Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I've noticed a deterioration since the new regime came into effect. I'm getting 5 to 12 Mbps dn, and about half that up, which is just fine for my needs. But I'm getting a lot of what seems to be a total absence of internet for 5, 10 seconds, or even a minute at times. Yet Ookla gives decent ping and data rate figures. TBH I don't have "full bars" most of the time.
    Is it likely to do with a less than perfect signal strength, or is there some DHCP/DNS outage (I'm not a network expert!) going on here? When I go to a new page, even to Google, nothing happens for seconds/minutes and then everything flows along nicely once I get there. Change to a new website and duh.....

I have FTTH (Eir's Rural Broadband) on the pole outside the farmhouse, and my neighbour is luxuriating in 150mbps no contention bliss for €30/mth, which is looking very tempting. It's €30 I'd rather keep in my pocket, and I'm not a gamer nor 4k TV viewer, but this stop/go crud is getting to me.

I wouldn't consider using mobile bb as my only connection if FTTH was outside the door, there's just no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider using mobile bb as my only connection if FTTH was outside the door, there's just no comparison.

As a techie, having been in this game from the days of converting teletypes and IBM Selectrics to work over 50 baud lines, I'd love to have FFTH just to see data move at rates we couldn't have imagined. I'm renting though and I always think I'll find my real home "real soon" so don't want to sign up for 18 months. I've been saying that for 24 months now! Maybe I need to bite the bullet. Or maybe run a Cat 6 cable across to my neighbour? Hmmmm...
    ( apologies for going off the thread topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 westie97

Has anyone tried Vodafone unlimited max in the bill pay plans. There no speed limit or data cap. Do ye think Vodafone could detect I have it in a modem and attempt to charge me a crazy bill at the end of the month that I would be legally obligated to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

As a techie, having been in this game from the days of converting teletypes and IBM Selectrics to work over 50 baud lines, I'd love to have FFTH just to see data move at rates we couldn't have imagined. I'm renting though and I always think I'll find my real home "real soon" so don't want to sign up for 18 months. I've been saying that for 24 months now! Maybe I need to bite the bullet. Or maybe run a Cat 6 cable across to my neighbour? Hmmmm...

If you do run a cat6 cable over please make sure to ground correctly :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

On a dude note IBM were a big supporter of the nszi regime financially

• Advertisement

On a dude note IBM were a big supporter of the nszi regime financially

Ridiculous misspelt post, lay off the evening drinkies aul son.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I don't know how Vodafone connection works but when using something like TeamViewer or AnyDesk the connection constantly drops. I haven't experienced anything like this with other networks.

It feels like the connection is "pulsating" constantly on-off. So anything that requires a constant stream drops off.

Ridiculous misspelt post, lay off the evening drinkies aul son.

Excuse my predictive text mistakes ( fat fingers/ large hands)

Just saw your reply and what’s ridiculous is that IBM were active supporters of the nazi regime and ppl seemingly have no problems with this?
    PS not that it’s any of your business but just to put you right little man,if you’d care to check my posts some refer to non alcoholic drink as I don’t drink, was a time I loved it socially but having lost a sister to the ravages of alcoholism I just lost the appetite for it ,still ( precovid) went to the pub the odd evening for a bit of craic

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I don't know how Vodafone connection works but when using something like TeamViewer or AnyDesk the connection constantly drops. I haven't experienced anything like this with other networks.

It feels like the connection is "pulsating" constantly on-off. So anything that requires a constant stream drops off.
    VF in my area is constantly dropping and rising both with our siro gigabyte and my PAYG don’t honestly know what’s happening last year or so,it can be brilliant 300 plus but can also drop to 40 at times even though I pay for the 1GB effort, still it’s the best of a bad lot in Carrigaline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Does it happen on 3G or 4G or both?

If on windows, open a command line window and run the following command...

ping -t 1.1.1.1

...and check if the drops still occur while using the app.

If that resolves it then look for a "keepalive" setting in the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

VF in my area is constantly dropping and rising both with our siro gigabyte and my PAYG don’t honestly know what’s happening last year or so,it can be brilliant 300 plus but can also drop to 40 at times even though I pay for the 1GB effort, still it’s the best of a bad lot in Carrigaline

Interesting. I wonder if others have the same issues too.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Does it happen on 3G or 4G or both?

If on windows, open a command line window and run the following command...

ping -t 1.1.1.1

...and check if the drops still occur while using the app.

If that resolves it then look for a "keepalive" setting in the app.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

I tried 3G and it's the same. Also ran the ping command. While there are no timeouts, there are high spikes of pings which might be the cause of disconnections. Or I was thinking maybe Vodafone is managing the network and doing it on purpose? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I tried 3G and it's the same. Also ran the ping command. While there are no timeouts, there are high spikes of pings which might be the cause of disconnections.

Try it directly on the phone with the VF SIM, there's an Android Terminal Emulator* app that you can run ping tests on and see if there's any difference between phone and tethered pings (run both concurrently).

You could also check if there's any similar problems with VOIP apps, Viber, WhatsApp etc.

*Terminal Emulator for Android
    Or I was thinking maybe Vodafone is managing the network and doing it on purpose? I don't know.

Possibly, they used to disrupt VOIP in the early days of voice call apps...
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Vodafone+block+voip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

CyberGhost wrote: »

Yeah - it's almost like someone flicks a switch for seconds or a minute that cuts the connection from the cell to the Internet. Yet Ookla usually gives ping figures of say 25 ms and reasonable up/down data rates. I'm tempted to go play with the DNS settings but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

westie97 wrote: »
    Is vodafone X still working for you in a modem with more than 10mbps?

Would be interested in hearing feedback on this also! Currently with Three using a Mifi device however speeds really reduce to nothing during the evenings.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Try it directly on the phone with the VF SIM, there's an Android Terminal Emulator* app that you can run ping tests on and see if there's any difference between phone and tethered pings (run both concurrently).

You could also check if there's any similar problems with VOIP apps, Viber, WhatsApp etc.

*Terminal Emulator for Android

Possibly, they used to disrupt VOIP in the early days of voice call apps...
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Vodafone+block+voip

Definitely throttling speeds at time’s

Excuse my predictive text mistakes ( fat fingers/ large hands)

Just saw your reply and what’s ridiculous is that IBM were active supporters of the nazi regime and ppl seemingly have no problems with this?
    PS not that it’s any of your business but just to put you right little man,if you’d care to check my posts some refer to non alcoholic drink as I don’t drink, was a time I loved it socially but having lost a sister to the ravages of alcoholism I just lost the appetite for it ,still ( precovid) went to the pub the odd evening for a bit of craic

Yawn... Save it for Dr Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Yawn... Save it for Dr Phil.

A bit uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

Hi, how is internet speed on 20e vodafone x prepaid plan (Unlimited Data, maximum speed 10Mbps)?
    Is it good enough for iptv streaming?

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

bondja80 wrote: »
    Hi, how is internet speed on 20e vodafone x prepaid plan (Unlimited Data, maximum speed 10Mbps)?
    Is it good enough for iptv streaming?

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x0.html

Absolutely horrendous for the last month. Actually contemplating going back to three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I have found a lot of lag in the last month also. Basic pages take an age to begin loading. I am currently testing a 48 sim as I left 3 a few years ago for eir and then on to Vodafone x.

• Advertisement

I have found a lot of lag in the last month also. Basic pages take an age to begin loading. I am currently testing a 48 sim as I left 3 a few years ago for eir and then on to Vodafone x.
    48 use three network

Switched from Vodafone to Three myself last week and finding Vodafone speeds a lot more consistent. Average download speeds vary from 10-20 Mbps whereas Three could be around 12 Mbps in the mornings and down to 2-3 in the evenings when or weekends when it's mostly needed making it very frustrating to deal with. Vodafone seems to throttle at times but at least it stays consistently at 10 Mbps rather than Three's fluctuations.

Also have found Vodafone's speed sufficient for streaming.

morchgally wrote: »
    Switched from Vodafone to Three myself last week and finding Vodafone speeds a lot more consistent. Average download speeds vary from 10-20 Mbps whereas Three could be around 12 Mbps in the mornings and down to 2-3 in the evenings when or weekends when it's mostly needed making it very frustrating to deal with. Vodafone seems to throttle at times but at least it stays consistently at 10 Mbps rather than Three's fluctuations.

I am using three sim card with 4g router and speeds in morning and late in the evening are very fast 50 mbps (once was 90mbps), but afternoon and evening speeds are slow 2-5mbps

maybe I will try vodafone for 1 month to check how is for iptv streaming

Yeah it's worth a shot anyway for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

48 use three network

I know, I left 3 when they cut the amount of voice minutes from their package, nothing to do with data

Yeah it's worth a shot anyway for €20.
    did you get this internet speed on prepaid plan vodafone x (Unlimited data, maximum speed 10Mbps) or some another vodafone plan?

did you get this internet speed on prepaid plan vodafone x (Unlimited data, maximum speed 10Mbps) or some another vodafone plan?

Yes Vodafone X

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Vodafone x was fantastic at the start of the promo but things have been on a downward spiral for the past couple of months. Speeds used to be 50mbps plus but now Its dropping below 10mbps and they are blocking many websites.

Eir have increased there unlimited data offer to 120gb per month for 20e and speeds are much more stable compared to vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Vodafone block most iptv streaming in my experience so you'd have to use it with a vpn

Advertisement