Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

SAFO wrote: »
    You just don't get it do you? You really just don't get it.

If the ESCOs are expected to fulfill this 3 year contract: why did DFB management make them undergo the firefighter fitness tests in the OBI prior to taking up the positions instead of waiting until the 3 years were up?

The logical answer to that question is that they were never expected to complete the 3 years as ESCOs.

And yes you are correct they have contracts that specify 3 years in the control room but, contracts and agreements are drawn up with a specific spirit attached to them.

You may have attended a minuted meeting and been told otherwise but there are an awful lot of officers and firefighters who did and continue to see it differently to you.

I have never once said that the ESCOs are being treated unfairly on their shift duties, as a matter of fact they are being treated extremely well and inclusively by the officers and firefighters in Townsend Street. They have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

It baffles me why you are so against the ESCOs becoming firefighters earlier than 3 years. Have they not gone through the same process as you? What difference does it make to you or anybody else when they become firefighters?

As for the section committee I have never insulted them, I just repeated their response to the ESCOs. Actually to be fair two lads supported them.

For the record: I have never insulted you or Dublin Fire Brigade but for your part your responses have contained accusations and insults aimed towards me. You also accused the ESCOs of whinging.

I won't be responding to any more of your posts because I believe it is pointless. So you can continue to insult me or whatever but for my part I have no further interest in engaging with you.

Best of luck in your career and stay safe.

You know what?.........I had a detailed reply but there's no point. You've again attributed things to me that i have not said........so I'll leave it alone.

thatboy wrote: »
    I agree with Reddington. I think the ESCO's are in a strong position here. Paulzx do you see any possibility of it being advertised externally?

Everything is up in the air. It was brought to the Labour court (again!!) this week.

Looking at it in a black and white way the solution is simple. We are seriously understaffed and cannot meet our daily manning levels. Recruit now.

However, DCC wish to completey downgrade the service provision and the manning level required to achieve this. Stalling any type of recruitment is helpfull to those that subscribe to this opinion. Under their vision for the future the optimum staffing levels would seriously drop ( despite no risk assesments or anlysis having taken place ). The safety of the public we serve and firefighters will be compromised. It is an idealogical viewpoint that counts nothing but the euro cost of a service that will never make money. The whole concept of giving the public a fit for purpose and safe service is alien.

The correct way to proceed is to accept we need staff urgently. Plan a combination of internal, external and ESC progression to get this.

Having external recruit classes back training every year like previously will actually benifet the existing ESC's as they will be tagged onto them with a constant turnover. This doesn't seem to be obvious to some.

Either way this situation has reached a critical point and a row is brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fire Service Ready

Were first time users of Boards guys. Alot of good information going around this group guys. The situation on the recruitment is quite precarious with City Manager and DFB however one thing is for certain - Promotions have been advertised so Officer ranks will be filled over the coming months which will leave a major gap in firefighter numbers. Whatever you hear could change extremely quickly so think about getting some training and preparing your CV well in advance to be ready for when its advertised. We are running an educational camp to help with this in August if you know anyone interested.

reddington wrote: »
    Where will this be taking place in August

22nd & 23rd in carlton hotel Dublin Airport. We have a Facebook page at fire service recruitment ready for details and updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

22nd & 23rd in carlton hotel Dublin Airport. We have a Facebook page at fire service recruitment ready for details and updates

I don't mean to shoot you down, but we had this crack with the Garda. Waste of time, best advise I can give anyone. Get good at aptitude tests there all that matter in joining any type of ES.

I also e-mailed my local TD on the 4 CC's deciding that its okay to hire internally for FF roles in DFB.

Also I will voice my concern that it looks like an attempt to downgrade the good work DFB do in running the ambulance service along side the fire service. I for one think that having two services IE HSE and DFB, responding to an incident with in Dublin will cause serious issues. The current system works well. If there's no ambulance available in Dublin a fire appliance will be dispatched. But what happens in a situation, where no HSE ambulance is available for the Dublin area and we have downgraded our fire service so they are not trained paramedics. This is just removing the mesh and backup.

I know someone will quote England, these guys are years ahead of us, in fact they would be so far advanced there would be backups for backups if the ambulances and fire service where attending incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

TallGlass wrote: »

I for one think that having two services IE HSE and DFB, responding to an incident with in Dublin will cause serious issues .

This already happens all over dublin and has always been the case both services work well together it causes no issues

Before it starts by the way I believe DFB should keep the ambulances and keep training paramedics all that should remain as is but the one central dispatch for all ambulances is a good idea nearest resources are then sent no matter the badge on the door or even a mixture of badges on the door it don't matter as long as the are dispatched.

The them and us sh1t needs to stop all paramedics and advanced paramedics in both services are fantastic and it makes no odds who arrives as long as the do

Hey TallGlass thanks for the feedback and I can understand that you my have been let down before particularly with the Garda one as mentioned. Also id like to thank Reddington for your comments too.

As a new entity it can be difficult for people to totally get what your about so this is it!! We actually want to help the people who are actually interested to get into the service. I know you said you looked at the website and its not for you but don't let a free website/platform cloud your judgement. The course outline has been specifically designed to provide you with the qualifications similar to what would be expected from a new recruit. If lucky enough to get to interview these qualifications will not only gain you additional points but also tell the interviewers that your serious about the getting the job.

With regard to the aptitude/CV/Interview skills part of our course, Paul from Test preparations.ie is actually delivering this module for us and Paul and I have spoken in detail about how his course and our course will actually work in tandem due to the fact that they are different stages of the process.

Simply put if you don't pass the Aptitude test your gone. If you do pass and don't have anything further to offer your gone. This is where both our services are going to give you the best chances of success.

We have the best and most qualified instructors on this program and I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

When should we find out whether this is going to be internal or external recruitment? Or is it gonna keep dragging on and on?

bono_v wrote: »
    When should we find out whether this is going to be internal or external recruitment? Or is it gonna keep dragging on and on?

Its definitely at a stall right now. Agreement was there for external recruitment by all stakeholders but one individual blocked it for now. Situation is firefighter numbers was under quota and DO promotions now advertised which will have a knock on effect all the way through the ranks. This will lead to further numbers in fire fighters. In our opinion it's only matter of time before recruitment needs to be done and we believe when the decision is made the whole process will happen quickly, so now is the time to get prepared.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Was slated for internal advertisement on Thursday.

I was led to believe the first group of ESCOs plus 8 remaining on FF panel would be first class.

Was slated for internal advertisement on Thursday.

I was led to believe the first group of ESCOs plus 8 remaining on FF panel would be first class.

Can't be 100% on that so don't want to give wrong advice. Best advice I can give is don't worry about info like that and concentrate on your own game plan.

I've no interest haha! Just trying to pass on info that my position allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Oh I'm ready alright. Gameplan has been in place 15 years at this stage working non stop to get into dfb. This is last chance saloon for me though. If its internal recruitment after all this itll be hard to take.

No change as yet to the planned advertising on Thursday (internal).

thatboy wrote: »
    They expecting many to apply internally Arruabarrena?

What where number like last time?

Guys more than likely internal advertisement tomorrow however don't be too disillusioned as this more than likely won't achieve required numbers.

• Advertisement

The advertisement on Thursday is definitely internal. Who knows what the future holds?...

New class of ESCOs on the way too to free up the first batch to be released as class 1 with the 8 remaining from current FF panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thatboy

ESCOs off a panel or internal too?

ESCOs off the panel. But there will be a new internal advertisement for more.

How many are on that panel?

Don't know how many are left

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=905569216180568

Thats it then. Advertised internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Heartbreaking

Hey Guys I know its heartbreaking to see this internal advertisement but we have been reliably informed that all the positions wont be filled internally which will result in an external advertisement. Also in the interim keep an eye out for other fire services around the country. We think Limerick might be recruiting shortly. Even if another county is not for you the process will be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

thanks ,,,,, let's see what the coming months bring , we are all feeling the same way tonight frustrated and disappointed

Hey Guys I know its heartbreaking to see this internal advertisement but we have been reliably informed that all the positions wont be filled internally which will result in an external advertisement.

Impossible to say that at this stage.

They only need 19 new people from this advertisement. Hardly a massive ask.

How are they making up 66 then?

38 FF
    28 ESCO

38 FF split as follows:

19 of them are 11 ESCOs from call centre plus 8 remaining FF on panel. That class are due to start in January. The other 19 will be from the new panel.

Thanks for update. So is the ESCO role being phased out or how will they be replaced?

No, they plan on advertising internally for that also but at a later date (unknown as yet). I presume that could be subject to change re internal/external.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

I think you'll find that the mentioned figure of 66 is very conservative. There is approximately 60 FFs eligible to retire either now, or in the next 12-24 months. Not to mention the prospect of existing FFs getting promoted to Sub when the promotions start to trickle down.

u2gooner wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the mentioned figure of 66 is very conservative. There is approximately 60 FFs eligible to retire either now, or in the next 12-24 months. Not to mention the prospect of existing FFs getting promoted to Sub when the promotions start to trickle down.

As we posted before guys. DO posts already advertised and in motion. This naturally will lead to SO And Sub Officer posts requiring to be filled which will only add to already staff depletion and future retirements.

Hang in their guys especially reddington as this will happen, Just not sure when !! But mark my words you need to be prepared - and we can help.

What was result of SIPTU ballot?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

Still ongoing

I only speak about the present as it's fact and not speculation. Don't like getting people's hopes up etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

Forget about DFB now lads. This internal recruiting and the control room lads been trained will do DFB for a good while yet I rekon .

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Forget about DFB now lads. This internal recruiting and the control room lads been trained will do DFB for a good while yet I rekon .

Have to agree with Tintin. Despite rumours, I dont think the city manger will be easily swayed to change his mind, given his past record.

Lads Limerick fire service advertised today full time positions good luck to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Lads Limerick fire service advertised today full time positions good luck to you all
    link to advertisement http://www.limerick.ie/council/current-job-vacancies

• Advertisement

That's the one fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Emm......one thing though

It's f*cking Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

shaunac93 wrote: »

On the list of questions you must be able to answer 'yes' to in order to be deemed suitable to apply...

"Do you suffer from aquaphobia, claustrophobia, or vertigo?"

They must need some right nervous firemen in Limerick! :D

Or a proof reader. Maybe I could go for that...

Best of luck. This is a real opportunity in a busy fire service even though it's in limerick. Were here if Any one need help fireserviceready.com

Best of luck. This is a real opportunity in a busy fire service even though it's in limerick. Were here if Any one need help fireserviceready.com

The forum is obviously here for people to help and assist people who have ambitions to join the relevant ES.

From reading all your posts your main function here seems to be to advertise and plug your courses. I have no issue with you charging people to attend courses which maybe benificial to them in their job prospects but I was under the illusion that this type of advertising and plugging is against Boards rules.

There is obviously going to be a distinct bias in your posts when you are here to obviously sell a service.

I'm very surprised that Boards mods haven't picked up on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

I thought it was odd this was allowed myself!

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »
    The forum is obviously here for people to help and assist people who have ambitions to join the relevant ES.

From reading all your posts your main function here seems to be to advertise and plug your courses. I have no issue with you charging people to attend courses which maybe benificial to them in their job prospects but I was under the illusion that this type of advertising and plugging is against Boards rules.

There is obviously going to be a distinct bias in your posts when you are here to obviously sell a service.

I'm very surprised that Boards mods haven't picked up on this

Hi, it's unfortunate you felt the need to post this however I totally respect your opinion. You are correct that we are offering a service to assist people with a fire service recruitment process and this has never been denied. We have also posted information that has been factually correct and in particular with the current Limerick full time positions . As individuals on this thread really want to get into the ES we have a lot of information and insight to offer and unfortunately this cannot all be relayed on a forum like this. Practically it is not possible hence the educational camps.

Hi, it's unfortunate you felt the need to post this however I totally respect your opinion. You are correct that we are offering a service to assist people with a fire service recruitment process and this has never been denied. We have also posted information that has been factually correct and in particular with the current Limerick full time positions . As individuals on this thread really want to get into the ES we have a lot of information and insight to offer and unfortunately this cannot all be relayed on a forum like this. Practically it is not possible hence the educational camps.

Why is it unfortunate? It's fact.

I have no issue with you running courses and charging for it. Nobody is forced to attend them. It's up to each individual to research the course and decide if it's right for them.

It's using a free forum which is here to provide info to drum up business which I have a bit of a problem with (especially when it's supposed to be against the rules and spirit of the forum).

And to be fair telling people Limerick might be recruiting a week before the official announcement is hardly revealing the third secret of Fatima.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Paulzx wrote:
    It's using a free forum which is here to provide info to drum up business which I have a bit of a problem with (especially when it's supposed to be against the rules and spirit of the forum).

Paulzx wrote:
    I have no issue with you running courses and charging for it. Nobody is forced to attend them. It's up to each individual to research the course and decide if it's right for them.

Paulzx wrote:
    Why is it unfortunate? It's fact.

Paulzx wrote:
    And to be fair telling people Limerick might be recruiting a week before the official announcement is hardly revealing the third secret of Fatima.

I think it is something that should be cleared up. I was on the understanding promoting your services or business was not allowed across the whole site.

You see it all the time in other sections where people are asking to for recommendations and they are pointed to sticky's and told self promotion is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone know if the internal recruitment is still open/closed?

Closes today

• Advertisement
Advertisement