Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

reddington wrote: »
    Lads Limerick fire service advertised today full time positions good luck to you all

Emm......one thing though

It's f*cking Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

shaunac93 wrote: »

On the list of questions you must be able to answer 'yes' to in order to be deemed suitable to apply...

"Do you suffer from aquaphobia, claustrophobia, or vertigo?"

They must need some right nervous firemen in Limerick! :D

Or a proof reader. Maybe I could go for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fire Service Ready

reddington wrote: »
    Lads Limerick fire service advertised today full time positions good luck to you all

Best of luck. This is a real opportunity in a busy fire service even though it's in limerick. Were here if Any one need help fireserviceready.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Best of luck. This is a real opportunity in a busy fire service even though it's in limerick. Were here if Any one need help fireserviceready.com

The forum is obviously here for people to help and assist people who have ambitions to join the relevant ES.

From reading all your posts your main function here seems to be to advertise and plug your courses. I have no issue with you charging people to attend courses which maybe benificial to them in their job prospects but I was under the illusion that this type of advertising and plugging is against Boards rules.

There is obviously going to be a distinct bias in your posts when you are here to obviously sell a service.

I'm very surprised that Boards mods haven't picked up on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

I thought it was odd this was allowed myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Fire Service Ready

Paulzx wrote: »
    The forum is obviously here for people to help and assist people who have ambitions to join the relevant ES.

From reading all your posts your main function here seems to be to advertise and plug your courses. I have no issue with you charging people to attend courses which maybe benificial to them in their job prospects but I was under the illusion that this type of advertising and plugging is against Boards rules.

There is obviously going to be a distinct bias in your posts when you are here to obviously sell a service.

I'm very surprised that Boards mods haven't picked up on this

Hi, it's unfortunate you felt the need to post this however I totally respect your opinion. You are correct that we are offering a service to assist people with a fire service recruitment process and this has never been denied. We have also posted information that has been factually correct and in particular with the current Limerick full time positions . As individuals on this thread really want to get into the ES we have a lot of information and insight to offer and unfortunately this cannot all be relayed on a forum like this. Practically it is not possible hence the educational camps.

Hi, it's unfortunate you felt the need to post this however I totally respect your opinion. You are correct that we are offering a service to assist people with a fire service recruitment process and this has never been denied. We have also posted information that has been factually correct and in particular with the current Limerick full time positions . As individuals on this thread really want to get into the ES we have a lot of information and insight to offer and unfortunately this cannot all be relayed on a forum like this. Practically it is not possible hence the educational camps.

Why is it unfortunate? It's fact.

I have no issue with you running courses and charging for it. Nobody is forced to attend them. It's up to each individual to research the course and decide if it's right for them.

It's using a free forum which is here to provide info to drum up business which I have a bit of a problem with (especially when it's supposed to be against the rules and spirit of the forum).

And to be fair telling people Limerick might be recruiting a week before the official announcement is hardly revealing the third secret of Fatima.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Paulzx wrote:
    It's using a free forum which is here to provide info to drum up business which I have a bit of a problem with (especially when it's supposed to be against the rules and spirit of the forum).

Paulzx wrote:
    I have no issue with you running courses and charging for it. Nobody is forced to attend them. It's up to each individual to research the course and decide if it's right for them.

Paulzx wrote:
    Why is it unfortunate? It's fact.

Paulzx wrote:
    And to be fair telling people Limerick might be recruiting a week before the official announcement is hardly revealing the third secret of Fatima.

I think it is something that should be cleared up. I was on the understanding promoting your services or business was not allowed across the whole site.

You see it all the time in other sections where people are asking to for recommendations and they are pointed to sticky's and told self promotion is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone know if the internal recruitment is still open/closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

Closes today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

on rte website;
    "Firefighters and management at the Dublin Fire Brigade have agreed to attend talks at the Labour Relations Commission in a bid to avert industrial action in a row over recruitment.

Dublin firefighters belonging to SIPTU voted 96% in favour of industrial action last week, with 87% prepared to back full strike action.

The dispute centres on how vacancies are to be filled in the brigade, which employs 800 full-time firefighters.

There are currently 80 vacancies but that is expected to rise to 100 by the end of the year.

SIPTU had urged the council to hold an immediate open competition as it believed that an internal competition would not be able to secure sufficient recruits.

The union argues that without immediate recruitment, there could be health and safety risks, including some fire appliances unable to be deployed due to understaffing.

It is understood that last May, unions and Dublin City Council agreed to fill the vacancies by open competition.

However, the Council has since proceeded with a confined or internal competition.

SIPTU's Disputes Committee was due to decide at the end of the week whether to take industrial action.

Dublin City Council confirmed this afternoon that it had sought the assistance of the LRC and both sides have confirmed that they will attend talks expected to get underway within the next fortnight."

In the news today. I'm presuming if DCC can prove they can get numbers together internally it wont go public?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

It's full steam ahead with organising aptitude tests anyway

what number applied internally in the end?

Numbers are down as expected.

Numbers are down as expected.

Not a big surprise.

The word that's filtering down is that management say that the Public appointments crowd are not in a position to run the competition at the moment. Of course if DCC management had taken their thumbs out of their asses a couple of years ago everything would be in place.

I've heard through the grapevine that they are prepared to advertise externally in Jan 2016. However, there is nothing to stop Mr. Keegan sticking his oar in again and continue with his preferred option of no recruitment and down manning DFB as a matter of policy.

Unfortunately we're not only up against budgetry policies but an ideological bias towards destroying publicly operated services and then outsourcing. Enter the building Owen Keegan!!!

Dates are set for aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helsbels31

Dates are set for aptitude tests.

Do you know what those dates are & when people will be sent invitation to attend apptitude testing? Also is this followed by interview in an internal competition?
    Sorry for all the questions.

End of Sept and possibly into first week of October. Presume invitation will go out soon as they like to give 2 weeks notice. Most definitely will be an interview also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helsbels31

Anybody any tips on preparation? What each testing process entails.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/firefighters-in-dublin-to-start-industrial-action-next-month-over-safety-concerns-31539567.html

Firefighters in Dublin to start industrial action next month over safety concerns
    By Alan O’Keeffe

Published
    18/09/2015 | 21:39

SIPTU members in Dublin Fire Brigade have served notice they will begin industrial action on October 5 due to safety concerns over staffing levels.

The union claimed Dublin City Council has failed to maintain agreed minimum “safety critical staffing levels.”

Union sector organizer, Brendan O’Brien, said the firefighters were left with no option but to start industrial action because of a failure to maintain agreed staffing levels critical to providing safe systems of work.

The industrial action will initially take the form of refusing to work “unsustainable levels of voluntary overtime” on selected dates.

Management of the fire service will be informed of these dates in the coming days, said Mr O’Brien.

Union convener for the fire brigade, Gerry Harris, said last night the firefighters were “forced into this regrettable action because of management reneging on an agreement concerning the recruitment of new firefighters which was reached in May 2015.”

“This agreement set out a plan to recruit new firefighters which was in line with a circular from the Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly, that directed management to ensure safety critical posts where maintained at agreed levels,” he said.

SIPTU representatives agreed to attend a number of meetings of the Labour Relations Commission (LRC) in an attempt to find another solution. However, at these meetings the brigade’s management and the City Council failed to present a credible alternative plan,” claimed Mr Harris.

“At present, Dublin Fire Brigade cannot provide a full service to the public without the use of unsustainable levels of overtime and the cancellation of safety critical firefighter training.” Today, due to understaffing, the service in Donnybrook Fire Station was reduced to 50pc cover even though there were 22 firefighters on overtime.

SIPTU members in the brigade voted for industrial action, up to and including strike action in a ballot.

The union claims the fire service is 70 firefighters under strength. This figure is expected to have risen to over 100 by next year meaning the service will be up to 15pc less than the required level of firefighters to meet safety standards, he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I got a reply to my question from the Minister, see below.
    Question No. 1368

Chun an Aire Comhshaoil, Pobail agus Rialtais Áitiúil:
    To the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government:

To ask the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government his views on correspondence (details supplied) regarding recruitment for the Dublin Fire Brigade; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

- Finian McGrath.

For WRITTEN answer on Tuesday, 22nd September, 2015.

Ref No: 30623/15

Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government (Deputy Alan Kelly)

My Department works closely with Dublin City Council in relation to the staffing needs of Dublin Fire Brigade. My Department recently approved requests from Dublin City Council, to hold both an open and a confined competition to fill firefighter vacancies that arise in Dublin Fire Brigade.

It is my understanding that details of the open competition, which will be organised through the Public Appointments Service, will be announced shortly.

Dáil Éireann
    Leinster House
    Kildare Street, Dublin 2
    Tel: 618 3031/3942
    Fax: 618 4993
    www.finianmcgrath.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

I see industrial action was lifted last night. Does this mean open recruitment will be going ahead??

Agreement has been reached. I have yet to see the full details but external recruitment is part of it and there is to be no drop in numbers from the existing establishment.

I think the plan is to start a class in January made up of people from the latest internal recruitment and the first 10 ESC's ( who have not been shafted contrary to some peoples opinions)

An internal advertisment for recruit instructors for 2016 has been circulated in order to get officers to train the planned classes.

Promotion panels for Station Officer and Sub Officer are also in the pipeline to go along with the already advertised District Officer positions. This will obviously have the consequential knock on effect of creating more Firefighter vacancies

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Paulzx wrote: »
    Agreement has been reached. I have yet to see the full details but external recruitment is part of it and there is to be no drop in numbers from the existing establishment.

I think the plan is to start a class in January made up of people from the latest internal recruitment and the first 10 ESC's ( who have not been shafted contrary to some peoples opinions)

An internal advertisment for recruit instructors for 2016 has been circulated in order to get officers to train the planned classes.

Promotion panels for Station Officer and Sub Officer are also in the pipeline to go along with the already advertised District Officer positions. This will obviously have dthe consequential knock on effect of creating more Firefighter vacancies

Rumour they'll be recruiting this month, have you heard the same Paul?

I believe it's now 9 ESCOs plus remaining FFs from previous panel making next FF class.

Will that be a small class then? What about the current internal competition?

Aptitude tests finish today. Interviews in November. Could they feasibly start in Jan? Possibly

Many sit the tests?

• Advertisement

Looking at a mid-November closing date for external recruitment campaign.

Advertisement