their last score in the final 5 minutes of the game.
    Dave Johnson, Shane Airey and Dan Goggin got the trys for Munster with Airey also kicking 3 conversions

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

grim but could have been much worse. From the tweets Munster started horrificly going 33-7 down after 20mins but they lost 40-21 with Hartpury just having scored their last score in the final 5 minutes of the game.
    Dave Johnson, Shane Airey and Dan Goggin got the trys for Munster with Airey also kicking 3 conversions
    think enright also got a try

backgreen wrote: »
    think enright also got a try
    correct. Adrian got one of trys Shane Airey didn't get a try but converted all 3. typed wrong name earlier

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement