Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

westie97 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Vodafone unlimited max in the bill pay plans. There no speed limit or data cap. Do ye think Vodafone could detect I have it in a modem and attempt to charge me a crazy bill at the end of the month that I would be legally obligated to pay?

Vodafone definitely don't stick to the 10Mbps cap for Vodafone X and there's no data cap either. I've been using it in a Huawei router for the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

jdon72 wrote: »
    Vodafone definitely don't stick to the 10Mbps cap for Vodafone X and there's no data cap either. I've been using it in a Huawei router for the last few months

I'd also recommend going this route rather than billpay if you can at all.The peace of mind knowing that they can only take the most recent top up amount from you is worth a lot imo.

Have people who joined Vodafone X more recently not been capped either?

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

westyIrl wrote: »
    I'd also recommend going this route rather than billpay if you can at all.The peace of mind knowing that they can only take the most recent top up amount from you is worth a lot imo.

Have people who joined Vodafone X more recently not been capped either?

Jim

I agree completely regarding the peace of mind.

I think this is the next "evolution". First, there were landlines, now who has them? Most don't and they're usually thrown in for free with deals. Now it's broadband lines and in 5 years, when 5G is mainstream, I think most will be on these types of cheap (€10-20), prepay, unlimited and fast plans.

There will be power users of course who will still have those super fast lines. But for me? Give me stable, unlimited 50/30 and I am happy, I don't need more speed than that.

Plus you have your phone's Internet as a back up tether.

The peace of mind though of not being in a contract, the feeling of freedom, being "untethered" and being in complete control of when you want to use the service and when you don't want to, is amazing!

Are you visiting your friends or family in another country for a month or two? Simply don't top up for the next month or two.

Plus, when things are normal, most of the Internet at home goes unused, people leave early in the morning and come back in the evening. And yet it costs €65+. That's very, very expensive for a utility that is under utilized.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Try it directly on the phone with the VF SIM, there's an Android Terminal Emulator* app that you can run ping tests on and see if there's any difference between phone and tethered pings (run both concurrently).

You could also check if there's any similar problems with VOIP apps, Viber, WhatsApp etc.

*Terminal Emulator for Android

Possibly, they used to disrupt VOIP in the early days of voice call apps...
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Vodafone+block+voip

I tried a ping app on my phone before. There are some delays there but no drops.

WhatsApp cuts out every 2-3 minutes on my phone.

They're definitely doing something. I have 48 (Three network), it's slower, but completely stable.

Here's what a continuous ping looks like between VirginMedia and Vodafone:

I picked the worst segments from both.

VirginMedia
    https://imgur.com/calNxZP
    https://imgur.com/U8g7C9o

Vodafone
    https://imgur.com/hs0W6cx
    https://imgur.com/iaUobSJ
    https://imgur.com/7JRtrwG
    dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Yeah - it's almost like someone flicks a switch for seconds or a minute that cuts the connection from the cell to the Internet. Yet Ookla usually gives ping figures of say 25 ms and reasonable up/down data rates. I'm tempted to go play with the DNS settings but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that stuff!

That's it! How would DNS help though? I think they have a traffic manager of some kind. This is deliberate, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I tried a ping app on my phone before. There are some delays there but no drops.

WhatsApp cuts out every 2-3 minutes on my phone.

They're definitely doing something. I have 48 (Three network), it's slower, but completely stable.

That's it! How would DNS help though? I think they have a traffic manager of some kind. This is deliberate, I feel.

This is interesting. I would always recommend Vodafone as being the "business" network and for me the best for the oddball places I like to go - out on the "wild atlantic" edges where VF is often the only chance of decent reception. But this behaviour is slowly changing my mind. I got a 48 SIM yesterday and so far it's impressive, yet I have had so many instances of Three lying about coverage, and so am reluctant to change. There's a mast a few KM away from me up on Mount Leinster that according to Comreg is Vodafone LTE, and I get a 3 or 4 bar signal off it, but data rates of 0.1-ish mbps most of the time! It has been like that in the 2 years I've been here, so it's not since the throttling.
    My suspicions about DNS or similar is just a hunch - it seems like the big hesitation is when I change websites so I'm imagining that it's the initial lookup is the delay and once the website in "engaged" it seems to move along better. I got out of electronic design before networking and the WWW took off seriously, though I was around for the internet before web browsers, so my imaginings could well be total BS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Vodafone block most iptv streaming in my experience so you'd have to use it with a vpn
    No block

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Eir have increased there unlimited data offer to 120gb per month for 20e and speeds are much more stable compared to vodafone.

FYI Gomo also offer 120 GB on the Eir network for €13 per month. First month free if you sign up through Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

UPDATE: I'm nearly certain Vodafone has started sticking to the 10Mbps cap (in my area anyway). I was getting consistently high speeds on Vodafone X but in the last week or two, I've noticed it has gotten a lot slower. When I do any speed tests, it normally starts off fast but quickly reduces to about 10Mbps. Today, I got a free An Post Mobile sim (which is on the Vodafone network) to compare speeds and the An Post sim is consistently a lot faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

[QUOTE=CyberGhost;115262869 Now it's broadband lines and in 5 years, when 5G is mainstream

[/QUOTE]

5G will never be mainstream. It's coverage is too short and of course it caused the covid crap. ;) Wait for 6G

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'll ask here as well - are iPhones from vodafone.ie shop locked to Vodafone?

• Advertisement

UPDATE: I'm nearly certain Vodafone has started sticking to the 10Mbps cap (in my area anyway). I was getting consistently high speeds on Vodafone X but in the last week or two, I've noticed it has gotten a lot slower. When I do any speed tests, it normally starts off fast but quickly reduces to about 10Mbps. Today, I got a free An Post Mobile sim (which is on the Vodafone network) to compare speeds and the An Post sim is consistently a lot faster

The initial burst is about 20Mbps, which is good, helps load sites quicker so it's not too bad.

What's bad is Vodafone managing traffic and cutting connection every couple of minutes I described a page or two ago. If there were no issues with that, it'd be fine.

The initial burst is about 20Mbps, which is good, helps load sites quicker so it's not too bad.

What's bad is Vodafone managing traffic and cutting connection every couple of minutes I described a page or two ago. If there were no issues with that, it'd be fine.

Same happening here and o presume all over, but tbf its mostly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Does anyone know if any of the Irish networks allow you to use a sim in a mobile broadband router? And by allow I mean don't stop you.
    Thanks

Same happening here and o presume all over, but tbf its mostly fine

What I'd like to know is: Is this something intentional that Vodafone are doing? Or is it just heavy traffic / lack of equipment and it'll improve eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Does anyone know if any of the Irish networks allow you to use a sim in a mobile broadband router? And by allow I mean don't stop you.
    Thanks
    I'm using a GoMo sim in a tp link router for the last year, working fine, used a three sim prior to that but speeds were consistently slow.

What I'd like to know is: Is this something intentional that Vodafone are doing? Or is it just heavy traffic / lack of equipment and it'll improve eventually?

It’s intentional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Thanks
    Just make sure the router is unlocked, am thinking of trying the eir 14.99 offer to check if speed is any better, shouldn't be as they are working off the same network but am curious to find out, it's a 30 day contract so won't be tied in if it's same as GoMo which I have for 12.99 for the router and 9.99 for mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Thanks

Don't think any of them block SIMs in modems BUT it would need to be a non network modem.

For example, a VF broadband router provided as part of a contract would most likely block a PAYG phone SIM. Ditto with a Three provided modem. Don't know what Eir does.

Thanks for the info guys.

In case anyone is wondering what limit VF have set for X, it's 953.7TB

https://www.comreg.ie/compare/#/services

• Advertisement

Hi guys, just in relation to the gomo sim, is this a 12 month contract or a rolling SIM that I can cancel with 30 days notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi guys, just in relation to the gomo sim, is this a 12 month contract or a rolling SIM that I can cancel with 30 days notice?

30 days notice.

It's 30 day rolling contract.

If you leave gomo (or any network) by porting to another network then you don't need to give notice...the porting process closes your account. If you're in a contract with a handset included then you can't leave without penalty until the contract term is over...but that doesn't apply with gomo as they don't sell handsets.

If you cancel without porting then you lose your number so don't do that...always let the recipient network handle porting. Any charges due to donor network will issue in a final bill after number is ported.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Dannyman76

It's 30 day rolling contract.

If you leave gomo (or any network) by porting to another network then you don't need to give notice...the porting process closes your account. If you're in a contract with a handset included then you can't leave without penalty until the contract term is over...but that doesn't apply with gomo as they don't sell handsets.

If you cancel without porting then you lose your number so don't do that...always let the recipient network handle porting. Any charges due to donor network will issue in a final bill after number is ported.

I'm still getting unpaid bill notices months after portung, glad I changed my card details before switching.

I'm still getting unpaid bill notices months after porting, glad I changed my card details before switching.

Any chance it's in credit ie they owe you money?

JTMan wrote: »
    30 days notice.

Has anyone tried to sign up through Revolut? I went through the revolut app, put in all my details but it's still asking for payment at the end, there's no promo code being automatically added to give the first month free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I get one every month without fail.. 6.47 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Dannyman76

No chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

In case anyone is wondering what limit VF have set for X, it's 953.7TB

https://www.comreg.ie/compare/#/services

Thanks for that link Ten Pin. 953.7TB seems a bit surreal but just noticed that Post Mobile show on the list as having a 512GB data allowance but Post Mobile's own page shows it's only 50GB. Odd typo. Also 3pay top up showing 97.7TB allowance.

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

I'm on bill pay with VF on 45eur month mobile plan with unlimited speed -everything works sweet when I use my sim in Huawei B315 modem or sharing internet from mobile hot spot - getting around 80Mb/s download and 20 upload, on the same spot with VFx it's diferent story - in my case forget about using this as broadband sim in a modem - speed is limited to max 10-12 , and ping can be over 200ms, trying to do anything is a pain

Advertisement