Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

golodge wrote: »

Sadly your links ain't working for me. I can't see any pictures.

EDIT: It looks to me when I quoted them the quoted links work :-)

@Golodge, Nice compact calves alright. What age do ya calve down the heifers at?
    The Ch heifer doesn't look like she's gonna milk that well, sometimes the quality of the milk can be very good though and she'll get by!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

whelan2 wrote: »
    the one in the photo calved last night, she had a smasher of an aa heifer calf

Just wondering the comparison, calf price, milk price etc.
    If as good or better, could be an option for potential of suckler farmers to use sexed fr on good cows & sell to dairy to calve at 2yo under contract.
    Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭golodge

@Golodge, Nice compact calves alright. What age do ya calve down the heifers at?
    The Ch heifer doesn't look like she's gonna milk that well, sometimes the quality of the milk can be very good though and she'll get by!

Usually heifers are bred not younger than 21 month old. This Charx heifer is 34 months old. Second heifer is 9 days elder, but 34 months old too.Charolais heifer half sister(3/4Charolais too) doesn't have very big udder, but her calves are very growthy and heavy at the weaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

They're fairly optimistic about overtaking around here aren't they? About 4 of these signs on this road/lane for about 2 miles.

BxU5IUgl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    They're fairly optimistic about overtaking around here aren't they? About 4 of these signs on this road/lane for about 2 miles.

BxU5IUgl.jpg

Ah yeah but that's bandit country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Sure if the sign wasn't there there would be plenty of room!

Damo810 wrote: »
    Sure if the sign wasn't there there would be plenty of room!

They put it right where everyone used to pull in to let other by as well!

golodge wrote: »
    Usually heifers are bred not younger than 21 month old. This Charx heifer is 34 months old. Second heifer is 9 days elder, but 34 months old too.Charolais heifer half sister(3/4Charolais too) doesn't have very big udder, but her calves are very growthy and heavy at the weaning.

Wow, I'd be bulling them heifers before 18mths old calving down 26/27 mths, two heifers for the bull at the moment and they're currently 14/15 mths one has been AI'd already the other any day now. Both heifers around 480kgs.

The bottom line ain't how big the elder is but like you say the quality of the calf they produce. For me this is the measure of a cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Wow, I'd be bulling them heifers before 18mths old calving down 26/27 mths, two heifers for the bull at the moment and they're currently 14/15 mths one has been AI'd already the other any day now. Both heifers around 480kgs.

The bottom line ain't how big the elder is but like you say the quality of the calf they produce. For me this is the measure of a cow!
    I'd be the same. More than a handful is a waste!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭golodge

Yes, I agree too. Have one cow which isn't very impressive, but her calves she'd produced are probably the best from all our calves. She had both heifer and bull. Bull was much more muscular than his parents. Heifer is the type of breeding heifers we like the most. She'll defenitely will be left for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

They put it right where everyone used to pull in to let other by as well!

That's why it's there to stop that kind of thing. You don't want cars passing each other even if they're going 2 different directions.

That's why it's there to stop that kind of thing. You don't want cars passing each other even if they're going 2 different directions.

What do ya do if two cars meet then if one can't pull in :confused:

Reggie. wrote: »
    What do ya do if two cars meet then if one can't pull in :confused:

We reverse until we find a place. Can't all have big roads like in the midlands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

We reverse until we find a place. Can't all have big roads like in the midlands!

I give up reversing for tourist season, just bring a flask of tae and let the seat back, they soon learn.

I give up reversing for tourist season, just bring a flask of tae and let the seat back, they soon learn.

I live on the top of a steep hill so revering is not fun or easy. Yet some of my neighbours seem to have bought cars with no reverse gear :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Nothing like a bank holiday for a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Putting in a new garden I see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I live on the top of a steep hill so revering is not fun or easy. Yet some of my neighbours seem to have bought cars with no reverse gear :rolleyes:

They get them from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Rest???? :)

• Advertisement

sheebadog wrote: »
    Rest???? :)

Your drinking so away with you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Hi new to this site. We had the vet out last Tuesday to bring on the calf as she was 25 days overdue, he give an injection nothing happened. The reason we called him out was because we lost a Limousin bull calf the day before as the cow was 29 days over, sadly she wasn't spotted sooner. Too long calving.

This cow is 31 days today, last night we thought she calf as she was losing the milk but she lost a lot of milk her udder was full going into the shed it is now empty. She also had a clear discharge. We kept an eye on her all night thought she calf within two hours she also panting but no. She is down the field now resting and eating and no sign.

Should we start getting worried that there is something wrong?

hopgirl wrote: »
    Hi new to this site. We had the vet out last Tuesday to bring on the calf as she was 25 days overdue, he give an injection nothing happened. The reason we called him out was because we lost a Limousin bull calf the day before as the cow was 29 days over, sadly she wasn't spotted sooner. Too long calving.

This cow is 31 days today, last night we thought she calf as she was losing the milk but she lost a lot of milk her udder was full going into the shed it is now empty. She also had a clear discharge. We kept an eye on her all night thought she calf within two hours she also panting but no. She is down the field now resting and eating and no sign.

What breed is she, were her pin bones down? How many days did she carry over last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Have the worst case of ringworm we ever had in a heifer lads. I see sores on her now that are bleeding from where she was scratching. Don't normally do anything with them but she's a bit of an exceptional case. Is there any alternative to imavarol for it and can it be put on cut skin like this?

Got it at home for first year in a long time. Waste oil was only thing to get rid of it. Disinfect everything after it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Hi hop girl, welcome to the mad house

1. Are you working off scan dats or AI
    2. Was it your stock bull, could she have repeated unknown to you

She is a Limousin and carrying a limousin calf. She went on her due date didn't carry anytime with her. Not sure were they down or not last night but they are not today.

Our neighbour has a few bulls does call outs so we give her a limousin bull. He wrote down the dates when she was due and mum wrote it too. When the vet examined her on Tuesday he said the calf was a big calf.

Sorry not great with the words to do with farming, I have being away from farming for a few years back now it is my parents farm.

Our neighbour has a few bulls does call outs so we give her a limousin bull. He wrote down the dates when she was due and mum wrote it too. When the vet examined her on Tuesday he said the calf was a big calf.

Sorry not great with the words to do with farming, I have being away from farming for a few years back now it is my parents farm.

Welcome to boards anyway! What exactly do you have written down for her due date? When you say the neighbour has a few bulls and does call outs, the bull paid a visit himself? Not that that matters much!

Her pins would have stayed doesnt if they were down for calving so she's not at that stage yet. Hard to say, we normally just leave them be and keep a close eye on them when they get close. I'd be worried if one of ours had dripped all the beastings out though, calf will lose out when he arrives. Is there any way you can get your neighbour with the bulls to look at her? He might be able to give you a better synopsis of the situation as it's impossible to say anything without seeing the cow.

@hopgirl, the most important thing you need to know is how many days she is in calf? Do ya know the date she was served?
    This racket of she's such and such overdue does nothing but cause confusion, cos different people have different ideas as to what exactly is overdue!
    So tell us the day she was bulled and we'll tell ya exactly when to panic :-)
    Welcome aboard :^)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

The odd dry cow does actually have a heifer when they do turn up in calf, future milker :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement