Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Sometimes it's not the accent, it's the perceived attitude.

Prince Philip is incredibly popular among some people here because he is seen as a kind of anti-establishment figure who doesn't give a flying fark about protocol (even though he is nothing of the sort).

One strategy is to pretend to be American. People will fawn over you.

I don't think The Greek is popular at all. I think Irish people just find his idiocy amazingly funny and every racial slur he spouts more hilarious than the last.

IMHO the reason Irish people think he's great is because he shows up the idea of monarchy for exactly what it is, outdated nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think The Greek is popular at all. I think Irish people just find his idiocy amazingly funny and every racial slur he spouts more hilarious than the last.

IMHO the reason Irish people think he's great is because he shows up the idea of monarchy for exactly what it is, outdated nonsense.

Absolute Balderdash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Cant be agreeing with that at all. Prince Philip has that 'sure feck it' attitude that us Irish tend to love.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Maybe they just dont like you OP.

Only time my nationality comes up is when it comes to watching football or rugby, and will I support Ireland or England, and then its only from a few, and in the form of banter.

In 16 years I have never been refused service, the closest i have incountetered xenophobia or sectarianism i could count on one hand, half of which was from drunks, and the others making assumptions based on my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

If you read the post it never says I was refused service. I was implying some people can be chippy. Rolled eyes and whispers when the brit changes his order,,,it does get noticed,
    blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business
    This is what's in the first post, is this not refusal of service? Looks like it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Mint Sauce wrote: »

We have stated this a few times to the OP, but he does not want to accept it. More convenient for his agenda to rabbit on about Irish insecurity etc....

Its not us OP, its you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

explain this difference

You like Mrs. Brown's Boys, we think it's ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

diomed wrote: »
    Lesson 1: The name of the country is Ireland or Éire, not Republic Of Ireland.

He's just being descriptive. The OP just wasn't sure how to distinguish from Northern Ireland. He is is from the Constitutional Monarchy of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Cant be agreeing with that at all. Prince Philip has that 'sure feck it' attitude that us Irish tend to love.
    "If people feel it has no further part to play, then for goodness sake, let's end the thing on amicable terms without having a row about it."
    • On sentiment against the British monarchy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter ....just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

That's how we like it here - to go about our business unhassled.

What are you looking for; people to recognise you are English and bow to you, doff their hats, roll out a red carpet and sing God Save the Queen for you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 contactbackup

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Only time my nationality comes up is when it comes to watching football or rugby, and will I support Ireland or England, and then its only from a few, and in the form of banter.

In 16 years I have never been refused service, the closest i have incountetered xenophobia or sectarianism i could count on one hand, half of which was from drunks, and the others making assumptions based on my name.
    Why is everyone saying about being refused service. I never said that but it seems to be what the masses here have digested from the thread. Very odd.

McGaggs wrote: »
    You like Mrs. Brown's Boys, we think it's ****e.

Yet how many irish TV awards does it have...whats its viewing figures. It is loved by the same ilk.

We have stated this a few times to the OP, but he does not want to accept it. More convenient for his agenda to rabbit on about Irish insecurity etc....

Its not us OP, its you.

Clearly not. I get along well with Irish people except the ones who use terms such as Mott or Deadly.

Noblong wrote: »
    I think their was a certain rugby set your after op. People like Tony O' Rieally .ect
    But you may as well be chasing cambrige rowing nowadays.

Babelfish says no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Stating fact at the end of a post does not make it so. Even if you are 12, which you very well just might be.
    I have no victims complex I just started a debate on a issue that exists on a message board. I don't let it effect my life and it doesn't or can't have any effect on my professional life.

There are some, not many, Irish people who have such a brittle sense of identity that anything that might remotely suggest to them that the Republic is anything less than picture perfect in every respect, is a personal affront to them. No different from the scumbags who I occasionally met in London who never failed to bring up potatoes, Guinness, the IRA or pronounciation of the letter "H".

TL;DR there are pr1cks everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Babelfish says no

I see you've met D4 then. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I don't think a lot of people know what Sectarianism actually means on this thread:p

As a protestant growing up in East Donegal I never had any issues at all. This might have something to do with the fact that the area is pretty much split 50/50 in terms of population. Also, there seems to be a lot more mixing and intermarriage in this area than across the border.

The only time I have ever had anything which could be construed as malicious directed at me was some inbred Kerryman while at Trinity of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I don't think a lot of people know what Sectarianism actually means on this thread:p

As a protestant growing up in East Donegal I never had any issues at all. This might have something to do with the fact that the area is pretty much split 50/50 in terms of population. Also, there seems to be a lot more mixing and intermarriage in this area than across the border.

The only time I have ever had anything which could be construed as malicious directed at me was some inbred Kerryman while at Trinity of all places.
    he might have thought you were an inbred Donegalman ........just saying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Was on holidays in Puerta Del Carmen last year, stayed in a really nice hotel & as we went in September it was really after quietening down in the hotel. There were only maybe 20 people staying in the whole place. Everyone very friendly, nice & quiet...apart from the English couple that was staying there.

The guy used to go down to eat his breakfast every morning topless, with his tshirt tucked into his shorts. Have no idea why he couldn't put it on!

By the pool everyone lazing around either chatting, reading a book, in for a quiet swim or whatever. It was lovely really quiet. Until the English couple came. He used to bring an English flag down to the pool with him & tie it across the back of the 2 sunbeds. Still no problem with that I just found it pointless. He & his wife would drink cocktails all day & get absolutely destroyed drunk & get very. Literally the entire pool area could hear their conversations. We were there 10 days & they had sex in the swimming pool two or 3 times. No need it it with elderly people around & also I didn't want to be swimming in their contaminated water.

What took the biscuit though was on our last night me & my girlfriend were coming home after being out for dinner & a few drinks. We found the English couple passed out in the foyer of the hotel. She had pissed herself & one of the 2 of them had gotten sick. They were an absolute disaster & yes that experience did put me off English people. They're just ignorant people. There was no need for any of those incidents to happen but they did due to the ignorant & crass nature of the English people. That chip on their shoulder isn't going anywhere any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Was on holidays in Puerta Del Carmen last year, stayed in a really nice hotel & as we went in September it was really after quietening down in the hotel. There were only maybe 20 people staying in the whole place. Everyone very friendly, nice & quiet...apart from the English couple that was staying there.

The guy used to go down to eat his breakfast every morning topless, with his tshirt tucked into his shorts. Have no idea why he couldn't put it on!

By the pool everyone lazing around either chatting, reading a book, in for a quiet swim or whatever. It was lovely really quiet. Until the English couple came. He used to bring an English flag down to the pool with him & tie it across the back of the 2 sunbeds. Still no problem with that I just found it pointless. He & his wife would drink cocktails all day & get absolutely destroyed drunk & get very. Literally the entire pool area could hear their conversations. We were there 10 days & they had sex in the swimming pool two or 3 times. No need it it with elderly people around & also I didn't want to be swimming in their contaminated water.

What took the biscuit though was on our last night me & my girlfriend were coming home after being out for dinner & a few drinks. We found the English couple passed out in the foyer of the hotel. She had pissed herself & one of the 2 of them had gotten sick. They were an absolute disaster & yes that experience did put me off English people. They're just ignorant people. There was no need for any of those incidents to happen but they did due to the ignorant & crass nature of the English people. That chip on their shoulder isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Just as well the Irish don't act like this while on hols

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

You sound like someone who cries into their pillow when someone makes fun of them. Go figure.

'Go figure'..what part of the USA are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

LorMal wrote: »
    'Go figure'..what part of the USA are you from?

Wow you're a bright one. Did that make you feel like a big man? Maybe you can look your missus in the eye today when she manhandles you into the bedroom.

That's how we like it here - to go about our business unhassled.

What are you looking for; people to recognise you are English and bow to you, doff their hats, roll out a red carpet and sing God Save the Queen for you ?

Nasty, insecure, chip on the shoulder..

Wow you're a bright one. Did that make you feel like a big man? Maybe you can look your missus in the eye today when she manhandles you into the bedroom.

Ha! Spoken like a true American!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ignorance is easily take advantage of. I've won lot of bets with drunks who's version of their own history is very limited. The amount of people who don't realise that Cromwell was a regicide is hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

catbear wrote: »
    Ignorance is easily take advantage of. I've won lot of bets with drunks who's version of their own history is very limited. The amount of people who don't realise that Cromwell was a regicide is hilarious!

Indeed, he chased some of my ancestors out of England, over here. Some are still here, so the place can't be that bad. I think what people are inclined to forget is, how intertwined the English and Irish are genetically. Perhaps they could be best described as squabbling members of the same family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ha! Spoken like a true American!

Well you've got an American wit, or a very dull one in other words.

Well you've got an American wit, or a very dull one in other words.

its Texas, ain't it? I'm right, ain't I? Have you got a Cowboy hat and a pick up truck?
    Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

i will live in hope that all ejits in this thread will have a stroke and die :-)

oh **** might get banned

that first line of book I am writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

its Texas, ain't it? I'm right, ain't I? Have you got a Cowboy hat and a pick up truck?
    Go figure

:confused:

Really?

:confused:

Advertisement