Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

A big name NIQ lock for Leinster wouldn't be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

jolley123 wrote: »
    Brad Thorn to Toulon
    Bakkies Botha to Toulon

Are these confirmed or just rumours? If they are rumours Leinster need to throw their hat into the ring for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Are these confirmed or just rumours? If they are rumours Leinster need to throw their hat into the ring for them.

Bakkies Botha is a confirmed three year deal.

Thorn is not confirmed, Ill edit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Botha is not confirmed, Ill edit that.

You can edit this one while our at it. :D

I'll take it Thorn is not confirmed, he would be a excellent signing for Leinster - exactly what they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    You can edit this one while our at it. :D

I'll take it Thorn is not confirmed, he would be a excellent signing for Leinster - exactly what they need.

It's a broad policy not to offer a NIQ player that is getting on in playing terms more than a 1 year contract. Thorn is more than getting on so no chance of Leinster making an offer longer than 1 year which would rule them out in comparison to the French teams that have no issue with signing someone for 2 or 3 years despite their age.

I would think Leinster are going to look at the Aussie locks or one of the NZ fringe players who is doing well in the S15. I'd rule out South African locks as there will be huge competition to replace Matfield and Botha in the national team after the WC. None of them will want to leave. Someone like Isaac Ross would be perfect although I doubt he would be available due to only signing for the Chiefs this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

James Hook to Perpignan
    David Skrela to Clermont
    Sean Cronin to Leinster
    Lee Byrne to Clermony
    Regan King to Clermony
    Byron Kelleher to Bayonne
    Lionel Beauxis to Toulouse
    BJ Botha to Munster
    John Afoa to Ulster
    Niall O'Conner to Connacht
    Ian Keatley to Munster
    Dan Hipkiss to Bath
    Mathe tait to Leicester
    Shontayne Hape to London Irish
    Ryan Caldwell to Bath
    George Stowers to Ospreys
    Joe Ansbro to London Irish
    Ryan Lamb to Saints
    Vasili Artemiev to Saints
    Tom May to Saints
    Nathan Hines to Clermont
    Bakkies Botha to Toulon
    Max Evans to Castres
    Matt Giteau to Toulon
    Alexis Pailisson to Toulon
    Paul Warwick to Stade Francais

...That's all I can think of right now.

As far as rumors, Wyn Jones has been linked with Clermont,Thorn to a french club, Cory Jane to Ulster is one that was floating about a while ago.

Toulon are taking it too far IMO, they can't even use all these players in a HC game can they?

That's Contepomi/Wilkinson/Giteau/Sackey/Botha/Heymans/Van Nierkerk/Smith/Lobbe...and more.

In terms of Conacht rumours that I've heard about,
    Maguire,Dave McSharry and now Benson Stanley:eek:

I wouldn't think they could lure a player of his calibre. Brilliant signing if it's true.

Cheers for that list!

On Toulon, only non EU/SA/Pacific Island passport holders are restricted. So the only players in that list that are restricted are Giteau, Contepomi, Hayman and Lobbe. George Smith is leaving anyway and he has a Tongan passport.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that Giteau has grandparents from either the UK or Italy I think, so maybe he'll try and sort an EU passport? I really don't know the rules for getting passports though tbh.

of which he'll spend >20% of that time suspended.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

of which he'll spend >20% of that time suspended.
    :pac:

but he's a 'christian' now so he's cleared his act up....he'll spend no more than 17.5% suspended!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Stringer is going to gloucester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

GiftofGab wrote: »

Really? Munster definitely have the talent to let him go but can't imagine Gloucester being too interested if I was totally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I thought he signed a 2 year contract last year?

Risteard wrote: »
    I thought he signed a 2 year contract last year?

He did. Shenanigans, I call!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Callum Black...loose head prop signed for Ulster.
    I hope this guy isn't another in a long line of no hoper props that have littered the Irish scene for quite a few years.

7th March.

"Ulster Rugby today confirmed that Callum Black and Michael McComish will join the squad in the summer, ahead of the start of the 2011-12 season...
    Callum Black (25) is an Irish-qualified prop who is currently contracted with Championship side Worcester Warriors. Born in the USA and raised in England where he attended Hartpury College, Black is Irish-qualified through his paternal grandfather who was originally from Belfast and has represented Ireland at U18, U19 and U21 levels. He joined the Worcester Academy straight from College and burst onto the senior scene towards the end of the 2008-09 season.
    In all he has made 50 appearances in the front row for the club and has had loan spells at both Otley and Plymouth.
    “This is a new and exciting challenge for me”commented Black.
    “I’m at the stage in my career where I’m looking to really push on and I’m really looking forward to playing in the Magners League and Heineken Cup”
    “I've watched Ulster this season and been very impressed with how the team is developing and I’m looking forward to being part of that.”
    “My goal is to establish myself in the Ulster team and then try to force my way into the Ireland set up.”

haha

Cian Healy is going to Biarritz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We should get a bunch of Twitter accounts and start vomiting out some bull**** stories and see what sticks.

O'Gara in multimillion euro move to Bucaresti Oaks.

I'm being lined up for a move to Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

tolosenc wrote: »
    We should get a bunch of Twitter accounts and start vomiting out some bull**** stories and see what sticks.

O'Gara in multimillion euro move to Bucaresti Oaks.

Ronan the Romanian, I can see that working on so many levels.

I'm being lined up for a move to Toulon.

Mercenary.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

RuggieBear wrote: »
    kevin99, Do not post again on this thread.
    Everyone else, back on topic

Who are you to tell me not to post again on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

kevin99 wrote: »
    I'm the Moderator for this forum. Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I shouldn't laugh - but I can't help myself. Brilliant stuff.:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

jacothelad wrote: »
    I shouldn't laugh - but I can't help myself. Brilliant stuff.:D:D:D:D:D

Ha ha - quickly to the facepalm image library!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

"We are the united states navy! Turn to starboard!"

"We are a lighthouse. It's your call."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

GerM wrote: »
    Mercenary.
    :D

Journeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

gentlemen, back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

And why would any one here quote you on anything? You are not an official representative from any rugby club. You're contributions here are merely speculative.
    Don't worry. I won't be quoting some anonymous contributor to anybody.
    I mean who knows you?
    In the bar later, I say hey guys. Huddle round me. Got some latest transfer news on the rugger front. Very reliable source too. Porterbelly says x,y and z.
    Wow. Well if he has said it, it must be true. Sure he is a mine of information.
    Pssst. don't quote me on it. Cos Porterbelly in his contribution to the rugby section of Boards.ie asked us all not to quote him.
    Really, yea really. God that guy has his finger on the pulse. Or is it a woman?
    Don't know. Just has great sources. But don't quote me on that.

xzibit.jpg
    I'm led to believe that tomorrow is Saturday, deffo is. Don't quote me on it though.
    Well why are you asking us not to quote you then?

xzibit.jpg
    kevin99, Do not post again on this thread.
    Everyone else, back on topic

xzibit.jpg

xzibit_happy_RE_A_tree_in_a_tree-s744x481-57787.jpg

On Topic.... I heard a rumour that Felix Jones is coming back to Leinster. Forcibly if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

On Topic.... I heard a rumour that Felix Jones is coming back to Leinster. Forcibly if required.

Jones signed a new contract in Feb, iirc, so any return to Leinster is at least a season off. Can see why Leinster would want him though, Fitz didn't impress at fullback and Kearney's injury has really ruined his season.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Jones signed a new contract in Feb, iirc, so any return to Leinster is at least a season off. Can see why Leinster would want him though, Fitz didn't impress at fullback and Kearney's injury has really ruined his season.

Hmmm, think he was joking, but do you really think Leinster would want Jones back?
    Best FB in the NH currently in Nacewa, formally one of the best in Kearney who has barely kicked a ball in anger under Joe, and Fitz, who was thrown into FB after a huge injury. Plus Niall Morris, who I think will be a fantastic player, and Madigan, who is more of a FB than an FH.

Don't think we really need him, even it was on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

wixfjord wrote: »
    Hmmm, think he was joking, but do you really think Leinster would want Jones back?
    Best FB in the NH currently in Nacewa, formally one of the best in Kearney who has barely kicked a ball in anger under Joe, and Fitz, who was thrown into FB after a huge injury. Plus Niall Morris, who I think will be a fantastic player, and Madigan, who is more of a FB than an FH.

Don't think we really need him, even it was on the cards.

Every team needs good players, we didn't really need cronin but it'd have been nice to sign him. Jones could be very well suited to the new interpretations, something Kearney may not be. Fitz will bounce back but will it be as a fullback?

Nacewa is class alright, and guys like Madigan and Conway could be class, but you can still see why Leinster would want to recall Jones. He's fast, big, good under the high ball, he's what you want in a fullback. He's also injury prone and completely unproven but the potential is there.

As a fullback, which of these do rate highest for potential, Jones, Madigan and Conway? I'd say Conway's more likely to make it as a winger and I see Madigan as a utility back, good enough at a few positions but not great at any. On the otherhand, Jones, potential-wise, is the most complete of the three, imo.

• Advertisement

As a fullback, which of these do rate highest for potential, Jones, Madigan and Conway? I'd say Conway's more likely to make it as a winger and I see Madigan as a utility back, good enough at a few positions but not great at any. On the otherhand, Jones, potential-wise, is the most complete of the three, imo.

Jones is the the best FULL-BACK out of those names, but when you add Kearney and Isa to the list, then he sits at third. Leinster simply do not need Felix Jones, and probably never will.

Plus, if you were to judge on this season, I'd rather have Niall Morris tbh. Jones has played very little rugby this year, so he still has to prove himself. Whereas in the games Morris has played, he's been great.

Advertisement