Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your best moment farming.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Father was just saying there its 10 yrs ago since we had all here ploughed and harrowed to reseed and its only now we have every where growing grass. He's chuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Knowing that all the hard work was worth it....

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

Surviving my first year in farming, 2013. Bought the farm and every animal and machine on it now. No help except for paid contractors. Expect it will be a bit easier this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ABlur wrote: »
    Surviving my first year in farming, 2013. Bought the farm and every animal and machine on it now. No help except for paid contractors. Expect it will be a bit easier this year!

Good stuff out of you lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

God, you can almost tell the weather from the mood of people on here. Nothing like a bit of sunshine to left everyones spirit.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Delighted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Delighted for you.

Yup same here , its a fair achievement to buy land or stock or any machinery but to get all three together takes a fair bit of investment and confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

moy83 wrote: »
    Yup same here , its a fair achievement to buy land or stock or any machinery but to get all three together takes a fair bit of investment and confidence

Well it took 20 years to get here and the stock and machinery parts are no beauties!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Well it took 20 years to get here and the stock and machinery parts are no beauties!!

Once they're not Deeres or Holstein you're ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

Once they're not Deeres or Holstein you're ok

+ one on the Deeres.

• Advertisement

Don't go mad with machinery its easy to get addicted to big shiney stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Fair dues, takes a lot courage, commitment and a vocation to do that. The best of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Best moment:

two come to mind.
    one is the uncle telling me the aul lad would be very proud if he came back now and saw the changes to farm since he passed away. Meant a lot.

second one is very simple. My little lad (3) throwing on the wellies to give daddy a hand moving the cattle or feeding the meal. He has his own seaside bucket for the job:)

mf240 wrote: »
    + one on the Deeres.

Same as that

Don't go mad with machinery its easy to get addicted to big shiney stuff :D

Nothing wrong with big shiney stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Few things come to mind.

The very best moment had to be halter training my first calf with my dad and winning a few classes in the local show. The next year I picked and trained a calf myself (I was 13) and won the Young Stockperson award. My dad had the biggest smile on his face as I was the only girl in the class with about 10 other lads.:)

Being at the local mart and looking at dry cows with a dealer from Donegal and telling him that such and such would go the best price. He laughed at me and pointed out her faults and how the others in the pen were much better. She went the best price.

The knowledge that my dad can go off for a few days and leave me in charge to calve the cows with no worries about them. The way he stoutly proclaims he knows nothing about the bulls these days so he won't choose any AI bull without me agreeing with him.

Oh and the day of my 18th birthday Dad gave me the first pedigree Limousin bred on our farm, big red ribbon round her neck and her chewing on it. That was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

SFP day every year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

first day buying back in dairy heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

I love this thread.this might seem a strange but moving into the top tax bracket after years of scraping and struggling to get by

keep going wrote: »
    I love this thread.this might seem a strange but moving into the top tax bracket after years of scraping and struggling to get by

You need more HO so you can spend all your extra money on meal :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

[quote'sGreengrass1;90130185"]You need more HO so you can spend all your extra money on meal :D[/quote]

The HO's are why he's in the high tax bracket (and a ****e load of hard work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

takin over a lease on family farm an starting milking in jan 2013 as a 23 yr old new entrant, big step and commitment as loking at my friends flying t otherside of world partying like mad and I at home milking and paying loans

next moment was the ole lad saying lately he proud of what I have done and have achieved more on the farm in a 2 year than anyone ever imagined, that alone made me feel proud and happy and knowing my family and most important my girlfriend are behind me every step of the way is nice to know and without them I wouldnt be where I am today

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

case 956 wrote: »
    takin over a lease on family farm an starting milking in jan 2013 as a 23 yr old new entrant, big step and commitment as loking at my friends flying t otherside of world partying like mad and I at home milking and paying loans

next moment was the ole lad saying lately he proud of what I have done and have achieved more on the farm in a 2 year than anyone ever imagined, that alone made me feel proud and happy and knowing my family and most important my girlfriend are behind me every step of the way is nice to know and without them I wouldnt be where I am today

Fair play, all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

When the son or daughter of a costomer comes to buy more fresh calved heiffers

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wetdarknight2

when I paid off the loan on my first car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

keep going wrote: »

Loving this thread here as well, it goes to show that in spite of many of the disagreements we may have on this thread daily, deep down a lot of us are v similar, and it's similar things that make us happy. My own personal highlight at the moment is first doubling and now tripling milk volume at peak production with roughly the same milking block as I started out with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Loving this thread here as well, it goes to show that in spite of many of the disagreements we may have on this thread daily, deep down a lot of us are v similar, and it's similar things that make us happy. My own personal highlight at the moment is first doubling and now tripling milk volume at peak production with roughly the same milking block as I started out with

Has profit kept in line

milkprofit wrote: »
    Has profit kept in line

I'd like to think it has anyway! Not gonna start printing a load of my profit monitor figures, but think I have a reasonably good handle on my costs, normally in the top third of my discussion group and there's some top farmers in that group. Mostly got here from pushing stocking rate as high as I can by pushing as much grass as possible from the cows block. Also genetics have come along way since I started

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd like to think it has anyway! Not gonna start printing a load of my profit monitor figures, but think I have a reasonably good handle on my costs, normally in the top third of my discussion group and there's some top farmers in that group. Mostly got here from pushing stocking rate as high as I can by pushing as much grass as possible from the cows block. Also genetics have come along way since I started

Tripling production is a serious achievement, are you at your limit now? Do ya mind saying what sort of MS/Ha you are producing?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Tripling production is a serious achievement, are you at your limit now? Do ya mind saying what sort of MS/Ha you are producing?

837 kgs ms/ha,(feeding 780kgs of meal/cow) which still leaves room for improvement, v young herd here which should push out a lot more kgs in a few yrs time. Also still restricted by quota, had to milk OAD from oct 1st last yr. I'd like to think I'll get to 1000 kgs/ha by around 2016/17. Won't be preaching that out load, prefer to reach my targets and then talk about them. One thing to add, I took over a v inefficient farm when I started in 2002, there was milking cows, poor quality suckler cows, all calves being kept to bullocks/butchers heifers, a lot of v poor money making cattle being kept, it was not rocket science to decide to concentrate on the milkers.

Advertisement