Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your best moment farming.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

mf240 wrote: »
    We used to have them. Stupid fcukers.

They suit the farm here, sucklers would be in some mess on my land the way this year is shaping up, you wouldn't even know they were on the land in this wet, The farm is fragmented so sheep are easier moved around.
    Their just generally easier I suppose, but you have to have proper facilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Hardship must be bred into ye. You seem to love it :D

Thick as shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

In my childhood before my father got into cows we had 400 ewes along with tillage.

My father had a love for sheep and always missed them even after getting into cows. It must be genetic as I love them. If I wasn't into cows I'd have sheep in a heart beat.
    I even help out at the sheep shearing championships catching them as they come down the chute for examination by the judges
    I will stop and admire a field of sheep while driving and would always go to them at a show before any other livestock.

I like the sheep too. Have none now as have a few more cows, but one of the kids is on a mission to get a couple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Thick as shyte

And what's that got to do with the price of turnips! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »
    Winning sheep farmer of the year

Big well done rangler, ya must be delighted

Your lambs look to be really thriving, some of them lambs look to be well into the 30kg mark. Ya won't have a big meal for them this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Their just generally easier I suppose, but you have to have proper facilities

Have you a pair of good dogs also or how you gather them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Frazzledhome, since you have a thing for sheep why not get a few in for the winter to graze of any remaining grass? Best of both worlds.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Frazzledhome, since you have a thing for sheep why not get a few in for the winter to graze of any remaining grass? Best of both worlds.

I know a lady who tried it last year, didn't work out too well!!

When I farmed at home we always bought hoggets to graze beet tops. They were then used to graze OFF the grassland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Winning sheep farmer of the year

Good job Rangler, well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know a lady who tried it last year, didn't work out too well!!

When I farmed at home we always bought hoggets to graze beet tops. They were then used to graze OFF the grassland.
    worked well the year before though

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Have you a pair of good dogs also or how you gather them?

I wouldn't be able to do it without dogs, The two bigger batches here have over 400 sheep in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

It seemed to be the bigger operators that won that Zurich competition. I'm not taking away from the two lads that one the competion or anything. But was there many smaller farmers in it?
    Like your man Nolan from Carlow. He's a big operator and Stan has a good big herd too.
    They are all brilliant farmers but was it given because of the scale there at?
    Just to clarify I'm not begrudging any one anything these lads have put in lots of work into there farms

It seemed to be the bigger operators that won that Zurich competition. I'm not taking away from the two lads that one the competion or anything. But was there many smaller farmers in it?
    Like your man Nolan from Carlow. He's a big operator and Stan has a good big herd too.
    Just to clarify I'm not begrudging any one anything these lads have put in lots of work into there farms

Effen jealous, did you enter?

Effen jealous, did you enter?

Nah I didn't. Have a few more yrs yet before I could compete with other lads for Comps like that. Lots more work to do on farmyard and herd and the likes

I thought Willam Hutchinson would've won the sheep, his farm is treble mine and a good operator as well

razor8 wrote: »
    Big well done rangler, ya must be delighted

Your lambs look to be really thriving, some of them lambs look to be well into the 30kg mark. Ya won't have a big meal for them this year

Thanks for that,
    Having the next STAP meeting here, so I had to weigh 10% of them at 6wks, doubles were doing 2.5kg/wk, singles 2.8kg/wk so they nearly couldn't be 30......that picture was taken at 9wks

I thought Willam Hutchinson would've won the sheep, his farm is treble mine and a good operator as well

He wasn't high up in the IFA, ha!!!

He wasn't high up in the IFA, ha!!!

IFA and Farming Independent....don't think so:eek:

IFA and Farming Independent....don't think so:eek:

LOL, I knew you'd see the irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

mf240 wrote: »
    We used to have them. Stupid fcukers.

I'd take sheep before sucklers any day

just kept sucklers long enough to build up my SFP

• Advertisement

do you nominate yourself for this or are you nominated by someone else?

whelan2 wrote: »

Not sure tbh. I think it can be done both ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Congrats rangler. Was it this year competition u won?

I was nominated by one of the writers of the sheep diary on the FI, the chance of €2500 swung it for me,
    Sea, the awards were Friday night, I was in Italy, so wasn't there until 1am so my wife took the honour

<Deleted post by Author request>

Ouch!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

I was nominated by one of the writers of the sheep diary on the FI, the chance of €2500 swung it for me,
    Sea, the awards were Friday night, I was in Italy, so wasn't there until 1am so my wife took the honour

had the pleasure of meeting your wife- well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

<Deleted post by Author request>

Ouch!!!!
    didnt mean anything bad by it but we all know very good farmers who dont get any recognition for what they do

munkus wrote: »
    2 members highlighted that they won major recognition in their field (pardon the pun) and this comment is what you come out with!

Well done lads.
    seriously i did not mean anything bad by it, well done to the lads, i know i for one can only dream of getting an award

• Advertisement

Guys well done, great achievement to win a national award. It's even better to have the confidence to put or allow your name to be out forward.

I hope all winners will be having open days as this is what we can benchmark ourselves against. I've learned a lot from visiting top farmers.

Lots of people sit in the grass to knock others because its easier than competing or pushing themselves.

Advertisement