Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

You're not nearly comparing like with like if you look at Jones, Madigan and Conway, so no need to compare them really.
    Conway is a winger, don't think Madigan has played at FB for Leinster yet (bar a few sub appearances), plus both are 4 and 2 years younger respectively!

No way do Leinster need or want Jones, and rightly so!
    Though he could turn good for Munster.

Also the poster is correct about Morris. Looks a real prospect, great athlete, very quick and a huge boot.

Anyway, this is all based on a fabricated rumour!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I worry about Morris. He's too far down the pecking order for someone of his ability . Mightn't stick around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

durkadurka wrote: »
    I worry about Morris. He's too far down the pecking order for someone of his ability . Mightn't stick around.

Either him or Keating should seek other options. They have tons of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Thats a problem Leinster will have to deal with more and more in the coming years especially as the average age of the squad keeps lowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Niall Morris has signed a 2 year deal with Leicester, Stan Wright has signed a 3 year deal with Stade Francais.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Prediction of the week. You're welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12546_6838541,00.html

Quins signing a tighthead, wonder if this means Andress will be on the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

wixfjord wrote: »
    Hmmm, think he was joking, but do you really think Leinster would want Jones back?
    Best FB in the NH currently in Nacewa, formally one of the best in Kearney who has barely kicked a ball in anger under Joe, and Fitz, who was thrown into FB after a huge injury. Plus Niall Morris, who I think will be a fantastic player, and Madigan, who is more of a FB than an FH.

Don't think we really need him, even it was on the cards.

Think you are joking there! - Masi has just been voted player of the six nations, Foden is considerably better, as is Byrne, and that doesnt even take account of the 4 or 5 that you could pick from Top 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

little173 wrote: »
    Think you are joking there! - Masi has just been voted player of the six nations, Foden is considerably better, as is Byrne, and that doesnt even take account of the 4 or 5 that you could pick from Top 14.

Masi isn't a full back and only played there in the 6N. He's a centre by trade. The player of the 6N accolade means nothing as it's a public vote and is commonly rigged by any group of motivated fans hence Irish players winning the award more often than any over the past 10 years. Foden is hot and cold. He is great going forward with the ball in hand but there are question marks around his defence. Byrne has had a mediocre season and is nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago. There are certainly some contenders in the T14 but I doubt you'd find too many people arguing that Nacewa isn't right up there. His form this season has been nothing short of exceptional. He has been the best player on the pitch repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nacewa is definitely top 3 at the moment. The only players I'd put on the same level as him would be one of the Frenchies.

Don't see how Masi winning the 6N award has anything to do with him being better than Nacewa!!

• Advertisement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/12880413.stm

Ospreys sign Dragons' backrower Joe Bearman on a two year deal. They are obviously looking at having very good cover during the World Cup, where Thomas, Jones and maybe Tipuric will be gone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/12880413.stm

Ospreys sign Dragons' backrower Joe Bearman on a two year deal. They are obviously looking at having very good cover during the World Cup, where Thomas, Jones and maybe Tipuric will be gone.

That's a good signing for them. Bearman is a very solid player; excellent ball carrier. The Ospreys needed a signing like that as it appears they're also set to lose Collins and Holah this summer. Looks like they're trimming their wage bill a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

GerM wrote: »
    That's a good signing for them. Bearman is a very solid player; excellent ball carrier. The Ospreys needed a signing like that as it appears they're also set to lose Collins and Holah this summer. Looks like they're trimming their wage bill a bit.

hope the welsh teams are not weakened too much, the last thing the magners league needs ot 3 irish provinces in the top 4 every season.

I think Holah may be retiring alright, didn't know Collins was out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

what is the story with cory Jane and ulster?
    I dont undertsand why a few of the leinster lads arent bursting to get to connacht.cant they see what beneifts it had for cronin keatly etc...

liam12989 wrote: »
    what is the story with cory Jane and ulster?
    I dont undertsand why a few of the leinster lads arent bursting to get to connacht.cant they see what beneifts it had for cronin keatly etc...

They can also see what has happened to Willis, Monahan, Fanning etc. Lads who have gone there in the past season or two and it hasn't clicked for them. You need to be able to stand out at Connacht or you can disappear. I'm sure some would be mindful of that and consider a move to the Premiership where the potential rewards are bigger ahead of going west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I wouldn't be surprised. Their attendances have fallen this year despite being champsions, and still no European run this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

They can also see what has happened to Willis, Monahan, Fanning etc. Lads who have gone there in the past season or two and it hasn't clicked for them. You need to be able to stand out at Connacht or you can disappear. I'm sure some would be mindful of that and consider a move to the Premiership where the potential rewards are bigger ahead of going west.

Connacht was still the best place to go. If Willis, Monahan and Fanning can't make it in Connacht then they've no chance at Leinster. And not forgetting that Connacht have a small squad.

Leinster confirm Hagan.
    Also reveal the
    signing of Natal Sharks second row Steven Sykes
    and
    Canterbury Crusaders out-half Matt Berquist

Don't know much about either of them tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Fanning, Monahan and Willis were hardly considered to have huge potential. Fanning was playing for St Marys and scored a few tries for them and we gave him a chance. He got a few starts for us and he didn't show much, and certainly didn't show like he had the eye for the line. However, it's his 1st year in a professional environment and he needs time.

Monahan would probably have more potential than Fanning, but he hasn't played much. He's looked very raw when I've seen him and nowhere near the finished article. He's another lad who needs time in a professional environment.

Willis suffered alot of injuries at both Leinster and Ulster, and for someone of his age he's played very little rugby.

The fact is, these lads were not wonderkids when they came here. Connacht can't be expected to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. These lads may turn out to be very good players, but what I'm saying is, for every Sean Cronin or Ian Keatley, there's someone who doesn't make the grade, through no fault of Connacht's. Maybe they're not good enough? Connacht can't be expected to perform miracles with every player that arrives.

• Advertisement

Nacewa is definitely top 3 at the moment. The only players I'd put on the same level as him would be one of the Frenchies.

Don't see how Masi winning the 6N award has anything to do with him being better than Nacewa!!

Again this is in response to the opinion that he is the best full back in the Northern Hempishere which smacks as a lot of Leinster bias. I can accept that the RBS award is not totally fair, I will explain the logic as to why it has something to do with it, that if a Full Back wins the player of the tournament in the six nations, he must be playing pretty well, thats it.

I think Nacewa has been playing well in the ML, esp during the International break, just dont think he is that good a FB, his positional play, kicking and defence are lacking for me and there are better ones around.

little173 wrote: »
    Again this is in response to the opinion that he is the best full back in the Northern Hempishere which smacks as a lot of Leinster bias. I can accept that the RBS award is not totally fair, I will explain the logic as to why it has something to do with it, that if a Full Back wins the player of the tournament in the six nations, he must be playing pretty well, thats it.

I think Nacewa has been playing well in the ML, esp during the International break, just dont think he is that good a FB, his positional play, kicking and defence are lacking for me and there are better ones around.

examples would be nice.

Can't think of many who'd hold a candle to his consistency tbh.

profitius wrote: »
    Connacht was still the best place to go. If Willis, Monahan and Fanning can't make it in Connacht then they've no chance at Leinster. And not forgetting that Connacht have a small squad.

I think the moving on of players back to the stronger provinces from Connacht - keatley, Hagan, poss Cronin will help this that players can see a route back if they perform. Maybe the perception was that you could be lost there if you are a young and emerging player who cannot get into the Leins/Munst 1XV. It is unfortunate for Connacht but may actually attract some young stars there, esp if there is HC on offer.

The fact is, these lads were not wonderkids when they came here. Connacht can't be expected to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. These lads may turn out to be very good players, but what I'm saying is, for every Sean Cronin or Ian Keatley, there's someone who doesn't make the grade, through no fault of Connacht's. Maybe they're not good enough? Connacht can't be expected to perform miracles with every player that arrives.

I have to agree with the majority of what you say. The point I was making was that if a player needs to be brought along and play alongside some experienced, high quality players to improve, they possibly won't get that at Connacht. It's a sink or swim sort of place where people like Cronin and Hagan were able to stand up and be counted. For example, I don't think someone like O'Malley would have stood out in Connacht. Eoin Reddan and Jerry Flannery weren't massively impressive during their stints there. A young player or late bloomer who needs to be brought along might look at it and look at somewhere like Leicester and think they'd be better off in England for their own development. Look at Tonetti, who chose Sale ahead of Connacht last summer. He's now a regular enough starter for them and probably on a nice salary too whilst playing alongside several international stars with a couple of Lions in the backs next to him.

It's not meant to be a sleight on Connacht; the fact is they've a tough enough time due to lack of funding and losing players already so it's near impossible to expect them to be able to massively develop players careers every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

LEINSTER SO FAR

OUT :
    Clint Newland
    Trevor Hogan
    Stan Wright
    Nathan Hines
    Niall Morris
    Ben Prescott
    Ronan McCormack
    John Fogarty

IN:
    Sean Cronin
    Steven Sykes
    Jamie Hagan
    Matt Berquiest

Am I missing anyone?

LEINSTER SO FAR

OUT :
    Clint Newland
    Trevor Hogan
    Stan Wright
    Nathan Hines
    Niall Morris
    Ben Prescott
    Ronan McCormack

IN:
    Sean Cronin
    Steven Sykes
    Jamie Hagan
    Matt Berquiest

Am I missing anyone?

John Fogarty.

LEINSTER SO FAR

OUT :
    Clint Newland
    Trevor Hogan
    Stan Wright
    Nathan Hines
    Niall Morris
    Ben Prescott
    Ronan McCormack

IN:
    Sean Cronin
    Steven Sykes
    Jamie Hagan
    Matt Berquiest

Am I missing anyone?

John Fogarty retired in September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Three new leinster signings...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/leinster-announce-three-new-signings-498986.html

New Leinster signing, entry in wikipedia, funny stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sykes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Three new leinster signings...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/leinster-announce-three-new-signings-498986.html

New Leinster signing, entry in wikipedia, funny stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sykes

Whats funny about the wiki page?

Advertisement