Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hernandez hasn't worked out for them at all, poor guy has been a sicknote since the World Cup. They need a top class replacement.

If Carter wins the World Cup, he's achieved all he can as a NZ based player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Nz are astonishing for losing a mountain of players after every world cup, then coming back stronger than ever. They're like thrush or something

Not that I'd know of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ospreys have agreed to release Mike Phillips from his contract. He'll be seeking a new club and most likely moving to France although Bath were rumoured to be in talks with him also.

They're coming apart at the seams as a club. Appears that the money has run out and several big names will no longer be around next season. Byrne, Phillips, Hook, Holah, Collins all on way out it appears. Tommy Bowe must be wondering why he signed a 3 year deal now. He's stuck there until the end of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

GerM wrote: »
    Ospreys have agreed to release Mike Phillips from his contract. He'll be seeking a new club and most likely moving to France although Bath were rumoured to be in talks with him also.

They're coming apart at the seams as a club. Appears that the money has run out and several big names will no longer be around next season. Byrne, Phillips, Hook, Holah, Collins all on way out it appears. Tommy Bowe must be wondering why he signed a 3 year deal now. He's stuck there until the end of 2012.

On the plus side for them a lot of the players they're losing are quite old and wouldn't have been kept on that much longer. Hook leaving wasn't just about money as well wasn't it? I was under the impression he wasn't happy about being behind Biggar.

• Advertisement

@GerM, that's absolutely disasterous for Bowe imo. Ospreys brought him to where he is today. Really hope that they find some way to shore up the tide of big-name leavers. Maybe we let them win the Magners League somehow?

3 year deal seems awful with this news!

What does end of 2012 mean? Is it end of 2012-2013 season?

durkadurka wrote: »
    What does end of 2012 mean? Is it end of 2012-2013 season?

Bowe signed the extension in December 2009. On reflection though, that was an extension to a contract that was to run until summer 2010 so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume his current deal possibly runs until summer 2013.

@GerM, that's absolutely disasterous for Bowe imo. Ospreys brought him to where he is today. Really hope that they find some way to shore up the tide of big-name leavers. Maybe we let them win the Magners League somehow?

3 year deal seems awful with this news!

Well they have been signing players as replacements but they're of a significantly lower quality. Stowers and Bearman are hardworking decent players but will never be of international quality and are both 32. Kahn Fotuali'i is a bit of an unknown quantity for me but seems a decent player and given reports of being suspended previously by the Crusaders should fit right in with the Ospreys.

Another man I forgot about was their 6N tighthead, Craig Mitchell who signed with Exeter during the week. AWJ could be on his way out too and is on the record as having been approached by T14 teams.

Could the last Welsh international to leave Swansea please turn off the lights?

Bowe signed the extension in December 2009. On reflection though, that was an extension to a contract that was to run until summer 2010 so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume his current deal possibly runs until summer 2013.

Wikipedia agrees ( must be true so!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Dan Carter to Racing???

Rumours in France suggest that Racing Metro are set to offer Carter €2.5million for his services after the World Cup

http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsarticle=15836

another one jonathan Wisniewski will put on the bench :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Well, the policy of signing big names hasn't panned out for them so maybe a shift in direction is what they need?

Dan Carter to Racing???

Rumours in France suggest that Racing Metro are set to offer Carter €2.5million for his services after the World Cup

http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsarticle=15836

The thing that stuck out most for me in this article is
    ...........Sebastien Chabal is alleged to be the highest paid rugby player in the world, but it seems Racing Metro in France could again break the bank in signing Carter in a deal worth a total of $4.8 million NZD..........

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well they have been signing players as replacements but they're of a significantly lower quality. Stowers and Bearman are hardworking decent players but will never be of international quality and are both 32. Kahn Fotuali'i is a bit of an unknown quantity for me but seems a decent player and given reports of being suspended previously by the Crusaders should fit right in with the Ospreys.

Another man I forgot about was their 6N tighthead, Craig Mitchell who signed with Exeter during the week. AWJ could be on his way out too and is on the record as having been approached by T14 teams.

Could the last Welsh international to leave Swansea please turn off the lights?

If his performances for Samoa are anything to go by, Fotuali'i will be a brilliant player for the Ospreys.

They are coming apart as a club, for 2/3 seasons they have had the playing resources to achieve big things and they haven't done it (bar the ML win last year). I don't know where they were getting their money from, it certainly wasn't from gate receipts. The big names are on big money and are probably sick of underachieving.

Mitchell isn't in the same bracket as Phillips, Byrne and Hook IMO. He's leaving because he knows he'll never get picked ahead of Adam Jones.

It's a scary thought, Emmet, but the likelihood is that he's paid half on the basis of his rugby ability and half on the basis that he's arguably the most iconic and marketable player in the world. I would say he does a serious amount of promotional work for them. Despite being rubbish for some time now he's still a cult hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Theres 3 probable reasons for whats happening at the Ospreys.

1- They can't compete financially with the French clubs. I wonder if the French clubs grow wealthier will the Irish teams start losing players. The Ospreys' addendances have not helped either. Compared to the Irish teams they're well short with a big stadium they can't fill.

2- They've underperformed with all the big name players. They've learned the lesson that signing big name players doesn't mean they'll be a success. The team is more important than individuals.

3- They've a good academy with players coming through. They've signed some experienced players as well to bolster the squad.

EDIT: A fourth reason could be the fallout after the christmas party. I'm not sure about that one.

I don't know where they were getting their money from, it certainly wasn't from gate receipts.

Mike Cuddy is their money man. Owns the Cuddy Group, a massive engineering firm.

Mitchell isn't in the same bracket as Phillips, Byrne and Hook IMO. He's leaving because he knows he'll never get picked ahead of Adam Jones.

I agree certainly he's not in their class. However, he's only 24 so has a long way to go and is doing alright. Adam Jones's contract is up at the end of next season at which time he could well move on for a last massive pay cheque. He'd command silly money in France. I reckon the Ospreys wouldn't/couldn't give Mitchell what he wanted so he left. He's certainly not going to Exeter to win things or to play amongst top players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's quite possible some of the better Ospreys players are leaving because they're sick of failing consistently in Europe. They're not even as competitive in the ML as they should be on a consistent basis.

As regards Chabal, it's possible he brings in quite a bit of money from promotional work for the club. Whatever your views on him as a player (imo he's really not very good) he's one of the most recognisable rugby players in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I'm surprised Philips is leaving after making these comments.
    http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16012_6758785,00.html

• Advertisement

Chabal is like George hook, he may be a bit of a joke but he's box office ...

Noah Cato is moving from Saracens to Northampton Saints.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12544_6853625,00.html

Sam Tuitupou is leaving Munster (confirmed on MunsterRugby.ie) and has been strongly linked with a move to Sale Sharks.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12331_6853668,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It makes financial sense for players like Byrne, Henson and Phillips to move to the South of France. Think of the money they're going to save on fake tan.

Basically the Welsh equivalent of the Irish players tax breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

Don't tell O'Callaghan! Although I hear he has an agreement with Tescos in Douglas to provide him with all the free fake tan he wants so maybe it won't be quite the incentive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Saints have made a number of big signings for next year. Themselves and Tigers will be so ahead of the AP it won't be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Any truth in the Downey to Munster rumour?

I'm gonna make my own new rumour/suggestion and say Munster should try and sign Victor Vito. He's exactly what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Stev_o wrote: »
    Saints have made a number of big signings for next year. Themselves and Tigers will be so ahead of the AP it won't be funny.

Well Saracens as well.

Wouldn't call Ryan Lamb, Martin Roberts and Cato big signings. Lamb is too flaky, and isn't what they need, particularly when they have Myler and Geraghty on board. You'd forget they have Joe Ford as well. They should get rid of 2 of them and get a big name who is consistent.

Doran Jones is a good signing as Mujati and Tonga'uiha tend to be overworked, particularly as they haven't raplaced Euan Murray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CouchSmart wrote: »
    A few Munster backroom staff have been spotted at Franklin Gardens a couple of times recently apparently, maybe they were looking at Downey

Downey has been strongly rumoured all right.

JdV is out of contract after the World Cup....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

CouchSmart wrote: »

I'm gonna make my own new rumour/suggestion and say Munster should try and sign Victor Vito. He's exactly what they need.

Jerry Collins out of contract in the summer

Advertisement