Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruit Prison Officer 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Arod13 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what your BMI was?
    The CMO uses common sense,when he sees you he’ll prob roll his eyes and just send you through!
    Think they know that the BMI doesn’t paint an accurate pic of the candidate but they still use it for some reason!

In the 30s I think, not going to lie I do need to lose about 2 stone but I cant track my weight properly with a scales so I rely on clothes getting looser :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RPO Candidate 2019

Would the majority of candidates going forward for this position have a degree in something?

It just seems the way irish education is at the moment that the calibre of candidates for even the simplest jobs are over qualified .

Not necessarily. The minimum educational requirements for the position is:

In the Established Leaving Certificate a minimum of grade D3 (O6 from 2017 onwards) at Ordinary level, or C3 (F5 from 2017) at Foundation Level, in at least 5 subjects.

You could hold a PhD in astrophysics, but that won't count for anything if you fail to affectively display the competencies that the job demands throughout the recruitment process.

Don't get me wrong, educational achievements are never a bad thing when applying for a job. But in this case, once you have the minimal requirements I wouldn't worry too much about it. Concentrate on passing your interview (if you haven't already done so) and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 patrickpints

Got an email this morning saying I have been passed medically for the pct and inviting me to the 7th of november test. Might put it back to december to be sure as the running is the but I'm worried about

Can anyone from a previous year who's done there PCT confirm this. I heard that even if you dont get in the 40 shuttles in the 3.30 minutes you will still pass as long as you keep running, am I just grasping at straws here? Lol

Hmmm, unlikely I would say.

Given that the rules of each stage have been strictly adhered to so far (in my experience, at least), I can't imagine they'd take a more laid back approach at this late juncture.

I was in a similar situation to you only very recently. The running was a major concern. But I practiced the shuttle runs once a day and improved my time surprisingly quickly. I can now comfortably finish it within the time limit. I also found that walking was a great way of building up my overall stamina. Just make a commitment to do a certain amount of training each day and stick to it. You don't have to be Linford Christie in order to pass.

Best of luck.

Any idea if you fail on the day do you have to repeat it that day or get to come back a 2nd day?

Any idea if you fail on the day do you have to repeat it that day or get to come back a 2nd day?

A different day, as far as I'm aware.

A different day, as far as I'm aware.

I might ring them tuesday to be sure

Anyone else get their security clearance back?

Think you need to pass the fitness first.

• Advertisement

I might ring them tuesday to be sure

It wouldn't do any harm. Just to be certain. But I honestly couldn't see them making a candidate repeat the physical after failing it on the same day. Say it was down to an injury or sickness on the day in question which affected the candidate's performance, it's highly unlikely that they would be able to repeat it and pass under those circumstances on the same day. But I'm only speculating.

No. Did you get yours back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lorcanber1

Hi all ,
    Have my stage 3 interview in 2 weeks time and have basically put in zero effort , can any1 tell me what I can do to help , I haven't received the familarisation material yet , I have a prep interview booked with a lady for next week , she does them for prison recruitment so that would be a help , any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Borrow

My bmi was over 30s
    Once your reasonably fit your ok.youll do a step test and if heart rate goes over 144 while doing it you fail.
    Pct is ok.dont worry about it too much.very hard to fail.you dont need to be an athlete to pass.

No. Did you get yours back?

I rang about the pct and asked how long my security clearance might take, told me mine was back all clear but I wouldnt have been notified until after the pct test.

Happy out

I rang about the pct and asked how long my security clearance might take, told me mine was back all clear but I wouldnt have been notified until after the pct test.

Happy out

That's great news, Patrick. Best of luck on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kells girls

Great news when was your clearance sent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2019candidate

How are you feeling for PCT Thursday? I'm on aswell, very nervous. How you finding the training for it ?

I just reread the email and it mentions 'involves running backwards and forwards between two points 15 metres apart.'..
    Does anyone know , do you have to run backwards aswell? If so I really haven't planned for this.. also how are people training for weights? I'm finding it very difficult to bench 35kg, do you think it will be easier as the machine we'll be doing them on is more a simulation than dead weights? I'm on, on Thursday, so pretty nervous now to say the least...

I just reread the email and it mentions 'involves running backwards and forwards between two points 15 metres apart.'..
    Does anyone know , do you have to run backwards aswell? If so I really haven't planned for this.. also how are people training for weights? I'm finding it very difficult to bench 35kg, do you think it will be easier as the machine we'll be doing them on is more a simulation than dead weights? I'm on, on Thursday, so pretty nervous now to say the least...

You aren't required to run backwards. You run to the first 15 metre marker/line, turn around and run back to the starting point (which would equal 2/40). Rinse and repeat.

Great news when was your clearance sent ?

Passed interview mid july, so I'm guessing early August it was sent

• Advertisement

Passed interview mid july, so I'm guessing early August it was sent

That’s great hopefully we’ll all get back as quick! Best of luck 😉

Has anyone got a number to ring and check up on something?

Has anyone got a number to ring and check up on something?

If you look up ips Longford as far as I know that’s who to call for queries

If you look up ips Longford as far as I know that’s who to call for queries

Cheers I'll call them on lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hmurray15

Does anyone know what the initial training consists of and do you have to be away from home for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

hmurray15 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the initial training consists of and do you have to be away from home for long.

6 weeks portlaoise, 6 weeks Dublin...

5 days a week.

6 weeks portlaoise, 6 weeks Dublin...

5 days a week.

Thanks just wondering how much I have to be away from the kids

Ive been given an appointment with the chief medical officer in a few weeks, I assume that's to do with my BMI etc.

Ive been given an appointment with the chief medical officer in a few weeks, I assume that's to do with my BMI etc.

Step test I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rachiepopz1

Hi my husband did is hearing test yesterday and failed on one ear ! Has this happened to anyone ? Did you still get through ? Or should he book another test before he send off his results .thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Pathfinder2285

I’d say give it another test, A second referral would be ideal, the art to the Audiogram is to concentrate without any distractions from external noises, I missed 1 bleep at a certain frequency and the doctor sent it to the CMO , they phoned me and questioned me about my past (army days ) and were happy to move me on to the next stage, failures mostly come from the environment in which you sit the test, good luck

Does anyone know After the physical how long usually before starting training

hmurray15 wrote: »
    Does anyone know After the physical how long usually before starting training

Depends when you get security clearance back. That's what it all boils down to after all 4 stages passed

Anyone here that has done the physical can you give us any insights?

How strict is it? How many rest periods?

Dreading the 40 shuttle runs

Are you up on the 5th of December

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lorcanber1

Hi all ,
    Passed stage 3 , am fit and healthy I think , does any 1 know at what stage do they look for references from your employer , working at the moment but dont want ips contacting them without me letting them know.

Just a heads up your BMI needs to be below 35 to be allowed do the step test, I've lost a stone but they still wont let me do it because Im at 37, I tried saying that my muscle mass messes up any BMI chart but the said it needs to be at 35 regardless.

Well time to push myself more in the gym:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Just a heads up your BMI needs to be below 35 to be allowed do the step test, I've lost a stone but they still wont let me do it because Im at 37, I tried saying that my muscle mass messes up any BMI chart but the said it needs to be at 35 regardless.

Well time to push myself more in the gym:)

Is it pure gym work you're doing to get the BMI down or mixing it up with other stuff?

Is it pure gym work you're doing to get the BMI down or mixing it up with other stuff?

Mixing it up with and eating better, problem was I didnt get to the gym enough which I've changed now.

Anyone do the physical this week? How did ye get on ? I’m training for mine at mo and stressing over these shuttle runs, I’m not too unfit but still finding hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hemmingsway

Did anyone hear any word back for the fitness stage that placed around the 120 and over merit order of placing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gandijp

Did anyone hear any word back for the fitness stage that placed around the 120 and over merit order of placing?

Have you done the medical yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hemmingsway

Gandijp wrote: »

No not yet. Waiting to hear word back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BK1997

Public jobs just posted recruit prison officer campaign up again for anybody who wants to apply again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Herbalhippie

Hi
    I’m just wondering if any mammys have applied for recruitment. I want to apply but unreal of how long training takes. I heard it was 6 months away from home. Is this true? Also what way does shift work rotate if anybody can give me any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Herbalhippie

Gandijp wrote: »

What was medical like? Is it weight based like guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hi
    I’m just wondering if any mammys have applied for recruitment. I want to apply but unreal of how long training takes. I heard it was 6 months away from home. Is this true? Also what way does shift work rotate if anybody can give me any ideas.

No. It's 12 weeks and you can go home if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Anyone know roughly how many recruits make it through training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone know roughly how many recruits make it through training.

Each and every one of them when I trained. If you show up and just do what you're told, you'll fly it. There's a lot of more written and academic work nowadays and you'll officially be a part-time student as well as a recruit for the first couple of years. What that means is assignments and college work on top of actual shifts.

My advice, stay on top of it and just do it. Might not always seem relevant or worthwhile but it's just got to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kenny80

Anyone got there PCT on the 24th of January ?????????

Anyone from the 2019 Campaign hear any more after they passed the PCT? Interviewed in July & apprently that is when they send off your clearence? Its frustraiting not being able to track any progress or plan anything. I heard of someone from the 2018 campaign who is still waiting so its so hard to tell when we may hear back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement