Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Jaysus the state of him. 7 years stuck inside in a building without so much as going for a walk to the shops - his brain must've turned to mush.

One of life's true hero's. Sacrificed so much for the greater good. The world needs more people like him.

The odd bit bit of rape here and there never hurt anyone I guess :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

is_that_so wrote: »
    Who actually remembers him? And for what?

Who remembers Assange the guy who was arrested just today? Everybody on this thread for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I know if charges are dropped, surely the bail conditions attached to those charges should be scrapped also.
    But having said that, what would I know I'm just a farmer

Surely with all the bale's of hay lying around your backyard, you'd know about bail conditions?

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I thought it was Padre Pio.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Aegir wrote: »

When was he convicted of rape?
    Character assassination would be much more likely imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kirby wrote: »
    The PewDiePie generation, ladies and gentleman.

We are f*cked.

He hasn't even been on Keemstar's channel, so he can't be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who remembers Assange the guy who was arrested just today? Everybody on this thread for one.
    But quite a few didn't even recognise him. It's the era of fast moving social media where yesterday is already forgotten. He was famous once for doing the world a service but it turns out he was a bit of an arse of man and holed up for seven years because his ego told him he was important, only to emerge looking like the hermit from Life of Brian. Now there's likely to be a raft of legal stuff to go through, which may or may not result in convictions. The end

Aegir wrote: »

Charges were dropped. Political anyway. Not sure why the U.K. arrested him.

Basically this is the arrest of a journalist.

There’s an interesting alliance against Assange though from far right to Democratic left.

I mean in the sense of the Democratic Party in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He wasn't convicted of rape, because when he was released on bail, he breached his bail conditions and fled to the Ecuadorian Embassey where he was granted asylum. He's been there since this morning. So he never faced trial for rape like he was supposed to.

But of course, I'm pretty sure you know all that already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I know if charges are dropped, surely the bail conditions attached to those charges should be scrapped also.
    But having said that, what would I know I'm just a farmer

You're conflating two things. He was required to uphold the conditions of his bail and to appear before a British Court. He breached the conditions of his bail and did not present himself for the court. This is an offence entirely independent of what did or didn't happen in Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

There’s an interesting alliance against Assange though from far right to democratic left.

Isn't there though? Guess everyone must have skeletons in the closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

whistleblower McCabe has his rep sullied with a child molestation document

Assange accused of rape

hmmm

It's a charge not a conviction, still open in Sweden AFAIK and I believe he's prepared to face it. It's US extradition he was trying to avoid.

Penn wrote: »
    He wasn't convicted of rape, because when he was released on bail, he breached his bail conditions and fled to the Ecuadorian Embassey where he was granted asylum. He's been there since this morning. So he never faced trial for rape like he was supposed to.

But of course, I'm pretty sure you know all that already.

The charges were dropped. This doesn’t seem to be the reason he was arrested. It’s on foot no doubt of an American extradition warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

They had to arrest him, he was the subject of a European Arrest Warrant.
    He is no journalist , just a well paid Putin puppet!

There’s an interesting alliance against Assange though from far right to Democratic left.

I mean in the sense of the Democratic Party in the US.
    No, it's the arrest of someone who skipped bail and needs to answer that charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Trump will be delirious with this, he will totally go to town on Assange.

?

Didnt Wikileaks help Trump win the election?

Clinton Emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

The charges were dropped. This doesn’t seem to be the reason he was arrested. It’s on foot no doubt of an American extradition warrant.

He has been arrested for breaching his bail conditions which is a specified offence in and of itself.
    But I suspect you are right re the US- apparently there is a sealed indictment against him so he should be on his way to the land of the orange jumpsuit soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Hahah I love this Retro Russian thing, it's so 1980s. But yeah, even IF he was a Putin patsy the files he leaked were real - even if they were biased, they were real. He exposed the **** show underbelly of many things - and for that he has been reviled by those in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

He has been arrested for breaching his bail conditions which is a specified offence in and of itself. But I suspect you are right re the US- apparently there is a sealed indictment against him so he should be on his way to the land of the orange jumpsuit soon enough.

The land of the free!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The charges weren't fully dropped. Some of the lesser ones were, but the main one can still be re-opened if he re-enters Sweden before some time next year (because of the statute of limitations). The reason he was arrested now was for breach of bail conditions which stemmed from the sexual assault/rape charges.

?

Didnt Wikileaks help Trump win the election?

Clinton Emails?

Sort of. The emails were pretty soporific. The FBI/Comey "investigation" kept it alive.

Lol. The whole Putin thing shows how much the militaristic Democratic Party has a hold on the Irish mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

One of life's true hero's. Sacrificed so much for the greater good. The world needs more people like him.

The whole wikileaks thing is vastly over-rated if you ask me!

Penn wrote: »
    The charges weren't fully dropped. Some of the lesser ones were, but the main one can still be re-opened if he re-enters Sweden before some time next year (because of the statute of limitations). The reason he was arrested now was for breach of bail conditions which stemmed from the sexual assault/rape charges.

He’s really been arrested to hand him over to the US, of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you're required by your bail conditions to appear before a court in future, and you subsequently breach your bail, it doesn't make a difference whether you're innocent or guilty, you've still committed an offence by breaching the court's instructions.

Regardless of your opinion of Assange and what he's done, it's pretty clear why the UK have arrested him.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The whole wikileaks thing is vastly over-rated if you ask me!

It didn’t reveal very much in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The timing is interesting though. He was initially arrested on foot of a European Arrest Warrant - could he have escaped censure in the UK for skipping bail if there was /will be a no-deal Brexit? Given that the Britain is out of the EAW system in a no-deal scenario. #tinfoilhatpost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lol. The whole Putin thing shows how much the militaristic Democratic Party has a hold on the Irish mind.

Don't be ridiculous now.

Advertisement