Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Women with preferences like being tall rich and handsome are empowered. Men with any preference are sexist, boorish pigs.

What a world we live in. It's time to grow up ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

But that's not what I was referring to. Way to cherrypick.

I'd be more a girlie type myself - but I'm not thick. Also numerous career women are girlie. Everything is either/or with you.

I was just saying that Amy Schumer being non girlie doesn't mean she is an horrendous person as that poster claims.

Not a fan of women comedians but I am a fan of women driver jokes :D

x1080-NI5.jpg

Women-Drivers-760x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Stephen Fry received plenty of criticism for dating a younger person, most people consider it creepy, Ive even heard people accuse him of being a paedophile despite his husband being nearly 30

I think if you ask any young gay man how their friends and family would react to them dating somebody 30 years older youd find its generally disapproved of just like in the straight community

But that's not what I was referring to. Way to cherrypick.

I'd be more a girlie type myself - but I'm not thick. Also numerous career women are girlie. Everything is either/or with you.

I was just saying that Amy Schumer being non girlie doesn't mean she is an horrendous person as that poster claims.

Amy Schumer is a joke stealing hypocrite who loves taking advantage of the so called patriarchy (let's face it she's very rich and successful) while decrying men to appease her feminazi followers.

Just look up her joke thievery on Google.

You can be girlie or feminine and not be stupid, but if he wants stupid then let him have stupid. Stupid is very hard work though, boring work.

He's a very try hardy poster, his posts are constructed around what he sees as triggers and as long as posters engage with him he'll just keep up the insults and digs so I don't know why anyone is bothering.

His opinions are odious and thankfully most people don't share them. I think he's delighting in the opportunity to constantly restate them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I can open you a tin of Whiskas if you chuck us a tin opener, Wibbs. What you do with it after that is up to you, though
    Make it Pedigree Chum and we have a deal.
    I'm not saying all women are interested in relationship articles or that no men are, but looking at the front of magazines largely targeted at the female market, it does seem that way.
    A large chunk of observations and studies down the years have shown women have more interest in people and relationships than men on average. Men tend to be more focused on things. There was a chap who was in a coma who woke up, but had locked in syndrome I think they call it. Anyway he was unresponsive so visitors and hospital staff treated him like he was unconscious. Among the things he noted was the women having conversations around him were much more focused on people and relationships, whereas men very rarely brought that up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

DS86DS wrote: »
    Not a fan of women but I am a fan of women driver jokes :D

x1080-NI5.jpg

Women-Drivers-760x500.jpg
    Fixed that for you.

Yeah I like women driver and mother in law jokes too.

Women with preferences like being tall rich and handsome are empowered. Men with any preference are sexist, boorish pigs.

What a world we live in.
    Where the hell did you see that?
    Stop making up bull.

How dare you, that's Captain Black! :P

capblack.jpg

Uncanny!

I thought the second guy looked like a waxwork or a puppet. Then I googled him, and he IS a puppet! Nothing gets past me. :pac:

Sargon of Akkad on older feminists

https://youtu.be/VtNX6hM8Lp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    I can open you a tin of Whiskas if you chuck us a tin opener, Wibbs. What you do with it after that is up to you, though
    Make it Pedigree Chum and we have a deal.
    You'll have to hunt and gather it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

wakka12 wrote: »
    Stephen Fry received plenty of criticism for dating a younger person, most people consider it creepy, Ive even heard people accuse him of being a paedophile despite his husband being nearly 30

I think if you ask any young gay man how their friends and family would react to them dating somebody 30 years older youd find its generally disapproved of just like in the straight community

Michael Douglas got a lot more public criticism for marrying Catherine Zeta Jones (25 years his junior) than Stephen Fry got for marrying Elliott Spencer (30 years his junior). Many people were wary of criticizing the latter couple for fear of seeming homophobic.

Candie wrote: »
    You can be girlie or feminine and not be stupid, but if he wants stupid then let him have stupid. Stupid is very hard work though, boring work.

He's a very try hardy poster, his posts are constructed around what he sees as triggers and as long as posters engage with him he'll just keep up the insults and digs so I don't know why anyone is bothering.

His opinions are odious and thankfully most people don't share them. I think he's delighting in the opportunity to constantly restate them.

Your description of whomever youre describing would apply to the female side of the debate here.

Your opinion is about as important as everyone else's on this forum and you've the freedom of staying out of threads that you find "odious".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Michael Douglas got a lot more public criticism for marrying Catherine Zeta Jones (25 years his junior) than Stephen Fry got for marrying Elliott Spencer (30 years his junior). Many people were wary of criticizing the latter couple for fear of seeming homophobic.

The difference between "Hollywood A-lister marries other Hollywood A-lister" and "British celebrity marries civilian" is completely irrelevant of course.

There's a black couple lives on my street, seems to be a good 15 years between them. But of course none of the papers mention it half as much as Douglas and Zeta Jones, must be because they're afraid to seem racist!

Where the hell did you see that?
    Stop making up bull.

Keep up. I'm talking about the hypocrisy some posters have in here about men having preference in certain appearances.

that would be fair to say. just googled Stephen Fry - 30 year age difference and to boot he (husband) looks like a teenage boy in appearance.

Your description of whomever youre describing would apply to the female side of the debate here.

Your opinion is about as important as everyone else's on this forum and you've the freedom of staying out of threads that you find "odious".

I disagree. And the thread isn't odious, but some of that posters opinions are - or at least how they're stated.

And likewise, you don't have to respond to posts you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did he get criticism though? Their marriage got attention, that's not the same as saying it was criticised.

And, I suspect the primary reason it got attention was A List marrying A List as opposed to the 25 years thing.

Whatever assessment you have of the female side is all in your head/what you want it to be. You even blatantly demonstrated that with a post stating something being said here which isn't being said at all.

What women are taking issue with are the insults and digs and lies, which you can easily see yourself.

Sometimes preferences deserve criticism too. A guy saying he would prefer a dumb subservient maid whom he could control (and this from a guy who's always complaining about hardline Islam) - hell yeah it deserves criticism. But preferring younger women? No issue there. It doesn't need to be used to insult women that are not as young as that though, or to lie that women older than that age can't meet men.

Women preferring men to be rich deserves criticism too - it's a vacuous and greedy outlook. Although the same critics of this can also be the ones who claim they want women who are completely reliant on them financially. Inconsistencies all over the place.

Not one woman said "Women with preferences like being tall rich and handsome are empowered. Men with any preference are sexist, boorish pigs" or anything like it - don't be resorting to DS levels of dishonesty.

Indeed. Not one word of criticism is allowed against homosexuals or their activities.

It is one of the 10 commandments of the modern Liberal Left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Indeed. Not one word of criticism is allowed against homosexuals or their activities.

It is one of the 10 commandments of the modern Liberal Left.

Yea we sure have an easy time of it. Nobody ever cared about what gay people were doing in their own time.

oh wait

He just plucks any auld thing that's easy for him to rant about, no matter how off topic, ignoring questions that don't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Women need to stop demonising girlie and feminine women just because they think they are superior to them.

You need to stop demonising women just because you think you are superior to them.

Sargon of Akkad on older feminists

https://youtu.be/VtNX6hM8Lp4
    Yeah I can't stand hardline feminists either.

Calina wrote: »
    You need to stop demonising women just because you think you are superior to them.

In my observation, people demonize groups they're not part of because they feel inferior to them - or at least suffer from inferior choices to them. That's why they feel compelled to try hurt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Generally speaking, no. But it certainly helps to be famous, have money, or have an aura of literary or intellectual sophistication. Young women frequently have crushes on their professors, for instance -- men who are often 20+ years older than them. When novelist Cormac McCarthy was 64, he married a 32-year-old. So it does happen.

Obviously it happens sometimes. But it’s rare. Really rare.

As said earlier, 20-something me would be weary of 50-somethings for the simple reason that ill-health is getting more and more likely at that age. Ill-health can strike at any age but for almost any illness apart from a small few, the incidence graphs go up with age. If I’m investing time in somebody, I want them to stick around.

And 50-somethings just weren’t even on our radars. Even professor crushes were rare. We thought mid-30s was old, for chrissakes.

Yes, it's rare -- only about 3 percent of US marriages have an age gap of 15+ years between spouses. But the frequency with which people marry much younger partners is significantly greater when they are wealthy or famous.

The average 50-year-old will probably not be able to land himself a 25-year-old girlfriend. If he's wealthy or famous, he'll have a much better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

As said earlier, 20-something me would be weary of 50-somethings for the simple reason that ill-health is getting more and more likely at that age. Ill-health can strike at any age but for almost any illness apart from a small few, the incidence graphs go up with age. If I’m investing time in somebody, I want them to stick around.

And 50-somethings just weren’t even on our radars. Even professor crushes were rare. We thought mid-30s was old, for chrissakes.

Isn't it always men who know best about what women are thinking and feeling... obviously it's convenient for them to tell themselves that they as a 50 year old might have a chance with a 25 year old, but you're totally correct that it's rare among your average people in the street. There's zero point citing powerful men or billionaires or whatever. For the regular Joe, it's rare

Isn't it always men who know best about what women are thinking and feeling... obviously it's convenient for them to tell themselves that they as a 50 year old might have a chance with a 25 year old, but you're totally correct that it's rare among your average people in the street. There's zero point citing powerful men or billionaires or whatever. For the regular Joe, it's rare

This man has just acknowledged this exact same point in the post above yours. :)

However, the comments in the OP about women over 50 were made by a man who has written several prize-winning novels, has directed three films, and hosts a popular TV show. So he's not commenting from the perspective of the regular Joe.

I'm sure that award-winning writers, film directors, and TV presenters have younger women throwing themselves at them regularly -- but that's not the position of most 50-something men.

• Advertisement

This man has just acknowledged this exact same point in the post above yours. :)

However, the comments in the OP about women over 50 were made by a man who has written several prize-winning novels, has directed three films, and hosts a popular TV show. So he's not commenting from the perspective of the regular Joe.

I'm sure that award-winning writers, film directors, and TV presenters have younger women throwing themselves at them regularly -- but that's not the position of most 50-something men.

Yup...and to add, as a poster has already pointed out on this thread, plenty of famous women opted for a man that was younger than themselves. This was conveniently ignored and I will probably get called out for talking "bull".

This thread has proven successfully that in today's world, men are chastised for making any remarks regarding a women's appearance or their preference thereof.

Advertisement