Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your best moment farming.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

finding out i made a decent enough profit in my profit monitor for 2013:D was dreading doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    finding out i made a decent enough profit in my profit monitor for 2013:D was dreading doing it

May finish mine too :D
    Does your accountant not do it so all you have to do is put it into eprofit moniter?

May finish mine too :D
    Does your accountant not do it so all you have to do is put it into eprofit moniter?
    no i gave it to teagasc man when doing my sfp today

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

My best moment in Farming was when a guy came to look at some store cattle before i took some of them to the mart and said he would take the lot (61 of them)for almost 80 euro a head more than i had hoped they would make.He wrote the cheque there and then and i thought i was the best farmer in Ireland.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would always have listened to my father and other 'good judges' of cattle/sheep as a young fella from age 8 on....and picked up tips on what to look out for in stock,and remember going to a Ped Char bull sale in Naas with the father circa 30 yrs ago(long before the days of seeing a yard full of CF52 bulls:) )...went round the yard for a look at all bulls (approx 80 bulls) on my own,did my own judging before actual judging took place,picked out the 3 main prize winners in sale in correct order and most of highest priced sellers,had them marked in catalogue before the selling started,remember a neighbour who was at sale as well turning to my dad and saying ' ya know what that young lad can be let out'.
    Ps best moment as a very young farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

I'd like to think it has anyway! Not gonna start printing a load of my profit monitor figures, but think I have a reasonably good handle on my costs, normally in the top third of my discussion group and there's some top farmers in that group. Mostly got here from pushing stocking rate as high as I can by pushing as much grass as possible from the cows block. Also genetics have come along way since I started

U obviousleyon right track we'll done

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sold some wee heifers recently for €775. Bought them last October for €480.
    Just wish I'd bought more if them.

1 dose, meal for 6 weeks and then just silage over the winter, grazed silage ground for a few weeks in April . . Tested and out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

Winning dairy farmer of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

stanflt wrote: »

Well done. Dunworth got the message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Not like the other posts...or something outstanding lv done but the best moment(s) has to be every summer letting the cows and calves out into the field for the 1st time, healthy, happy, running and jumping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Taking over the farm from the da and the odd time he tells me I'm mAd doing sometimes then he goes talking to a mate of his or a neighbour and talking about all the grass I have or how well the cows are milking etc.he is really proud of what I've done since I took over and a massive help even though he was diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's last year.he wouldn't tell me that too often though but I love seeing him looking at the cows and the milk collection dockets or a pen of healthy calves and seeing the smile on his face

brill post, lm blubbering up a bit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jacking one of my pb BA heifers whilst 36 weeks pregnant with my first born :P
    FIL arrived on the scene to help.
    After several expletives and straining on the jack a healthy heifer calf arrived.
    I have a pic of eldest son showing and winning a prize of the first calf from that heifer at Tullow show some years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Well done not a bad days work.
    Who won beef section, neighbour was on short list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Fair play stanflt, that's a fair accomplishment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Winning sheep farmer of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

rangler1 wrote: »

Fair play to ye rangler, thats a great achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Well done. Only the best farmers on here.

Well done

Rangler, I KNOW you'll take this in the spirit it meant?????

I had a student some years ago who was sheep student of the year in his ag college. When interviewing him I asked how many in his class, he broke his hole laughing and told me there was one other.

Rangler, I KNOW you'll take this in the spirit it meant?????

I had a student some years ago who was sheep student of the year in his ag college. When interviewing him I asked how many in his class, he broke his hole laughing and told me there was one other.

Most young farmers don't want sheep, they have the image of being a lot of work. There's enough sheep in this country now for the demand that's out there
    I think the less people that go into sheep now, the better.

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    Well done not a bad days work.
    Who won beef section, neighbour was on short list

David and Paula Johnston from wicklow won the beef

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Well done rangler.

But i hate sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

mf240 wrote: »
    Well done rangler.

But i hate sheep.

Alot of lads aren't into beef or dairy but I notice alot that don't like sheep really hate them . I wonder why , are they that bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

moy83 wrote: »
    Alot of lads aren't into beef or dairy but I notice alot that don't like sheep really hate them . I wonder why , are they that bad ?

We used to have them. Stupid fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

same story here, if your at them you need to be at decent numbers otherwise is torture for the sake of torture imo, :mad:

ye a farmer i worked for said lamb chops or wooly jumper would be as close as he would get to sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

moy83 wrote: »

No, they're worse. Auld lad used to have 30 dairy cows, all cattle to finishing and 40 ewes. The amount of work with sheep is unbelievable. Between maggots, paring feet, daggin (worst job on planet earth) Nothing but pulling and dragging with them. Don't know how lads manage with a few hundred of them.

The day we got rid of them is on par with the birth of my son as the happiest day of my life.

In my childhood before my father got into cows we had 400 ewes along with tillage.

My father had a love for sheep and always missed them even after getting into cows. It must be genetic as I love them. If I wasn't into cows I'd have sheep in a heart beat.
    I even help out at the sheep shearing championships catching them as they come down the chute for examination by the judges
    I will stop and admire a field of sheep while driving and would always go to them at a show before any other livestock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

In my childhood before my father got into cows we had 400 ewes along with tillage.

My father had a love for sheep and always missed them even after getting into cows. It must be genetic as I love them. If I wasn't into cows I'd have sheep in a heart beat.
    I even help out at the sheep shearing championships catching them as they come down the chute for examination by the judges
    I will stop and admire a field of sheep while driving and would always go to them at a show before any other livestock.

Hardship must be bred into ye. You seem to love it :D

• Advertisement

Hardship must be bred into ye. You seem to love it :D
    in saying that it goes back to the other thread of the lad with 4 kids who never worked a day in his life, a farmer can not be idle , it is bred into us

Advertisement